GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 08:37   #76
hamster
NRA Life Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,044
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLglockdude View Post
Always, concealed means concealed.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Except in notify states.

I try to carry whenever I can, but there are certain people who I absolutely do not want to know I carry. If there is any chance I'll be in a vehicle with them, I don't carry because of the Notification requirement in Ohio.


Furthermore, we have many, many MANY places where carry is not legal. So depending on where it is going my pistol would spend more time locked up in a safe in my car than on me. In those instances, I don't bother.
hamster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:10   #77
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
So say you are invited to a family dinner, a dinner at your boss' place, or lunch with friends that aren't really close. Do you carry?

Why wouldn't I ?
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:32   #78
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick
 
redbaron007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southwest Missouri
Posts: 6,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
So say you are invited to a family dinner, a dinner at your boss' place, or lunch with friends that aren't really close. Do you carry?
Yep.....

However the only exception is at my boss' place. It is generally work related; and therefore, work rules apply and so no carry.




red
__________________
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632


R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:43   #79
dosei
Senior Member
 
dosei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 4,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
So say you are invited to a family dinner, a dinner at your boss' place, or lunch with friends that aren't really close. Do you carry?
Easier to just tell you where I DO NOT carry. I don't carry anywhere I am not allowed to. Everywhere else, is carryland.

Simple enough?
__________________
Big Dawg No. 1431
Carolina Glocker No. 1431
"Freedom is a system based on courage" (Charles Peguy)
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:50   #80
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA
 
janice6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 17,251


I believe it's ludicrous to say a pistol is only necessary in certain situations and with certain people.

If someone were to point out the specific situations and persons, that will threaten my life, I would certainly carry in those situations. However, no one being gifted, and knowing by whom and when, your life may end, means you have to simply be prepared always.

I carry at family events. Not because family is a problem, but because I cannot predict who else may decide to join us. My family has my back, and I trust them to be carrying also. We care for each other.

It has already been stated that criminals are taking advantage of a situation and a perceived weakness in an individual or situation. I consider situations where it doesn't seem threatening, to be ideal places for bad to happen.

Predators don't want a fair fight; they want you incapacitated either by pre-occupation or by force. I don't give them the chance. When you have the least reason to worry; worry, and be vigilant.

If you are going to "die", go on your terms not some thugs.
__________________
janice6

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:27   #81
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member
 
Gallium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 47,557


Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
I understand your point of view, and don't quarrel with it. I just don't allow the fear (concern, possibility, or whatever one might call the probability of attack) to burden my daily outlook on life, unless I plan to be in unfamiliar surroundings.

My family has been raised and moved on. I usually travel solo, even doing day-to-day errands. I live and travel in a very low crime area. Our friends, family and colleagues are stable, predictable and reliable; none of these folks carry, as far as I know. Thus, I believe my chance of being attacked is too low to warrant concern; if something terrible goes down because I'm not prepared, my bad.

I'm not being cavalier. In my case, I believe my behavior is perfectly realistic.

And I too take no umbrage with your perspective. In life, everything works (theories, a hypothesis, laws) until they don't work. I too work under the theory that by not going to stupid places, and not doing stupid things, and not hanging out with stupid people, I have mitigated my risk of running into society's scourge.

My gun is for when my theory stops working.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:47   #82
Simpleman71
Senior Member
 
Simpleman71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Delaware
Posts: 461
always
Simpleman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:21   #83
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy
 
DWARREN123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CLARKSVILLE TN
Posts: 3,933
Yes!
__________________
Have a Nice Day
DWARREN123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 14:25   #84
ca survivor
Senior Member
 
ca survivor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,925
If I'm wearing pants.....I have a gun and a knife
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 15:32   #85
Orive 8
Senior Member
 
Orive 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Mt. Lebanon, PA
Posts: 511
Yes for me, yes for my wife. EDC for the two of us since 1985.
__________________
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.
Orive 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 15:43   #86
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze
 
Clutch Cargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosei View Post
Easier to just tell you where I DO NOT carry. I don't carry anywhere I am not allowed to. Everywhere else, is carryland.

Simple enough?
In Texas. that could mean the home of a friend or co-worker.
__________________
GTDS
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
Clutch Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 19:15   #87
M24C
Senior Member
 
M24C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 258
Yes, ever since I had conceal carry permit.
__________________
22C Gen 2, 17 Gen 2, 26 Gen 4, 30 SF
40 Club number #164
M24C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 19:20   #88
jdavionic
NRA Member
 
jdavionic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,819
I always carry where I can legally carry.
__________________
- JD

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 19:54   #89
Indianashooter
Senior Member
 
Indianashooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 250
The only place I don't carry is at work (no gun policy). Even then, it's in the car with me to and from work. Evenings and weekends, excepting when I'm a sleep or in the shower, a guns always on me.
Indianashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 20:29   #90
PhotoFeller
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Midwest and south
Posts: 2,681
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
I believe it's ludicrous to say a pistol is only necessary in certain situations and with certain people.

If someone were to point out the specific situations and persons, that will threaten my life, I would certainly carry in those situations. However, no one being gifted, and knowing by whom and when, your life may end, means you have to simply be prepared always.

I carry at family events. Not because family is a problem, but because I cannot predict who else may decide to join us. My family has my back, and I trust them to be carrying also. We care for each other.

It has already been stated that criminals are taking advantage of a situation and a perceived weakness in an individual or situation. I consider situations where it doesn't seem threatening, to be ideal places for bad to happen.

Predators don't want a fair fight; they want you incapacitated either by pre-occupation or by force. I don't give them the chance. When you have the least reason to worry; worry, and be vigilant.

If you are going to "die", go on your terms not some thugs.
I'm satisfied that you and Gallium are sincere in your carry philosophy, but you two are on the opposite end of the spectrum from me (always prepared on one end vs. selectively prepared on the other).

As I recall j6, you have had some dangerous personal circumstances to cope with which helped shape your perspective on the need to carry. That's how life works; our experiences and observations are cues that condition how we respond to our surroundings. Carrying is a defense mechanism.

You might say I've led a charmed life because I have never been confronted with a personal threat. My record spans 70+ years, so I've cruised for a long time without incident. I was raised in a small, safe, community surrounded by friends and neighbors who behaved themselves. I worked 40 years in a professional environment where excessive booze, drugs and violence were not part of the scene.

Yes, I read about assaults and home invasions in the newspapers. I'm aware of robberies and random shootings. These events generally happen at times and at places that don't match my life pattern.

My primary concerns are about strokes, heart attacks and auto accidents, so I take care of myself and drive defensively; my vehicle is a large SUV; I'm served by a cardiologist, a urologist, and an internal medicine specialist. The risk of these threats, for me, has far, far greater probability than an attack requiring self defense measures.

My philosophy isn't better or smarter, just different. I don't think one philosophy is necessarily superior to another; a cookie cutter just doesn't work for self defense. In my opinion, one's philosophy should be based on a thoughtful analysis of risks and priorities. In my case, good health and safety on the road top the priority list.
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 20:54   #91
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member
 
Gallium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 47,557


Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
I'm satisfied that you and Gallium are sincere in your carry philosophy, but you two are on the opposite end of the spectrum from me (always prepared on one end vs. selectively prepared on the other).

As I recall j6, you have had some dangerous personal circumstances to cope with which helped shape your perspective on the need to carry. That's how life works; our experiences and observations are cues that condition how we respond to our surroundings. Carrying is a defense mechanism.

You might say I've led a charmed life because I have never been confronted with a personal threat. My record spans 70+ years, so I've cruised for a long time without incident. I was raised in a small, safe, community surrounded by friends and neighbors who behaved themselves. I worked 40 years in a professional environment where excessive booze, drugs and violence were not part of the scene.

Yes, I read about assaults and home invasions in the newspapers. I'm aware of robberies and random shootings. These events generally happen at times and at places that don't match my life pattern.

My primary concerns are about strokes, heart attacks and auto accidents, so I take care of myself and drive defensively; my vehicle is a large SUV; I'm served by a cardiologist, a urologist, and an internal medicine specialist. The risk of these threats, for me, has far, far greater probability than an attack requiring self defense measures.

My philosophy isn't better or smarter, just different. I don't think one philosophy is necessarily superior to another; a cookie cutter just doesn't work for self defense. In my opinion, one's philosophy should be based on a thoughtful analysis of risks and priorities. In my case, good health and safety on the road top the priority list.
If I drank I'd drink two beers to this post!

Great post sir.

- G
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:44   #92
Bruce M
Senior Member
 
Bruce M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S FL
Posts: 20,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
I'm satisfied that you and Gallium are sincere in your carry philosophy, but you two are on the opposite end of the spectrum from me (always prepared on one end vs. selectively prepared on the other).

As I recall j6, you have had some dangerous personal circumstances to cope with which helped shape your perspective on the need to carry. That's how life works; our experiences and observations are cues that condition how we respond to our surroundings. Carrying is a defense mechanism.

You might say I've led a charmed life because I have never been confronted with a personal threat. My record spans 70+ years, so I've cruised for a long time without incident. I was raised in a small, safe, community surrounded by friends and neighbors who behaved themselves. I worked 40 years in a professional environment where excessive booze, drugs and violence were not part of the scene.

Yes, I read about assaults and home invasions in the newspapers. I'm aware of robberies and random shootings. These events generally happen at times and at places that don't match my life pattern.

My primary concerns are about strokes, heart attacks and auto accidents, so I take care of myself and drive defensively; my vehicle is a large SUV; I'm served by a cardiologist, a urologist, and an internal medicine specialist. The risk of these threats, for me, has far, far greater probability than an attack requiring self defense measures.

My philosophy isn't better or smarter, just different. I don't think one philosophy is necessarily superior to another; a cookie cutter just doesn't work for self defense. In my opinion, one's philosophy should be based on a thoughtful analysis of risks and priorities. In my case, good health and safety on the road top the priority list.
Agreed a great post. Having been exposed to a wide variety of assaults, shootings, home invasions, and robberies over the years I feel absolutely safe in my decision that in some residences (about any I would socialize in) I feel absolutely no need to carry a gun based on the people there, their experience, security measures they have taken, and the availability of a gun in the house. If I felt insecure enough in my own house or in someone else's house, if I felt that the security measures and/or people present made it necessary to have a gun on at the dinner table, I would not eat there.
__________________
Bruce
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:55   #93
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick
 
redbaron007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southwest Missouri
Posts: 6,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
.....snip....

My philosophy isn't better or smarter, just different. I don't think one philosophy is necessarily superior to another; a cookie cutter just doesn't work for self defense. In my opinion, one's philosophy should be based on a thoughtful analysis of risks and priorities. In my case, good health and safety on the road top the priority list.
This paragraph is a great summation (the rest of the post was good too. ) The underlined is spot on!




red
__________________
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632


R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 21:55   #94
Med. Cheese
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4
I drank a beer and a shot of Jameson to PhotoFeller's post.

And like others, I would and do carry as much as possible. In the case of someone else's home, I guess I'd rather ask forgiveness than permission if, and that's a big if, I was made.

Cheers from Wisconsin.

Last edited by Med. Cheese; 10-02-2012 at 22:06.. Reason: Added
Med. Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 22:07   #95
Gun Shark
Senior Member
 
Gun Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,920
Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark


Family events at where my cousins will be when in a private dwelling, I usually don't. Parents aren't exactly anti gun, just don't want them around their children(under 10). Whether I agree with it or not doesn't matter. The last thing I need is them asking "What's that?" when hugging me or sitting next to me watching TV. I don't have a pocket gun and can't afford to get one, so for now it is pretty much no, that said if it's a spur of the moment event, I don't leave it in the car. Everywhere else that is legal, yes I do.
__________________
It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." --Thomas Jefferson

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
Gun Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 23:22   #96
Cali-Glock
Mountain Man
 
Cali-Glock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: California Sierra Mnts
Posts: 11,765
Absolutely.
__________________
1 Corinthians 2:2
I may be from Cali, but I ain't no yankee!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds
Cali-Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:49   #97
Rex G
Senior Member
 
Rex G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SE TX
Posts: 1,231
Send a message via AIM to Rex G
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
So say you are invited to a family dinner, a dinner at your boss' place, or lunch with friends that aren't really close. Do you carry?
Well, yes! (Just saying "yes" was too short of a reply for system to accept.)
Rex G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 19:20   #98
SDGlock23
Glockoholic
 
SDGlock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of Forgetfulness
Posts: 7,489
I always carry something, my pocket gun at the very least which is my Kahr CM40 with extra 6rd mag, need another spare mag.
__________________
"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 19:36   #99
jaws48
Senior Member
 
jaws48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,160
Absolutely...I carry everywhere it is legal to carry. There is no way to anticipate where you might need a side arm.
__________________
"Dogs bark and the caravan moves on."
jaws48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 19:57   #100
westy39
Member
 
westy39's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Montana
Posts: 53
Yes, just my thoughts from the Big Sky Country. Stay safe all and the best to you and yours.
westy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 19:40.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,454
455 Members
999 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42