Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:18   #1
Batesmotel

Need semi-auto combo shotgun advice.

My son is looking for a semi 12 gage hunting/tactical combo gun.

Must have pistol grip and able to accept a 18-20 in tactical and 28-30 in hunting barrel.

We expect to buy a tactical gun and add the hunting barrel.

He has a deformed elbow and a pump is difficult and a pistol grip is a must.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:02   #2
TeeJay37

Do you want pistol grip only or just a shoulder stock with a pistol grip?
I'm not sure the extent of his limitations, but would a shorter stock help him get a better grip in the forend? I just put a 12" LOP stock on my maverick 88 and noticed I can operate the pump much easier. My problem was that I was too close to the receiver on the forend and would hit the side saddle.
I would say, buy a hunting gun and then a shorter barrel, as the short barrels are cheaper. This can be done with most commercial pumps very easily, so it would come down to price and user preference. For instance, I like my mav 88 because if the location of the slide release vs the Remington 870. Plus with a pistol grip, like you need, the cross bolt safety on a mav 88 or Rem 870 would be much easier to operate over the tang safety on a Mossberg 500.

Eta: sorry, I just noticed you said semi.

Last edited by TeeJay37; 09-27-2012 at 09:06..
TeeJay37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:04   #3
TeeJay37

I'm pretty sure most manufacturers offer a combo setup from the factory. I think mossberg has a package that comes with a traditional stock and a pistol grip only and a 28" & 18" barrel. I'm sure Remington offers similar.
TeeJay37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:07   #4
Victoriagotagun

Look into the Benelli M2 but keep in mind that their spare barrels cost about half the cost of the shotgun your buying them for.

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:03   #5
Hedo1

Mossberg 930 SPX. By the tactical version then an extra barrel in the dimensions you want.

If you buy a spare barrel with the integral scope base you'll have to remove the top rail but it's a 5 min job and easy to do. Mossberg spare barrels run about $200 - $225 and take about a month to ship.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:01   #6
Batesmotel

Thanks for the input. Right now he has an 870 combo but he just can't shoot it well. He shot trap with my pistol gripped Mosburg 500 and did very well.

His right elbow is messed up. If he shoots right handed he can't properly grip a normal stock but gets a fair grip in a pistol grip. If he shoots left handed he has a hard time pumping it. So a pistol grip semi might be the solution.

Last edited by Batesmotel; 09-27-2012 at 12:01..
Batesmotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:25   #7
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
Thanks for the input. Right now he has an 870 combo but he just can't shoot it well. He shot trap with my pistol gripped Mosburg 500 and did very well.

His right elbow is messed up. If he shoots right handed he can't properly grip a normal stock but gets a fair grip in a pistol grip. If he shoots left handed he has a hard time pumping it. So a pistol grip semi might be the solution.

It sounds like he needs to practice more then.

I understand not shooting something as well as your preferred firearm. But not shooting something like the 870 well sounds like a training issue, not a gear issue.

I'd just take a fraction of that money, spend on shells/clays until he becomes proficient with that.

When I first got my step grandpa into guns, he though he needed a semi auto shotgun when we went shooting clays. He bought a browning silverhunter. He still couldn't hit anything until I spent a whole box of 135 clays with him, showing him where to hold, how to swing with the clay, etc.... etc..... He now knocks them out like no other. It would have been better if he learned off a pump though, then worked his way up to semi auto, to give him that much more of an advantage IMO.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:27   #8
farmer2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
It sounds like he needs to practice more then.

I understand not shooting something as well as your preferred firearm. But not shooting something like the 870 well sounds like a training issue, not a gear issue.

I'd just take a fraction of that money, spend on shells/clays until he becomes proficient with that.

When I first got my step grandpa into guns, he though he needed a semi auto shotgun when we went shooting clays. He bought a browning silverhunter. He still couldn't hit anything until I spent a whole box of 135 clays with him, showing him where to hold, how to swing with the clay, etc.... etc..... He now knocks them out like no other. It would have been better if he learned off a pump though, then worked his way up to semi auto, to give him that much more of an advantage IMO.

The young man that is being discussed has a disability, its not really a training issue.
farmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 23:52   #9
Happy Hunting

The 930 is probably a winner and you can get the whole kit you want for $800 or so. I've been looking at the JM model lately but they seem to be sold out everywhere and I finally got my Browning Gold to cycle reliably with a little CLP and TLC.

The Benelli (M2) equivalent will cost you much, much more. Just spitballing here- $1700ish
The FN SLP does not come in a barrel longer than 22'', but you may be able to manage something.

FWIW my 26'' barrel is plenty quick. I think people who aren't clearing corners on a regular basis make a bigger deal about it than they need. I would start with the longer barrel and then maybe get a shorter one if you think you need it.

Good luck with your son. Christmas will be here before you know it and a quality shotgun by a solid maker will last a long time.
Happy Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 00:51   #10
NH Trucker
Needs coffee...

You can usually find an older Remington 1100 for pretty cheap, and there's a lot of aftermarket stocks for them. I'm not sure what barrels for them cost, but the money you save buying an older one will get you a bit further for the money. And recoil is pretty manageable too.

I bought my 1100 for skeet shooting. It was made sometime in the early 80's and needed a bit of cleaning up, but I only paid $235 for it. I usually still see them for under $400. Depending on the deal you can find, it might work out to be a more cost effective route doing that and then adding whatever you want.
Old 09-30-2012, 18:17   #11
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer2 View Post
The young man that is being discussed has a disability, its not really a training issue.

doh, I missed that part. My apologies.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote