Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-30-2012, 18:26   #21
alank2

Hi,

I recommend Ameriglo classic night sights. You can get the front with a slimmer width in a variety of heights. The height flexibility would allow you to do a custom sight setup that you could be within +/- 3" vertically within 100 yards, etc.

Good Luck,

Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
alank2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 19:56   #22
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

My new favorite is the Ameriglo I-Dot sights. It has great sight picture, the front sight is just right for me, not so wide that everything is congested (like Glock brand sights), but not so thin that you have to work to get it centered up. Great sight picture and gives a nice two-dot night sight setup for low-light situations. Even better is that they're $60 at CTD.

Last edited by SDGlock23; 09-30-2012 at 19:57..
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:48   #23
johncalloway

So are y'all recommending slimmer or a fatter front sight for precise shots?
johncalloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:03   #24
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncalloway View Post
Slimmer, no question.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 20:50   #25
ProCarryNAustin

Send a message via Yahoo to ProCarryNAustin
Quote:
For me, slimmer works better for precise shots.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:58   #26
Any Cal.

You just need something to reference. A wide sight with a small dot can work, or even a plain black wide sight can work with the right target. It is hard shooting a shotgun hull at a distance with a fat sight, but it can be hard to see a super fine sight at all in some conditions(think steel Colt single action sights). Everything will be a compromise to some extent somewhere. Realistically, practice with whatever you have is probably more important than whatever you end up with.
Any Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:36   #27
johncalloway

I have racked my brain through hundreds of sights trying to figure out what I need. I want something I can take bullseye accurate shots at 25 yards, and something I can see in no light if a big hog gets after me walking out of the stand. I will have a flashlight, but probably won't be able to see my sights unless they are tritium night sights. But don't feel like tritium sights are precise enough.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:30   #28
piperman

Based on everything that you are looking for, you sound like how I was. I would say, .100 front sight, TFO type, so that you have the tritium and the FO. Plain black rear sight. That will probably be the best compromise.

Steve
piperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:20   #29
johncalloway

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperman View Post
Based on everything that you are looking for, you sound like how I was. I would say, .100 front sight, TFO type, so that you have the tritium and the FO. Plain black rear sight. That will probably be the best compromise.

Steve
How am I going to know what will match up?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:05   #30
piperman

I went to the web sites, and first off, I don't see that you can get the front TFO sight by itself, which I find odd. What I would say to do is you could call Lone Wolf and ask them to let you know what black rear sight would match up with the TFO sights, you may have to buy the set of TFOs. I don't remember where I got mine at, I have a green TFO front sight and a black serrated rear sight. These work great for shooting USPSA and IDPA as well as anything else I want to do. I will say that if you are looking for quick acquisition in the dark, the rear won't let that happen. It is very hard to see the rear sight quickly in the dark, as you may well imagine.

Also, the front sight with the TFO set, may line up with the factory rear sight, I was looking at mine, seems to be a very close match.
piperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 15:37   #31
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
I have racked my brain through hundreds of sights trying to figure out what I need. I want something I can take bullseye accurate shots at 25 yards, and something I can see in no light if a big hog gets after me walking out of the stand. I will have a flashlight, but probably won't be able to see my sights unless they are tritium night sights. But don't feel like tritium sights are precise enough.
If you stumble upon a hog (or vice versa) in the dark, it WILL be: Draw; Point; Shoot. There will be no "aim". You won't see your sights. You won't hear the shot. If your rounds are filled with Blue Dot, you WILL get a snapshot of about a 25 yd diameter. Think muzzle flash is bad? You are mistaken. A large muzzle flash will be your only chance at a follow up shot if you are being run down. The flash will allow you to see where your bullet travels, and where the target is. Your flashlight will have already screwed your night vision more than the flash will. You'll be amazed what practice coupled with adrenaline will do for you. The adrenaline will dilate your pupils and elevate your senses. If you aren't scared, with the adrenaline pumping, then you're poaching, in most states (after dark).

Practice Point-Shoot, often. Live it. Learn it. It's the only method that will save your bacon in the dark (except for dumb-luck). Your sights won't matter, one bit. Not the slightest bit. Night sights are ONLY effective against a lighted target, if you have time to aim. A flashlight is only effective until you draw, or begin to draw. At night, it ain't gonna happen in the sticks.

That said, I like the TFO's, and use them.
Old 10-03-2012, 22:19   #32
Any Cal.

I was thinking along the lines of dm. The odds of getting an aimed shot on a small dark object racing toward you in the dark are slim. Just put the sights you want on it for the daytime and know a shot in the dark is, well, a shot in the dark...:-)
Any Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:19   #33
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Quote:
Slimmer for sure. Too slim can present and issue to IMHO. I had a fiber optic setup where my rear sight notch was .180" wide and my front fiber optic post was .115" wide...that's too thin IMHO as it was really too roomy. If I had a good way of taking a picture of my I-dots I would. The front sight is slim enough to be precise too.