Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:58   #1
RiverRatMatt

Mounting an RDS on a Pistol

I want to get an RDS for my Glock 19. I've already decided on a Trijicon RMR, but am finding the mounting aspect to be an issue.

Basically, I have four options.

1. Buy a dovetail adapter and sacrifice my rear sight semi-permanently. I like this option but does it put the sight too high?

2. Have my Glock's slide milled. This will have an unknown effect on reliability due to weight change and possible drop in structural strength. Moreover, I have no idea how much this would cost and don't know any places in Idaho that do this.

3. Buy a gun with a pre-milled slide. This doubles or triples the price of the project and the only gun I can find that has a pre-milled slide is the FNP-45 Tactical, which is a $1000 dollar gun (out of my price range).

4. Buy a pre-milled Glock slide from Brownell's. $270 and an unknown effect on reliability and accuracy.

Any ideas on how to approach this?
RiverRatMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:28   #2
cciman

I like options 1, 4

1 is cheapest
1,4 are retraceable-- ie you go back to stock platform without risk.

One other option, not mentioned is to buy a complete used Glock upper and start from there-- thus = or < the same price as the Brownell slide, complete with internals with barrel, then the above also still applies. If not likey, the upper with the option (x) for RMR will still garner a higher resale price.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:32   #3
RiverRatMatt

That's a good idea, any guess as to how much it would cost to get the slide milled?
Old 10-05-2012, 22:16   #4
Mark Housel

mine in bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRatMatt View Post
I want to get an RDS for my Glock 19. I've already decided on a Trijicon RMR, but am finding the mounting aspect to be an issue.

Installation packages including the RMR start at $675 (That's MSRP for the RMR itself. Yeah I know that no one pays MSRP.

Basically, I have four options.

1. Buy a dovetail adapter and sacrifice my rear sight semi-permanently. I like this option but does it put the sight too high?

No BUIS are possible since the dovetail is used for the RDS mount. Yes, this does put the RMR much higher above bore line. Some are OK with this. AAYMWV

2. Have my Glock's slide milled. This will have an unknown effect on reliability due to weight change and possible drop in structural strength. Moreover, I have no idea how much this would cost and don't know any places in Idaho that do this.

This has ZERO affect on reliability or structural integrity of the slide. Having done many hundres of these personally, there has never been a reported issue. The weight change is negligible as there is nearly as much weight in steel removed as is added by the RMR.
Basic milling portion of the job is $145

3. Buy a gun with a pre-milled slide. This doubles or triples the price of the project and the only gun I can find that has a pre-milled slide is the FNP-45 Tactical, which is a $1000 dollar gun (out of my price range).

Pre-milled, RMR equipped Gen 3 G17/G19 starting at $1199.
Any Glock model available, prices my be higher.

4. Buy a pre-milled Glock slide from Brownell's. $270 and an unknown effect on reliability and accuracy.

Still no effect on reliability or accuracy if you buy a Glock OEM slide or quality aftermarket slide. The barrel you put in the slide may have some effect.

Any ideas on how to approach this?

see above

"I have learned that wisdom can be as simple as substituting facts for assumptions."
Mark Housel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:30   #5
Irelander
Glocker

I vote for option 2. If you are going to put an RDS on your pistol, then do it right. Having your slide milled with place the sight nice an low so that you can position your sight alignment just as if you were using open sights. The milling does not cost that much and they make cover plates for the milled section of your pistol in case you want to go back to open sights and temporarily fill in the milled section of your slide. Check out Bowie Tactical's sight or L&M Precision.

There are enough people out there with milled slides for an RDS that have no issues with them that I'd say its a pretty good bet that you will not have any reliability issues. Also, if you get the slide milled it will most likely have a better resale value if you decide you don't like it later on.
Irelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 23:12   #6
RiverRatMatt

Well, I think I'm going to backburner this for now and upgrade my iron sights. There doesn't seem to be anybody around Boise, ID that does or has ever done the slide milling process :/
Old 10-11-2012, 06:52   #7
Mark Housel

Quote:
Well, I think I'm going to backburner this for now and upgrade my iron sights. There doesn't seem to be anybody around Boise, ID that does or has ever done the slide milling process :/
Mailing a slide isn't like shipping a gun. It's just a piece of metal.
Just pop the top end off the pistol and send it in a USPS Small Flat Rate box.

"I have learned that wisdom can be as simple as substituting facts for assumptions."
Mark Housel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:53   #8
DaveFJ80
Señor Member

When I had an RMR on my G19, I bought a separate slide and had it milled and used that. That way I could swap between the 2 slides, and it wouldn't hurt when selling them separtely later.

Quote:
Well, I think I'm going to backburner this for now and upgrade my iron sights.
If you're going to mill your slide and get a RMR, you're going to need taller suppressor sights. Otherwise the factory sights are way too low and will not be anywhere near your red dot when you're trying to align them up. If you know for sure what you're going to, spend the money once and get the right sights for your application.
DaveFJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote