Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:09   #41
G19freak

The dirty little secret is that the 20ga is one of the worse recoilers out there---typically weighing a pound less than a similar 12ga while shooting the same weight (or nearly so) payload---well, somethings gotta give.
Old 09-22-2012, 15:31   #42
Buffering
The Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19freak View Post
The dirty little secret is that the 20ga is one of the worse recoilers out there---typically weighing a pound less than a similar 12ga while shooting the same weight (or nearly so) payload---well, somethings gotta give.
Actually, I don't know that this has ever been scientifically established. Yes, we all use the Shoulderometer but that's not reliable enough except for internet use.

If there are studies with scientific measurements of the 12 v. 20 gauge recoil I'd certainly like to see them and I bet Federal would too. And so would Remington.
"Of every 100 men that go to battle 70 should not even be there, 20 are nothing but targets, 9 are true soldiers, and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make but ONE, one is a warrior, and HE will bring the others home." Hericlitus

Last edited by Buffering; 09-22-2012 at 15:46..
Buffering is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 16:11   #43
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19freak View Post
My wife agrees with you. She got in a small argument with a "guncounter dude" once over that very issue. I had to step in and inform him that her upland gun was a 20 ga 870 but her HD was a Winchester 1200 or a SxS 12 ga coach gun, both much heavier than the 20.

I am a big proponent of the 20 for HD but, I have a good amount of upper body strength and hand strength so I take a lot of recoil with my hands and arms rather than shoulder if I have a gun I can "manhandle". Much like I find my little Remington 600 to be a more pleasant .308 to shoot than a larger .308 bolt gun.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 16:14   #44
Gray_Rider

One thing I have found about my Stoeger Coach is its overall length, 36". I have a hallway that leads directly from my bedroom down the hall to my front door. The short barrels, 20" long, gives lots of side to side room should I need it in a hallway 36" wide.
If someone ducks behind the corner of my hallway livingroom/kitchen wall....surprise!

Yours in the Cause,

Gray_Rider