Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-03-2012, 21:15   #1
ithaca_deerslayer

What AR do I want?

$1,000 to $1,500. It will be next tax return season (coming fast, after Fall, after Christmas, then bingo! ) Price does not include scope.

I have no AR's and no experience with them. I have an .223 Interarms Mark X that likes 55gr but keyholes 62gr. I have a Saiga unconverted 16" 7.62x39. Live in the ban state of NY, so just as if the federal ban is still going on (exact same law, just never expired here). Which means most plain stuff is available, but flash suppressors and bayonet lugs have to be pre-ban, I believe. Pre-ban 30 round mags are around for money, 10 rounders are standard.

I kinda like the looks of the older M-16 style rifles. But it'd be nice if the handle came off in case I wanted to scope it. Probably be nice if the front sight came off for the same reason. But I've seen a fixed handle pre-ban that I'd consider, for the classic blac rifle style.

I don't have a specific purpose in mind. Don't need, but want. My Saiga is a good home defense gun and has a detachable side mounted scope. I've got my bolt .223 for woodcucks. A Savage 10FP .308 for playing sniper. And a couple more bolts in .308 and .30-06 for deer.

I think accuracy expectations are something like 1.5" at 100 yards would be nice (if scoped and a good day of my shooting). My Saiga will do 3.5". My 10FP I can do .75". So, over 2" would not thrill me much for this type of gun. If my expectations are unrealistic for this type of gun, I adjust them. I'm quite happy with my Saiga.

Partly I want to get an AR while I can. Not saying they will be outlawed, just saying I want one to sort of stick my nose up at any anti-gun movements. I'll find some 30 round mags for that reason, too.

Home defense use is a possible reason or use, but mainly this would just be a range gun. Not a safe queen, as I would shoot it. But looking like a Vietnam era rifle might be one preference (conflicts with scoping it, so I'm not sure).

Of course, I don't want any jams either. Hopefully as reliable as my Saiga

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 10-03-2012 at 21:40..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 21:28   #2
FnKev

Colt 6920 with an Aimpoint H1 and call it a day.

FnKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 21:28   #3
XDRoX

If I were you I'd just go through all the ar15 pic threads and find the one that you thinks looks the coolest and then build it.
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 22:44   #4
sps

Hey Slayer,I'm a .308 guy all the way. ar-10t-fal, just never got in to 5.56/.223. Now I'm not knocking them,I just never used one much. I carried an m-14 and sometimes an m-60.
I'm getting older and softer I guess-7.62 got some recoil to it so I bought an Armalite m-15 a4 rifle. It is a flat top with a 20" barrel- all milspec. I bought the removable carry
handle and front sight for it. I am going to buy a nikon m series or p series scope that's made for .223 rifles. The rifle shoots awesome,I love this thing and it is a ball to shoot.
I already have an older armalite in .308 so I know they build quality rifles. A buddy of mine said it's almost impossible to find a used Armalite for sale so that should tell you something, nobody gets rid of them. Take a look at them .
sps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:43   #5
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

A basic AR is a 3-4 MOA rifle.

A good AR can easily be a minute gun or better with decent ammo and shooter.

the basic Colt 6920 is an excellent starting point. A LaRue or Noveske is even better but above your price point. Then again, you get what you pay for.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:35   #6
PAGunner

I just bought a Colt 6920MP-R, so my vote after researching it goes to Colt 6920. It is thee AR to have IMHO.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:45   #7
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Daniel Defense DDM4V7-5.56

$1699 MSRP with removable front/rear sights

They also make a version in 6.8 SPCII, which you may want to consider for more power and increased range.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:12   #8
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
A basic AR is a 3-4 MOA rifle.

A good AR can easily be a minute gun or better with decent ammo and shooter.

the basic Colt 6920 is an excellent starting point.
So what should I expect from the average Colt 6920 for accuracy?

Do these interchange .223 and 5.56 no problem? My favorite .223 ammo for my bolt is Black hills blue box 55gr soft point. Will that run good through one of these AR's?
Old 10-04-2012, 06:22   #9
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
Hey Slayer,I'm a .308 guy all the way. ar-10t-fal, just never got in to 5.56/.223. Now I'm not knocking them,I just never used one much. I carried an m-14 and sometimes an m-60.
I'm getting older and softer I guess-7.62 got some recoil to it so I bought an Armalite m-15 a4 rifle. It is a flat top with a 20" barrel- all milspec. I bought the removable carry
handle and front sight for it. I am going to buy a nikon m series or p series scope that's made for .223 rifles. The rifle shoots awesome,I love this thing and it is a ball to shoot.
I already have an older armalite in .308 so I know they build quality rifles. A buddy of mine said it's almost impossible to find a used Armalite for sale so that should tell you something, nobody gets rid of them. Take a look at them .
That Armalite sounds interesting.

I'll probably let a lot of women shoot this gun, too. So the .223 fits in with that. I do NRA pistol, but sometimes we have events and include long guns for them to try. The Saiga is a hit with them, but the mag change is not intuitive on it.

I like the idea of a fixed stock, but I realize adjustable is flexible for letting other shooters try. In the end, I'll pick what I like, but was just thinking of potential uses for it, like letting newbies try it out
Old 10-04-2012, 06:30   #10
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
Daniel Defense DDM4V7-5.56

$1699 MSRP with removable front/rear sights

They also make a version in 6.8 SPCII, which you may want to consider for more power and increased range.
If more power I'd probably go for a military style wood semi-auto in one of the .30 variety. 6.8 is probably great, but I don't want a new caliber in my house, if I can avoid it. Although maybe a 10mm someday

What features make the Daniel Defense desirable compared to the less expensive stuff? Asking because I really don't know much about any of these guns.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:17   #11
G23Adam
.- -.. .- --

Go for a Colt, BCM, or Daniel Defense first. That way you know what a properly operating AR should be for subsequent purchases.

The extra money is paying for better QC and better parts to begin with.
NRA Member - GSSF Member - .40 S&W Club #133 - 1911 Club #133 - Freemason's Lodge #133 - Black Rifle Club #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
G23Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:11   #12
GWG19

AR wise I have Ruger SR556, Colt 6724 and a DPMS SBR that I have a couple of different Uppers for.
The Colt 6724 will shoot sub MOA.
THE SR556 is good for 1 to 1.5 from a rest.
The DPMS is just plain fun to shoot. I run the 11 inch upper suppressed and the AR 57 upper is the 6 inch with the GemTech can on it.
GWG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:27   #13
TheBelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by G23Adam View Post
Go for a Colt, BCM, or Daniel Defense first. That way you know what a properly operating AR should be for subsequent purchases.

The extra money is paying for better QC and better parts to begin with.
/thread

So 'true'. Nothing 'false' with a dog.
Either they love you, or they can't stand you.
RIP Lilly
TheBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:42   #14
SFW

I'm a huge fan of Rock River Arms. I've had my Elite Operator for a little over a year and it shoots sub MOA all day long. I've got about 3000 rounds through the rifle without a single hiccup. Now some will scoff that RRA does not have a milspec barrel, but I think that the RRA barrel is actually better than milspec. All debate able, but they are a hell of a lot of gun for the money.
Old 10-04-2012, 13:44   #15
bmoore

I am a big BCM fan after buying my 14.5 inch lightweight middy. Call me a fanboy or whatever, they make quality equipment and you get what you pay for.
Old 10-04-2012, 14:25   #16
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Can't go wrong with a Colt. I prefer the 6720.
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 14:41   #17
scccdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
So what should I expect from the average Colt 6920 for accuracy?

Do these interchange .223 and 5.56 no problem? My favorite .223 ammo for my bolt is Black hills blue box 55gr soft point. Will that run good through one of these AR's?
My new Colt "Sporter" is a 5.56 Nato. I shoot .223 with no problem, but I understand that a .223 chambered rifle may be dangerous with 5.56 rds shot thru it due to the more powerful rd............DOC
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:01   #18
Gbannan

Colt.
Gbannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:22   #19
TattooedGlock
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Save $100 more. For $1600 you can pick up and LWRC which you'll love. I had one for a long time before I sold it due to needing some quick cash for another project. Stupid me.

I just replaced it with a POF which is simply amazing. But the LWRC is a really solid amazing gun in its own right.

GSSF Life Member
1911 Club and Big Dawg Member
TattooedGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 19:45   #20
mgentry

Sig 556
mgentry is offline   Reply With Quote