Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:58   #76
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
I decided that it was time to get something that was made in America into my garage.
What is that in your avatar and what advantages did it bring to the table to cause you to bring it home?
First of all, it's a joke between me and HollowHead.

Secondly, the thing in my avatar is the Aprilia SR50 Factory - 50-cc of killer two-strokes racing scooter. The advantages did it bring to the tables are: a) it's an Aprilia, b) it's a scooter, c) it's a cool scooter that can take some mean corners, d) it's economical to run about town when I don't have to get on the freeway, e) chicks dig it. And that's why I bought it.

PS Erik Buell Racing (EBR) may just give me a reason to buy American. We shall see how his street motos are going to turn out.

Last edited by fnfalman; 10-02-2012 at 08:59..
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 15:28   #77
dabigguns357

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
The MSF course usually lends out helmets as well as motorcycles. All you have to do is come with long sleeve shirt, some sort of gloves and boots.

Before you commit to buying gears and spending money, I'd suggest for the old lady to: a) pass the course first, and b) WANTS to ride.
Oh yea she wants to ride which is real strange because we never really talked about till last summer and now again this year but with more intensity
dabigguns357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 15:56   #78
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigguns357 View Post
Oh yea she wants to ride which is real strange because we never really talked about till last summer and now again this year but with more intensity
I'd still suggest to see if she wants to ride after the MSF course. Some people change their minds because they can't master the mechanics of multi-tasking (manipulating various levers and things at the same time, paying attention to the front, the rear, the left and the right at the same time).

I've seen people who quit in the middle of the course, or after the course, said too much hassle.
Old 10-02-2012, 15:56   #79
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B in CO View Post
Get her a dirt bike and have her learn to ride on that before she ever ventures out on the street.
Excellent advice!!

Old 10-02-2012, 16:34   #80
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:

PS Erik Buell Racing (EBR) may just give me a reason to buy American. We shall see how his street motos are going to turn out.
He's going to have to do something about the price. At $45K...it's twice the price of a Panigale S. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 16:53   #81
GVFlyer

Quote:
No offense intended.

Quote:
Secondly, the thing in my avatar is the Aprilia SR50 Factory - 50-cc of killer two-strokes racing scooter. The advantages did it bring to the tables are: a) it's an Aprilia, b) it's a scooter, c) it's a cool scooter that can take some mean corners, d) it's economical to run about town when I don't have to get on the freeway, e) chicks dig it. And that's why I bought it.
I couldn't tell scale from your avatar. I was at a local motorcycle shop this weekend and saw huge motor scooters there - among them, the Honda SilverWing and the Yamaha Majesty. The salesman said that not only were they fast, but also that they were technological marvels.

They look pretty cool, but I'm not riding anything that sports a modesty panel.

The Okie Corral

Quote:
I hope Erik Buell makes it this time.

http://www.specialops.org/

Last edited by GVFlyer; 10-02-2012 at 17:15..
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 17:00   #82
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
He's going to have to do something about the price. At $45K...it's twice the price of a Panigale S. HH
Those are racing bikes though. I think that his street motos are going to be maybe in the mid to high teens.
Old 10-02-2012, 17:03   #83
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
I couldn't tell scale from your avatar. I was at a local motorcycle shop this weelend and saw huge motor scooters there - among them, the Honda SilverWing and the Yamaha Majesty. The salesman said that not only were they fast, but also that they were technological marvels.

They look pretty cool, but I'm not riding anything that sports a modesty panel.
I don't get the point of maxi scooters either. The whole point of riding a scooter is that it's small and tend to be less expensive than a regular motorcycle. These maxi scooters are just as big and heavy if not heavier than a moto, yet have crappier handling.

However, apparently there's some value in it because BMW and Aprilia had just joined the Japanese in the maxi scooter field.
Old 10-02-2012, 17:19   #84
Bflying

As others have said, course first. Then pick up something "mid-range" with easy handling characteristics, but still enough power to get out of a situation. My vote leans toward the little Honda Shadow 750.

http://powersports.honda.com/street/...adow-line.aspx

Rather Bflying
Bflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 17:29   #85
berto62

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post

Some recent story's about Eric. has 3 new street bikes coming soon.

http://cyclenews.coverleaf.com/cyclenews/20120911?#pg74

http://www.motorcyclepowersportsnews...g_expands.aspx
Old 10-02-2012, 23:08   #86
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by berto62 View Post
Yep, sounds like he has three different designs for the street: sport, naked and adventure/touring (something like that).

Hopefully they would come out OK without any glaring issues and if the prices are reasonable (mid to high teens), I'd love to snap up a naked bike. I thought about the 1125CR before Harley-Davidson ditched the whole shebang, but then I couldn't bring myself to be seen at an H-D dealership for purchasing or servicing. The thought of having to wear assless chaps and leatherette vests was simply too frightening for me to overcome.
Old 10-03-2012, 00:07   #87
GVFlyer

Quote:
Yep, sounds like he has three different designs for the street: sport, naked and adventure/touring (something like that).

Hopefully they would come out OK without any glaring issues and if the prices are reasonable (mid to high teens), I'd love to snap up a naked bike. I thought about the 1125CR before Harley-Davidson ditched the whole shebang, but then I couldn't bring myself to be seen at an H-D dealership for purchasing or servicing. The thought of having to wear assless chaps and leatherette vests was simply too frightening for me to overcome.
I resisted buying a Harley for a long time because I didn't want everybody to think I was an accountant or a lawyer.

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:21   #88
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
I resisted buying a Harley for a long time because I didn't want everybody to think I was an accountant or a lawyer.
I am a lawyer, so it doesn't bother me.

Since I was 5 or 6 I've never been interested in anything but a Harley and other stuff in the same subculture (Indian, custom choppers and bobbers, etc.), even though I have owned Hondas. By the time I was in first grade I had chopper models, magazines and trading cards, Evel Knievel toys, etc. I would be embarrassed to be seen on a sport bike - not meant as an insult, just the literal truth. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit to people that my little brother used to ride sport bikes.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:30   #89
DanaT
Pharaoh

Motorcycles are not comfortable. If I am going to tolerate the uncomfortableness of a motorcycle it better do something a car wont.

Therefore a harley makes no sense to me what-so-ever.

Of the recent crop of bikes, the only ones that make sense to me are S1000RR, ZX14, GSX13, K1300S, and a Duc 1199 Panigale.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:32   #90
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Since I was 5 or 6 I've never been interested in anything but a Harley and other stuff in the same subculture (Indian, custom choppers and bobbers, etc.), even though I have owned Hondas.
Quote:
Y The thought of having to wear assless chaps and leatherette vests was simply too frightening for me to overcome.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:34   #91
dabigguns357

Quote:
I am a lawyer, so it doesn't bother me.

Since I was 5 or 6 I've never been interested in anything but a Harley and other stuff in the same subculture (Indian, custom choppers and bobbers, etc.), even though I have owned Hondas. By the time I was in first grade I had chopper models, magazines and trading cards, Evel Knievel toys, etc. I would be embarrassed to be seen on a sport bike - not meant as an insult, just the literal truth. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit to people that my little brother used to ride sport bikes.
At this point I would be happy just ride a scooter. It's been a while since I been on anything and have that desire again. Y'all make me jealous in a good way
dabigguns357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:08   #92
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:

A racing scooter! Hahahah!
John Rambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:41   #93
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
People whose bikes are ridden for short distances in warm dry weather tend to make fun of the gear worn for many years by those who spend full days riding hundreds of miles across the country. Hit the highway for 11-12 hours on a 45 degree day and you'll quickly understand what the chaps are for. A leather superhero suit is only practical for guys who are going home to change in a few hours, so chaps give you protection that you can take off and put in a saddlebag when you get where you are going. I've left home in the rain at below 40 degrees for a 700 miles ride - a whole different thing than zipping around town on a sport bike.

Vest? Gives me pockets, holds my gun/phone/wallet/knife/magazines/etc. and gives me a good shield against the wind on a long ride. Not to mention being a good place for club patches.

Last edited by Bren; 10-03-2012 at 07:42..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:50   #94
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
It's something that you geezer glide riders don't understand:
taking tight radius corners at breakneck speed.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:52   #95
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
People whose bikes are ridden for short distances in warm dry weather tend to make fun of the gear worn for many years by those who spend full days riding hundreds of miles across the country. Hit the highway for 11-12 hours on a 45 degree day and you'll quickly understand what the chaps are for. A leather superhero suit is only practical for guys who are going home to change in a few hours, so chaps give you protection that you can take off and put in a saddlebag when you get where you are going. I've left home in the rain at below 40 degrees for a 700 miles ride - a whole different thing than zipping around town on a sport bike.

Vest? Gives me pockets, holds my gun/phone/wallet/knife/magazines/etc. and gives me a good shield against the wind on a long ride. Not to mention being a good place for club patches.
Riders who actually ride long distances (i.e. myself) have gears dedicated for that and it doesn't involve chaps and vests.

An Aerostitch suit is perfect for long or short ride, gives plenty of protection from the elements and decent protection in crashes. A full face helmet gives protection from the elements, crashes, bug strikes, gravel strikes, and a host of other nasty things that true long riders have to endure.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:53   #96
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Of the recent crop of bikes, the only ones that make sense to me are S1000RR, ZX14, GSX13, K1300S, and a Duc 1199 Panigale.
Speed is what motorcycling is all about. Unless you're a typical American rider then it's geezer glide all the way because you wanna look like SAMCRO.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:03   #97
RC-RAMIE

I find the I won't ride certain brands or types of bikes attitude confusing, I can't think of a single bike I have rode and got off of unhappy.
RC-RAMIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:06   #98
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-RAMIE View Post
I find the I won't ride certain brands or types of bikes attitude confusing, I can't think of a single bike I have rode and got off of unhappy.
go back to the beginning of the thread...try a rebel 250 and come back saying that..
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:10   #99
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Not to mention being a good place for club patches.
How could I be so silly as to forget that patches are one of the important motorcycle accessories?
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:10   #100
Sharkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
They race Yamaha TMax in Europe all the time. If you put an after market variator on it, they haul a**. I use to leave the line on my Burgman 650 a lot quicker than other motorcyclists.

The fairing is great for the weather. The under seat storage is great. You just have to get over the stigma of riding a "scooter" ........................ that can go over 100mph.