GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-29-2012, 16:15   #21
SmithietheFox

Purchased one 5 years ago and no matter how "clean" I get it, after a few days when I pull it out of the closet there is light rust covering almost a quarter of the gun. Had I known that before I purchased it I'd have looked at a Mossberg.

Always looking for German Weatherby Customs and Stoner 63A parts and accessories.
SmithietheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 16:28   #22
CrackerKen

I've had my Mossberg M590A1 sitting in the corner of my bedroom for 9 months now. No hint of rust. However, mine is parkerized.
FL Glockers #442
CrackerKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 22:31   #23
BossGodfrey

The finish is **** ! Remington QA has gone down hill period. When I was at the prison two years ago, they ordered four new 870's. Model 5077 with the two shot ext. First day on the range two of them failed to load a second round because of a damn burr in the mag tube. Had to spend 30 minutes with a rat tail file to get them to load all five in the tube. There is no excuse for that bull**** period. From now on I'll spend the extra 80.00 and get a 590 ! Remington can suck it !
Old 10-03-2012, 22:44   #24
Inebriated

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossGodfrey View Post
The finish is **** ! Remington QA has gone down hill period. When I was at the prison two years ago, they ordered four new 870's. Model 5077 with the two shot ext. First day on the range two of them failed to load a second round because of a damn burr in the mag tube. Had to spend 30 minutes with a rat tail file to get them to load all five in the tube. There is no excuse for that bull**** period. From now on I'll spend the extra 80.00 and get a 590 ! Remington can suck it !
The Express is a shotgun built to meet a price point.

Don't expect Police/Wingmaster quality without paying Police/Wingmaster prices.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 23:32   #25
sharpshooter

The cheap Express finish comes off way too easy with 600 grit paper and a few minutes of elbow grease. You can completely strip the barrel, for example, in about 2 minutes. Comes right off.

Since Remington can't produce a non-rusting finish on the Express, they should include a $30 Duracote do-it-yourself kit in every box, which is 1000x more durable.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 14:50   #26
Vigilant

I have one 870P in Cerakote, and it has been great. The other two are factory parked, probably about 10 years old. They were all part of the same batch that Bud's Police Supply had from Nebraska State Police. The two parked guns, I just spray generously with Rem Oil, leave 'em standing barrel down to let the excess run off, and after a day or so of drip dry, they are good to go. Using this method, I have never even had to wipe the excess oil off. Of course, i do keep some strong dessicant in the safe.

If it were not for the fact that we are issued 870s, and qualify with same, I would probably go with Mossberg.
Old 10-05-2012, 19:42   #27
owl6roll

Send a message via AIM to owl6roll
Huuummmm....really? Not had a problem!! CLP is a good thing.
Old 10-05-2012, 20:24   #28
BossGodfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
The Express is a shotgun built to meet a price point.

Don't expect Police/Wingmaster quality without paying Police/Wingmaster prices.
What I expect for 350.00 is a freakin shotgun that will function without filing on it for twenty minutes first. Maybe that's to much to ask from Remington now !
Old 10-06-2012, 04:19   #29
captdreifus
aSun666

Are you guys also finding rust on the bolt, bolt face, and inside the chamber area?
Old 10-06-2012, 09:59   #30
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by captdreifus View Post
Are you guys also finding rust on the bolt, bolt face, and inside the chamber area?
just exterior surface rust on mine before gunkote
Old 10-08-2012, 13:36   #31
The Outrage

I have a Remington 870 with the "Tactical Gray" power coating. It is rusting on the receiver, which is making the gray powder coating bulge, and it is rusting on the magazine tube, which uses the regular "crude" black finish. Personally, I wouldn't purchase an 870 again.
The Outrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 16:42   #32
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

The finish is bad, and has been for several years. I know my cousin bought one and his started showing rust. Mine is a regular synthetic 26" but I put a Hogue stock and forearm on it. Added a 18" Remchoke barrel and a Wilson 2 shot mag extension.

I covered the receiver in Militec and then took a paper towel and just used some elbow grease and kinda scrubbed on it, and it's actually helped it a lot. The finish is lousy but it doesn't rust whenever I touch it anymore. The easiest way is to just always wipe it down after you touch it.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:47   #33
whitebread
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My 870 express with stock finish will show some rust colored discoloration after a day of hunting in the rain, but it will wipe off with some Ballistol. All guns need to be cared for regardless of what finish they have...even stainless steel ones.
whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote