GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-30-2012, 20:24   #26
RJ's Guns

I am right handed and my left eye is dominate. I shoot right handed because my fine motor skills (i.e. the coordination of small muscle movements, which occur in body parts such as the fingers) are better in my right hand, which affects grip and trigger control. I can compensate for shooting with my non-dominate eye (right eye) easier and better than I can compensate for the decreased fine motor skills that affect my grip and trigger control when I shoot with my non-dominate left hand.

I have spent countless hours and literally tens of thousands of rounds (probably much more than that, if the truth be known) trying to shoot with my left hand, as well as I can with my right hand, all to no avail.

In addition, you may need to adjust the ocular focus on the scope for his right eye as that could be a reason why he feels more comfortable shooting left handed.

Overall, for numerous reasons, I am thankful that I was taught to shoot all firearms right handed.
RJ

Last edited by RJ's Guns; 09-30-2012 at 20:25..
RJ's Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:55   #27
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ's Guns View Post
I am right handed and my left eye is dominate. I shoot right handed...
There is no correlation between hand dominance and what shoulder you shoot a rifle from.
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:35   #28
RJ's Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
There is no correlation between hand dominance and what shoulder you shoot a rifle from.
Am I to understand then, that trigger control and fine motor skills are unimportant when firing a rifle? That has not been my experience.

RJ

Last edited by RJ's Guns; 10-01-2012 at 12:55..
RJ's Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 14:12   #29
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Am I to understand then, that trigger control and fine motor skills are unimportant when firing a rifle? That has not been my experience.

[SIZE=3]
You have to put the dominant eye behind the sights or optic.

That's all there is to it.
Old 10-01-2012, 15:16   #30
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2340 View Post
Here's the dilemma and my question -

He CLAIMS if he shoulders the gun as a LEFTY (again, he IS right handed) that he then CAN see through the scope (???). Plus he seems to have more trouble just trying to shoulder the gun right handed w/ no scope on it, and can do it right every time left handed?

Is this OK, or should I try and break him now and make him do it right handed? :(
He's cross-dominant. Very common problem. Some cross dominant shooters shoot a handgun right handed and a long gun left handed.

That is pretty basic shooting knowledge. If you don't know that, have you considered getting them training from somebody who does?

Quote:

RJ
You should be able to control the trigger with either hand. One more example of a basic shooting skill people here seem to have missed.

Last edited by Bren; 10-01-2012 at 15:18..
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 15:38   #31
glock_19guy1983

When I was growing up my 4h shooting coach would always "retrain" the cross dominance shooter's eye to his dominant hand. If you are right handed but left eye dominant use an eye patch on the left eye and practice practice practice and vice versa with a left/right dominance person. His theory was its alot easier to retrain an eye than retrain a hand. He trained some mighty fine match shooters that way.
"Our situation illustrates the American idea that governments rest on the consent of the governed, and that it is the right of the people to alter or abolish them whenever they become destructive of the ends for which they were established."
glock_19guy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 15:58   #32
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_19guy1983 View Post
When I was growing up my 4h shooting coach would always "retrain" the cross dominance shooter's eye to his dominant hand. If you are right handed but left eye dominant use an eye patch on the left eye and practice practice practice and vice versa with a left/right dominance person. His theory was its alot easier to retrain an eye than retrain a hand. He trained some mighty fine match shooters that way.
Your coach was a moron.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 16:03   #33
ak103k

Quote:
Your coach was a moron.
Why? Because you never tried it?

Zeitgeist - Addendum
ak103k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 16:08   #34
vafish

Quote:

RJ
Some of my finest junior shooters have been right handed, left eye dominant shooting left handed.

Old 10-01-2012, 16:13   #35
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak103k View Post
No because I coach 3 junior rifle programs with over 100 kids in them every year.

My teams are routinely the top ranked teams in NRA competitions every year. I send more kids to the USA shooting junior Olympics in Colorado springs every year than any other team.

I currently have 11 of my former shooters on collegiate rifle teams with rifle shooting scholarships.

Kids and former kids from my club held over 120 NRA national records last time I counted.

In May if this year the kid who won the world junior 3p small bore championship was one of mine.

What is your experience teaching kids to shoot?

Last edited by vafish; 10-01-2012 at 16:16..
Old 10-01-2012, 16:14   #36
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
You can't "retrain" eye dominance. It is part of the way your brain is wired. Maybe a neurosurgeon could pull it off.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 16:20   #37
vafish

I always start a cross dominant shooter out shooting with the dominant eye.

If for some reason the can not shoot that way (very rare) I will have them shoot from their dominant hand side and will simply occuled the dominant eye with a piece of a scotch tape on the shooting glasses.

I would never put a patch over a kids eye. The difference in lighting will cause eye strain and you won't retrain the eye anyways.

In target rifle shooting it won't matter too much, but for hunting, shotgun shooting or action rifle shooting they will be at a disadvantage with the occluded eye.

Last edited by vafish; 10-01-2012 at 16:23..
Old 10-01-2012, 16:24   #38
WiskyT
Malcontent

double post

Last edited by WiskyT; 10-01-2012 at 16:27..
Old 10-01-2012, 16:31   #39
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
double post
Sure you can.

Nicholas Cage did it in the movie Thunderbirds by driving around the installation with a pair of panties over his head.

Three laps around the flightline and he was done!
Old 10-01-2012, 16:43   #40
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Sure you can.

Nicholas Cage did it in the movie Thunderbirds by driving around the installation with a pair of panties over his head.

I should add:

1) This was in response to WiskyT's above post.

2) I'm totally kidding.

3) It is a rare blessing not many people enjoy to be cross dominant- he will drive the gun better and transition to pistol faster than any of his peers. His mag changes will be incredible!!! (look out!)
Old 10-01-2012, 16:44   #41
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Sure you can.

Next Wednesday I'll be on the line working with new club prospects. Invariably I get a shooter with eye dominance issues. One question, clean panties or should I grab a pair from the hamper?

Old 10-01-2012, 16:45   #42
ak103k

Ive taught my share of kids on everything from single shot .22's to full autos. My son was the only one with the dominance issue though. I dealt with it like glock_19guy1983's coach, not with a patch, but with tape on the left lens of his glasses, and had good results doing so. To this day, he shoots right handed using his right eye, and shoots everything from target to sporting clays and running/flying game without issue.

As I said earlier, I didnt want to handicap him with limited guns or dealing with trying to work and shoot guns left handed with guns made for right hand shooters, as 99.9% of the guns and accessories made are. He was very young when he learned, and learned very quickly to deal with with it.

Sort of related here, I dont know how old most here are, but if youve been around awhile, and been exposed to a number of the different shooting disciplines, you may remember the Paris Theodore "Quell" system. It uses the non dominant eye (left eye for right handed shooters) and is very effective once you understand it and shoot with it awhile. When done properly, it gives an instant sight picture with no thought or confusion and offers almost rife like precision with a handgun.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
Old 10-01-2012, 16:52   #43
ak103k

Quote:
In target rifle shooting it won't matter too much, but for hunting, shotgun shooting or action rifle shooting they will be at a disadvantage with the occluded eye.
That hasnt been the case for my son. He seems to have no troubles with moving targets, or targets that present themselves quickly, requiring snap shots.

Then again, he and his brother have been shooting constantly since they were 4, and not just here and there. By 10, they each probably had more rounds downrange than most adults do in a lifetime.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
Old 10-01-2012, 16:56   #44
KalashniKEV

I can't believe we're having this discussion on a gun forum.

You shoot with your dominant eye behind the sight... anything else is just wrong.
Old 10-01-2012, 17:02   #45
ak103k

Quote:
You shoot with your dominant eye behind the sight... anything else is just wrong.
Is this a "its wrong because I cant do it" sorta thing, or something else?

Zeitgeist - Addendum
Old 10-01-2012, 17:07   #46
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Is this a "its wrong because I cant do it" sorta thing, or something else?
It's improper technique.
Old 10-01-2012, 17:14   #47
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
It's improper technique.
It's like using your left foot for the brake while driving. You just can't convince some people that it is wrong.

Old 10-01-2012, 17:17   #48
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
That hasnt been the case for my son. He seems to have no troubles with moving targets, or targets that present themselves quickly, requiring snap shots.

Then again, he and his brother have been shooting constantly since they were 4, and not just here and there. By 10, they each probably had more rounds downrange than most adults do in a lifetime.
You do realize that you don't have stereo vision when you only use one eye? That means no depth perception. Also, you are training your sons to shoot in a way that will never be available to them if they are on a two-way range.

Old 10-01-2012, 17:19   #49
ak103k

Quote:
It's improper technique.
If it works, how is it improper?

There are obviously different schools of thought on just about everything. This is no different. It also obviously works, so it cant be "wrong".

The advantages to me, like not being limited in my choice of weapons and in some respect, gear, is a big issue. Being able to shoot well doing what you say is improper, pretty much nullifies that issue.

If it works for you, either way, whats it matter? Try as many different things as you can and do what works best for you. The fact that you dont agree with it, doesnt mean it doesnt work for someone else.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
Old 10-01-2012, 17:26   #50
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
If it works, how is it improper?

There are obviously different schools of thought on just about everything. This is no different. It also obviously works, so it cant be "wrong".

The advantages to me, like not being limited in my choice of weapons and in some respect, gear, is a big issue. Being able to shoot well doing what you say is improper, pretty much nullifies that issue.

If it works for you, either way, whats it matter? Try as many different things as you can and do what works best for you. The fact that you dont agree with it, doesnt mean it doesnt work for someone else.
Certainly it can be wrong. Take my left foot braking example. Lots of people do it and it's flat out wrong. Most motorcycle riders ride wrong. Just because they manage to survive isn't proof that their way is not wrong.

And how are you limited by weapons choices? Millions of GI's have shot right-handed rifles and pistols for literally centuries without issue.