GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 16:45   #176
The Machinist
No Compromise
 
The Machinist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 5,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Bit of history for the uninformed:

At this point in 1980, Reagan was behind Carter by a good bit.

How did that turn out?
That was over thirty years ago, and Mittens is not Reagan. Not by a long shot.
__________________
Proud to be an infidel!
The Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 17:24   #177
Providence
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 543
I actually think it has little to do with the debates, and more to do with who will get out and vote. If we vote, we win.

But, just for discussion... Just this afternoon, I heard a radio discussion ,among Doctors, about the effects of Obamacare. According this radio discussion, the 716 Billion $ cuts to Medicare are on the payment side of things. According to them, benefits are not cut, only payments to hospitals and Doctors. That is why Drs are refusing to treat Medicare patients. I realize that a segment of people will judge the Drs, and I a certainly not a fan of theirs, but if you can't make a living with Medicare, you have to punt and go where you can make a living. This should be part of the discussion. Not who wins the debate, or who Is smarter, or whatever else people think. Has Obama's policies worked... Except for Obama phones and food stamps.


Please vote! It's that important!
__________________
Georgia Club Member #106
Tactical Shotgun Club #58
Rimfire Club #193
Snubbie Club #18
Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 17:32   #178
Restless28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Solsbury Hill
Posts: 16,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence View Post
I actually think it has little to do with the debates, and more to do with who will get out and vote. If we vote, we win.

But, just for discussion... Just this afternoon, I heard a radio discussion ,among Doctors, about the effects of Obamacare. According this radio discussion, the 716 Billion $ cuts to Medicare are on the payment side of things. According to them, benefits are not cut, only payments to hospitals and Doctors. That is why Drs are refusing to treat Medicare patients. I realize that a segment of people will judge the Drs, and I a certainly not a fan of theirs, but if you can't make a living with Medicare, you have to punt and go where you can make a living. This should be part of the discussion. Not who wins the debate, or who Is smarter, or whatever else people think. Has Obama's policies worked... Except for Obama phones and food stamps.


Please vote! It's that important!
The majority of doctors that I know live high on the hog and are surely in debt up to their eyeballs after school and their lifestyle.

I don't see them going anywhere. They are looking at the $, not the patients.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 17:47   #179
SpoiledBySig
Senior Member
 
SpoiledBySig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Port St. Lucie, FL
Posts: 1,888
I just can't see people all going to the voting booths and voting for Obama. Not with this economy, not with this general outlook, not with what's going on in the Middle East.

I truly believe Romney will win. If Obama wins...look out. It'll mean the Lame Steam Media won it for him and everybody who actually voted for him the 2nd time will be in total denial that they voted at all within 2 years. I have siblings who want to work and they say they can't find a job. let alone my teenage kids having any luck in finding a job.

I'm still asking myself about what happened to this, "2010 Recovery Summer" that Obama and Biden were touting about? I knew then that the guy that everybody voted for in 2008 was the wrong guy.

I sure as heck can't control the world, but I will be voting for Romney and so will most of my family members. 2 days ago, two ladies were walking around the neighborhood and knocking on doors, asking people, "Do you think there's anything wrong with the economy today?" They were looking for people to vote for Obama and offering them absentee ballots. I first told them that, "The economy isn't good today" and that, "just seeing people like you walking around knocking on doors is proof that the economy is bad". They refused to offer me an absentee ballot after I told them I support Mitt Romney ( no kidding, this really happened). I was alright by that because I plan on voting in November.
__________________
That's my story...and i'm stickin' to it!!!

Last edited by SpoiledBySig; 09-30-2012 at 17:48..
SpoiledBySig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 17:54   #180
Trew2Life
#the struggle
 
Trew2Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: terra nullius
Posts: 1,167
I do not believe Mitt Romney will win this election. Although, the clearly discriminatory and restrictive voter ID laws that have been passed in some key states does give me cause for concern.

Overall, If the country could not accept a 20+ year sitting senator/war veteran/P.O.W., with mamma bear running mate Sarah Palin, then no way do they elect the Mittster.
__________________
Excuses are tools of the incompetent used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who use them seldom amount to anything.
Trew2Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 18:02   #181
taters
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: mays landing nj
Posts: 433
Sad to say but America has been taken down from within.
16trillion in debt
8 1/2 % unemployment
In a war we can't win
And Obama is leading in the polls. That should tell you right there we are done as a nation. Even if Romney wins. There is no hope. I've dropped out.
__________________
taters
taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 18:32   #182
KalashniKEV
Senior Member
 
KalashniKEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NoVA
Posts: 4,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trew2Life View Post
Overall, If the country could not accept a 20+ year sitting senator/war veteran/P.O.W., with mamma bear running mate Sarah Palin, then no way do they elect the Mittster.
That was a joke ticket.

Mitt's ticket is stronger, but sadly it's still going to be a shutout.
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 18:51   #183
Restless28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Solsbury Hill
Posts: 16,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
That was a joke ticket.

Mitt's ticket is stronger, but sadly it's still going to be a shutout.
Agreed.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 18:53   #184
Glockworks
Ready/Aim/Fire
 
Glockworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 628
Blog Entries: 9
In response to KalashniKEV; I of course meant it from my perspective. If you think I meant it literally, then relax, and take a chill pill.....

McCain ran a weak limp campaign, he muzzled the one good thing he had, Sarah. He lost to a barely qualified candidate whose only qualification was that he was considered black by the US population and can read a teleprompter like 75% of the population. Thus he is a great orator (?), and so smart, though his grades have NEVER been released (hmmm?).

I also remember the 72 and 80 Prez campaigns and they were unexpected landslides, I think this one will be too.

Last edited by Glockworks; 09-30-2012 at 19:00..
Glockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 18:54   #185
Trew2Life
#the struggle
 
Trew2Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: terra nullius
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
That was a joke ticket.

Mitt's ticket is stronger, but sadly it's still going to be a shutout.
Stronger how? Romney/Ryan does not have nearly the support and energy of the base as did McCain/Palin.
__________________
Excuses are tools of the incompetent used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who use them seldom amount to anything.
Trew2Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 19:36   #186
Hawaiiglock
58008
 
Hawaiiglock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kona, Hi
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trew2Life View Post
Stronger how? Romney/Ryan does not have nearly the support and energy of the base as did McCain/Palin.
Here's my arm chair QB on the issue:


I think that Palin scared a lot of people away from the Republican ticket in the last election (I agreed with her on some issues). Not because she is a woman but because she comes off as a few bricks short of a full load. If you go take a look at some of her speeches/interviews you'll see what I mean.

If the Republican's were smart they would have used the Democrats strategy of endorsing Obama (young hip guy, some new blood in Washington) and put Paul Ryan as the front runner. No offense to Mitt but I think, for various reasons, that he lacks the support of younger Republicans and people who are on the fence.

Another issue that seems to be hurting the Republican party is the inability to adapt to some of the major issues that sway voters in the 21st century. Anti abortion/gay rights, heavy religious stance, etc... are all issues that scare potential party backers away.
Hawaiiglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 22:54   #187
JuneyBooney
Senior Member
 
JuneyBooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 15,492
If they allow dead people to vote Romney will lose. Otherwise, Romney wins.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 23:06   #188
devildog2067
Senior Member
 
devildog2067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Near Chicago, IL
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockworks View Post
McCain ran a weak limp campaign, he muzzled the one good thing he had, Sarah.
Sarah Palin almost made me vote for Obama in 2008. How anyone could think she was a "good" thing is beyond me.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 23:11   #189
G29Reload
Tread Lightly
 
G29Reload's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Machinist View Post
That was over thirty years ago, .

Irrelevant.

Romeny migh tnot be reagan, but zero has carter by a longshot.
__________________
Avenge me...AVENGE ME!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_z2d4IxltHJ...on%26Fence.png
G29Reload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 23:17   #190
G29Reload
Tread Lightly
 
G29Reload's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Sarah Palin almost made me vote for Obama in 2008. How anyone could think she was a "good" thing is beyond me.
Then a lot of other things are beyond you too.

She was my bet for President. She was better than her running mate.

Unless you're already a lieberal, how could you not want her? She had more executive experience than Obama, had approval ratings in the high 90's, honchoed a natural gas pipeline, cut back her state's debt, ran and acted like a fiscal conservative. Her creds were impeccable.

I have yet to hear anyone utter exactly what was so wrong with her. The only thing I ever heard was a bunch of catty tards who seemed to hate her cause she was beautiful.

The sound of her voice became a little grating after the newness wore off, but that's not a reason to dislike her. She's also turned out to be right about a lot of other things in the intervening period. She's sure got more smarts than Zero, though thats not saying much.
__________________
Avenge me...AVENGE ME!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_z2d4IxltHJ...on%26Fence.png
G29Reload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 23:19   #191
devildog2067
Senior Member
 
devildog2067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Near Chicago, IL
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat1950 View Post
This is a much different country than post world war 2 where all Americans were hard working patriotic people
"All Americans" were "hard working patriotic people"?

Are you insane?

"All Americans" have never been anything.

Post WWII America was many things. Many of them were great. Some were not so good.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 23:21   #192
devildog2067
Senior Member
 
devildog2067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Near Chicago, IL
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
Ryan on the other hand, hes legit. wish he was running for prez.
If Ryan were running for president, I would not vote for him. I cannot support someone who is that much of a religious zealot that publicly.

The Republicans need to remember what freedom means, and run a candidate who believes in small government, cutting spending, lowering taxes and otherwise leaving people the hell alone.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 23:24   #193
G29Reload
Tread Lightly
 
G29Reload's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trew2Life View Post
I do not believe Mitt Romney will win this election..

We know, you're a DU troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trew2Life View Post
Although, the clearly discriminatory and restrictive voter ID laws that have been passed in some key states does give me cause for concern.
No, they don't. Just you being intellectually dishonest in throwing out a red herring.

There's nothing restrictive about showing ID when voting, unless you just want the chance to help out those committing voter fraud, like your commie friends in Chicago, Phil and Balto where its particularly bad, dead people voting, etc.

You have to show your ID when you're

-pulled over by the cops,
-boarding an airplane
-opening a bank account
-buying liquor, etc

So, spare us the bull about "restrictive" ID laws. It just means you can't cheat. You're not fooling anyone.
__________________
Avenge me...AVENGE ME!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_z2d4IxltHJ...on%26Fence.png
G29Reload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 23:25   #194
devildog2067
Senior Member
 
devildog2067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Near Chicago, IL
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Then a lot of other things are beyond you too.
If you say so.

Quote:
She was my bet for President. She was better than her running mate.
Hmm... long-serving legislator who was also a genuine war hero with a reputation for telling the truth, or small-town mayor turned Governor of a state with a smaller population than Columbus, Ohio?
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 23:26   #195
M&P Shooter
Metal Member
 
M&P Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 10,455
Obamanation will win and it really doesn't matter because the 2 choices both suck and hate your guns
__________________
R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell
August 20, 1966 December 8, 2004
M&P Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 23:30   #196
devildog2067
Senior Member
 
devildog2067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Near Chicago, IL
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
There's nothing restrictive about showing ID when voting,
I did quite a bit of research about this, because I sincerely hoped there was a reason for this decision.

The legal test (and I'm not a lawyer/expert, so anyone who knows better than I feel free to correct me) has two parts: a) does the law solve a real problem and b) does the law apply unequally to different groups. From what I could tell, voter ID laws fail both parts. A number of studies (done by groups sponsored by both parties) seem to have shown that voter fraud is a statistically insignificant problem, and poor/elderly/young people are less likely to have government ID than other people.

If I understand correctly, if voter fraud was a serious enough problem, the compelling interest of a) could override b), but no one has yet to prove that a) is a serious (statistically speaking) problem. There have only been a handful of cases of voter fraud prosecuted across the country since 2000.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 23:34   #197
G29Reload
Tread Lightly
 
G29Reload's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post

Hmm... long-serving legislator who was also a genuine war hero with a reputation for telling the truth, or small-town mayor turned Governor of a state with a smaller population than Columbus, Ohio?
And a RINO, as opposed to Palin being a conservative. The author of McCain Feingold. Too anti gun.

A guy who made a rep as a fighter and tough guy, who then wouldn't take a swing when it counted.

An idiot who suspended his campaign to go back to DC to sit there in front of the cameras looking clueless.

No thanks.
__________________
Avenge me...AVENGE ME!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_z2d4IxltHJ...on%26Fence.png
G29Reload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 23:40   #198
G29Reload
Tread Lightly
 
G29Reload's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
I did quite a bit of research about this, because I sincerely hoped there was a reason for this decision.

The legal test (and I'm not a lawyer/expert, so anyone who knows better than I feel free to correct me) has two parts: a) does the law solve a real problem and b) does the law apply unequally to different groups. From what I could tell, voter ID laws fail both parts. A number of studies (done by groups sponsored by both parties) seem to have shown that voter fraud is a statistically insignificant problem, and poor/elderly/young people are less likely to have government ID than other people.

If I understand correctly, if voter fraud was a serious enough problem, the compelling interest of a) could override b), but no one has yet to prove that a) is a serious (statistically speaking) problem. There have only been a handful of cases of voter fraud prosecuted across the country since 2000.
What a load of horses#$&.

Voter fraud in Chicago and TX may have thrown the race to Kennedy. It can change an election. So, no there is nothing insignificant about it. It IS a compelling interest. Your cite of "both parties" is without attribution, so I'll count it as nonsense.

Elections should be free and fair. Its not fair if its rife with cheating.

It does not apply unequally. EVERYONE SHOWS ID. Period. No exceptions. Not buying the nonsense about ID's being "unaffordable" either. How in hell can you go thru society and not be able to prove who you are?

Again, you're not

opening a bank account,
driving a car
boarding an airplane
buying a gun
Getting a job!

Without some form of ID.

Its a specious argument and a red herring. A ruse to help those committing voter fraud. Don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining.
__________________
Avenge me...AVENGE ME!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_z2d4IxltHJ...on%26Fence.png
G29Reload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 23:42   #199
Trew2Life
#the struggle
 
Trew2Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: terra nullius
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
I have yet to hear anyone utter exactly what was so wrong with her. The only thing I ever heard was a bunch of catty tards who seemed to hate her cause she was beautiful.
Upon becoming mayor of Wasilla, she immediately asked the librarian how they could get rid of the 'objectionable' books. 'Objectionable' by whose standards? Sarah Palin's? I do recall there were some book burnings in Nazi Germany.

Palin opposes a woman's right to choose what to do with her own body, opposing the right to an abortion even for rape victims.

Palin believes that Creationism should be taught in public schools, which runs both counter to well-settled evolutionary science, and to the Constitutional separation of church and state.
__________________
Excuses are tools of the incompetent used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who use them seldom amount to anything.
Trew2Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 23:48   #200
devildog2067
Senior Member
 
devildog2067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Near Chicago, IL
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
What a load of horses#$&.
Well, don't blame me for it. I'm not a Supreme Court justice.

Quote:
Voter fraud in Chicago and TX may have thrown the race to Kennedy. It can change an election. So, no there is nothing insignificant about it. It IS a compelling interest.
OK. Why hasn't anyone proven it then?

I'm not a social scientist, I have no idea how one would go about measuring this. I imagine it can be done, or at least estimated.

Like I said, I'm not a lawyer and I'm not an expert. I was curious about the reasoning behind the ruling and this is what I read. The data seems to indicate that in-person voter fraud is quite rare. Much more fraud happens with absentee ballots, and voter ID laws wouldn't fix that problem.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:27.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 774
198 Members
576 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42