GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:55   #26
ray9898

How does the type of weapon a intruder has make any difference? You are going to fight back with the best option you have available. I am going to use the most superior mean I can get my hands on, does not matter if I am facing a rifle, handgun or knife.

Last edited by ray9898; 10-03-2012 at 10:38..
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:59   #27
NH Trucker
Needs coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyksos View Post
Saiga 12 > rifle in a home defense situation I would believe.

I agree. Semi-auto firing 20 rounds of 00 buck is the best equalizer I know of. That's why it's my go-to gun for home defense.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
NH Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:15   #28
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
I concur that a good really strong door will do a much better job of allowing one to potentially prevail in a home invasion than any specific choice of firearm. That and avoiding drugs and associations with criminals/gang members.
Common sense security measures and avoiding associations with criminals. Agree.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:17   #29
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwm View Post
As I read this, I am indeed comforted by the pistol residing in my shorts. I have lived in places in the past that taught me no place is safe if you don't make it safe.
Like I said, use common sense security measures put in place before hand. As to a gun in the shorts... whatever. It might actually come in handy... if your not caught with your pants down, i.e., by surprise. If that happens... your toast.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:18   #30
Drain You
NRA member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Trucker View Post
I agree. Semi-auto firing 20 rounds of 00 buck is the best equalizer I know of. That's why it's my go-to gun for home defense.

God god man, you'd have no sheet rock left.
Drain You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:19   #31
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch View Post
This is a good reason to keep your gun on your person while in your home.

I seldom do this anymore, but it's no less a good idea.
Common sense security measures put in place before hand will in almost any instance prevent any need to have immediate instant access to a firearm. Why? Because those attempting will not be able to get in without significant delay. That will certainly afford one time to call 911... take loved ones to a safe room and arm ones self to wait till police arrive.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:20   #32
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Agreed.

If a man enters your house with a rifle and has the element of surprise your goose is cooked in most cases. That said, I'd like a shotgun if its a situation where I actually have time to take defensive measures.
No argument from me!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:39   #33
gatorboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwm View Post
As often as the cops raid the wrong house, criminals do it far more often. Avoiding drugs and scumbags is a false sense of security, as they can come for you, even if it is through stupidity.

Example. I live at: ABC Liberty Road. (Fake address)
Another fellow with the same first and last name lived at:
ABC Liberty Street.(Similar Fake address)

I got his motorcycle insurance bills, doctor bills, tax refund checks, and when he died a lot of sympathy cards. If he had a bad drug deal go down, I could very well have been attacked in the middle of the night with no warning.

It can happen.

And in my world, decent neighborhoods are what DRAW criminals to the area. More to steal than in bad neighborhoods.
Of course it can. Unless you build your home on land that only tee pees were on centuries ago, you could take the wrath of a targeted HI intended for the previous owner. I'd say if the
mail was addressed to ABC Liberty Rd., the mailman is an idiot. If had the correct address, the companies who were sending the stuff is to blame. Either way, your initials and address with Ave. in bold on the inside of the door Could have put a stop to that. How annoying!

I was just saying of things we're able to control. You're right, anything could happen.

I also agree about the rifle being used. It's not a theatre full of unsuspecting sitting ducks. I don't train often (enough) with long-guns. I can move and more importantly take cover with a handgun. If the fight comes to me, I hope to have enough time to put any armed intruders out of their comfort zone and off their plan. If it's them dead on the foyer or running off, I could not care less. What kind of weapon they have matters little since the outcome will likely be decided in less than 15 seconds.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:03   #34
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Remington 12GA with Centurion Multi Defense loads.

The Okie Corral
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:23   #35
NH Trucker
Needs coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain You View Post
Good god man, you'd have no sheet rock left.

Just means fewer walls for an intruder to hide behind

And sheet rock is easy enough to replace.

NH Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:43   #36
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
How does the type of weapon a intruder has make any difference? You are going to fight back with the best option you have available. I am going to use the most superior mean I can get my hands on, does not matter if I am facing a rifle, handgun or knife.
I think it determines how full your drawers might be...
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:56   #37
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
If someone burst into your home armed with anything... handgun or rifle or shotgun, they will run your business regardless of what you have to reach for simply because they will have their gun in their hand and you will be reaching your hand out for a gun. If you have a handgun in your shorts... you may get to fire back a shot or two. But if they burst into your home and you have to go get something other than a weapon secreted under the couch cushions, you will be toast.

Reality is that one is better off putting up properly thought out security features such as fence, outside lighting, alarms, quality doors/windows. Then and only then is it worthwhile to pay any attention to some sort of firearm. Do the other stuff first. Then do motion detectors, etc. inside, a safe room, and... a firearm of whatever type you think best. For most folks, that's a shotgun.

Ah but that's why you fortify your home. I spend much of my time in the bedroom where my entertainment is. TV, computer, girlfriend, etc. Right next to me, my mossberg 500, and depending if I have pants on, glock 19 in my pants.

Now in order to get to my bedroom, you need to first bust open my locked door, neutralize the two dogs I have in the living room (rottweiler that isn't too friend'y with strangers to begin with and a german shepherd) THEN go to the right room of course, and get past that locked door. I think even if you knew my home's layout, I'd still have plenty of time to grab my mossberg 500 and flip the safety off it.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 14:52   #38
racerford

Has anybody seen that Doomsday Bunkers show where there were flame jets shooting out of the handrails to the bunker. They got that from me except the rails upstairs to the bedroom are longer and jets go out in a V from each rail. Sure it can be hard on the paint, but it is worth it.

j/k (maybe)
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 16:00   #39
svtpwnz

I keep my G29 condition C1 on me while in the house at all times except when I sit down to watch TV. Then it gets unholsterd and put beside me on the couch.
svtpwnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 16:15   #40
RonS

Time is going to come when people figure it out. Everyone knows who the thugs are, they have been through the revolving door multiple times. Time to remove them from society and the gene pool. One violent crime and you get to see the grass from the side with the roots.

They can pay their debt to society with a couple of kidneys, a liver etc.
Old 10-03-2012, 16:52   #41
jeepinbandit
Sgt. USMC

Send a message via Yahoo to jeepinbandit
Same way I'd defend against any other threat in my house. Alarm goes off, call 911, hole up in my room looking towards the stairs (I sleep on the second story) Wait for cops to show up or badguys to come up the stairs. I have insurance on all the crap downstairs, if they steal my TV and bounce I could care less but you come up the stairs I'm going to stop you.
Old 10-03-2012, 17:09   #42
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
If someone burst into your home armed with anything... handgun or rifle or shotgun, they will run your business regardless of what you have to reach for simply because they will have their gun in their hand and you will be reaching your hand out for a gun. If you have a handgun in your shorts... you may get to fire back a shot or two. But if they burst into your home and you have to go get something other than a weapon secreted under the couch cushions, you will be toast.

Reality is that one is better off putting up properly thought out security features such as fence, outside lighting, alarms, quality doors/windows. Then and only then is it worthwhile to pay any attention to some sort of firearm. Do the other stuff first. Then do motion detectors, etc. inside, a safe room, and... a firearm of whatever type you think best. For most folks, that's a shotgun.
It only takes a few seconds to grab a gun and be ready to fire it. Properly secured doors will provide a few seconds to prepare for what's on the other side of the door. I have 5 locking devices on my front door to deter the uninvited, which should provide me enough time to acquire and aim one of my firearms at an intruder.

How many locks are on your front door? How often is it left unlocked?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:22   #43
johnd

Send a message via ICQ to johnd
Meh.....dont care if they wheel in a howitzer, your job is to shoot first and kill the threat. They are in the wrong and you are in the right. They never expect that any victim will do that and thats why victims are called victims
johnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:09   #44
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Release the Kracken
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:19   #45
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
I've got good locks, and good doors.

Good luck "busting" down my door before I can wake up and call the cops.

Hell, I doubt a police ram would get through the door on the first 3-4 swings.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:26   #46
mike g35
RACEGUN SHOOTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
Meh.....dont care if they wheel in a howitzer, your job is to shoot first and kill the threat. They are in the wrong and you are in the right. They never expect that any victim will do that and thats why victims are called victims
I like this response. Very true. Once a victim becomes a defender of their territory the worms turns. Typical criminals are chicken s#^t's anyway. That will show right through when they experience the sound of my handgun or even better the nice warm feel of a 124gr hollow point in their chest. And remember, just because they have an AR doesn't mean they can use it properly. My money is on me....I know my home better and I know how to aim.

mike g35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:11   #47
654Boomer

AWESOME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Trucker View Post
Just means fewer walls for an intruder to hide behind

And sheet rock is easy enough to replace.
654Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:55   #48
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
Ah but that's why you fortify your home. I spend much of my time in the bedroom where my entertainment is. TV, computer, girlfriend, etc. Right next to me, my mossberg 500, and depending if I have pants on, glock 19 in my pants.

Now in order to get to my bedroom, you need to first bust open my locked door, neutralize the two dogs I have in the living room (rottweiler that isn't too friend'y with strangers to begin with and a german shepherd) THEN go to the right room of course, and get past that locked door. I think even if you knew my home's layout, I'd still have plenty of time to grab my mossberg 500 and flip the safety off it.
I personally prefer using all my property rather than just a few rooms, without obsessing over the infinitesimally small possibility that indians may launch a raid. Common sense step taken to secure the premises will just about entirely negate any need to go around cocked and locked twitching waiting for the possibility of a bump in the night.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:04   #49
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
It only takes a few seconds to grab a gun and be ready to fire it. Properly secured doors will provide a few seconds to prepare for what's on the other side of the door. I have 5 locking devices on my front door to deter the uninvited, which should provide me enough time to acquire and aim one of my firearms at an intruder.

How many locks are on your front door? How often is it left unlocked?
It's your house. It's your choice. Personally, I simply secure the premises in a common sense manner. Multiple locks may or may not be effective. There are many good options for doors/windows, etc. A fence is a wonderful and often attractive way to greatly add security to ones property... and at the same time add value.

In my case, someone trying to gain entry into the house will have to come off the street, negotiate the gate... the dog... come up the drive to the house... get in through most likely the car port door... and then they will face me. As soon as they approach the house motion detectors will alert me to their presence. If I consider them a threat, I will punch 911 and wait for them to enter the house. If the police arrive promptly, they'll have fun trying out their latest training routine on the criminals outside the house. If they should batter the door off its hinges and enter the house, I will be waiting. In the last 33 years, I have not had to entertain any such uninvited guest. Reason? In the first few years of being married, I learned to secure windows and doors effectively.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:47   #50
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
It's your house. It's your choice. Personally, I simply secure the premises in a common sense manner. Multiple locks may or may not be effective. There are many good options for doors/windows, etc. A fence is a wonderful and often attractive way to greatly add security to ones property... and at the same time add value.

In my case, someone trying to gain entry into the house will have to come off the street, negotiate the gate... the dog... come up the drive to the house... get in through most likely the car port door... and then they will face me. As soon as they approach the house motion detectors will alert me to their presence. If I consider them a threat, I will punch 911 and wait for them to enter the house. If the police arrive promptly, they'll have fun trying out their latest training routine on the criminals outside the house. If they should batter the door off its hinges and enter the house, I will be waiting. In the last 33 years, I have not had to entertain any such uninvited guest. Reason? In the first few years of being married, I learned to secure windows and doors effectively.
Sounds like a good layered plan.

My house is in a gated community, so we are not allowed fences, gates, or dogs unleashed. I have little faith in our security patrols, and little respect for them, as they are largely ineffective. Hence, numerous locks, hoping that they will provide me enough time to get a gun aimed at the door and whatever comes through it.

Hopefully my preparations will never be tested.