SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:06   #1
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Cut your own damn food kid

I seen a growing trend that has me concerned that the future generations of American will be screwed in the future.

I'm at a diner eating lunch, sitting at a table and facing a booth. In the Booth is a mom and two kids. The girl is about 12 years old, and the boy is a big 6 foot tall skinny teenager with a local high school hoodie on.

Food comes to the booth and the daughter hands her plate to Mom, and she proceeds to cut her food up for her. I'm thinking, that is silly , my kids learned to cut there own food at an earlier age.

Then the teenage boy pipes up and says "Mom" and hands over his stack of pancakes for his mom to cut up

For the record, the kids did not seem to be mentally handicap, or physically disabled...just lazy.

Pancakes...PANCAKES!! A Toddler with a butter knife should be able to cut up pancakes.

The sad thing is this isn't the first time I seen it. I have even seen it with other kids in my family. What the heck is wrong with kids these days. Back in the day, I would have been embarrassed to have my parents cut my food.

Last edited by Bilbo Bagins; 10-03-2012 at 16:08..
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:08   #2
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Good lord. What is wrong with people?

Yes, my mom did the same thing to meat (steak, chicken, etc.) when I was 5-6 at the latest, but she was worried I would choke.

After that, I was on my own.

Unreal.

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:13   #3
Bren
NRA Life Member

That sounds pretty crazy. Never seen anything like that, but in a world where people need a helmet to ride a bicycle, I'm not surprised.

reminds me of this:

The Okie Corral

Last edited by Bren; 10-03-2012 at 09:16..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:53   #4
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Bagins View Post
I seen a growing trend that has me concerned that the future generations of American will be screwing in the future.

I'm at a diner eating lunch, sitting at a table and facing a booth. In the Booth is a mom and two kids. The girl is about 12 years old, and the boy is a big 6 foot tall skinny teenager with a local high school hoodie on.

Food comes to the booth and the daughter hands her plate to Mom, and she proceeds to cut her food up for her. I'm thinking, that is silly , my kids learned to cut there own food at an earlier age.

Then the teenage boy pipes up and says "Mom" and hands over his stack of pancakes for his mom to cut up

For the record, the kids did not seem to be mentally handicap, or physically disabled...just lazy.

Pancakes...PANCAKES!! A Toddler with a butter knife should be able to cut up pancakes.

The sad thing is this isn't the first time I seen it. I have even seen it with other kids in my family. What the heck is wrong with kids these days. Back in the day, I would have been embarrassed to have my parents cut my food.
I cut up my son's food.

He's 2.

At 12 he better either cut his own food, swallow it whole, or he's gonna starve.

There has to be more to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:59   #5
mgs
Always Carrying

Does not shock me.....Adults still live at home with Mommy and or baby Daddy. No shame these days.
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:03   #6
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Was the mom hot, though?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:06   #7
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

I've seen it too. It's discouraging and depressing but not much shocks me today.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:19   #8
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:22   #9
Drain You
NRA member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Bagins View Post

The mom probably saw you staring her kids down, identified you as a gun nut and was just keeping anything away from her hoodie wearing son anything you might perceive as a weapon, leastwise you stand your ground.

That or the entire family is lazy/stupid.
Drain You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:33   #10
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
I've seen it alot. Crazyness. I can't imagine that at that age.

I remember when I was a kid and one of my friends was with my mom and I. He got a baked potato at lunch and wanted my mom to put the butter and sour cream in it. We were 7 or 8 at the time.

She told him to do it himself and he figured it out. Come to fi nd out hia parents did that for him even at that age.

I thought that was odd enough at that age. Can't imagine it at that old.

Last edited by captainstormy; 10-03-2012 at 10:34..
captainstormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:38   #11
stolenphot0
RTF2 Addict

I think my niece at 10 still isn't allowed to use a knife. I handed my daughter her own sharp knife at 8 and have at it. I am about to upgrade my other daughter to a sharp knife and let her go to town.

stolenphot0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:39   #12
harlenm

My 3 year old has been cutting his own food for the past year. We still mostly cut if for him, but he knows how to do it.
harlenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:40   #13
The Dying Gaul

I made Jello with my kids the other day. There was actually a warning on the box about not letting a child under the age of 6 eat the jello without it being cut into small pieces and without being under the supervision of a parent.

You have got to be kidding me. Kids today are obviously so weak, they cannot even eat Jello with the fear of choking?

All 3 of my children where eating chicken and steak as soon as they had their 2 front teeth. They eat peanut butter, hot dogs, whatever. They have never choked. At 3, they knew how to use a knife and scissors.

We have friends that baby their children and don't let them do anything remotely risky. Some are still eating baby food after a year. These children are in general weak and are the ones that choke or get hurt.

He's silly and he's ignorant, but he's got guts and guts is enough.
The Dying Gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:02   #14
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

My 9 month old is already feeding herself (no utensils yet...) so no, I don't see myself cutting her food much past the age of 3.
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:19   #15
skinny99
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm View Post
My 9 month old is already feeding herself (no utensils yet...) so no, I don't see myself cutting her food much past the age of 3.
I just cut up the grilled chicken for my 10 months old lunch. I make her feed herself things that can can be easily picked up by her. But I really don't have to make her do it. She already wants to do things for herself. She has been eating a mix of real food and baby food since before she was 6 months.

I don't believe in babying kids. They will just turn out weak and have no independence. That doesn't mean that you don't protect them. You can't let truly dangerous and deadly things happen, but you can let fail and fall and learn on their own.

We are being brainwashed as a society to overprotect and give in it to our kids wants. That is not how it is supposed to be. Everyday I see to commercials that talk about their kid being a picky eater. Of course the commercials answer is some over sugared drink that is no good for them. A copout for the parents who doesn't want to stand their ground and be tough.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:34   #16
Batesmotel

This is what happens when typical "helicopter/power mommies" get out of control.

That crap didn't fly in my house but I fully expect to see it from two of my three sisters in law.

My daughter (24) was at the cabin playing with one of her young cousins (about 4). The girl wanted to see the bugs under the rocks and asked my daughter to lift them. My daughter showed her how to lift small ones herself. My niece told my daughter she couldn't because she would get in trouble if she came back with any dirt on her hands.

This was at a cabin in the woods next to a stream and many of my nieces and nephews are not allowed to play outside except on the deck.

I know many young kids (nieces and nephews included) who do not do any chores like clean bedrooms, wash dishes, wash clothes because mommy does it for them.
Old 10-03-2012, 13:20   #17
Buki192327

The kids don't know how to cut anything with a knife. They only know to stab something with a knife.

www.BuckeyeFirearms.org

Sub Club #46
Buki192327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 13:29   #18
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

It is pathetic that learning responsibility is considered to much of a burden on youngsters growing up now.

In my family the first thing taught to children is responsibility, for themselves and others.

My father used to say, "NO one is going to do it for you". No one did, back then.

He also used to say, "How do you know you can't, if you have never tried!".

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 13:37   #19
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
This is what happens when typical "helicopter/power mommies" get out of control.

That crap didn't fly in my house but I fully expect to see it from two of my three sisters in law.

My daughter (24) was at the cabin playing with one of her young cousins (about 4). The girl wanted to see the bugs under the rocks and asked my daughter to lift them. My daughter showed her how to lift small ones herself. My niece told my daughter she couldn't because she would get in trouble if she came back with any dirt on her hands.

This was at a cabin in the woods next to a stream and many of my nieces and nephews are not allowed to play outside except on the deck.

I know many young kids (nieces and nephews included) who do not do any chores like clean bedrooms, wash dishes, wash clothes because mommy does it for them.
I've seen things like this so many times. The "helicopter mommies" will be the downfall of this country, as they continue to raise total wussies.

IGF
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 13:41   #20
JFrame

It appears we are careening toward the Eloi faster than H.G. Wells could have ever imagined.

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 13:54   #21
Chuck TX
CLM Number 243
Charter Lifetime Member

I've seen it. Still can't believe what a sissified society we've become.

I was wandering around on a ranch with a Zippo and a fixed blade by 6. These days folks would think that's crazy. I have a theory about delegating (or not) personal responsibility at a young age.
Old 10-03-2012, 13:58   #22
larry_minn
Silver Membership

When my nephew was @6 he stayed with me for two weeks. He wanted me to cut crust off bread/etc. I told him to eat it all or at least eat up to crust. He did every meal after that. His mom came to pick him up and he wants "mommy" to cut crust off bread. :(
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 14:01   #23
NIB

I was cooking my own food at 5 years old!
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 14:39   #24
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny99 View Post
I just cut up the grilled chicken for my 10 months old lunch. I make her feed herself things that can can be easily picked up by her. But I really don't have to make her do it. She already wants to do things for herself. She has been eating a mix of real food and baby food since before she was 6 months.

I don't believe in babying kids. They will just turn out weak and have no independence. That doesn't mean that you don't protect them. You can't let truly dangerous and deadly things happen, but you can let fail and fall and learn on their own.

We are being brainwashed as a society to overprotect and give in it to our kids wants. That is not how it is supposed to be. Everyday I see to commercials that talk about their kid being a picky eater. Of course the commercials answer is some over sugared drink that is no good for them. A copout for the parents who doesn't want to stand their ground and be tough.
Guess I didn't get the memo on over-protection. My philosophy is simple, if there is a credible danger I destroy the danger/protect my children. But if they fall down and go boom... "Get up, brush off, get back to it." Worked with my 15 year old, will work with my 9 month old (already is... you know as a parent when they are hurt, then you coddle them when it's real... but a bump? Meh... creates massive wimps).
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 14:45   #25
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolenphot0 View Post
I think my niece at 10 still isn't allowed to use a knife. I handed my daughter her own sharp knife at 8 and have at it. I am about to upgrade my other daughter to a sharp knife and let her go to town.

By 8, my nephew was field dressing his own deer. maybe earlier - he started killing deer and turkeys at age 4. He has his own guns, bows, knives, and was saving for a new Bennelli shotgun last I heard.