SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-02-2012, 23:09   #26
Taphius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
Doubletwist works for me to get my iTunes onto my Android phone.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Google music does it now as well, just sign in and let it upload overnight
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:25   #27
stevemc

Certified,

I have all mac computers at home.1 Imac, 4 or 5 Macbooks, Apple Tv, Airports, 3TB time capsule, Ipod touch, etc. I just could not buy the Iphone. I went to get the S3 and ended up with the HTC One. The Beats music feature was import and I can tell you it actually does sound better than Apple. The camera is very good and instantaneous. The software also does everything I need. If you haven't already tried it, check out the HTC One.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:11   #28
boomhower

I can understand why Apple went their own way with maps. iOS version of maps was dated and lacked many of the features of its Android counterpart. Google refused to modernize unless Apple put in certain features that didn't go with what Apple wanted. Google was getting tons of valuable info out of the deal but wouldn't put the features in. So Apple went their own way. They get the features they want and cut off Google. Of course thief first version out of the gate isn't as good as what Google has made with years of perfection. Give them time, they will get it.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:30   #29
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc View Post
Certified,

I have all mac computers at home.1 Imac, 4 or 5 Macbooks, Apple Tv, Airports, 3TB time capsule, Ipod touch, etc. I just could not buy the Iphone. I went to get the S3 and ended up with the HTC One. The Beats music feature was import and I can tell you it actually does sound better than Apple. The camera is very good and instantaneous. The software also does everything I need. If you haven't already tried it, check out the HTC One.

This is simply a construct of your imagination. If you really had that many Apple devices in your life you would already be able to walk on water, split atoms and not excrete waste.

Why on earth would you even CONSIDER a HTC One? The iPhone 5 runs rings around it, and EVERY and ANY future andriod phone released, or ever to be released.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:36   #30
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphius View Post
If imovie cannot import mp4, the standard for videos, I would say that is an Apple issue. Especially since it is developed off of Quicktime...

But it looks like there are work arounds with just converting it
This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about:

I found numerous references to people stuggling with this. Apps that don't work as described and so forth.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:38   #31
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
This is simply a construct of your imagination. If you really had that many Apple devices in your life you would already be able to walk on water, split atoms and not excrete waste.

Why on earth would you even CONSIDER a HTC One? The iPhone 5 runs rings around it, and EVERY and ANY future andriod phone released, or ever to be released.
G - I didn't start this thread to bicker back and forth about the platforms. It was an honest attempt to get my head around the possibility of switching, how to make some basic things work smoothly, what was involved, etc.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 10-03-2012 at 05:39..
Old 10-03-2012, 05:42   #32
HexHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
The big deal about the Maps isn't so much that the data is flawed, it's that this even happened in the first place. There was nothing wrong with Google's maps. We'll see if over time the maps get sorted out. Keep in mind Apple's maps use Yelp! so it's quite possible they will never live up to what they would have had with Google.
Google refused to give "turn by turn" directions to the iPhone, wanting it just for the Android phones. That's the big reason they switched. And count on Aople getting the map glitches fixed.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:50   #33
HexHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
G - I didn't start this thread to bicker back and forth about the platforms. It was an honest attempt to get my head around the possibility of switching, how to make some basic things work smoothly, what was involved, etc.
Have you forgotten where you are?
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:15   #34
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexHead View Post
Have you forgotten where you are?
I'm not criticizing Gallium, just explaining.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:33   #35
CAcop

I just remembered my parents are a PC/Apple, Android/Apple household. They mix and match all the time. IIRC my dad just uses his Android phone as an external hard drive for his Mac. I think people online might be geeking it out a bit and making it harder than it needs to be. My dad is hardly tech savy and he can figure it out on his own. Seriously, his last non smart phone he would butt dial me constantly and could never figure out how to lock the keypad. Yet somehow he manages to get photos and video to his Mac.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:18   #36
Thumpernator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
he would butt dial me constantly
Thumpernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:22   #37
hamster
NRA Life Member

I've always been on the iPhone platform except for April - October of this year. I was using an Android (Galaxy Nexus).

People make the image thing way harder than it needs to be.

Just install dropbox and let it auto-upload all photos/videos.

Take a picture and it is on all of your devices/computer instantly. Bam... problem solved.
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:26   #38
gajones06

Quote:
.......and came home empty handed.

I have 2 more weeks until my iP5 arrives and I'm getting impatient. So I figured I'd try out the S3 for a couple weeks and if I like it I would cancel the iphone order. The whole map fiasco had me worried too.

A bit confusing. Nothing seemed simple. Are there hidden buttons on the bottom corners? Accidental swipes or gestures? Something kept taking me to a different screen and it was problematic getting back where I was.

Too big to operate comfortably with one hand......kept having to adjust it in my hand.....slightly but still. For my needs the width of iphone is right. It seemed to beg for 2 handed operation. Even the sales chick was demoing it with 2 hands.

Google searches seem to suggest that importing video to a mac is challenging. Can anyone confirm?

All my contacts and calendars are in icloud. So, I have to find how to get them into google's servers.

Then I walked over to the iP5. Felt familiar in my hand. As fast as the S3. Simple to navigate. Beautiful display. Light. Its what I have now in iP4 but better.

Right now I just plug in, or not, and everything is updated and where it should be. Photos and video move right in. If I have a problem I call Apple. It appeared from Google searches that if I have a problem with the S3 and my mac I might need to involve apple, google and Samsung. I can imagine there would be finger pointing and I saw some suggestions out there that no one of these companies seemed particularly interested in addressing some of the compatibility problems.

Seems like a fair amount of work around to make it work seamlessly with a mac.

This is not to knock on the S3. We've had enough of those threads. I was wondering if my impressions were shared by others and thought that some might be interested in why iphone users are happily buying up a phone that many say lacks innovation. In short, it does what I want but does it better and I like my ecosystem.
Stick with Apple...I switched to an HTC One x and love it but it is a pain in the a** to sync with my Mac. Unless you wanted to spend a lot of time doing g it don't switch. I don't mind but I also jail broke all my iphones.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
gajones06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:34   #39
droidfire

Quote:
Are there hidden buttons on the bottom corners?
Yes. Menu and Back are software buttons (capacitive touch) and you can go so far as to set the backlight off for them if you don't need/want it.

Quote:
Accidental swipes or gestures?
Yes - palm swipe for screenshot and so on. You can turn them all off in settings if you want.

Quote:
Google searches seem to suggest that importing video to a mac is challenging. Can anyone confirm?
Don't have any macs, but worst case scenario would be to plop the video on a microsd card within the phone and then use a usb card reader to get it into the mac.

Barring that you could get a USB OTG cable (lets you plug in flash drives or other usb stuff directly to the phone)

Maybe you could use the MHL cable if your mac has an hdmi port and play it from the phone onto the mac and capture that way (okay - that one probably qualifies for worst case scenario lol)

There are always other avenues like dropbox or wifi file transfers that should be operating system neutral.

I would venture to guess that for the tech savvy it should be more of an inconvenience, whereas those with less technical knowledge may find it more of an impossibility - but just speculation. I haven't owned an apple computer in almost two years, maybe they have increased the machine wanting to be compatible with non-apple products since then.

Quote:
and I saw some suggestions out there that no one of these companies seemed particularly interested in addressing some of the compatibility problems.
That would be a fair assessment. It's really not in anyone's best interest to blend the apple/android world - two completely different approaches.

The ball would be in apple's court for that anyways, should they choose to release some of the tight rein they hold over the apple operating systems and compatibility with non-apple products, there would be a flood of community support on both sides to grease the wheels.

I see people move heaven and earth to go about rooting or devving for their android on a mac pretty often. These people would just give countless hours of time to making it work without looking for a buck.

I don't particularly think apple and android should blend, and feel their distinctions are important though i've chosen my side. The idea that I can't associate with users of apple products would be funny if so many fanatics on both sides didn't believe it as immutable law.

Quote:
Too big to operate comfortably with one hand......kept having to adjust it in my hand.....slightly but still. For my needs the width of iphone is right. It seemed to beg for 2 handed operation. Even the sales chick was demoing it with 2 hands.

I was wondering if my impressions were shared by others
Yes again. I almost took it back after an hour out on my own with it, because it was just too big.

But I use my cell service for maps with google and drive - a lot - for work. My last smartphone had a tiny screen, so I was open to the larger one for easier viewing in the vehicle.

Turns out that after almost two weeks of having it I was able to comfortably use it with one hand, just navigating with my thumb the lazy way, without having to shift my grip to reach everything.

You also get used to the capacitive buttons on the bottom and stop hitting them with your palm after about the same while.

At this point, well, I can use it at least as quickly and intuitively as my last smartphone, so it really just comes down to a matter of practice. I do have particularly small hands so thought this might be a bigger problem then it turned out to be.

I figured to give it an honest shot would be to hold for at least 12 of the 14 days on the return period, and by then when I re-assessed I realized how not a problem it had become.

I do like the stock battery life, was pretty impressed - surprised even - I could get away with using it without having to accessorize. I ended up getting a monster sized battery for it anyways, and now it's just insane. I don't even think about a charger when I walk out the door, maps with gps, bluetooth on my stereo headset for music, calls, everything basically.

Even though I wanted the larger screen for driving navigation, I was apprehensive about being stuck with it for everything else beyond that purpose.

Come to realize that it's just better. Web browsing is easier, movies look better, whole nine.

I also love the picture-in-picture feature of the stock video player, where I can click it and then surf the web or something with a little video window overlay that I can move around as needed. Any smaller of a screen and such a feature would be clunky, but on this it works well. Constantly watching movies while doing other stuff on it, I don't have to make the choice of watching a movie at the expense of something else.

...and with the 32 gig internal + a 64 gig microsd card, i've got a lot to choose from. I have a handful of memory cards packed with media, and the way the S3 reads microsd cards is as an extsdcard, and allocates internal memory to be read as the 'sdcard' android is looking for. This means you can swap out cards without messing up your installed apps (or jumping through hoops not to) and can really use the memory card slot as expandable media without hassle.

Honestly, if apple would put a dang microsd slot on their iphone I would buy one or two to use. I definitely take care of my small electronics, and definitely have a few high end smartphones to play with now, so adding an iphone even off contract wouldn't be a problem. I'd just share my internet from whatever device was active at the time with it like I do the others now.

Quote:
.......and came home empty handed.

All my contacts and calendars are in icloud. So, I have to find how to get them into google's servers.

Then I walked over to the iP5. Felt familiar in my hand. As fast as the S3. Simple to navigate. Beautiful display. Light. Its what I have now in iP4 but better.

and thought that some might be interested in why iphone users are happily buying up a phone that many say lacks innovation. In short, it does what I want but does it better and I like my ecosystem.
The phone you should have in your hand is the one you want. Don't just get an android because it's an android, nor an iphone because it's an iphone. Get what fits your needs.

If you're vested in apple stuff, have a mac, and currently use an iphone...and don't really have any complaints? Get another iphone if that's what you want.

Honestly, if you're all apple tech then you probably don't know what you're missing anyways.

(same can be said for linux users with androids and vested market purchases - that shoe fits both feet)

I don't think you gave it enough of a chance to see, but that's not up to me to decide, really it's your call.

If you really want to see how it is, play with it throughout the majority of your return period to see if you want to make the switch.

I'm having a grand old time with nfc - bought a bunch of tags and have been setting up all kinds of nifty stuff to happen with them. I couldn't imagine not being able to use nfc to manage my device at this point.

When the iphone gets nfc, you apple people are going to go nuts. The plethora of android devices is setting the stage for an 'arms race' for tag size - as in the amount of data you can write to it - and on the software side we are learning how to work with the variances in encoding and size.

You can make triggers that will have your device immediately ready and/or doing what you want it to do within seconds, instead of you telling it what you want it to do next.

By the time the tech hits the apple crowd, we'll have predetermined the most popular and useful things you can program that tags to do, so you'll have quite the menu of convenience to choose from by that time.

Anyways, it doesn't have to be about apple OR android - you may find your needs suited with an ipod touch tethered to your android smartphone - it's just a matter of what you want.

I spent the time extolling some of the virtues of the S3, as I have one, and you asked for opinions. Hope this helps you to see what you wanted from this thread.
droidfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:20   #40
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidfire View Post
Yes. Menu and Back are software buttons (capacitive touch) and you can go so far as to set the backlight off for them if you don't need/want it.

Yes - palm swipe for screenshot and so on. You can turn them all off in settings if you want.

Don't have any macs, but worst case scenario would be to plop the video on a microsd card within the phone and then use a usb card reader to get it into the mac.

Barring that you could get a USB OTG cable (lets you plug in flash drives or other usb stuff directly to the phone)

Maybe you could use the MHL cable if your mac has an hdmi port and play it from the phone onto the mac and capture that way (okay - that one probably qualifies for worst case scenario lol)

There are always other avenues like dropbox or wifi file transfers that should be operating system neutral.

I would venture to guess that for the tech savvy it should be more of an inconvenience, whereas those with less technical knowledge may find it more of an impossibility - but just speculation. I haven't owned an apple computer in almost two years, maybe they have increased the machine wanting to be compatible with non-apple products since then.

That would be a fair assessment. It's really not in anyone's best interest to blend the apple/android world - two completely different approaches.

The ball would be in apple's court for that anyways, should they choose to release some of the tight rein they hold over the apple operating systems and compatibility with non-apple products, there would be a flood of community support on both sides to grease the wheels.

I see people move heaven and earth to go about rooting or devving for their android on a mac pretty often. These people would just give countless hours of time to making it work without looking for a buck.

I don't particularly think apple and android should blend, and feel their distinctions are important though i've chosen my side. The idea that I can't associate with users of apple products would be funny if so many fanatics on both sides didn't believe it as immutable law.

Yes again. I almost took it back after an hour out on my own with it, because it was just too big.

But I use my cell service for maps with google and drive - a lot - for work. My last smartphone had a tiny screen, so I was open to the larger one for easier viewing in the vehicle.

Turns out that after almost two weeks of having it I was able to comfortably use it with one hand, just navigating with my thumb the lazy way, without having to shift my grip to reach everything.

You also get used to the capacitive buttons on the bottom and stop hitting them with your palm after about the same while.

At this point, well, I can use it at least as quickly and intuitively as my last smartphone, so it really just comes down to a matter of practice. I do have particularly small hands so thought this might be a bigger problem then it turned out to be.

I figured to give it an honest shot would be to hold for at least 12 of the 14 days on the return period, and by then when I re-assessed I realized how not a problem it had become.

I do like the stock battery life, was pretty impressed - surprised even - I could get away with using it without having to accessorize. I ended up getting a monster sized battery for it anyways, and now it's just insane. I don't even think about a charger when I walk out the door, maps with gps, bluetooth on my stereo headset for music, calls, everything basically.

Even though I wanted the larger screen for driving navigation, I was apprehensive about being stuck with it for everything else beyond that purpose.

Come to realize that it's just better. Web browsing is easier, movies look better, whole nine.

I also love the picture-in-picture feature of the stock video player, where I can click it and then surf the web or something with a little video window overlay that I can move around as needed. Any smaller of a screen and such a feature would be clunky, but on this it works well. Constantly watching movies while doing other stuff on it, I don't have to make the choice of watching a movie at the expense of something else.

...and with the 32 gig internal + a 64 gig microsd card, i've got a lot to choose from. I have a handful of memory cards packed with media, and the way the S3 reads microsd cards is as an extsdcard, and allocates internal memory to be read as the 'sdcard' android is looking for. This means you can swap out cards without messing up your installed apps (or jumping through hoops not to) and can really use the memory card slot as expandable media without hassle.

Honestly, if apple would put a dang microsd slot on their iphone I would buy one or two to use. I definitely take care of my small electronics, and definitely have a few high end smartphones to play with now, so adding an iphone even off contract wouldn't be a problem. I'd just share my internet from whatever device was active at the time with it like I do the others now.

The phone you should have in your hand is the one you want. Don't just get an android because it's an android, nor an iphone because it's an iphone. Get what fits your needs.

If you're vested in apple stuff, have a mac, and currently use an iphone...and don't really have any complaints? Get another iphone if that's what you want.

Honestly, if you're all apple tech then you probably don't know what you're missing anyways.

(same can be said for linux users with androids and vested market purchases - that shoe fits both feet)

I don't think you gave it enough of a chance to see, but that's not up to me to decide, really it's your call.

If you really want to see how it is, play with it throughout the majority of your return period to see if you want to make the switch.

I'm having a grand old time with nfc - bought a bunch of tags and have been setting up all kinds of nifty stuff to happen with them. I couldn't imagine not being able to use nfc to manage my device at this point.

When the iphone gets nfc, you apple people are going to go nuts. The plethora of android devices is setting the stage for an 'arms race' for tag size - as in the amount of data you can write to it - and on the software side we are learning how to work with the variances in encoding and size.

You can make triggers that will have your device immediately ready and/or doing what you want it to do within seconds, instead of you telling it what you want it to do next.

By the time the tech hits the apple crowd, we'll have predetermined the most popular and useful things you can program that tags to do, so you'll have quite the menu of convenience to choose from by that time.

Anyways, it doesn't have to be about apple OR android - you may find your needs suited with an ipod touch tethered to your android smartphone - it's just a matter of what you want.

I spent the time extolling some of the virtues of the S3, as I have one, and you asked for opinions. Hope this helps you to see what you wanted from this thread.
Good stuff. Thanks.

I think I'm in the right place staying ip5, FOR ME. I'm one of those people who only wants to do a limited number of things on a phone. I want them easy and agreeable.

It isn't an easy call. The S3 is very nice. I'm sure given enough time I could get it working like I want and would probably agree that its a better platform overall. I'm just not in the mood to go re-inventing my world right now and my phone is a device that is so central to my day to day life that it would be a disruption. Perhaps in the near future I'll be looking to dig in and perhaps there will be more turnkey options at that time.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:49   #41
Taphius

Yeah no reason to up and change if the iPhone does what you need. Until you are unhappy with it or want extra features just stick with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:10   #42
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphius View Post
Yeah no reason to up and change if the iPhone does what you need. Until you are unhappy with it or want extra features just stick with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Glad I looked though. Maybe at some point in the future.

I do have new gadget fever tho and am headed to pick up a 7" Galaxy tab.
Old 10-22-2012, 17:41   #43
stk10767

After hemming and hawing over his decision, I went with the Galaxy SIII. These are the reasons: Google Maps (I use it EVERY day), Removable storage, ability to make a call and use the internet at the same time, Replaceable battery, not having to spend more money on all new chargers, and no Itunes, I hate Itunes.
stk10767 is offline   Reply With Quote