Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-30-2012, 21:24   #1
dabigguns357

lets talk motorcycles

My wife and I have been talking about buying 2 motorcycles,one for each one of us.I have mine picked out but i haven't got a clue about hers.

I've owned 2 in the past but she has never been on one.So how do I go about getting her in some classes or something to help her get road ready(we have till spring).

A friend has a 2009 Honda rebel 250 for sale like the one in the pic.My question is this,wouldn't something this little be a bit small for highway or just right for her and her small size.

Any advice would be great before I spend 2,000 on a bike she may or may not be able to handle.

The Okie Corral
The Okie Corral
dabigguns357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 21:31   #2
Glock&KimberLady
Booyah!

A start for classes...

http://www.learn2ride.com/

And/or

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...s/m_course.asp

Can't help you with selection as I'm a dirtbike rider. I can say that weight (and shifting it back and forth, especially when stopped) along with height are important to us wimmins. I had far less trouble moving around my 230 than my 250...and thought I'd have heart failure every time I stopped on a 650 dual sport and had to sidesaddle the bike just to keep from dropping it.

Last edited by Glock&KimberLady; 09-30-2012 at 21:32..
Glock&KimberLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 21:39   #3
dabigguns357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock&KimberLady View Post
A start for classes...

http://www.learn2ride.com/

And/or

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...s/m_course.asp

Can't help you with selection as I'm a dirtbike rider. I can say that weight (and shifting it back and forth, especially when stopped) along with height are important to us wimmins. I had far less trouble moving around my 230 than my 250...and thought I'd have heart failure every time I stopped on a 650 dual sport and had to sidesaddle the bike just to keep from dropping it.
Good reading for her.

So how hard would it be for someone like her to learn,at age 37 she hasn't ever been on one.

I don't know who is going to need more of a nerve pill,her or I
Old 09-30-2012, 21:55   #4
Jim B in CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigguns357 View Post
...she has never been on one.So how do I go about getting her in some classes or something to help her get road ready...
Get her a dirt bike and have her learn to ride on that before she ever ventures out on the street.
Jim B in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 22:06   #5
Happypuppy

Start small there is a huge market for small used bikes and they are easy to sell. Too big of a bike scares new riders and are really heavy for them to get started in.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon
Happypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 22:15   #6
gumpmonkey

The old rule of thumb in the 70's was don't ride anything so heavy you can't pick it up by yourself. - Jp
Old 09-30-2012, 22:17   #7
rayetter

Send a message via Yahoo to rayetter
A motorcycle safety course will provide a bike and instruction. They start out very slow, and they are patient and helpful folks. I bought my wife a 250 virago after she completed her course. She wanted a bigger bike in less than two months. Best bet is the course, if she decides it isnt for her, then you arent out 2 grand and a bike you wont ride. hope this helps. Keep the shiny side up.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 09-30-2012, 22:20   #8
cdog533
Zombie Killer

Yeah, have her take a local MSF class and then get her something a little bigger, like a 500 or a 600.
Old 09-30-2012, 22:20   #9
Jim B in CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpmonkey View Post
The old rule of thumb in the 70's was don't ride anything so heavy you can't pick it up by yourself. - Jp
I think that's still a good idea in 2012.
Jim B in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 22:24   #10
Halojumper

Send a message via AIM to Halojumper Send a message via Yahoo to Halojumper
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpmonkey View Post
Even a small girl can "pick up" a full dress Harley.

Hint: it's in the technique, not the strength.
Halojumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 22:26   #11
LippCJ7

The 250 rebel is a great entry level bike, you may even find the learn to ride classes I hope you enter your wife in use the rebels or something very close to it, its perfect for small framed people up to a 5'5" or so. They are very forgiving and dependable, when she is ready to upgrade sell it for what you have in it kind of bike, and that is what I think is exactly what will happen, she will want to upgrade.

I can't say I agree with getting her a dirt bike, for a guy sure but not for a woman who will most likely go into oncoming traffic before she willingly tackles dirt on or off the road.

Any learn to ride class with driving as well as classroom should be in order, ABATE and MSF courses are available all over, I would recommend you take it as well if you have not yet as it will most likely decrease your insurance premium.

Be prepared that she may not like riding her own bike though, I wanted my wife to have her own since I am a little more aggressive rider and I get tired of her screaming to SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW DOOOOOOOOOWWWWNNNNN, but it was of no use, now she only whines when I drag the floorboards...

I mean seriously my wife is a better passenger on the R1, I think because she is scared to the point of being breathless....

http://www.transportation.wv.gov/com...cleSafety.aspx

another link that may help.

Good luck!

Last edited by LippCJ7; 09-30-2012 at 22:29..
LippCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 22:29   #12
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

I wouldn't get a Rebel. You will outgrow that bike before you make the first payment.
Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 22:40   #13
Trapped_in_Kali

Have her do the MSF course (or what ever the equivalent is in WV). In most states when you pass that you only need to do the written part of the test to get your motorcycle license.
Once she has passed that and gotten her license go to various dealers and have her find which models she is comfortable on (seat height etc). The International Motorcycle show season is starting in a month (I don't know how close to you they will be) and is a great place to sit on lots of bikes and they have test rides for licensed riders.
Trapped_in_Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 22:48   #14
costanza187
I like Macs

In the 250 cruisers race, you might consider the Yamaha V-Star 250. They look a lot better than the Rebels.

Yes I owned one of those myself. I rode it around for a while, and just decided I'd rather have a car.

250's are not as easy to sell as you might think (around here at least). I thought I got it for a sweet deal, it was below book. It was a 2008 in 2010 with I am thinking about 4k miles. I paid $2100 for it. I ended up selling it for that exact same price (and felt LUCKY to get it). I think the book value was up around $2500. It took me about 4 months to sell it, I first listed it at $2400, and not so much as an inquiry, I dropped it down to $2100 and it sold. I have seen similar bikes on craigslist... and still there a year later. Maybe the market for motorcycles is pretty bleak in general, so it might not be limited to the 250s.
Old 09-30-2012, 22:48   #15
dabigguns357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
I wouldn't get a Rebel. You will outgrow that bike before you make the first payment.
I would buy used, the same way I buy cars, cash rules. That's why I was talking to a friend who wants to sell his for 2,000.00.

For now I'm going to get in some classes and see how she likes it first
Old 09-30-2012, 22:53   #16
costanza187
I like Macs

Also...if you are wanting the Rebel, there is a good forum.

http://www.hondarebelforum.com

The people there are very nice, helpful and friendly. Definitely a good resource if you have a Rebel, or entertaining the idea of getting one.
Old 09-30-2012, 22:55   #17
SMOKEin

The best bike for her will be cheap, used, light and 250-500cc's. Highway speed shouldn't be a concern, she should spend plenty of time on back country roads before even hitting the highway.
Old 09-30-2012, 23:01   #18
Annhl8rX

Like many have said...have her take a class. That will determine whether or not she's really interested in riding. If she is, get her something like a used Ninja 500 ( if she's interested in the sporty side), or a Suzuki Savage 650 ( if she's cruiser bound). I'd skip the 250s. There are larger displacement bikes that weigh only negligibly more that will be satisfying for much longer.
Old 09-30-2012, 23:03   #19
sappy13

Have her take the msf course and see how she does/how she likes it. They will use 250 rebels and possibly a 500 cc. Once she has taken the final for her license, see if they will let her take it on the road for a minute to see how it is. I'd suggest a 500 cc to start on. I had a Suzuki gs500 and it was a great first bike. Plus those bikes are cheap and easy to resell for what you paid. I actually sold mine for 500.more.than I originally paid. I had a couple.hundred in tires and other stuff, so it was close enough to a wash.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 23:14   #20
dabigguns357

Safety course first, no question there and yes I would go just to brush up.

Sounds weird but I never got rid of my motorcycle license, even though I haven't ridden in years. I guess motorcycles are like guns, ya just gotta let see and feel for them selves
Old 10-01-2012, 04:56   #21
GVFlyer

MSF Course is a great idea, not just for the obvious reasons. I dropped by a course in my area to see one of the instructors new Harley. While I was there, a girl taking the course decided that this riding a motorcycle stuff just wasn't for her and walked over to her car, threw her helmet in the back and drove off.

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:31   #22
Geeorge
Sarcasm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halojumper View Post
Even a small girl can "pick up" a full dress Harley.

Hint: it's in the technique, not the strength.

Okie is one KooL Cat
Geeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:26   #23
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

Check your local community college for courses (that's where they're offered around here).

Mr.C started with a Virago, with the idea that it was low enough that I could put both feet down flat without a problem (at 5'3" there were a number of bikes I couldn't do that on), and he would trade up and give me that one when he wants to move up. I'm good with that.

And contrary to a few other posts, I would actually prefer to start with a dirt bike, because I could use it all over the property we live on. Also, my daughters both want one. I'd let them take the dirt bike around here before I'd let them anywhere near the highway on a motorcycle. I'm happy on the backroads tooling along at 55, but 70 mph down the interstate doesn't thrill me. Too many looney and distracted drivers, and too much wind. Call me chicken if you want. I'd rather take a horse over a picnic table than a bike down the interstate. it just means we have to take the scenic route to anywhere.

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:09   #24
Sharkey

Have her take the MSF class as others have said. If you haven't been, it might be a good idea to go too.

As for what cycle, let her decide for herself what she likes.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:03   #25
ron59
Bustin Caps

I am 6' tall and started out on a Yamaha 250 street bike 30 years ago. Yeah, I outgrew it quick and went to a 550 Seca, but I really think a woman should start on a small bike.

Buy a used one, let her learn, then sell it and buy her a larger one if she feels comfortable.

You said "Highway use", but I wouldn't have her on an interstate on it. In fact, I'd stick to backstreets with 45MPH limit as much as possible, or country roads with less traffic.

I learned in a parking lot.

If she's never ridden a bicycle with front/rear brakes... she has a lot to learn. Learning how to manipulate those is the hardest part of being safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote