Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:02   #1
vallelbg

New to the ar world.

Based on my budget i have it narrowed down to a s&w m&p 15 sport or a windham weaponry mpc. This is my first AR,and would like to keep it simple.
vallelbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:20   #2
9mmmountaineer

I know personally that the m&p shoots great, never shot a windham but I have the m&p Orc. I learned after I bought my carbon 15 that even though it's your first AR save that extra month or extra couple weeks and get the one you really want.
9mmmountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:25   #3
mjkeat

I like the M&P's 1:8 barrel but I wouldn't shy away from either.

What's your budget for ammunition and classes? Purchasing the AR is only the beginning.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:25   #4
WoodenPlank
Who?

Between the two, I would take the Sport. S&W (and the Sport) have an actual track record to look at in terms of quality and customer service, whereas Windham does not. Yes, I know it's mostly old Bushy employees - that does not magically mean that everything is the same as it was.

What is your budget, though? Depending on local prices, you might be able to get a better weapon than either for around the same money.

Last edited by WoodenPlank; 09-30-2012 at 09:25..
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:32   #5
JW1178

Just get a "standard" rifle and then upgrade where you want to.
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:42   #6
mjkeat

The Sport and MPC are fairly standard. What upgrades are you talking about? Your post leaves questions.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:15   #7
AKRover
10MM Fanatic

I was not new to ARs when I bought my M&P Sport as I've owned ARs in the past and been in the military. I bought my M&P Sport because I knew S&W makes quality weapons so it would be a good base to build into whatever form of an AR I decided I wanted. It has been a good rifle through about 1000 rounds so far and only malfunction was due to a magazine not fully seated. Can't blame the rifle for operator error.
Glock 20, Colt Delta Elite, Sig 1911 Extreme, Norinco SKS-D, AK47, Marlin 795 .22LR, CZ 452 LH .22LR, Colt M4 .22LR, S&W M&P-15 Sport, Remington 700 SPS LH 300 Win Mag, Winchester 1300 Defender 12ga, Winchester 1300 Black Shadow 20ga
AKRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:21   #8
Airhasz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post

What's your budget for ammunition and classes? Purchasing the AR is only the beginning.
Yeah OP, those classes will come in handy if you don't already know how to operate a safety and trigger...
Airhasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:01   #9
Trey83

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post

Mjkeat- you add a lot to the forums and I appreciate your input but not everybody is looking to be an operator. Not everybody is interested in attending carbine classes.

I do agree when it comes to mags and ammo.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:08   #10
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey83 View Post
Mjkeat- you add a lot to the forums and I appreciate your input but not everybody is looking to be an operator. Not everybody is interested in attending carbine classes.

You don't have to want to be an "operator" or a Costa wanna-be to realize that taking even a basic carbine class (or suggesting someone else do the same) will go a LONG way to helping someone new to the weapon platform understand how to make that weapon run. I've seen plenty of newbies with jammed up ARs on ranges that were clueless on how to correct the problem. In some cases, that cluelessness led to unsafe situations and potential injury.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:39   #11
Cole125
Silver Membership

Out of your two choices M&P Sport, no question. I have not heard anything negative about them, they should be good to go.

As said above budget money for ammo and mags, your not "done" when you just buy a rifle.

A carbine class or at least getting pointers from someone who knows how to run a AR is a must, also.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:42   #12
mjkeat

Quote:

This is the misconception that keeps people looking rediculous and not shooting to their potential. Like any tool you need to know how to operate it properly to see its full potential plus it's the responsible thing to do.

Seeing that the OP is new to ARs I'll leave it at that and let the rest of you muddy the waters.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:46   #13
Trey83

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
You don't have to want to be an "operator" or a Costa wanna-be to realize that taking even a basic carbine class (or suggesting someone else do the same) will go a LONG way to helping someone new to the weapon platform understand how to make that weapon run. I've seen plenty of newbies with jammed up ARs on ranges that were clueless on how to correct the problem. In some cases, that cluelessness led to unsafe situations and potential injury.
A responsible gun owner should do research on ANY weapon platform before they take it out for the first time. I just don't understand why every time someone says "I'm getting an AR" it immediately comes up that they need to take a course. I mean if someone says "I'm getting a Glock" everyone doesn't jump in and suggest they take a course.

I don't want to be taken out of context. I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with them. I am all for advancing your knowledge and proficiency in a hobby we all love. I just don't think it's a requirement before owning a rifle.

Now if it is your very first firearm in general. I would suggest taking a basic safety and handling class.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:46   #14
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
This. The misconception I spoke of earlier. People think you start out running. You don't. Basic classes, though I find them enjoyable, can be boring at times for some. Crawl before you walk. Right? Yep.

OP, you'll be GTG w/ either AR though 1:8 twist would be my choice. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:51   #15
Trey83

Sorry to hijack the thread. I would probably go with the sport based on its proven track record. Windham is probably going to be a great company but it's too early to be sure IMHO.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:52   #16
mjkeat

Quote:
A responsible gun owner should do research on ANY weapon platform before they take it out for the first time. I just don't understand why every time someone says "I'm getting an AR" it immediately comes up that they need to take a course. I mean if someone says "I'm getting a Glock" everyone doesn't jump in and suggest they take a course.

I don't want to be taken out of context. I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with them. I am all for advancing your knowledge and proficiency in a hobby we all love. I just don't think it's a requirement before owning a rifle.

Now if it is your very first firearm in general. I would suggest taking a basic safety and handling class.
Not all firearms are the same. A responsible firearm owner knows how to properly operate his/her firearms proficiently. It is the safest path.

Safety classes don't cover everything needed. Improper fundamentals can cause injury. The 7 fundamentals are not taught in safety classes. I watched 3 men bleed Sat. because they did not apply proper fundamentals. They were following all safety rules though.

I think we need to understand something before telling a new person it isn't needed.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:52   #17
K. Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallelbg View Post
Based on my budget i have it narrowed down to a s&w m&p 15 sport or a windham weaponry mpc. This is my first AR,and would like to keep it simple.
Of those two, S&W. But give us more info on your budget and intended use, maybe we can recommend something else.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:31   #18
Hour13
Tah-dah!

Oh my...

The Sport, and the debate of whether or not a carbine course is "worthwhile" in the same thread? Ooh, this should be fun.

Lol, OP, the Sport is a great rifle, you'll likely not be disappointed. Like it was mentioned above, not much of a track record to go on yet with Windham. Where as with the Sport?

It's frikin Smith & Wesson. They do stand behind their gear, and the Sport is no exception.

I've had my fair share of ARs, one of which was the Sport. It was a fantastic weapon, great shooter, would trust it 110%. I have every intention of adding another one to my stash, actually regret selling my old one.

Quote:
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 14:54   #19
Airhasz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
Out of your two choices M&P Sport, no question. I have not heard anything negative about them, they should be good to go.

As said above budget money for ammo and mags, your not "done" when you just buy a rifle.

A carbine class or at least getting pointers from someone who knows how to run a AR is a must, also.
A must? I ran mine out the box with no problem. If you have had firearms saftey 101 it is not that complicated...there are a heck of a lot more complicated things in life than pushing bullets into a magazine, inserting it into the mag well (only goes in one way...class 101 has started), pull charging handle and flip lever that actually says fire on it (everyone knows what a trigger is for)! I would be surprised if someone could not figure it out unless you spent your whole life under a rock...as always ymmv...lol
Old 09-30-2012, 15:02   #20
Airhasz

OP, before you buy a sport beware that it is missing mil spec parts (forward assist and dust cover) which KILLS the sport for me. Be informed so you don't get talked in a neutered AR without knowing...