SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-29-2012, 20:36   #61
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
For me... or my neighbor with the 20X binos?
Actually, it could go either way

Richard
Old 09-29-2012, 20:48   #62
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
But then that was what you asked for. 550 or 650? figured you did your homework on the 1050.
Well, I did to a degree... but eventually determined the extra cost, added complexity, and less warranty weren't worth it. Now....???
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 20:57   #63
unclebob

Quote:
Well, I did to a degree... but eventually determined the extra cost, added complexity, and less warranty weren't worth it. Now....???
What you wish for is what you will receive.
Probably did not do it with you. But most of the time I ask the OP what they will be loading for? How much do they shoot? Are they into or think about getting into competition? How much time do they have to reload? What guns do they have now and what are their plans in the future? Just to name a few. Arenít you lucky I didnít tell you to get a 550?
GSSF Life Member
Old 09-29-2012, 20:58   #64
SARDG

Quote:
A Dillon 650 with case feeder. Once it is set up place a bullet on the case at station 4 pull handle down raise handle fill primer being seated seat primer. Look at station 3 to verify powder is in the case. Put bullet on case at station 4. Pull handle. Keep doing this until the primer buzzer goes off.
But I plan to drop the bullet at Sta 3, seat in 4, crimp in 5. I can check Sta 3 before raising the platform.
Old 09-29-2012, 21:03   #65
SARDG

Quote:
...Arenít you lucky I didnít tell you to get a 550?
Definitely. I'm sure it's a fine machine, but you know I shoot through too much competitive ammo - and besides, I like the increased capabilities and auto-indexing for sure. For what I am doing, the 550 would have been a dead end.
Old 09-29-2012, 21:16   #66
shotgunred
reloading nut

How many rounds do you shoot a week?
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 21:41   #67
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
How many rounds do you shoot a week?
If I religiously go to regularly scheduled match practices, and then 4 monthly matches and say... one additional club event per month... about 1600-1800 / month, plus a GSSF match every couple of months for another 500-600 rounds at a match. With that, I was on track for about 25,000 rounds / year (centerfire), but now am likely down to 15,000 / year as I just can't make all the practices and matches lately. Plus it takes time to reload some. I don't suppose that's a lot compared to a champ, but I'm just a hacker.

With actual time piddling around, I most certainly don't load 800 rounds / hr in real-life time.
Old 09-29-2012, 21:56   #68
shotgunred
reloading nut

When I was loading 15K rounds a year I was happy reloading on my 550. To much life has happened this year and I doubt I have reload 5K on my 650. Hopefully I will be back to that level next year.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:02   #69
unclebob

Quote:
But I plan to drop the bullet at Sta 3, seat in 4, crimp in 5. I can check Sta 3 before raising the platform.
That was no directed to you. It was for People that think that they have to look at every operation of the 650 press.
But yes if you install a bullet feeder that is how you do it. The bullet feeder takes the place of the powder check.
If you would load standing and get the press at the right height production rate goes up also.
GSSF Life Member
Old 09-30-2012, 07:38   #70
SARDG

Quote:
...If you would load standing and get the press at the right height production rate goes up also.
Maybe, but I'm not using the Strong Mount and I'm not in a rounds/hour race. I may hold the record for fewest average rounds produced per hour on a 650.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:52   #71
unclebob

Quote:
Maybe, but I'm not using the Strong Mount and I'm not in a rounds/hour race. I may hold the record for fewest average rounds produced per hour on a 650.
I think you missed my point and you donít need to use a strong mount. Even though for me a strong mount works better in a lot of different ways.
It takes me about 7 to 8 minutes to load until the buzzer goes off. For me it is a very smooth relaxed speed.
GSSF Life Member
Old 09-30-2012, 13:11   #72
fredj338

Quote:
Definitely. I'm sure it's a fine machine, but you know I shoot through too much competitive ammo - and besides, I like the increased capabilities and auto-indexing for sure. For what I am doing, the 550 would have been a dead end.
Not really Sarg. Running a 550 @ 500rds/hr is not a dead end, just not the 800rds/hr of a 650. The vast majority of shooters can't even realize the speed of a 550B. Even at 2000rds/m, that's 1hr/wk on a 550, again, hardely a dead end. Run a 650 w/o the case feeder, it's no faster than a 550B.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 09-30-2012 at 13:13..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 14:14   #73
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Not really Sarg. Running a 550 @ 500rds/hr is not a dead end, just not the 800rds/hr of a 650. The vast majority of shooters can't even realize the speed of a 550B. Even at 2000rds/m, that's 1hr/wk on a 550, again, hardely a dead end. Run a 650 w/o the case feeder, it's no faster than a 550B.
It's not so much a dead end for speed, as I am no speed demon with the 650 anyway; it would have been a dead end for adding a bullet feeder - unless I also combined seat and crimp AND dropped the powder alarm.

I don't care so much about rated capacity, as I do about efficiency for the rounds I do produce. In other words, if I need 500 rounds for a weekend match, I'd rather spend 2 hours on a 650, than 3 hours (or whatever) on a 550. I am all about efficiency and ease of production per (quality match) round, than saving a couple of bucks on a press that costs me more personal time per round.

ETA: I have the 650 case feeder. Again.... time savings and efficiency.

Last edited by SARDG; 09-30-2012 at 14:16..
Old 10-01-2012, 18:22   #74
fredj338

Quote:
It's not so much a dead end for speed, as I am no speed demon with the 650 anyway; it would have been a dead end for adding a bullet feeder - unless I also combined seat and crimp AND dropped the powder alarm.

I don't care so much about rated capacity, as I do about efficiency for the rounds I do produce. In other words, if I need 500 rounds for a weekend match, I'd rather spend 2 hours on a 650, than 3 hours (or whatever) on a 550. I am all about efficiency and ease of production per (quality match) round, than saving a couple of bucks on a press that costs me more personal time per round.

ETA: I have the 650 case feeder. Again.... time savings and efficiency.
Very true, the 4stn does limit one. I use a powder cop only for my rifle stuff & that runs fine on the 550. I would like a bullet feeder for the 650, but I shoot lead bullets almost exclusively. They are not happy running in most bullet feeders unless you go moly & I hate moly.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 10-01-2012 at 18:22..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 20:30   #75
PsychoKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Well said. I think we have someone here who wasn't coordinated enough to use the simpler tools to good effect. For instance, I can deprime and resize and prime brass while babysitting my daughter from the couch. No danger to the quality of the reloads and I am therefore able to turn "down time" into useful reloading time, but this requires multi-tasking skills that drug abusers lack. They are best left to a focused project where they can focus what they have left that still works in the cerebellum like an automaton. Using simple tools where you have to plan ahead and have to organize you work is a strain on their capabilities. It is best that they understand their limits and stick to the simpler methods.

The sad part is that those folks feel inadequate because they could not master the basic tools and therefore have to belittle them. Much like a woodworker who uses nothing but power tools because thetechniques of choosing a hand tool, like a plane, and using it effectively elude them. Ergo they may turn out functional work but it lacks the aesthetics and quality of an item that is created by someone who understands the grain of the wood and works with it, rather than uses power tools to ignore the natural strengths and weaknesses of the material.

Sad really that he references his Grandparents. My Grandfather taught me to use a table saw and a jointer but he also taught me the sometimes a hand saw makes a better unique dovetail joint, and a cabinet scraper may produce a better effect than a power sander.
Okay, sorry - talking like a politician during a campaign.

Point is: The Lee Hand Press sucks.

Wisky loves it; made thousands of rounds on it.

It still sucks.

OP Sheppick said "looking for the single stage hand loader was purely because I don't have a work bench area," so I assume he's talkin' Lee Hand Press. It was first loader (borrowed) & processed 300 rds 44mag on it.

Did I mention it sucks?

Last edited by PsychoKnight; 10-01-2012 at 20:38..
PsychoKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 20:58   #76
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoKnight View Post
Okay, sorry - talking like a politician during a campaign.

Point is: The Lee Hand Press sucks.

Wisky loves it; made thousands of rounds on it.

It still sucks.

OP Sheppick said "looking for the single stage hand loader was purely because I don't have a work bench area," so I assume he's talkin' Lee Hand Press. It was first loader (borrowed) & processed 300 rds 44mag on it.

Did I mention it sucks?
Yes, but I'm not sure the point has been made forcefully enough.

I can't even imagine how grim it would be to make pistol ammo on that little press.

Richard