Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:20   #21
JasonC8301

I top off my carry pistol and never had an issue. Some people in my department actually get written up for not having the correct amount of ammo (3 mags of 15 + 1 for a total of 46 rounds of 9mm or 18 rounds of .38 special, 6 in gun and 2 speedloaders.)
JasonC8301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:44   #22
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I don't top off (due to laziness more than anything), but I've seen a common problem with topping off is that the shooter doesn't take the time to make sure that the mag is truly seated back in. Gotta slap the bottom of the mag to make sure that it clicks back in place.

There are some wives' tales running around about how if you top off, it'd screw up the next round because the new round is fully seated to the back and not moved forward a hair as would the typical next round if you don't top off.

If your gun can't chamber another round; topped off round or regular round, then your gun sucks and you need to fix it.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:49   #23
B.Reid

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I don't top off (due to laziness more than anything), but I've seen a common problem with topping off is that the shooter doesn't take the time to make sure that the mag is truly seated back in. Gotta slap the bottom of the mag to make sure that it clicks back in place.

There are some wives' tales running around about how if you top off, it'd screw up the next round because the new round is fully seated to the back and not moved forward a hair as would the typical next round if you don't top off.

If your gun can't chamber another round; topped off round or regular round, then your gun sucks and you need to fix it.
Really? 40 years of shooting and I never had an issue with topping off. There are a lot of things to worry about, this is not one of them.

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:52   #24
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
Really? 40 years of shooting and I never had an issue with topping off. There are a lot of things to worry about, this is not one of them.
Did I say that I was worried?

I simply stated what I've seen with various shooters when it comes to topping off, which is failure to click the mag back in place.
Old 10-01-2012, 20:30   #25
AZson

Only during competition do I not top off my 20rd mags, makes them easier to slam into place.
Old 10-01-2012, 21:25   #26
sna0403

The magazine says 8, there's room in the chamber for one more and IMHO, 9 holes are better than 8
sna0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:38   #27
brisk21

I would say yes. I probably wouldn't top off a 15 shot Glock 22, but a single stack gun I would.
brisk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:48   #28
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat View Post
that is why manufacturers advertise them as "8+1" capacity..
ding! ding! ding! We have a winner!
Old 10-02-2012, 13:54   #29
mjkeat

After reading the OP I instantly asked myself, "why not?" Why would you not go capacity + 1 specially when faced with low capacity in the first place? Honestly I find myself getting lazy from time to time and not pulling the mag to load that extra round but it's a bad habit to get into.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:31   #30
Gary1911A1

I don't as I'm concerned about compromising reliability. Maybe with the new Wilson ETM Magazines that have a longer magazine body, but otherwise I feel comfortable with 7 plus one in the chamber with at least one reload on the belt.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:07   #31
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
I don't as I'm concerned about compromising reliability. Maybe with the new Wilson ETM Magazines that have a longer magazine body, but otherwise I feel comfortable with 7 plus one in the chamber with at least one reload on the belt.
Explain what would cause a compromise in reliability.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-03-2012, 11:13   #32
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Explain what would cause a compromise in reliability.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Supposedly the lores or wives' tales from back the days is that when you chamber the first round, the second round also moves forward a hair and positions itself for better feeding after the first shot fired.

Of course this "logic" (you gotta love gunzine writers for some of the craps they pass on as logic or scientific fact, but hey they gotta make a living) didn't take into account that the first round on top of the mag isn't positioned forward anyway.

You, I and a host of others who have been formally trained with weapons know that you seat the rounds so that the bases of the cartridges are against the spine of the magazine so that the bullet noses don't contact the front of the magazine and cause feeding issues.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:51   #33
mjkeat

Even so if you really think the round being slightly forward gives you an advantage you can always manually push that top round forward before reinserting the mag. Either way there's no reason to be down a round.

I have yet to find a gun magazine worth much. The one I had faith in (Recoil) turned out to be a disapointment.

Last edited by mjkeat; 10-03-2012 at 11:51..
Old 10-03-2012, 12:19   #34
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

I top off carry guns. I've already chosen to have 9 without a reload rather than 18 or 20no need to go 1 fewer.

1911s that are loaded in the safe I don't top off because of the gut feeling that it is better for the mag spring when the gun may sit that way for extended periods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:27   #35
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Even so if you really think the round being slightly forward gives you an advantage you can always manually push that top round forward before reinserting the mag.
Yeah, they can do that if they feel so strongly about the second round being positioned forward.

Quote:
Either way there's no reason to be down a round.
No scientific reason to not top off. I don't top off because I don't believe that one round would make or break me, but not because topping off is going to cause a "jam". Personal preference is one thing, wives' tales is another.
Old 10-03-2012, 13:59   #36
mjkeat

Quote:
Yeah, they can do that if they feel so strongly about the second round being positioned forward.

No scientific reason to not top off. I don't top off because I don't believe that one round would make or break me, but not because topping off is going to cause a "jam". Personal preference is one thing, wives' tales is another.
Makes sense.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:07   #37
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Quote:
You, I and a host of others who have been formally trained with weapons know that you seat the rounds so that the bases of the cartridges are against the spine of the magazine so that the bullet noses don't contact the front of the magazine and cause feeding issues.
Yep that's why you bang the mag on your head like you are packing a box of Marlboros. Helps if you have a helmet.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:10   #38
silversport

or you could just bang it against your palm...

Bill
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 16:27   #39
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversport View Post

Bill
Hey that might help me to save on aspirin.

Old 10-06-2012, 22:39   #40
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversport View Post

Bill
Or bang it on a private's head. That's what they're there for.