Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-01-2012, 21:25   #1
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

So I went to buy a Galaxy S3 today

.......and came home empty handed.

I have 2 more weeks until my iP5 arrives and I'm getting impatient. So I figured I'd try out the S3 for a couple weeks and if I like it I would cancel the iphone order. The whole map fiasco had me worried too.

A bit confusing. Nothing seemed simple. Are there hidden buttons on the bottom corners? Accidental swipes or gestures? Something kept taking me to a different screen and it was problematic getting back where I was.

Too big to operate comfortably with one hand......kept having to adjust it in my hand.....slightly but still. For my needs the width of iphone is right. It seemed to beg for 2 handed operation. Even the sales chick was demoing it with 2 hands.

Google searches seem to suggest that importing video to a mac is challenging. Can anyone confirm?

All my contacts and calendars are in icloud. So, I have to find how to get them into google's servers.

Then I walked over to the iP5. Felt familiar in my hand. As fast as the S3. Simple to navigate. Beautiful display. Light. Its what I have now in iP4 but better.

Right now I just plug in, or not, and everything is updated and where it should be. Photos and video move right in. If I have a problem I call Apple. It appeared from Google searches that if I have a problem with the S3 and my mac I might need to involve apple, google and Samsung. I can imagine there would be finger pointing and I saw some suggestions out there that no one of these companies seemed particularly interested in addressing some of the compatibility problems.

Seems like a fair amount of work around to make it work seamlessly with a mac.

This is not to knock on the S3. We've had enough of those threads. I was wondering if my impressions were shared by others and thought that some might be interested in why iphone users are happily buying up a phone that many say lacks innovation. In short, it does what I want but does it better and I like my ecosystem.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 10-01-2012 at 21:26..
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 21:37   #2
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

I feel the same way when I contemplated moving from andriod to Mac. I have too much invested in time and equipment.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 21:39   #3
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
I feel the same way when I contemplated moving from andriod to Mac. I have too much invested in time and equipment.
That's kinda what it boiled down to. That's what I'm trying to say anyway.

I was surprised that I didn't find easy-peasy ways to make it all seamless.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 10-01-2012 at 21:40..
Old 10-01-2012, 21:52   #4
BB8B88

I don't think Apple or Google intend for there to be an easy transition between the platforms. They want you to pick their camp and stay there. "Blood in, Blood out" seems to be the motto.

Android is a more open OS but buggy; iOS is locked down but more stable.
BB8B88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 21:56   #5
Rutha73

There is a back button to the right of the Home button and a Menu button to the left. I don't know what you would have been hitting to go to a different screen. I have had my S3 for about a month and I am enjoying it. I upgraded from a Droid Eris (if any one remembers those). That being said I really like my iPod Touch and iPad. I don't know why people get into such heated debates over android and iPhone. it's personal preference about an electronic device. If you like the iP5, grab it and run. The guy at the phone store made a good point about getting an android, already having an iPad I can get stuff that only the App Store or android market have exclusively. Maybe you can root your iPhone and put Android OS on it. enjoy your iP5!
Old 10-01-2012, 22:04   #6
The Maggy

I finally got around to getting a smart phone last week. Before friday, I had managed to never commit to android or apple. I was about as confused learning my way around the galaxy S3 as I was the iphone 5; I went with the S3 because I can swap out the storage space, it felt natural in my hands, it was in stock, and the design is similar to my old samsung phone (pre-android touch screen.)

I was a little bummed that android does not support Itunes, since I have a large library that I have been building for years and I like my music; but it took me about five minutes in front of my computer to figure out how to remedy that problem.

If you are invested in a specific eco-system, I really don't see the point of jumping ship... unless the Iphone5 has some major design flaw that has yet to expose itself...

Last edited by The Maggy; 10-01-2012 at 22:06..
The Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 22:13   #7
RageEffect

I'm enjoying my iPhone 5 also. Very snappy and very nice design. And yes, it's great having all of my photos on iCloud so that I didn't lose any of my "memories"
RageEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 22:38   #8
devildog2067

I have all of my contacts in Google contacts specifically because both Android phones and iOS phones will sync with them, and I juggled both OSes for a while.

The way they've done away with the familiar 4-button interface on the S3 annoys me. That was one of the greatest things about Android.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 22:57   #9
hamster
NRA Life Member

Once you are locked into an ecosystem it is hard to get out. I've been an iPhone guy since the first one. Then when I broke my 4 back in April, I decided to give the Galaxy Nexus a try. Since all my calendars/email/contacts were already in Google it wasn't too bad. However, when iPhone5 came out I decided to order one after all.

While the maps on IP5 aren't as nice as google maps, the "fiasco" is way overblown IMO.

I've been using various GPS apps for years, so I instantly recognized where the flawed set of maps I was looking at came from. TomTom! I've submitted the same "correction" to TomTom for two mapping errors in my neighborhood half a dozen times, now the same damned maps appear on my new phone! Argh!

That being said, they aren't that bad. At least in CLE, the navigation has been spot on. One tip I can give for anyone is to use the street address rather than the POI name if you want better results, or at least endpoints closer to the actual destination.
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 23:10   #10
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB8B88 View Post
I don't think Apple or Google intend for there to be an easy transition between the platforms. They want you to pick their camp and stay there. "Blood in, Blood out" seems to be the motto.
I recall something about Jobs having a giant one up his butt for Google/Android. HE was known to utter words like "kill", "destroy", "hate", etc in reference to the Android thing, believed they stole/copied stuff. Really, REALLY despised them and apparently had good reasoning for it. With his level of intelligence and leadership in the field I suspect there's something to it. He actually had some respect for Gates and MS, but the Android thing, not so much.
Old 10-01-2012, 23:20   #11
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

I guess what CF is really going for here, is there a system, set of apps that makes automating the S3 really easy for his conversion, should he go with that? He lives life on the road at times for business and is graphic intensive for pics and vids and needs to stay organized. Running thru airports and all that entails, tickets, finding restaurants, meeting locations, things associated with travel. I'm sensing the addressbook/contacts issue needs to be well managed and intuitive, these are the things that can go off the rails and make life hell if they don't work well. How does he approach this?

Are there any "killer apps" that make it all come together?

How about Evernote sync? "Cloud" features?

I'm 27 months into my phone and could either switch to one or the other or keep my blackberry, I'm not in a rush but following with interest cause I see use for all 3 platforms, all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited by G29Reload; 10-01-2012 at 23:21..
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 23:24   #12
harlenm

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
I have all of my contacts in Google contacts specifically because both Android phones and iOS phones will sync with them, and I juggled both OSes for a while.

The way they've done away with the familiar 4-button interface on the S3 annoys me. That was one of the greatest things about Android.
Only on American Android. European phones have been 3 buttons for a while. Having a dedicated search button is a waste anyway, how often do you use it? Long press on menu for search works fine for me.
harlenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 23:27   #13
harlenm

International galaxy s 2

The Okie Corral

US galaxy s 2

The Okie Corral

Last edited by harlenm; 10-01-2012 at 23:28..
harlenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 00:47   #14
RHVEtte

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post

I didn't really use the Search button all that much, but now that I have an iPhone, the one complaint I can muster is that there's no "Back" option hardwired. Some apps have it, some don't, but the only button is the Home button. Of course, since that's kind of been Apple's thing, I fully expect to get no sympathy since it's kind of obvious just looking at the phone. I just never realized how much I used the back button until it wasn't there.
Liberty is a candle in a tempest. It is a rare and beautiful thing that must be jealously guarded, lest it be snuffed out. And like the candle, Liberty under tyranny is difficult to reignite. -- undoubtedly said by someone smarter than I.
RHVEtte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 00:48   #15
RHVEtte

Quote:

Having done open and buggy, I have to say, I'm really enjoying my new "locked and stable" iP5.
Liberty is a candle in a tempest. It is a rare and beautiful thing that must be jealously guarded, lest it be snuffed out. And like the candle, Liberty under tyranny is difficult to reignite. -- undoubtedly said by someone smarter than I.
RHVEtte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:00   #16
cowboy1964

The big deal about the Maps isn't so much that the data is flawed, it's that this even happened in the first place. There was nothing wrong with Google's maps. We'll see if over time the maps get sorted out. Keep in mind Apple's maps use Yelp! so it's quite possible they will never live up to what they would have had with Google.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 10-02-2012 at 12:01..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:08   #17
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
The big deal about the Maps isn't so much that the data is flawed, it's that this even happened in the first place. There was nothing wrong with Google's maps. We'll see if over time the maps get sorted out. Keep in mind Apple's maps use Yelp! so it's quite possible they will never live up to what they would have had with Google.
I can see their reasoning for it but I'd guess they underestimated the task.

Personally I don't need super maps, just accurate maps.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:16   #18
hamster
NRA Life Member

Maps: Assuming Apple will allow Google's upcoming app onto the appstore the whole thing is a non-issue anyway. I hope google brings turn by turn to iOS.

Contacts: I've always kept my contacts, calendars, email in Gmail. I then just set up my gmail as an exchange account and everything automagically syncs via push.

When I'm on a PC, I can use my trusty google interface, on the phone everything works seamlessly in iOS. Any changes made by me or the people I share my calendars with get pushed instantly to my phone. Of course the same is true on Android.

Last edited by hamster; 10-02-2012 at 12:16..
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:32   #19
JW1178

I am sitting typing this on my HP laptop on Google Chrome with my iPhone 4 in my pocket. So, I'm not really biased.

What I like about the mac product is that it just works. Being more simple means it doesn't have the features, but being simple as it doesn't have as many problems.

The issue I have now is it seems that now that Steve Jobs is out of the picture Mac is going the ways many companies go once their founder is gone. They start caring more about the profit than they are the product. A good product brings the profit, but the bean counters don't see it that way.

Another example is Facebook. When Zuckaburg ran and owned Facebook, it was great. When he "sold" it (put it on the stock market and then pulled his shares) it has since then turned to crap. Every couple post, there is a sponsor posting. The people running it now are all about making the most money, and if they have to throw a good product into the garbage, they will. The fact is that these people who buy buisnesses were so great, then why can't they come up with their own company and make it big? There is a reason for that.

Kind of like the US government, when it was run by it's founders it was great, and since then has gone down hill. The people in it today couldn't build a republic that people would die to live in.
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 19:22   #20
Taphius

There is no real way to explain it in words, you just have to use it for a week or two and see if you find it more fitting.

Watch a couple youtube vids on features, have fun with USB OTG, connecting any bluetooth device you want, dragging and dropping files from pc to phone etc.

It really is not that hard, my wife is going to be moving to my GS3 next month when the Note 2 comes out here, we already moved all her music to google music and her contacts are in gmail/facebook so they transfer easy.

Any documents and photos can be copied to computer then dragged and dropped into their respective folders on your internal memory or micro-sd
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 21:15   #21
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphius View Post
There is no real way to explain it in words, you just have to use it for a week or two and see if you find it more fitting.

Watch a couple youtube vids on features, have fun with USB OTG, connecting any bluetooth device you want, dragging and dropping files from pc to phone etc.

It really is not that hard, my wife is going to be moving to my GS3 next month when the Note 2 comes out here, we already moved all her music to google music and her contacts are in gmail/facebook so they transfer easy.

Any documents and photos can be copied to computer then dragged and dropped into their respective folders on your internal memory or micro-sd
So you take video with the phone.....how do you import it into iMovie? 2 pages of Google searches and every app or workaround seemed problematic.
Old 10-02-2012, 22:10   #22
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageEffect View Post
I'm enjoying my iPhone 5 also. Very snappy and very nice design. And yes, it's great having all of my photos on iCloud so that I didn't lose any of my "memories"
iCloud only keeps 30 days of photos. It's meant for sharing/access not for backing up.
Old 10-02-2012, 22:22   #23
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
So you take video with the phone.....how do you import it into iMovie? 2 pages of Google searches and every app or workaround seemed problematic.
My guess is click file->import->movies then click on the movie.
Old 10-02-2012, 22:47   #24
Taphius

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
If imovie cannot import mp4, the standard for videos, I would say that is an Apple issue. Especially since it is developed off of Quicktime...

But it looks like there are work arounds with just converting it
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 23:08   #25
CAcop

Quote:

Doubletwist works for me to get my iTunes onto my Android phone.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote