Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 20:16   #21
Mr Spock
Vulcan
 
Mr Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,197
[quote=SGT HATRED;19469268]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechRedneck View Post
The Mosin rifle for $129, carbine for $159, and the S2k in .40/Glock for $265. Thought I was losing my mind when I saw that price. Might pick that one up just out of principal.

At that price I bet the sub 2k is already gone. I chose the.40 because I have a glock 23. Never had a problem with just about 100/ rounds. Again at that price I would jump all over it!
After reading how much they're going for, I think I am going to go for the KT for no other reason than I can get that much selling it if I decide I don't like it... If it's there on Monday, it's mine...
Mr Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 21:07   #22
rednoved
NRA Member
 
rednoved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,434
Get the 10/22 and a 91/30 for cheaper than an S2K. If money isn't a factor in your decision, you would just buy all three right now. I'm with the other guy. For the price of the S2K, you could knock 2 guns off your list.

Last edited by rednoved; 09-29-2012 at 21:07..
rednoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:52   #23
Bill Keith
Senior Member
 
Bill Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Humble, TX
Posts: 4,922
I have the G17 Kel Tec and the only major beef I have is that the front sight is pretty cheesy and hard to get adjusted really well. My gun was bought for $300 + tax some years ago and the orange sight blade is held in with a screw and nut...you loosen it up and the orange blade drifts up and down and you have to futz around backing out and tightening the screw and nut both to get the windage set. I adjusted my gun to fire the 147 grain 9mm ammo. Another issue is that Kel-Tec says not to use aluminum cased ammo - so the inexpensive CCI Blazer is not usable. Kel Tec didn't make any effort to allow an owner to easily put a red dot scope or optic on the gun, and if you do rig some way, you lose the abilty to fold it in half, which to me is one of its selling points. Really makes it portable and stowable folded. I keep mine in a small nylon bag in the car trunk. It really rocks with the 33 round magazines!

FWIW, I do like pistol caliber carbines. My favorite is my Marlin Camp Carbine in 45 ACP, second favorite is a Marlin lever action in 357/38 special, then comes the Kel Tec.

By all means, at some point get a Ruger 10/22. It is hard to beat a good 22, a brick of ammo and a fun afternoon at the range or out plinking

Last edited by Bill Keith; 09-30-2012 at 10:56..
Bill Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:19   #24
Taphius
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 713
Id get the s2k and a 10/22 or M&p15-22. Not really fond of my buddys mosin.

My 10/22 is having issues with the bx-25 magazines (all 4) so it may end up being traded or sold to fund the aforementioned 15-22...
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 14:04   #25
Wyoming
Senior Member
 
Wyoming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southwest Wyoming
Posts: 1,995
Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
If you are going after niches just about any gun you listed will work.

Get the Kel Tec now if you can get your hands on one.

The Mosin Nagant rifle second. They made millions of them but they don't make them any more so the longer you wait the more it will cost you.

Shame on you for not owning a Ruger 10-22. If I ran this country you would need to bring one and a voter ID card before I would allow to to vote.

Now work overtime or get a second job and get a Ruger 10-22!

Oh, and don't forget to vote.
__________________
Wyoming
Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 14:11   #26
MadMonkey
Spershul Furces
 
MadMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 2,753
Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey
No self-respecting gun enthusiast should ever have a gun safe devoid of a rifle chambered in .22LR.

That being said... if you found a good deal on a Sub2k, jump on it. If it's an iffy price, get a 10/22 and a few packs of ammo.
MadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 15:22   #27
avenues165
Senior Member
 
avenues165's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 428
Everyone should have a 10/22. My 10/22, made in the 80s, is my favorite firearm of all the firearms I have owned. Cheap to shoot and a lot of fun.
avenues165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:52   #28
Mr Spock
Vulcan
 
Mr Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
If you are going after niches just about any gun you listed will work.

Get the Kel Tec now if you can get your hands on one.

The Mosin Nagant rifle second. They made millions of them but they don't make them any more so the longer you wait the more it will cost you.

Shame on you for not owning a Ruger 10-22. If I ran this country you would need to bring one and a voter ID card before I would allow to to vote.

Now work overtime or get a second job and get a Ruger 10-22!

Oh, and don't forget to vote.
Oh, I'm definitely going to vote... My reasoning for looking at the pistol caliber carbine first is that in the event that there is another run on guns/ammo after the election, that is more likely to be affected by artificially inflated prices than a .22LR rifle. Also, the .22 is more immune to political grandstanding about banning/restricting. Better to get the "evil" guns ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
No self-respecting gun enthusiast should ever have a gun safe devoid of a rifle chambered in .22LR.

That being said... if you found a good deal on a Sub2k, jump on it. If it's an iffy price, get a 10/22 and a few packs of ammo.
The price was apparently fantastic... Going tomorrow morning to see if it's still there.
Mr Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 18:50   #29
bunk22
Senior Member
 
bunk22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,474
Sometimes I don't want to mention the name but something inexpensive and reliable....a Hi-Point 4595/995/4095TS.

General Firearms Forum

I have a 4595TS and thus far, dead nuts reliable. Of course I haven't had it in the sand, dirt, outdoors plinking, etc. But they are being sold for as low as $279 at gunbroker and not quite as hard to find as the Sub 2K. Downsides are weight (around 7lbs), no hi cap mags other than Pro Mag (which aren't the best IMO).
__________________
-Glock Gen 4 G17/G19/G30/G42; Gen 3 G17/G34
-Sig P220ED/226 Navy/226 TacOps/227 SAS/229R/M11-A1D/1911 TACOPS/M400/556xi/HK VP9/XDM 45/XDs 4.0 45/Walther PPX/C39 AK47/RPK47

bunk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 19:25   #30
PhantomF4E
Senior Member
 
PhantomF4E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk22 View Post
Sometimes I don't want to mention the name but something inexpensive and reliable....a Hi-Point 4595/995/4095TS.

General Firearms Forum

I have a 4595TS and thus far, dead nuts reliable. Of course I haven't had it in the sand, dirt, outdoors plinking, etc. But they are being sold for as low as $279 at gunbroker and not quite as hard to find as the Sub 2K. Downsides are weight (around 7lbs), no hi cap mags other than Pro Mag (which aren't the best IMO).
I have one of these but with a red dot on it . Pee on this rude/crude socially unacceptable carbine all you want but I have been around the block a few times in the city of firearms and as unsophisticated as this gun is , there is beauty . I don't hold the carbine up with pride but I will hold it up . It feeds everything . I even tweeked a handload for it , a subsonic 147g GDHP round that runs absolutely flawless . I really wish someone would develop a nice functional hicap mag . But a pocket full of 10 rounders that I can bust a 2 liter coke bottle at all day long at 50yards so often it gets boring , well, it can stay in my safe till it breaks. Then I will send it back and they will fix it for free. The American pistol caliber AK .
__________________
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill
PhantomF4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 19:45   #31
bunk22
Senior Member
 
bunk22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomF4E View Post
I have one of these but with a red dot on it . Pee on this rude/crude socially unacceptable carbine all you want but I have been around the block a few times in the city of firearms and as unsophisticated as this gun is , there is beauty . I don't hold the carbine up with pride but I will hold it up . It feeds everything . I even tweeked a handload for it , a subsonic 147g GDHP round that runs absolutely flawless . I really wish someone would develop a nice functional hicap mag . But a pocket full of 10 rounders that I can bust a 2 liter coke bottle at all day long at 50yards so often it gets boring , well, it can stay in my safe till it breaks. Then I will send it back and they will fix it for free. The American pistol caliber AK .
Very well said. I love mine, great gun, crude, ugly (eye of the beholder), but it works.
__________________
-Glock Gen 4 G17/G19/G30/G42; Gen 3 G17/G34
-Sig P220ED/226 Navy/226 TacOps/227 SAS/229R/M11-A1D/1911 TACOPS/M400/556xi/HK VP9/XDM 45/XDs 4.0 45/Walther PPX/C39 AK47/RPK47

bunk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 21:40   #32
Wyoming
Senior Member
 
Wyoming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southwest Wyoming
Posts: 1,995
Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
" My reasoning for looking at the pistol caliber carbine first is that in the event that there is another run on guns/ammo after the election, that is more likely to be affected by artificially inflated prices than a .22LR rifle. Also, the .22 is more immune to political grandstanding about banning/restricting. Better to get the "evil" guns ASAP. "


I like pistol caliber carbines. Have four in 9mm. At one time not so long ago 9mm was very cheap to shoot. It is still the cheapest centerfire ammo. They are fun and easy to shoot.

Also like 357 mag and 44 mag carbines but that is a revolver thing. If you have a 357 or 44 mag revolver then a carbine is a nice niche fit.
__________________
Wyoming
Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:08   #33
chief63
Senior Member
 
chief63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 251
I have an overpriced CX4 in 9mm I like a lot. Built very well, easy to maintain and accurate. Slapped an H-1 on her and good to go.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
chief63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 17:40   #34
snewsoG22
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
snewsoG22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: show me state
Posts: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozel View Post
If you rapid fire it and forget for a second to put your shoulder fully into to it will jam.
Riiiiiiiigghhtt.....


^not me
__________________
I just don't know how to express myself sometimes when I need to be properly different...
snewsoG22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 18:23   #35
Mr Spock
Vulcan
 
Mr Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,197
Thanks for all the input, guys. When I got the sub2k of the wall at the shop, I just couldn't get a good seat on my shoulder, see the sights, and not feel like it was just awkward for my frame. I REALLY wanted to like it, but my rather long arms and long frame didn't fit very well.

I took the advice of my conscience and half the thread and picked up the 10/22 FINALLY... All in all, a good day.

On a positive note, I found what is by far the best gun shop in the region... Customer service is top notch - not a common thing around here.
Mr Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 21:54   #36
MrGlock21
NRA Instructor
 
MrGlock21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: North Texas
Posts: 4,202


Quote:
Originally Posted by E-2-E View Post
I have all three, so I suggest the Sub2K first. The 10/22 you can get anytime, dime a dozen, and the Mosins are plentiful and prices climb very slow.
^^^^^^
__________________
Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face.
(Thomas Sowell)
MrGlock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 23:26   #37
Kozel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 46.58N 121.75W
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by snewsoG22 View Post
Riiiiiiiigghhtt.....
I watched two of them do that and heard from others about same problem.
Sure you can cut down spring, make them unsafe in the long run but fun enough to make youtube video.
Kozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:35   #38
snewsoG22
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
snewsoG22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: show me state
Posts: 1,400
I'm sure he cut down the springs. Just like every other sub2k bump fire vid on youtube did too!

I have one. I have only put maybe a few hundred rounds through it. It has jammed twice, but I blame the 10 round magazine it came with, since it has worked great with all other magazines. I think you will find the majority opinion on this little gun is very favorable.

I wish the OP had found it more comfortable because they are pretty neat guns. A lot of people think they are hard to get down on the sights enough, but I'm a big guy and don't have a problem with it. I really think it can be overcome with just a bit of practice. 10/22's are great, it was my first gun. I do agree that every collection needs one, but I also think you'll be kicking yourself for not getting the sub2k, OP.
__________________
I just don't know how to express myself sometimes when I need to be properly different...

Last edited by snewsoG22; 10-03-2012 at 04:00..
snewsoG22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:46   #39
Mr Spock
Vulcan
 
Mr Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by snewsoG22 View Post
I'm sure he cut down the springs. Just like every other sub2k bump fire vid on youtube did too!

I have one. I have only put maybe a few hundred rounds through it. It has jammed twice, but I blame the 10 round magazine it came with, since it has worked great with all other magazines. I think you will find the majority opinion on this little gun is very favorable.

I wish the OP had found it more comfortable because they are pretty neat guns. A lot of people think they are hard to get down on the sights enough, but I'm a big guy and don't have a problem with it. I really think it can be overcome with just a bit of practice. 10/22's are great, it was my first gun. I do agree that every collection needs one, but I also think you'll be kicking yourself for not getting the sub2k, OP.
Maybe, but the collection includes a folding stock AK, so I have the short-ish rifle/carbine platform covered, and now I know that I should be looking out for a 9mm or .40 AR platform or something just a little more ergonomic (for me) than the KT if I decide I want something in a pistol caliber.

Now, to save the proper funds and add a 1911 to the collection!
Mr Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:03   #40
snewsoG22
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
snewsoG22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: show me state
Posts: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechRedneck View Post
Maybe, but the collection includes a folding stock AK, so I have the short-ish rifle/carbine platform covered, and now I know that I should be looking out for a 9mm or .40 AR platform or something just a little more ergonomic (for me) than the KT if I decide I want something in a pistol caliber.

Now, to save the proper funds and add a 1911 to the collection!
I would say that a folding AK and a sub2k can do many of the same things, so in your case the 10/22 was probably a great choice. Hope you love your new rifle! but why would you want a 1911?
__________________
I just don't know how to express myself sometimes when I need to be properly different...
snewsoG22 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 22:37.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,088
270 Members
818 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31