Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-01-2012, 19:24   #61
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ's Guns View Post
I remember doing an examination of a neurologist, a number of years ago, concerning the vocational rehabilitation of an individual who lost his dominate side upper extremity. The substance of his testimony was that, in regards to fine motor skills, the non-dominate hand could NOT BE TRAINED to function, to the same degree as the dominate hand. If memory serves me correctly, the reason was due to something about how the brain/nervous system functions, which results in making one side, dominate over the other.

Perhaps you, or some other neurologist (I presume from your assertions, that you must be a neurologist or some equally qualified medical expert) could opine and clarify this subject.

RJ
And how hard would it be to find a neurologist to support Bren's point for a few thousand dollars?

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 20:19   #62
RJ's Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
And how hard would it be to find a neurologist to support Bren's point for a few thousand dollars?

Sycophants unite, nice try but no cigar. It was the defense (insurance company) expert, testifying on cross-examination. My client was the plaintiff (the injured party).

RJ

Last edited by RJ's Guns; 10-01-2012 at 20:20..
RJ's Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:58   #63
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
I remember doing an examination of a neurologist, a number of years ago, concerning the vocational rehabilitation of an individual who lost his dominate side upper extremity. The substance of his testimony was that, in regards to fine motor skills, the non-dominate hand could NOT BE TRAINED to function, to the same degree as the dominate hand. If memory serves me correctly, the reason was due to something about how the brain/nervous system functions, which results in making one side, dominate over the other.

Perhaps you, or some other neurologist (I presume from your assertions, that you must be a neurologist or some equally qualified medical expert) could opine and clarify this subject.

RJ
I have spent the last 29 years being trained to shoot, shooting, competing and training others. I also know exactly what expert evidence in a legal case is worth in real world terms - not much.

Honsetly, have you never had any training at all? Shooting with either hand is a basic skill and shooting well with either hand is not that difficult.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:39   #64
ca survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak103k View Post
Have you checked his eye dominance? Sounds like he may be a righty with a dominant left eye.

My youngest son was that way. I put tape on the left lens of his shooting glasses, and made him shoot right handed using his right eye. Seemed to have solved the problem. 27 years later and hes still doing OK.
this ^^^^^ the RIGHT way or no shooting
ca survivor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 19:12   #65
RJ's Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I have spent the last 29 years being trained to shoot, shooting, competing and training others. I also know exactly what expert evidence in a legal case is worth in real world terms - not much.

Honsetly, have you never had any training at all? Shooting with either hand is a basic skill and shooting well with either hand is not that difficult.

I hazard to guess that you are not a litigator and that you have had little, if any, “real world” experience with forensic experts or experts in a litigation enviroment. Your statement is very foolish and asinine. Those are the statements that are typically made by shallow minded individuals exhibiting superficial analysis, but that probably does not apply to you, as you are no doubt a Glock Talk Obi-Wan Kenobi with your group of sycophantic, fawners, and flatterers.

I am unimpressed with what you would have us believe is your relevant experience. I was an active competition shooter from 1976 until 1996 and then I quit competing and now I just shoot for fun. I think that you probably do not have as much disposable income as I do and therefore I doubt that you have attended as many shooting classes, courses, seminars, events and have not fired anywhere near as much ammunition or had the free time to practice shooting as I. Up until a few years ago, I had a Camdex reloader, case sorter and case trimmer as well as the Dillon RL1000 ( their discontinued commercial reloader) so that I could shoot as much ammunition as I wanted without having to spend much time cranking out tens of thousands of rounds of quality, commercial grade ammo.

Perhaps reading comprehension is not one of your strong points as I did not say that I was not a proficient shooter with both hands but that I acknowledged that despite countless hours and tens of thousands of rounds practicing, I could not shoot as well with my non-dominate hand as I could with my dominate hand, which is understandable to anyone that understands the relevant neurological and muscular dynamics of the human body.

RJ
Old 10-02-2012, 19:28   #66
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Sycophants unite, nice try but no cigar. It was the defense (insurance company) expert, testifying on cross-examination. My client was the plaintiff (the injured party).

RJ
Two non sequiturs in one post. Bren and I are hardly united. It doesn't matter who's expert it was, for a couple of grand I could get a neurologist to refute your neurologist.

That you're an ambulance chaser doesn't surprise me as no accomplished lawyer would try such a pathetic trick to try and muddy the issue.

Old 10-02-2012, 19:31   #67
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
I hazard to guess that you are not a litigator and that you have had little, if any, “real world” experience with forensic experts or experts in a litigation enviroment. Your statement is very foolish and asinine. Those are the statements that are typically made by shallow minded individuals exhibiting superficial analysis, but that probably does not apply to you, as you are no doubt a Glock Talk Obi-Wan Kenobi with your group of sycophantic, fawners, and flatterers.

I am unimpressed with what you would have us believe is your relevant experience. I was an active competition shooter from 1976 until 1996 and then I quit competing and now I just shoot for fun. I think that you probably do not have as much disposable income as I do and therefore I doubt that you have attended as many shooting classes, courses, seminars, events and have not fired anywhere near as much ammunition or had the free time to practice shooting as I. Up until a few years ago, I had a Camdex reloader, case sorter and case trimmer as well as the Dillon RL1000 ( their discontinued commercial reloader) so that I could shoot as much ammunition as I wanted without having to spend much time cranking out tens of thousands of rounds of quality, commercial grade ammo.

Perhaps reading comprehension is not one of your strong points as I did not say that I was not a proficient shooter with both hands but that I acknowledged that despite countless hours and tens of thousands of rounds practicing, I could not shoot as well with my non-dominate hand as I could with my dominate hand, which is understandable to anyone that understands the relevant neurological and muscular dynamics of the human body.

RJ
Wow! Just wow!

Old 10-02-2012, 19:39   #68
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Just another data point. I'm a lefty, left eye dominant. I tought myself how to shoot right-handed handguns because most handguns, especially back then, were made for the predominantly right-handed world. Although I still use my left dominant eye, just cock my head slightly, which probably isn't even noticable to an observer.

But when it comes to rifles I shoot lefty. It's too hard to break the left eye dominance.

Your son will likely be more abidextrous than most people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 19:40   #69
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Wow! Just wow!
Clash of the Titans for sure. Not sure who will win.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 21:05   #70
RJ's Guns

Quote:
Two non sequiturs in one post. Bren and I are hardly united. It doesn't matter who's expert it was, for a couple of grand I could get a neurologist to refute your neurologist.

That you're an ambulance chaser doesn't surprise me as no accomplished lawyer would try such a pathetic trick to try and muddy the issue.

What an indictment of the medical profession. Your neurologist prostitute would not stand up to the cross examination of an attorney newly admitted to the bar. I know it is probably very difficult for you to do so, but try to focus like a laser beam on the issue that what I have stated (about dominate hand, fine motor skills) is a PHYSIOLOGICAL fact. You should really take a logic class so that you can come up with a cogent argument, as it stands now, it is pathetic, really.

For the record, I have no need to chase ambulances; I am reputed to be a leading expert in my area of personal injury litigation. I have already made my money and now I function as a litigation expert advising other attorneys how to litigate cases, throughout the nation, within my area of expertise. The attorneys chase after me and I do not need to chase anyone.

RJ
Old 10-03-2012, 03:55   #71
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
What an indictment of the medical profession. Your neurologist prostitute would not stand up to the cross examination of an attorney newly admitted to the bar. I know it is probably very difficult for you to do so, but try to focus like a laser beam on the issue that what I have stated (about dominate hand, fine motor skills) is a PHYSIOLOGICAL fact. You should really take a logic class so that you can come up with a cogent argument, as it stands now, it is pathetic, really.

For the record, I have no need to chase ambulances; I am reputed to be a leading expert in my area of personal injury litigation. I have already made my money and now I function as a litigation expert advising other attorneys how to litigate cases, throughout the nation, within my area of expertise. The attorneys chase after me and I do not need to chase anyone.

RJ
You sound like a 15yo girl who didn't make the cheerleading squad. What a drama queen. I guess the judges put up with your juvenile, immaterial verbage as well? How do you find the time to bother with the likes of us when you are in the middle of a monkey trial?

Old 10-03-2012, 06:37   #72
4Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2340 View Post
He CLAIMS if he shoulders the gun as a LEFTY (again, he IS right handed) that he then CAN see through the scope (???). Plus he seems to have more trouble just trying to shoulder the gun right handed w/ no scope on it, and can do it right every time left handed?
I'd take him to an optometrist. And sooner rather than later.
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:31   #73
Bob Hafler

If it were me I'd teach both of them to shoot with either hand. Naturally they will favor one side over the other,but I can say as a left handed person living in a right hand world that having to learn how to use tools,pistols and rifles with my right hand is a very good thing. Left handed comes natural but shooting right handed does not feel unatural. I have found that being a certain amount of ambidextrous is a big plus in life. If it were me I'd make both of them shoot 60/40 with the off hand doing the the 60% of the shooting. I practice shooting both hands all the time. You just never know when your dominent hand or shoulder might get injured. JMHO.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:50   #74
Kaerous

My dad is right handed, but always shoots and golfs lefty. Some people just have weird quirks when it comes to things.

I would say let him get comfortable shooting first, or else he may grow to dislike shooting if it's not natural.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Kaerous is offline   Reply With Quote