GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-02-2012, 22:26   #51
gotin

For some reason everybody likes banning things. How about offering incentives to keep the babies if that is the big deal?
If those women are offered prenatal care and then families that will adopt the child, I'm sure many will chose to do it.
And since when bans work? How many women died or got hurt during illegal abortions before they were legalized?
BTW, I'd rather pay for condoms or abortions than house the unwanted child in various juvenile and adult correction facilities. Because that's where most of these kids will end up if they are born.
gotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 22:28   #52
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotin View Post
For some reason everybody likes banning things. How about offering incentives to keep the babies if that is the big deal?
If those women are offered prenatal care and then families that will adopt the child, I'm sure many will chose to do it.
And since when bans work? How many women died or got hurt during illegal abortions before they were legalized?
BTW, I'd rather pay for condoms or abortions than house the unwanted child in various juvenile and adult correction facilities. Because that's where most of these kids will end up if they are born.
These ho's are trying to keep it tight. Life goes downhill if they fail. Occupational hazards.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 22:50   #53
Mushinto
Master Member

I do not believe abortion is moral, but it's a dead issue.

The Supreme Court created the right of a woman to have an abortion and banned states from preventing it. There is no appeal, it's over.

Pro life groups should lobby, march and provide education to try and convince woman not to have one, but as far as banning abortion it's a dead issue.

Let's move on.

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind, always.
Mushinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 23:03   #54
Foxtrotx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmo1066 View Post
As you know, when it comes to humans there are four main schools of thought on this. There is the neurological view, which it sounds like you are espousing, that says "personhood" (if not actual human life) begins with brainwave activity, then there is the embryologic view, which holds that life begins with gastrulation at about 14-17 days after conception. There is also the genetic view, which holds that human life starts at conception when a novel genome is created, and rounding the field out is the at-or-near-birth view which goes by the standard of viability outside the womb.

While you may privately hold that the neurological view is the correct one (please correct me if I am wrong on your beliefs here), there is no denying that a great many biologists, geneticists and doctors hold with the other schools of thought, especially the genetic and embryological schools. There is simply too much congressional testimony, white papers and published research from leading experts in these disciplines to deny that such is the case.

As I have said, it is a very split field, and I'm not attempting to state which school of thought is "right". Hell, the scientists themselves don't agree on it, but to argue as kalashnikev did that NO scientists believe human life starts at conception is simply wrong.
I don't know of any esteemed or credible ones personaly, but i'm sure you will find some out there. In my field we call them outliers . But seriously, yes there are some out there.

However, I don't see you jumping on the generalization that Kalishnikev was quoting.

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 23:12   #55
Foxtrotx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
So give life the benefit of the doubt? There are alternatives to abortion. Every soul deserves a chance.
Would it be crazy of me to think that souls, if they exist, don't occur until a human is old enough to think?

Whats the point of having a soul if you can't think.

Eagle Scout.
Old 10-02-2012, 23:20   #56
Foxtrotx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj9mm View Post
interesting, do you pick the amount of time using science, or is it arbitrary?
Yes. it's called an EEG. It measures brain activity.

Eagle Scout.
Old 10-02-2012, 23:34   #57
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrotx1 View Post
Would it be crazy of me to think that souls, if they exist, don't occur until a human is old enough to think?

Whats the point of having a soul if you can't think.
Just needs a little time.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Old 10-02-2012, 23:42   #58
Foxtrotx1

Quote:
Just needs a little time.
At least we are not debating on whether or not viruses are alive.

Eagle Scout.
Old 10-02-2012, 23:48   #59
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

I'm sure viruses don't think, but have a hell of an impact on those who do. Ain't life funny?

Last edited by Angry Fist; 10-02-2012 at 23:48..
Old 10-03-2012, 01:46   #60
Foxtrotx1

Quote:
I'm sure viruses don't think, but have a hell of an impact on those who do. Ain't life funny?
true. They have impacted society more than get credit for.

Interesting correlation, and further thread derail, near passing of comets and outbreaks of plague, coincidence or evidence of panspermia?

Eagle Scout.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:02   #61
DanaT
Pharaoh

No matter what the GT braintrust thinks, this a topic that by an large women side with Obama on. I think you will find that a very high (i would suspect close to 75%) of women will be more on the side of the Dems than the Repub when it comes to reproductive issues.

There are some mainstream religions who (read catholic) who believe contraception is immoral and if they could would force their beliefs on the rest of the country.

And everyone who says women should just learn to keep their legs together and this wouldnt happen, what say you about cases of rape? Should a woman, through no choice of her own, became pregnant be forced to have the baby? After all, if she had just not made the choices she did....

What do you say about abortion when the mother and baby are at risk of dying and the baby is not yet developed enough to survive (this does happen). We (as in humans) make choices all the time that other humans shouldnt live or being in society for the benefit of others. We execute these people, throw them in jail.

I have often wondered, how can someone be for execution and against abortion on moral grounds. Killing someone who isnt an direct threat to your life (for example someone on death row) is murder its just murder than is justified by society. This means that anyone who can justify executions by definition believes that murder is acceptable given the correct set of conditions. After this, it is just arguing what those conditions are. I would think if you are opposed to murder, your are opposed to murder.

All in all, this is a winning slogan for Obama to get female votes.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:35   #62
kensb2
pistol n00b

You can argue this issue until you're blue in the face, and probably well beyond that. What gets me is that Planned Parenthood received almost half a billion dollars in tax payer monies. As of now, you have the legal right to have an abortion. Why, however, should I be paying for your mistake? Pay for your own abortion! Or get the guy to pay for it.
kensb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:48   #63
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensb2 View Post
You can argue this issue until you're blue in the face, and probably well beyond that. What gets me is that Planned Parenthood received almost half a billion dollars in tax payer monies. As of now, you have the legal right to have an abortion. Why, however, should I be paying for your mistake? Pay for your own abortion! Or get the guy to pay for it.
Just looking at the money, paying for an abortion is WAY cheaper than paying for a new welfare recipient.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:06   #64
kensb2
pistol n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4570 View Post
Just looking at the money, paying for an abortion is WAY cheaper than paying for a new welfare recipient.
Personally, I'd rather pay for neither....
kensb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:12   #65
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
There is a ton of stuff I'd rather not pay for. That isn't really working out for me.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
Old 10-03-2012, 07:13   #66
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
There are lot of things I would not to pay for.....doesnt make it reality...
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:15   #67
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
...snip...

I have often wondered, how can someone be for execution and against abortion on moral grounds. Killing someone who isnt an direct threat to your life (for example someone on death row) is murder its just murder than is justified by society. This means that anyone who can justify executions by definition believes that murder is acceptable given the correct set of conditions. After this, it is just arguing what those conditions are. I would think if you are opposed to murder, your are opposed to murder.

I believe your interchanging of murder and killing is possibly the confusion. In your example of killing a death row inmate, this person committed a crime against society that has been determined punishment is by death.... a cause and effect. The killing of a baby, who has not committed any crime against society, is terminated, killed, murdered. Just remember, murder is unlawful killing, with malice aforethought, of a human being.

There are some who don't like it either way. I don't side with them. I'm a firm believer in paying your debt to society after one has inflicted their damage to society.

I'm personally against the killing of a baby for convenience.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:16   #68
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
Abortion is for the convenience of the idiots. Birth control works and when it don't you know within a month and can "abort" with black cohosh or the like.
Todd Aiken... is that YOU???

I had to google it, but "Black Cohosh" is a dietary supplement that might have some effect in treating hot flashes in menopausal women.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Bla...hProfessional/

Did you think it was Plan B??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
Someone explain the logic that allows the woman to decide to go to term and make the man pay child support but if she wants to abort he has no say???????
You need someone to explain... the logic?

Because it's her lady parts.

Next question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotin View Post
How about the government just STFU and lets people do what they want without interference. This would apply to their actions as well as their bodies. Yeah... that's a good idea!
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:17   #69
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post
I do not believe abortion is moral, but it's a dead issue.

The Supreme Court created the right of a woman to have an abortion and banned states from preventing it. There is no appeal, it's over.

Pro life groups should lobby, march and provide education to try and convince woman not to have one, but as far as banning abortion it's a dead issue.

Let's move on.
You're right. But there are some people who are never going to stop trying to make abortion illegal by whatever way possible. And those people are in the republican party.
Just like the anti-gunners are never going to stop, and they joined the democrats.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:24   #70
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron007 View Post
Just remember, murder is unlawful killing, with malice aforethought, of a human being.
By yoru definition of murder, then neither would be murder since abortion is not unlawful, it isnt murder. It is lawful killing just like a self defense shooting or execution.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:46   #71
dbcooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjk5 View Post
They do have the choice to NOT get pregnant don't they?

I am not religious, nor am I a pro-lifer, but please, let's be honest here.

The bottom line is that IN GENERAL stupid people get pregnant unintentionally, and stupid people get abortions. All in all it tends to work out OK with it reducing the amount of stupid people, but let's call a spade a spade.

Aborting an unwanted fetus/embryo/child whatever is a seriously lame way to deal with an easily preventable problem.
Birth control can and does fail, I have a set of 7yr olds that were born in spite of the fact that the Mrs. took the pill like clockwork.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:03   #72
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick

Quote:
By yoru definition of murder, then neither would be murder since abortion is not unlawful, it isnt murder. It is lawful killing just like a self defense shooting or execution.
^^^
Bingo!

In addition, that's why I phrased my comments as I am against killing a baby for convenience.

Currently, our laws allow the killing of a baby/fetus in the womb.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:18   #73
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW View Post
SIMPLE ANWSER to this issue - If you don't want to pay for Birth Conrtol KEEP YOUR LEGS TOGETHER!
Pretty simple.

Or use birth control.

Just don't ask me to pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:34   #74
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
No matter what the GT braintrust thinks, this a topic that by an large women side with Obama on. I think you will find that a very high (i would suspect close to 75%) of women will be more on the side of the Dems than the Repub when it comes to reproductive issues.

There are some mainstream religions who (read catholic) who believe contraception is immoral and if they could would force their beliefs on the rest of the country.

And everyone who says women should just learn to keep their legs together and this wouldnt happen, what say you about cases of rape? Should a woman, through no choice of her own, became pregnant be forced to have the baby? After all, if she had just not made the choices she did....

What do you say about abortion when the mother and baby are at risk of dying and the baby is not yet developed enough to survive (this does happen). We (as in humans) make choices all the time that other humans shouldnt live or being in society for the benefit of others. We execute these people, throw them in jail.

Rape is simple to handle:

Victim carries baby until term and puts baby up for adoption if she chooses. Rapist pays for 100% of the pregnant woman's care. If he doesn't have enough money, his organs are harvested and sold to make up the difference.

Problem solved.

(I despise rapists and consider them sub-human btw).

In reality though rape and incest are a very small percentage of abortions (I've heard less than 1%). I could agree with a system where abortions are sanctioned in the cases you named (especially since a rape is going to be handled very early I would think) - this includes the cases where the mother's life is at risk.

It just sickens me that people think they can have an abortion just because having a baby is "inconvenient." I also get sick of people intentionally having children out of wedlock. However, that is a moral issue and not really the government's problem to handle. In reality they both are outside of defining abortion as murder or not.

What it comes down to is, as a society, we have decided that actions should not have consequences. This is fundamentally wrong. Anything you do - from buying a car to driving to work to having sex out of wedlock can have ramifications and consequences.

A lot of this gets simpler if we could be sure when a baby is indeed "alive." If it is at 14 days, then most of the issues with rape go away since the "abortion pill" could be administered well before then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:34   #75
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:
Actually, America as a whole has been swinging to the "Pro-life" side of the issue over the past few years and a majority of Americans now identify themselves as "pro-life" - this includes a majority of WOMEN who now identify as "pro-life" as well.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/118399/Mo...irst-Time.aspx

Many Democrats CLAIM to speak for women on this issue, but in typical fashion they don't bother to check with the women first to see what they might actually think.

Last edited by tsmo1066; 10-03-2012 at 08:37..
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote