SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:32   #1
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

6.8 to 5.56 Conversion

What do you guys recommend as far as the BCG and bbl? I'm not going to swap out the whole upper unles it'd cost about the same to change the internals. I know to go with PMAGS...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:45   #2
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware Owner View Post
What do you guys recommend as far as the BCG and bbl? I'm not going to swap out the whole upper unles it'd cost about the same to change the internals. I know to go with PMAGS...
If you're not looking to spend a ton Palmetto is a good place to start. If you can spend a little more, BCM is where it's at. If it were me, I'd probably get Palmetto barrel and a BCM BCG.

-Edward Conlon
rockapede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:20   #3
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

I'm not too sure about the twist rate, is 1:7 the most common? Is it used for the heavier bullets?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:37   #4
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

A stripped PSA or Spikes barrel (both are FN) will run about $160-200 depending on your flavor. 1-7 is standard USGI twist but there are some advantages with 1-8 and 1-9 especially if you run a lot of 55 grain M193. If you want a barrel with a FSB you'll need to add about $50 to that price.

All you need is a new bolt not an entire BCG. So about $60 for the bolt.

And someone to screw the barrel on for you...

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:26   #5
rockapede

Quote:
I'm not too sure about the twist rate, is 1:7 the most common? Is it used for the heavier bullets?
1 in 7 will be good for anything from about 50 grain on up. Some of the lighter constructed bullets may come apart out of a fast barrel like that, but I've never had an issue with any of the 55gr stuff I've shot. Accuracy may or may not be as good with the lighter bullets as with heavier, as well.

-Edward Conlon
Old 10-02-2012, 09:28   #6
rockapede

Oh, and FYI, P-Mags are great but the problems with quality GI mags are greatly exaggerated.

-Edward Conlon
Old 10-02-2012, 09:39   #7
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Seems like you can't find a goog upper for under $700!

Old 10-02-2012, 09:48   #8
rockapede

Quote:
Seems like you can't find a goog upper for under $700!
Sure you can, depending on what you want. What features are you looking for?

-Edward Conlon
Old 10-02-2012, 11:37   #9
DougW
Native Texan

I just converted one of my rifles from 5.56 to 6.8 with a Palmetto barrel and DPMS bolt. Barrel changes are easy for me because I have the proper tools, so the total conversion took less than 30 minutes.

Pmags are great. I have 2 kids deployed right now in Kandahar using Pmags daily. But, there are a lot of good mags out there.

1 in 7 is what the .mil uses. Good up to 62gr, possibly (depending on your barrel) 68gr. All my 5.56 rifles are 1 in 9.

Proud Father of Two US Army Soldiers

Last edited by DougW; 10-02-2012 at 20:23..
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:46   #10
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
I just converted one of my rifles from 5.56 to 6.8 with a Palmetto barrel and DPMS bolt. Barrel changes are easy for me because I have the proper tools, so the total conversion took less than 30 minutes.

Pmags are great. I have 2 deployed right now using Pmags daily. But, there are a lot of good mags out there.

1 in 7 is what the .mil uses. Good up to 62gr, possibly (depending on your barrel) 68gr. All my 5.56 rifles are 1 in 9.
1 in 7 is fine for up to 80gr or greater, generally.

-Edward Conlon
Old 10-02-2012, 11:56   #11
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
Sure you can, depending on what you want. What features are you looking for?
Flip up front sight, M4 configuration, removable handle. Wouldn't mind a free floater, but that is what racks up the price, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post

Pmags are great. I have 2 deployed right now using Pmags daily. But, there are a lot of good mags out there.

I want to shoot both calibers frequently, looks like getting a dedicated upper is the best solution, would you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
1 in 7 is fine for up to 80gr or greater, generally.
Would 1 in 9 not be good for lighter loads?

Old 10-02-2012, 12:11   #12
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Dedicated upper would be my choice and just swap out bolt heads. You can buy Stag uppers less a bolt carrier for around $480 and they are fine.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:12   #13
m2hmghb

Quote:
Flip up front sight, M4 configuration, removable handle. Wouldn't mind a free floater, but that is what racks up the price, I think.

I want to shoot both calibers frequently, looks like getting a dedicated upper is the best solution, would you think?

The faster the twist the heavier the bullet it will support in .223. A 1-9 will work with around 69-75 grain bullets, but the 1-7 will work up to 80 grains and above. The 1-9 works well with the 55 grain rounds as well as the heavier 69 grains(some barrels will shoot 75 grains some won't, the 1-7 will shoot 75 grains but the 55 grainers aren't as accurate).

If you don't have the tools on hand to do a barrel change, which includes a torque wrench, vise, clamp system, and barrel nut wrench you'd be better off with the second upper.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.

Last edited by m2hmghb; 10-02-2012 at 12:13..
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:14   #14
rockapede

Quote:

1 in 9 would be fine for lighter loads, so long as you realize it limits you more than likely to 69gr and under. If you have no intention of ever shooting heavier bullets then don't worry about it. If you want to shoot both calibers frequently, another upper is definitely the way to go. Check out Palmetto State Armory under barreled upper assemblies section. You should be able to get what you want in a basic upper for south of $500, with the possible exception of the folding front sight as most of their uppers (and most of anyone's uppers) come with forged front sight bases.

-Edward Conlon
Old 10-02-2012, 12:58   #15
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Dedicated upper would be my choice and just swap out bolt heads. You can buy Stag uppers less a bolt carrier for around $480 and they are fine.
Not bad! I'll definitely look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
The faster the twist the heavier the bullet it will support in .223. A 1-9 will work with around 69-75 grain bullets, but the 1-7 will work up to 80 grains and above. The 1-9 works well with the 55 grain rounds as well as the heavier 69 grains(some barrels will shoot 75 grains some won't, the 1-7 will shoot 75 grains but the 55 grainers aren't as accurate).
What do you prefer and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
If you don't have the tools on hand to do a barrel change, which includes a torque wrench, vise, clamp system, and barrel nut wrench you'd be better off with the second upper.
I just saw that, nothing quick about just changing the barrel. Ugh.

Old 10-02-2012, 13:09   #16
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

What are your preferred twist rates and bullet weights?

Old 10-02-2012, 13:19   #17
rockapede

Quote:
What are your preferred twist rates and bullet weights?
I like 1 in 7 because I shoot anything from 55gr to 77gr. I practice mostly with 55gr and don't have issues with accuracy serious enough to make me wish I had a slower twist barrel.

-Edward Conlon
Old 10-02-2012, 13:43   #18
m2hmghb

I like 1-9, I don't shoot 77 grain rounds and most of the practice fodder is M193(55 grain FMJ) or 69 grain match rounds. Then you get into the chrome lined or not lined debate.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 16:24   #19
Trey83

Quote:
You should definitely get a dedicate upper if you are going to be swapping frequently.
Old 10-02-2012, 17:09   #20
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Would be better off ordering an entire upper
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote