Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:28   #51
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Armed criminals do not carry based upon "social" occasion and neither do I.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:04   #52
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFla27 View Post
Very soon after they all got into the house (and shut the door), those guys were at the front door trying to get in. After knocking and trying to get someone inside to open the door, at least one of those guys began shooting through the door. My friend was hit, twice I believe.
Well...damn!

I have to keep reminding myself that vigilance is just as important as the ammo I carry in my gun.

The most likely reason for having a concealed weapon is to defend oneself against a two-legged predator. They tend to ambush hunt, and use the element of surprise to their advantage. Training to spot potential trouble and react to it when needed is something I need to do more of.

I do fall into the trap of thinking that my gun protects me, when the reality is that my gun is tool, not a talisman.

Thanks for posting your friend's unfortunate incident. It can serve as lesson for all of us.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:48   #53
Snowsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
Which are the least likely situations in which you'll need to carry.

Except maybe in grizzly country., and then my pocket pistol won't do me much good.
really?
Snowsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:54   #54
beatcop

The one time I thought about it at length...family xmas party, I didn't. A delinquent youth got upset and tried to find a handgun to use at the other houselhold...talk about a bad situation. Spouse and I left while kid was rumaging in his parents room for the colt mustang. Merry bleeping Christmas....have not been there or spoken in 8 years.

Lesson is: Don't invite stupid into your life. I had clues the kid was a mutant, but still went...for the "family".

Last edited by beatcop; 09-30-2012 at 06:55..
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:03   #55
Snowsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcop View Post

Lesson is: Don't invite stupid into your life. I had clues the kid was a mutant, but still went...for the "family".
Agreed. This and situational awareness go a long way.
Snowsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:49   #56
ChicagoZman

Anytime I'm in or out of the house except in bed (on the dresser), in the shower (on the bathroom counter) or in the People's Republic of Illinois (unloaded and cased in the trunk of the car).
Glocks: 17, 17L, 22, 22C, 23, 24C, 27, 34
Other Handguns: Several
ChicagoZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:15   #57
jamaicanj

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
Everywhere it's legal to do so.
Agreed
Phillipians 4:13
Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
Glock Certified Armorer & GSSF Member
jamaicanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:32   #58
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
I have been going to places where it wasn't even a question of whether I might need a gun but that a gun was going to be in my hand(s) as I get out of the car for more than three decades now.

I agree that if it is not mandated one should not go to places where one thinks one might need a gun. In a social setting or for that matter if I elect to go out somewhere for dinner by myself, I have no complete control over who else may enter a business after I am there. However there is a substantial difference in the potential quality of people one may run into in places to which the public is invited and in private homes with people who choose their friends wisely.
There are no guarantees you won't need that gun anywhere you go. That is the point I'm making. If you have to anticipate needing a gun when you go somewhere, why in the world would you go there? I think we're on the same page with that when you say you wouldn't go to a family gathering if you thought you needed to bring your gun. My concern isn't with the family event itself or being around friends/family, but what about traveling to get there? I'm a firm believer in having a gun and never needing it. I can't predict what's going to happen when I go somewhere, so I prefer to be prepared.

I've also found that when you start making decisions as to when you need your gun, you start making excuses why you won't need it. Then it becomes a slippery slope and you start carrying less and less. I don't want to start down that path until I get to the point where I don't carry more than I carry.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:45   #59
MadMonkey
Spershul Furces

Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey
I carry everywhere, and my family knows that I do. They also know that if they request that I remove my gun or leave it at home, I'm leaving or not showing up in the first place. I try not to compromise. Luckily my family is level-headed enough that all of them are okay with firearms and most have their own.

I also ask permission to OC (when I'm OWB and wearing a cover garment like a jacket in cold weather) at friend's houses and haven't been turned down yet... the majority of my friends are gun-friendly though.

I don't carry based on the "likelihood" of needing a gun. You never know, and it's just about impossible to guess when you'll need one unless your only travel is between a secure bunker and a gang hideout.

Last edited by MadMonkey; 09-30-2012 at 12:46..
MadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 13:15   #60
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
So say you are invited to a family dinner, a dinner at your boss' place, or lunch with friends that aren't really close. Do you carry?
Always. If the people are uncomfortable with guns where I'm going I'll try to minimize the risk of them noticing when hugging me or looking at me sitting down by carrying a pocket pistol instead of IWB, but its always there.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 14:40   #61
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa View Post
..., but what about traveling to get there? .
I'd be armed if I had to travel to get there. But not when I go inside.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 15:06   #62
xmanhockey7

Hell yes. Carried concealed last night at my gfs house with her family for dinner.
Old 09-30-2012, 15:51   #63
frizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
Sure, even if you don't need it at the party you need to get to the party. Bad stuff happens everywhere and anywhere anymore. You just never know. But you'll probably never need it, so if it makes you feel uncomfortable, leave it at home, you'll probably be just fine either way.
Where do robberies happen? Often, on your way to your car. They don't want to pull a gun to get your Bert's Chili while you are eating in the Waffle House. They wait in the parking lot and try to surprise you there.

As for a social event at someone's home, robbing people while they're walking to or from a house is an increasingly popular thug activity.
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 16:14   #64
frizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
I don't carry based on the "likelihood" of needing a gun. You never know, and it's just about impossible to guess when you'll need one unless your only travel is between a secure bunker and a gang hideout.
While this depends on the type of area you are in, I would bet that the probability of needing a gun during any given stroll to or from your car is a lot less likely than having a car wreck during any given car trip.

I think I read that the probability of wrecking when you drive from point A to point B (city to city, or home to grocery store/work/barber) is something like 1/20,000 or so. Very low odds. So low that it is practically zero when you drive a mile to get some milk and cereal; needing a gun on a particular walk is much low, but still, practically zero.

Still, I wear my seatbelt EVERYTIME, no matter how short the trip.
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 17:35   #65
poodleplumber

I have met all legal requirements to carry a concealed handgun. There is no provision in the law that I need anyone else's permission, nor do I have to inform anyone that I am carrying, and it will remain well concealed unless it is needed in the direst of emergencies. That kind of settles it for me.

As far as not needing it based on the company I keep, one can never be entirely certain that one is completely in charge of what company one will actually keep. The homes of friends are reasonably secure, but not more secure than mine, and I obviously have handguns available there.
poodleplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 18:52   #66
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Always.

I'm always armed where I'm legally permitted to be. I also avoid all the places that I'm not permitted to be armed unless I have no choice.
Old 09-30-2012, 19:28   #67
Pwhfirefighter

I carry everywhere except work(city policy) and the 4 places state law says I can't: LEO offices, jail/detention facilities, courtrooms with court in session, and places of nuisance. Fed property is a given. Other than that, I conceal carry. That's the point of conceal carry, no one knows.
Pwhfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 21:14   #68
Tank44
Tank44

Absolutely! Concealed means concealed.
Sometimes I sit and think. Sometimes I just sit.
Tank44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 22:49   #69
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwhfirefighter View Post
I carry everywhere except work(city policy) and the 4 places state law says I can't: LEO offices, jail/detention facilities, courtrooms with court in session, and places of nuisance. Fed property is a given. Other than that, I conceal carry. That's the point of conceal carry, no one knows.
It's cool when you retire and are no longer under employee rules about carrying at your former workplace.
Old 09-30-2012, 23:09   #70
PhotoFeller

Never for social occasions. Would if I thought it might be needed, but my friends and business associates just don't pose a risk.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 09-30-2012 at 23:21..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:45   #71
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
Never for social occasions. Would if I thought it might be needed, but my friends and business associates just don't pose a risk.

Hopefully none of your friends or associates ever goes thru an ugly separation and the spouse decides to go nutso at one of those gatherings.

There was a video on here of a couple of guys at a social gathering where they were robbed by someone from the outside.

And while I agree with you that I don't expect trouble at social gatherings from my friends and business associates, I also don't suspend my life/health/umbrella/auto insurance when I go on their property, nor do I choose to not wear my seat belt when I am in their vehicles.

Crazy analogy yes. Hopefully you get that very small nugget of a point...
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:27   #72
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
So say you are invited to a family dinner, a dinner at your boss' place, or lunch with friends that aren't really close. Do you carry?
Of course, why wouldn't I?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:52   #73
magiaaron
Low Speed Ops

I carry all the time. The only times I'm not carrying are when I'm naked. And even then, it's within reach.

-magiaaron
magiaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:56   #74
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
Hopefully none of your friends or associates ever goes thru an ugly separation and the spouse decides to go nutso at one of those gatherings.

There was a video on here of a couple of guys at a social gathering where they were robbed by someone from the outside.

And while I agree with you that I don't expect trouble at social gatherings from my friends and business associates, I also don't suspend my life/health/umbrella/auto insurance when I go on their property, nor do I choose to not wear my seat belt when I am in their vehicles.

Crazy analogy yes. Hopefully you get that very small nugget of a point...
I understand your point of view, and don't quarrel with it. I just don't allow the fear (concern, possibility, or whatever one might call the probability of attack) to burden my daily outlook on life, unless I plan to be in unfamiliar surroundings.

My family has been raised and moved on. I usually travel solo, even doing day-to-day errands. I live and travel in a very low crime area. Our friends, family and colleagues are stable, predictable and reliable; none of these folks carry, as far as I know. Thus, I believe my chance of being attacked is too low to warrant concern; if something terrible goes down because I'm not prepared, my bad.

I'm not being cavalier. In my case, I believe my behavior is perfectly realistic.
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:20   #75
B.Reid

Heck, I was armed during my wedding vows and reception.

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote