Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-01-2012, 15:05   #51
Bren
NRA Life Member

My wife took the MSF basic class in 2008, never having ridden a motorcycle of any kind before. She got a Harley 883 Sportster and has been riding it ever since. Not difficult.
Old 10-01-2012, 15:24   #52
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
My wife took the MSF basic class in 2008, never having ridden a motorcycle of any kind before. She got a Harley 883 Sportster and has been riding it ever since. Not difficult.
The class is definitely not difficult, but it has enough technical difficulty to weed out those who can't throttle/clutch/brake/balance at the same time. Or at least give them a heads-up on their wants anyway.

Though chances are after failing the MSF course, they'd head down to the local joint and pick up an 800-lbs cruiser/175-HP Hayabusa anyway because those pricks in the class don't know that they are really mature and can really handle motorcycles, and the drills are stupid anyway.
Old 10-01-2012, 18:58   #53
sappy13

having her take a msf course also has another HUGE plus. You dont have to teach her on your bike or the one you buy for her. That 250 bucks for the class pays for it self with just that simple fact. They expect people to drop those bike and possibly have a small wreck, so if it happens it happens. And no tension between the 2 of you if she is having a hard time doing something you try to teach her since the instructors will be doing all that.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 20:38   #54
dabigguns357

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappy13 View Post
having her take a msf course also has another HUGE plus. You dont have to teach her on your bike or the one you buy for her. That 250 bucks for the class pays for it self with just that simple fact. They expect people to drop those bike and possibly have a small wreck, so if it happens it happens. And no tension between the 2 of you if she is having a hard time doing something you try to teach her since the instructors will be doing all that.

Sounds like money well spent.

We don't have a lot of deallers around here and the one we went by wasn't terribly helpfull as all they had was high end dirtbikes and road kings,and no used ones.

I guess the season is kinda gone for the used ones,thats ok we still need safety courses and the spring time.
dabigguns357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 20:53   #55
Jack23
I. B. Glockin'

In my nearly 40 years riding I've ridden with several groups that had some of the more petite ladies riding the Honda Rebels. They look great and perform great. They are great bikes. I never saw anyone have any problems.
G-17, G-23, G-21, G-36, Ruger blackhawk, ss, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark II, Ruger SP101, British Webley MKI .455, Kel-Tec P32, S&W top break .38, S&W 24-3 .44spl N frame Colt 1903 .32, Heritage .22 Combo, Colt AR-15, LE6920.
Jack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 21:04   #56
eaglefrq
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigguns357 View Post
Sounds like money well spent.

We don't have a lot of deallers around here and the one we went by wasn't terribly helpfull as all they had was high end dirtbikes and road kings,and no used ones.

I guess the season is kinda gone for the used ones,thats ok we still need safety courses and the spring time.
Unfortunately, that is all to common. It seems like motorcycle dealerships are more than willing to sell the big heavy cruisers and sport bikes to brand new riders who obviously can't handle them.

On the flip side, I have seen (rarely) a salesman try and talk someone out of a certain bike and the person is adamant and won't accept the advice of the dealer.

If you know someone that is knowledgeable about bikes, I would check craigslist and have your friend go with you to look at them.
Old 10-01-2012, 21:46   #57
The Maggy

Start small and pass the MSF.

It doesn't matter if her feet can touch the ground, how loud the pipes are, how much the bike weighs, how much chrome is on the engine, ect...

What matters is the first time some one cuts her off in traffic or she gooses the throttle coming up to an intersection. Bigger bikes are going to be less tolerant of beginner mistakes. That rebel 250 may not be able to handle highway speeds (it tops out at 75-80) but if she freezes or freaks out, she's not going to be straddling a rocket ship.

1)Good training with practice after the course is over. The MSF gives you a ground level to build off of. They teach you the basics, the basics need to be practiced.

2)Good gear that you actually researched (not all gear is the same)

3)A well maintained bike that she can handle (both physically and mentally.)

Last edited by The Maggy; 10-01-2012 at 21:49..
The Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 21:49   #58
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglefrq View Post
Unfortunately, that is all to common. It seems like motorcycle dealerships are more than willing to sell the big heavy cruisers and sport bikes to brand new riders who obviously can't handle them.

On the flip side, I have seen (rarely) a salesman try and talk someone out of a certain bike and the person is adamant and won't accept the advice of the dealer.

If you know someone that is knowledgeable about bikes, I would check craigslist and have your friend go with you to look at them.
It's always a balancing act - I sold motorcycles while I was in college and also rode them competitively during that period. I would always try to sell a person who was new to motorcycling as large a bike as I though they could handle, just so they wouldn't quickly outgrow a smaller motorcycle.

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 21:58   #59
dabigguns357

Once we get the safeties out of the way and find her a comfortable bike,i have the perfect road to get her some experience on.

Rural route 2 that spans from Huntington Wv all the way up to Mason,WV,about 2 hours by car.

Farms on the right and Ohio river on the left as far as the eye can see with suprisingly little traffic.What i would call perfect for beginners including me,and it's only 2 miles from my house.
Old 10-01-2012, 22:24   #60
Halojumper

Send a message via AIM to Halojumper Send a message via Yahoo to Halojumper
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-RAMIE View Post
That's fake. No real Harley guy would let you lay his bike down on the chrome like that. Oh wait, it was a Sportster. Never mind!
Halojumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 22:24   #61
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglefrq View Post
They're there to sell things legally and not to be nursemaids.

Quote:
The customer is always right, especially the ones that don't listen to advice.
Old 10-01-2012, 22:28   #62
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Very true, but we're talking motorcycles in this thread, not plastic toys.
Now you've done it!!!

<<Hyosung GT-250 whore...

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 22:42   #63
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post

<<Hyosung GT-250 whore...
You didn't even have the decency to go Japanese...
Old 10-01-2012, 22:46   #64
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Korea never bombed Pearl Harbor! HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 22:50   #65
Halojumper

Quote:
Touché!
Old 10-02-2012, 00:49   #66
GVFlyer

Quote:
It was the Germans.

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Old 10-02-2012, 01:00   #67
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I decided that it was time to get something that was made in America into my garage.

The Okie Corral

What is that in your avatar and what advantages did it bring to the table to cause you to bring it home?

Old 10-02-2012, 01:18   #68
RHVEtte

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappy13 View Post
Couple of things. First, definitely take a class. Especially because, at least here in IN, the ABATE course was only $75. Saved that much on two months of insurance payments, so just get it over with. Also, if you fail the ABATE course, you honestly shouldn't be allowed within 100 yds of a motorcycle. It was pretty much the absolute basics.

Second thing. Do not be afraid to spend money on gear once you've decided you want to get on the road. I bought an $80 Fulmer helmet for the ABATE course since you need one to take it and I wasn't sure I'd even like it, having never ridden a motorcycle before. Considering that I know we didn't break 30 and maybe didn't even break 20, I feel safe recommending an entry level helmet for that. But definitely go up a step or two before heading out on the road. The noise reduction and comfort are astounding. In the same vein, you can do the ABATE course with minimal gear. A light jacket, gloves, jeans, and boots are all you need; stuff you can probably scavenge from your existing wardrobe. NONE of that stuff is good enough for actual road use. Buy a good armored jacket, buy armored pants, buy better gloves and boots with proper support and protection.
Liberty is a candle in a tempest. It is a rare and beautiful thing that must be jealously guarded, lest it be snuffed out. And like the candle, Liberty under tyranny is difficult to reignite. -- undoubtedly said by someone smarter than I.
RHVEtte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:42   #69
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Once we get the safeties out of the way and find her a comfortable bike,i have the perfect road to get her some experience on.

Rural route 2 that spans from Huntington Wv all the way up to Mason,WV,about 2 hours by car.

Farms on the right and Ohio river on the left as far as the eye can see with suprisingly little traffic.What i would call perfect for beginners including me,and it's only 2 miles from my house.
It better be a lot different than the other roads around there. Last year I volunteered to help out a JROTC competition south of Huntington and I probably averaged 25 MPH in my truck on those roads. Made "the Dragon" look like an expressway.

You might try taking MSF basic, then getting a bike, then taking MSF ERC (like basic, but on your own motorcycle). That's what my wife did. The ERC only cost us $25 for a 1-day class, all on the track.

Last edited by Bren; 10-02-2012 at 08:51..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:13   #70
dabigguns357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
It better be a lot different than the other roads around there. Last year I volunteered to help out a JROTC competition south of Huntington and I probably averaged 25 MPH in my truck on those roads. Made "the Dragon" look like an expressway.

You might try taking MSF basic, then getting a bike, then taking MSF ERC (like basic, but on your own motorcycle). That's what my wiofe did. The ERC only cost us $25 for a 1-day class, all on the track.
We are getting some gear first, then I'm going to sign us both up for classes. We have decided to wait for springe to buy bikes
Old 10-02-2012, 07:19   #71
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

It isn't about the engine size, rather it's about seat height. I learned to ride at age 10. When stopping, I had to lean the bike over very far just so I could put a foot down. Small women handle big bikes fine, they just can't hold them up if having to lean to put down a foot.

Last edited by Clutch Cargo; 10-02-2012 at 07:21..
Clutch Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:24   #72
Eurodriver

I took the MSF course.

I have to say - I thought it was going to be extremely stupid (and the first 20 minutes or so on the track is. "Touch the horn button. Now press the horn for 2 seconds BEEEEEEP. Okay people, now that you've used the horn, touch the high beam switch etc etc"

But the 2nd half of day 1 and all of day 2 were great. The quick braking, swerving, etc. Its not an INCREDIBLE course, but its great with the fundamentals.

Now would be a good time of year to take it. I took it in early July. It was only about 95 but the humidity was over 90%...it jumped up to 100% when it rained but at least the temp dropped to 85. It felt great in jeans, a long sleeve shirt, gloves, full face helmet, boots, etc.

Last edited by Eurodriver; 10-02-2012 at 07:25..
Eurodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:29   #73
Halojumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
It isn't about the engine size, rather it's about seat height. I learned to ride at age 10. When stopping, I had to lean the bike over very far just so I could put a foot down.
LOL, I still have to do that!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:52   #74
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Yeah, but Pusan gave plenty of American sailors the clap.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:55   #75
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
We are getting some gear first, then I'm going to sign us both up for classes. We have decided to wait for springe to buy bikes
The MSF course usually lends out helmets as well as motorcycles. All you have to do is come with long sleeve shirt, some sort of gloves and boots.

Before you commit to buying gears and spending money, I'd suggest for the old lady to: a) pass the course first, and b) WANTS to ride.