Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:11   #141
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4711 View Post
We communicate using language, the universe doesn't have one beyond math. The numbers are all that matter. We could replace all language describing the universe with complete gibberish and as long as the numbers are right nothing changes.
This is exactly right. Lay people get caught up in the language used, but what most don't realize is that word choice in explaining a theory is largely irrelevant. A theory of physics is expressed in the form of mathematical equations. Equations that when (hopefully) solved yield values that match observed results.

The human mind doesn't work that way so we come up with a set of analogies (called an "interpretation") that help us visualize what the equations represent. The analogies don't have to be perfect. They are just a tool to aid our understanding. Often times, lay people will point out seeming contradictions in the interpretation thinking they've stumbled upon some fundamental flaw in the theory, but that's not how it works at all.

Physics is the math, not the words.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 15:57   #142
ModGlock17

lots of Texas chilli would cause the BBang.

wanna know the science "behind" it ?
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:40   #143
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
lots of Texas chilli would cause the BBang.

wanna know the science "behind" it ?
As long as we don't have to smell the science behind it...

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:02   #144
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Maybe not. Science should always be willing to consider possible alternatives. That's one of the reasons why it works so well. If a new theory comes along then it should be carefully examined, tested and if found to be a superior explanation of observed phenomenon then adopted.

I will say that the Lambda-CDM model of the early universe (popularly known as Big Bang theory) has been extraordinarily successful at describing why the universe is the way it is today. They would have a high bar to overcome to show that their theory is a better fit.
Watching the motion of celestial bodies and measuring the electromagnetic spectrum can lead to some pretty good stories. But it's all supposition that what you are seeing today, tells you what happened billions of years ago. The snapshot humanity has of this process is miniscule compared to how long the universe has been here. I have very little faith that mankind has it all figured out just yet. There is a constant search to explain it though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Cavalry Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:06   #145
Syclone538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
But it's all supposition that what you are seeing today, tells you what happened billions of years ago. The snapshot humanity has of this process is miniscule compared to how long the universe has been here.
You do understand that we can see pretty far, and that light takes time to travel, right?

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:20   #146
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone538 View Post
You do understand that we can see pretty far, and that light takes time to travel, right?
Yes. But if you see a galaxy a billion light years away, and you've been able to see it for a decade or so, at that distance, considering that light can bend, how accurate is your calculation of it's speed and direction? How accurate is our determination of the chemical makeup of structures outside our solar system?

It's pretty obvious that most people believe that the area of the universe we can see is expanding. Why that is happening requires a little imagination to fill in some pretty long standing blanks.

I'm not saying the big bang (and or big chill) didn't happen, I wasn't there. I'm not saying the universe isn't expanding. I'll trust that to be true, even though I haven't spent a lot of time looking through a telescope. Come to think of it, most of us haven't spent enough time looking through a telescope.

--Gunhaver

Old 09-22-2012, 09:35   #147
Syclone538

Quote:
Yes. But if you see a galaxy a billion light years away, and you've been able to see it for a decade or so, at that distance, considering that light can bend, how accurate is your calculation of it's speed and direction? How accurate is our determination of the chemical makeup of structures outside our solar system?
I don't have the answers to these questions.

Quote:
It's pretty obvious that most people believe that the area of the universe we can see is expanding. Why that is happening requires a little imagination to fill in some pretty long standing blanks.
Light takes time to travel and the universe as we know it has not existed forever, so there is a horizon beyond which we can not see because the light has not got here yet. Tomorrow, that horizon will be 1/365 light years farther away, if I understand it correctly.

Quote:
I'm not saying the big bang (and or big chill) didn't happen, I wasn't there. I'm not saying the universe isn't expanding. I'll trust that to be true, even though I haven't spent a lot of time looking through a telescope. Come to think of it, most of us haven't spent enough time looking through a telescope.

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:52   #148
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone538 View Post
I don't have the answers to these questions.

Light takes time to travel and the universe as we know it has not existed forever, so there is a horizon beyond which we can not see because the light has not got here yet. Tomorrow, that horizon will be 1/365 light years farther away, if I understand it correctly.
We can learn a lot about the universe with telescopes. But if that told you everything, why are we sending rovers to mars again?

We are in a very small place, and have been around for a very short time, and considering even the most intelligent among us, a lot of imagination is needed to make it all fit together. We THINK there may have been a big bang (or maybe a chill), but we don't really know. We think the universe is expanding. If it is, then something must have caused it to be expanding. What that something is, is cool to ponder. There is no need to pretend we have the problem solved without any important details left out.

--Gunhaver

Old 09-30-2012, 10:05   #149
Harper

Quote:
Yes. But if you see a galaxy a billion light years away, and you've been able to see it for a decade or so, at that distance, considering that light can bend, how accurate is your calculation of it's speed and direction?
http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/...distances.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_lens

http://www.esa.int/export/esaSC/120366_index_0_m.html
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:12   #150
Harper

Quote:
There is no need to pretend we have the problem solved without any important details left out.
There's also no need to pretend that the important details you're ignorant of, the physicists must be also. I mean seriously, continually pointing out things you don't know and implying physicists' knowledge is no greater than yours is not an argument for anything.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:33   #151
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Math. When you know how light bends and why, its just math. You know the limits of precision of your measurements, that gives you the margin of error for your determinations of speed and direction.

Simply because you're ignorant doesn't make it unknowable.

Quote:
You're just saying: "I'm a troll and I like to see my words in print on the internet".

Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 09-30-2012 at 12:33..
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 17:07   #152
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
Math. When you know how light bends and why, its just math. You know the limits of precision of your measurements, that gives you the margin of error for your determinations of speed and direction.

Simply because you're ignorant doesn't make it unknowable.
We understand it so well in fact that we can use the known and calculable effects of the speed of light, time dilation and relative velocities to create a global positioning system that can pinpoint your location here on Earth to within a few feet with only a handheld device.

Yep, that's right, if our understanding of any of these phenomenon were wrong then GPS as it exists today would be nonfunctional, but don't expect any of these facts to deter the incessant pleas for it being unknowable.

Last edited by Geko45; 10-25-2012 at 15:00..
Old 10-02-2012, 00:01   #153
juggy4711
Nimrod Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
We understand it so well in fact that we can use the known and calculable effects of x to create x.

Yep, that's right, if our understanding of any of these phenomenon were wrong then x as it exists today would be nonfunctional...
X being a variable, there are so many things that x could stand for in the above statement. Existence as we know it, is completely dependent on our understanding of basically every thing science has discovered from the late 1800s forward.
juggy4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:16   #154
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
There's also no need to pretend that the important details you're ignorant of, the physicists must be also. I mean seriously, continually pointing out things you don't know and implying physicists' knowledge is no greater than yours is not an argument for anything.
There is no need to hide the speculation and inference needed to come to conclusions. The only way to validate some of the claims, like being able to tell the chemical makeup of stars millions of light years away is to go there and test them.

There is nothing wrong with understanding the difference between:

This star is mostly hydrogen and we think this star is mostly hydrogen.

--Gunhaver

Old 10-02-2012, 07:47   #155
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

Send a message via AIM to Woofie
Quote:
There is no need to hide the speculation and inference needed to come to conclusions. The only way to validate some of the claims, like being able to tell the chemical makeup of stars millions of light years away is to go there and test them.

There is nothing wrong with understanding the difference between:

Not really. Every element emits it's own unique spectral line. When the light from an object is examined, the presence of a particular pattern indicates the presence fo that element. It's just more math.

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." OXCOPS

"Woofie is the only smart one around here." Photoman642
Woofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:21   #156
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post
Not really. Every element emits it's own unique spectral line. When the light from an object is examined, the presence of a particular pattern indicates the presence of that element. It's just more math.
He's just gonna say that spectral analysis on a distant star has never been confirmed directly by going there in person to test it. Therefore, it's unknowable. He's a one trick pony.

Last edited by Geko45; 10-02-2012 at 08:22..
Old 10-02-2012, 08:58   #157
Harper

Quote:
Again, your ignorance is not everyone else's. Stop listing stuff you know nothing about, we'll be here forever.
Old 10-02-2012, 19:09   #158
juggy4711
Nimrod Son

Quote:
...We THINK there may have been a big bang (or maybe a chill), but we don't really know. We think the universe is expanding. If it is, then something must have caused it to be expanding. What that something is, is cool to ponder. There is no need to pretend we have the problem solved without any important details left out.
You simply do not grasp physics at this level. To keep insisting on language like BB, BC, or cause and effect demonstrate that you do not understand it.

Quote:
...There is nothing wrong with understanding the difference between:

There is something wrong with that because that isn't the case. It's actually like:

This star is mostly hydrogen and if the math used to determine that it was mostly hydrogen was wrong, all of existence as we know it would not be possible.

You don't have to like or believe it, but it is what it is.

Every observable, measurable and repeatable test we can come up with continues to prove that the math is correct. Taking issue with the language used to describe it is pointless. As it has been explained to you multiple times, language is not capable of properly describing the math.

Last edited by juggy4711; 10-02-2012 at 19:10..
juggy4711 is offline   Reply With Quote