Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-30-2012, 17:01   #21
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2340 View Post
Need some help / advice here to see what is the RIGHT way to do this -

Here's the dilemma and my question -

He CLAIMS if he shoulders the gun as a LEFTY (again, he IS right handed) that he then CAN see through the scope (???). Plus he seems to have more trouble just trying to shoulder the gun right handed w/ no scope on it, and can do it right every time left handed?

Is this OK, or should I try and break him now and make him do it right handed? :(

Please help advise, thanks -
He's right handed but left eye dominant. There's an easy test to verify this. Look up it because the it takes longer to describe the test procedure than to actually do it.

(Or if you have a monocular or even an old style camera that has a view finder, ask him to look through it. He'll naturally use his dominant eye to look through the monocular or view finder. Then you'll know for sure).

I'm also right handed but left eye dominant. For long guns, I've always shot left handed (ie: used left shoulder). Yeah, you have to get guns geared towards lefties. That's why I prefer semi-autos and shotguns where the safety is ambidextrous. For example, that why I prefer the Mossberg 500 shotguns because the safety is on the tang (thumb operated).

For handguns, the pistol/revolver is held right handed. But when using the sights, my head tilts to the right, so that the left (dominant eye) is actually sighting in the gun.

And don't worry. I started shooting since 7 or 8 y.o., some 40+ years ago.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 09-30-2012 at 17:07..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 18:05   #22
ithaca_deerslayer

My wife is right handed, left eye dominant.

Handgun
right hand, left eye.

Rifle
left hand, left shoulder, left eye.

Bow
left hand on string, right hand on bow, left eye.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 18:14   #23
ipscshooter
Mostly IDPA now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drilled View Post
Whatever is natural for your boy.
From personal experience I think this is best.

I'm screwed up like FireForged. A little of this, a little of that. Ambidextrous on some things.

I am left eye dominate. Shoot pistol right and rifle left.

I still remember my father trying to insist I use my right hand to use a fork when I was very young just learning to feed myself. My mother was of the "let him do what's natural" school of thought. Not huge arguments, but I remember the discussions. I remember this many years later. Not sure you would want your sons to carry that around. I'm not scarred by it, but I do remember.

I have found that my tendency is to do power things better using the right (throw, golf, etc.) and detail things (shoot pool, write, archery) left.

A short story on the archery. I had not had much of an opportunity to shoot a bow (other than a toy when very young) until I was in my mid 20's, I tried shooting right handed and it took some time for me to figure out why I really was bad at it. Frustration, perhaps, lead me try it lefty, and WOW, what a difference. If one is having trouble a switch to the other side may work.
NRA Life,USPSA Life,IDPA Member
ipscshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 19:47   #24
garya1961

I'm right handed and only shoot left handed. It started when I got my first BB gun 45 years ago and it's the way I shoot today. I never new it until I got a double barrel shotgun from and uncle and he was watching me shoot. He said why are you shooting left handed and I said what do you mean left handed.
Let the kid shoot the way he wants too.

Last edited by garya1961; 09-30-2012 at 19:48..
garya1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 19:59   #25
vafish

Quote:
This seemed the easiest to have him do, as we are not able to get to the range today.

Looks like this is dead on and as the others said, he's right handed and left eye dominate, as I tested it against his brother and then had someone check me (my other son and I both are right handed and shoot w/ the right eye).

We've still got a LOT to cover, but when this one thing showed up right in the beginning it kind of freaked me out as I was not sure what was right / to do. A HUGE thank you to all who relied w/ advice, I appreciate it.

Now next question, Mr. righty who wants to shoot long gun lefty -

He seems to favor holding a toy pistol (for demo purposes only at this point) when being shown how to hold it properly right handed. When he tries to do it left handed instead, he seems not able to put it all together?

Is it also possible that he would shoot a long gun lefty and a handgun righty, being right handed and left eye dominate?

He's too small to try a handgun yet, and again I want to ease into all of this, but I am also looking down the road too.

Thanks again to all -

Now I have to go start looking for some left handed long guns for one of them. At least now there will be no fighting over who's gun is who's.....................
One of my sons is cross dominant. Right Handed, Left Eye Dominant.

When I started him shooting rifles he learned to shoot left handed, shotguns and bows left handed as well. Handguns he shoots right handed and simply moves the gun in front of his dominant eye.

He is almost 20 years old and shoots just fine this way.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 20:24   #26
RJ's Guns

I am right handed and my left eye is dominate. I shoot right handed because my fine motor skills (i.e. the coordination of small muscle movements, which occur in body parts such as the fingers) are better in my right hand, which affects grip and trigger control. I can compensate for shooting with my non-dominate eye (right eye) easier and better than I can compensate for the decreased fine motor skills that affect my grip and trigger control when I shoot with my non-dominate left hand.

I have spent countless hours and literally tens of thousands of rounds (probably much more than that, if the truth be known) trying to shoot with my left hand, as well as I can with my right hand, all to no avail.

In addition, you may need to adjust the ocular focus on the scope for his right eye as that could be a reason why he feels more comfortable shooting left handed.

Overall, for numerous reasons, I am thankful that I was taught to shoot all firearms right handed.
RJ

Last edited by RJ's Guns; 09-30-2012 at 20:25..
RJ's Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:55   #27
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ's Guns View Post
I am right handed and my left eye is dominate. I shoot right handed...
There is no correlation between hand dominance and what shoulder you shoot a rifle from.
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:35   #28
RJ's Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
There is no correlation between hand dominance and what shoulder you shoot a rifle from.
Am I to understand then, that trigger control and fine motor skills are unimportant when firing a rifle? That has not been my experience.

RJ

Last edited by RJ's Guns; 10-01-2012 at 12:55..
RJ's Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 14:12   #29
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Am I to understand then, that trigger control and fine motor skills are unimportant when firing a rifle? That has not been my experience.

[SIZE=3]
You have to put the dominant eye behind the sights or optic.

That's all there is to it.
Old 10-01-2012, 15:16   #30
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Here's the dilemma and my question -

He CLAIMS if he shoulders the gun as a LEFTY (again, he IS right handed) that he then CAN see through the scope (???). Plus he seems to have more trouble just trying to shoulder the gun right handed w/ no scope on it, and can do it right every time left handed?

Is this OK, or should I try and break him now and make him do it right handed? :(
He's cross-dominant. Very common problem. Some cross dominant shooters shoot a handgun right handed and a long gun left handed.

That is pretty basic shooting knowledge. If you don't know that, have you considered getting them training from somebody who does?

Quote:

RJ
You should be able to control the trigger with either hand. One more example of a basic shooting skill people here seem to have missed.

Last edited by Bren; 10-01-2012 at 15:18..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 15:38   #31
glock_19guy1983

When I was growing up my 4h shooting coach would always "retrain" the cross dominance shooter's eye to his dominant hand. If you are right handed but left eye dominant use an eye patch on the left eye and practice practice practice and vice versa with a left/right dominance person. His theory was its alot easier to retrain an eye than retrain a hand. He trained some mighty fine match shooters that way.
"Our situation illustrates the American idea that governments rest on the consent of the governed, and that it is the right of the people to alter or abolish them whenever they become destructive of the ends for which they were established."
glock_19guy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 15:58   #32
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_19guy1983 View Post
When I was growing up my 4h shooting coach would always "retrain" the cross dominance shooter's eye to his dominant hand. If you are right handed but left eye dominant use an eye patch on the left eye and practice practice practice and vice versa with a left/right dominance person. His theory was its alot easier to retrain an eye than retrain a hand. He trained some mighty fine match shooters that way.
Your coach was a moron.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 10-01-2012, 16:03   #33
ak103k

Quote:
Your coach was a moron.
Why? Because you never tried it?

Zeitgeist - Addendum
ak103k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 16:08   #34
vafish

Quote:

RJ
Some of my finest junior shooters have been right handed, left eye dominant shooting left handed.

Old 10-01-2012, 16:13   #35
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak103k View Post
No because I coach 3 junior rifle programs with over 100 kids in them every year.

My teams are routinely the top ranked teams in NRA competitions every year. I send more kids to the USA shooting junior Olympics in Colorado springs every year than any other team.

I currently have 11 of my former shooters on collegiate rifle teams with rifle shooting scholarships.

Kids and former kids from my club held over 120 NRA national records last time I counted.

In May if this year the kid who won the world junior 3p small bore championship was one of mine.

What is your experience teaching kids to shoot?

Last edited by vafish; 10-01-2012 at 16:16..
Old 10-01-2012, 16:14   #36
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak103k View Post
You can't "retrain" eye dominance. It is part of the way your brain is wired. Maybe a neurosurgeon could pull it off.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 16:20   #37
vafish

I always start a cross dominant shooter out shooting with the dominant eye.

If for some reason the can not shoot that way (very rare) I will have them shoot from their dominant hand side and will simply occuled the dominant eye with a piece of a scotch tape on the shooting glasses.

I would never put a patch over a kids eye. The difference in lighting will cause eye strain and you won't retrain the eye anyways.

In target rifle shooting it won't matter too much, but for hunting, shotgun shooting or action rifle shooting they will be at a disadvantage with the occluded eye.

Last edited by vafish; 10-01-2012 at 16:23..
Old 10-01-2012, 16:24   #38
WiskyT
Malcontent

double post

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay

Last edited by WiskyT; 10-01-2012 at 16:27..
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 16:31   #39
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
double post
Sure you can.

Nicholas Cage did it in the movie Thunderbirds by driving around the installation with a pair of panties over his head.

Three laps around the flightline and he was done!
Old 10-01-2012, 16:43   #40
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
Sure you can.

Nicholas Cage did it in the movie Thunderbirds by driving around the installation with a pair of panties over his head.

Three laps around the flightline and he was done!
I should add:

1) This was in response to WiskyT's above post.

2) I'm totally kidding.

3) It is a rare blessing not many people enjoy to be cross dominant- he will drive the gun better and transition to pistol faster than any of his peers. His mag changes will be incredible!!! (look out!)