Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:24   #26
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGlocker View Post
A tablet is not a laptop and if you bought one thinking it would be a laptop replacement you didn't do your research.
Buy any 7"-10" tablet, skip they keyboard because that's like putting diamond ear rings on a pig.
A tablet is a media consumption device that is capable of light work.
They are designed for internet browsing, reading email, playing games, e-books, music and possibly reading/light editing documents.
They are for doing all this on the go, train, airplane, in the car or at the Dr's office waiting room.
I have a iPad2, Nexus7 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" and 10", all are great for what they were designed to do. If I need to work on the go I break out the MacBook Air, but if I want to be entertained on a 6 hour flight I use my tablet.
Go into it as an educated customer to avoid disappointment. One more time, A tablet is NOT a laptop replacement.
My 7" tablet will slip in the thigh pocket of my cargo shorts and I can watch a movie in HD, answer a few emails or browse some forums while riding the crowded metro 45 minutes into DC then pop up Google maps and navigate to where I'm going once I'm downtown. That's what a tablet does that laptops can't.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
Good post.

You know I got into this one-bagging kick when flying and I'm looking to trim ounces. iPad is very heavy and primarily only used for movie watching on planes and pdf references when working. I'm wondering if a 7" tab might be the ticket here.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 10-03-2012 at 09:26..
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:40   #27
wjv

Samsung

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:04   #28
ray9898

Ipad 2. Great value right now considering the 3 is out and it is still more than capable for what it does.

I also added a BT keyboard/stand combo. I know some said earlier it was 'pointless' but I found it makes browsing and typing much more comfortable to me.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:25   #29
Blankshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
Ipad 2. Great value right now considering the 3 is out and it is still more than capable for what it does.

I also added a BT keyboard/stand combo. I know some said earlier it was 'pointless' but I found it makes browsing and typing much more comfortable to me.
Exactly right. It's all personal preference. I can't stand typing on a 7" tablet and found a great keyboard on sale shipped for less than 30 bucks. I don't use it every time I turn on the tablet, but worth having nonetheless.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Blankshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:44   #30
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Good post.

You know I got into this one-bagging kick when flying and I'm looking to trim ounces. iPad is very heavy and primarily only used for movie watching on planes and pdf references when working. I'm wondering if a 7" tab might be the ticket here.
It is. I quit carrying my 12" Mac laptop because of the weight. And it doesn't weigh much.

Everything NMglocker posted is true. A tablet IS NOT a production device. It's something you can stuff in a pocket for light use on the go. IMO the N7 is the perfect size at a ridiculous price. I looked at an iPad, but due to the size, weight, and price you may as well go with an Air.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:03   #31
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Good post.
concur. hit the nail on the head.

Once in awhile, a tablet can step up and get a notebook sized job done if you have no other choice, but its tedious.

Though not a tablet, the macbook air is in the same space. If i had procured a macbook air first and had limited funds, i'd skip the tablet altogether.

No one should be buying any tablet this month, at all, until the ipad mini comes out so that can be assessed. I do have some limited use for a tablet as a consumption device, but do defer to the ipod touch to watch video instead of the bigger iPad if i wish to be discreet. gets the job done. IPAd is mostly for a bigger screen if i'm viewing on the go and have the time to deal with/carry it.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:05   #32
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
Funny how people try and turn the tablet back into a notebook.

Macbook air is the future. Genius in style, design and function. maximum overdrive with an IPAD-close form factor and mega productive by comparison, plus you can just watch on it if that's all you want to do.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:06   #33
Drain You
NRA member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coqui33 View Post
Hardware: Something with a pop-out keyboard, like the ASUS slider.

I had no idea that existed. Looks like I'd break it within 2 months though.

To answer the OP, I am probably getting the already recommended 7 inch Nexus. I love playing on an iPad but the screen is just too big for prolonged handling.

But I plan on watching movies on it too so maybe I'll wait and see what Apple comes out with.
Drain You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:12   #34
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Apple's dominance of the tablet market is declining fast. Currently it is down to 52%. a Year ago Android had less than 20% of the tablet market. Today it holds 48%. That is a huge increase in market share in just a year.

Look for it to continue. A year from now expect to see Android with the dominant market share.

As it did with Smartphones Android will dominate not by building a BETTER tablet than iPad but by building CHEAPER tablets with reasonable performance and features.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:14   #35
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain You View Post
But I plan on watching movies on it too so maybe I'll wait and see what Apple comes out with.
The N7 is great for movies. Just DL VLC beta and go to town. I love my iMac, but iOS is rapidly losing ground to Android for a reason.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:50   #36
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushflyr View Post
It is. I quit carrying my 12" Mac laptop because of the weight. And it doesn't weigh much.

Everything NMglocker posted is true. A tablet IS NOT a production device. It's something you can stuff in a pocket for light use on the go. IMO the N7 is the perfect size at a ridiculous price. I looked at an iPad, but due to the size, weight, and price you may as well go with an Air.
100% Yup.

If you can, as G29 says, check out the 11" air for travel. Complete game changer.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 13:28   #37
sbhaven

Like others have said the tablet will not replace a laptop. Like others have said typing on the 7 inch Nexus 7 can be difficult. And it kind of defeats the purpose to have to drag along a keyboard to use the tablet for heavy typing. However you can use voice typing like I am now to type messages and replies.

As others have indicated the iPad mini is coming out soon and while Apple tends to charge significantly more for their products it maybe worth waiting to see what hardware the mini has at what price point.

While some claim the Nexus 7 memory is limited, you can expand the memory with the use of a USB-OTG cable and the addition of a free app. With the use of this cheap cable you can access USB external devices and hard drives along with SD cards and micro SD cards.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by sbhaven; 10-03-2012 at 13:33.. Reason: spelling
sbhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 13:40   #38
coastal4974

I’m waiting for the TF700 to ship with a stable Jelly Bean OS. If that does’ t happen soon, I’ll give Galaxy another look.
Old 10-03-2012, 14:42   #39
jtmac
Señor Member

Send a message via AIM to jtmac Send a message via Yahoo to jtmac

If you want a 7" size tablet, the Nexus 7. It's the best price to performance combination there is.

If you want a 10" size tablet, the iPad 3. It's the best tablet, period (and I love my Android tablet).

For equally powerful devices with equally nice screens and equally up to date operating systems, it comes down to form factor. Almost all Android tablets are 16:10 or 16:9--much longer one way than the other. That's like a paperback, and it's fantastic at 7 or 8 inches and smaller. In the 10 inch range, that becomes unwieldy and I think that it's absolutely stupid that almost every Android tablet at that size comes in that screen size ratio. For large tablets, the iPad's 4:3 screen ratio is the most sensible.
Old 10-03-2012, 15:01   #40
rppnj

Our whole family have iPads...me, wife, daughter, son-in-law, both grandkids...and...most of our friends...we love our iPads and and so does everyone else I know who have them!

'Integrity is who you are and what you do when no one is watching.'
-rppnj
rppnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 15:25   #41
boomhower

iPad. Pretty much the only thing I do on my computer I can't do on it is convert movies to put on it and photo storage. I love the iPad. For typical consumer computer use it can do just about everything.

I have zero confidence in Microsoft being able to compete. For them to be competitive they are going to have to have iPad quality hardware and software at a cheaper price and I just don't see that happening.

If Apple comes out with a $250 iPad mini it's just going to be game over.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 15:46   #42
VANWALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
If I only has $200 to spend or I really wanted a smaller form factor, Nexus 7 is the only choice. I would buy no other android tablet. 100% stock 100% supported by google.

If I had $500 to spend iPad all the way. Mainly because all of the apps come first to iPad and get the updates the fastest. There are many more business class apps available for iPad as well.
This is what I would do
VANWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 17:16   #43
RyanSBHF

[QUOTE=jtmac;19481635]If you want a 10" size tablet, the iPad 3. It's the best tablet, period (and I love my Android tablet).

How can the "best tablet" lack basics such as an SD card slot, USB port and direct HDMI out?

A Monarch leads a Monarchy.

Hillary Clinton leads a Country.
RyanSBHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 17:57   #44
Haldor
Retired EE

I would put myself into suspended animation until the iPad Mini was out then buy it.

I do not own any Apple products, but I have been looking at tablets for some time now and Apple has the most stable and usable tablets available.

If I really had to buy a tablet today it would be a Nexus 7.
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 17:59   #45
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Because it's a tablet and not a laptop/netbook?

My Droid has HDMI out and an SD slot but no USB. Everything is a compromise.

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 18:00   #46
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Calling iProduct stable is a bit of a misnomer when you can't do anything with it other than what it wants you to do.

Old 10-03-2012, 18:01   #47
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

2x4's are stable as well but if you can't install third party nails and make it a house what's the point?

Last edited by syntaxerrorsix; 10-03-2012 at 18:05..
Old 10-03-2012, 18:10   #48
sbhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
If Apple comes out with a $250 iPad mini it's just going to be game over.
Doubtful Apple Mini would have a price point under $350. Anything less then that they cut into their iPod Touch line. Plus Apple knows that the have a built in core of Apple product fanboys who will buy the Mini no matter the price point.

Old 10-03-2012, 18:26   #49
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaven View Post
Doubtful Apple Mini would have a price point under $350. Anything less then that they cut into their iPod Touch line. Plus Apple knows that the have a built in core of Apple product fanboys who will buy the Mini no matter the price point.

Here lies the real problem.

Old 10-03-2012, 20:03   #50
bchandler

Funny how most Apple fans say stuff like "Android is a great product but I like Apple because...", while Android users constantly bash Apple products via insult. I read a lot of tech forums and blogs and this always happens.

OP: why not buy a product from Best Buy or similar and try it out, and if you don't like it, return it within the return period. You can try both!
bchandler is offline   Reply With Quote