Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:14   #151
2-8 Marine
Limp Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorpinki View Post
Some people consider it common courtesy to not point out the fact that someone is wearing a watch of significant value, just like some people consider it to be common courtesy to not remark on the abundance or lack of abundance of money in someone else's wallet at the check out line... but people do notice.
I call "BS". First, you can't possibly determine any real number of people who even noticed or didn't notice my watch. Secondly, two people recognizing my Rolex - a real number by the way - out of all the hundreds of thousands of people I've come in contact with in 30 years, that's one hell of a lot of courtious people by my estimation.
By the way, you failed to address the last part of my post you quoted . . . how many watches did you notice on the people you came in contact with yesterday?

There are three types of people in the world; those that can count and those that can't.

Last edited by 2-8 Marine; 09-29-2012 at 10:30..
2-8 Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:29   #152
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed Five Oh View Post
Invicta Pro Diver Automatic.

Looks like a Rolex Submariner.

Costs 1/50th of the rolex.

Keeps better time than the rolex.

Blondes can't tell the difference.

Makes submariner owners stomp their hankies.
Just like a Rolex....... except its a cheap piece of junk and everyone knows it.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:30   #153
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post
Believe it or not, this Submariner has garnered me more attention from strangers in the 1 week I have owned it than both of my Breitlings did over the last several years, and the Navitimer sticks out like a sore thumb with the huge dial.

As of last night, 5 total strangers now made mention of it. 3 of them asked if it was fake, one complemented me on it, and the last one was actually the one that surprised me the most.

It was a merchant selling cell phone accessories at a center kiosk at my local mall. I was walking by and out of nowhere I hear him say "Is that a Submariner Date or a GMT Master? I can't tell from this distance." I replied with, "It's a fake." and continued walking. He then responded with "Bull****, sell it to me then. I'll give you $500 for it right now. Nice profit for you on a fake watch." I just kept walking without saying anything else.

Obviously the guy could tell it was genuine, but from literally 15 feet away while walking this took me by total surprise. I love the watch, but actually don't really care for the attention that it definitely attracts. If it keeps up like this, the SuperOcean might be returned to daily wear and the Rolex left for special occasions.
I've never been asked once -- not a single time -- if my watches were fake. In fact, I have only received polite compliments on occasion.

And I've never been mugged for it.

Were I to be mugged, I would simply buy a new one the next day and let my homeowners company figure out the damage.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 09-29-2012 at 10:31..
Old 09-29-2012, 10:43   #154
Hef
Stop Obammunism

My iPhone shows the time, as does my desktop, and there's a clock in every one of my vehicles. I don't need a watch. Besides, it isn't safe to wear one while operating woodworking machinery or power tools.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:46   #155
professorpinki
Bumbling idjit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-8 Marine View Post
I call "BS". First, you can't possibly determine any real number of people who even noticed or didn't notice my watch. Secondly, two people recognizing my Rolex - a real number by the way - out of all the hundreds of thousands of people I've come in contact with in 30 years, that's one hell of a lot of courtious people by my estimation.
By the way, you failed to address the last part of my post you quoted . . . how many watches did you notice on the people you came in contact with yesterday?
3 breitlings, a handful of Rolexes, two g-shocks, one luminox... and a plethora of cheap crap.

Last edited by professorpinki; 09-29-2012 at 10:47..
professorpinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:47   #156
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCav View Post
The Okie Corral
Out of all the outstanding watches in this thread, this is one I've wanted for a while now.

Nice watch.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:55   #157
GlockinNJ

Quote:
and that's the problem with nice cars - you can become a target by driving one. I don't own a BMW but if I did, I would limit myself to driving it someplace safe, like work. I would never drive it around NYC for example.

Ridiculous!
Uh, I think you just confirmed my point. I would never drive a nice car in NYC, unless I had to.
GlockinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:59   #158
Fed Five Oh
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Just like a Rolex....... except its a cheap piece of junk and everyone knows it.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
And the hankie stomping continues.

Question. If my cheap piece of junk keeps better time than a Rolex, wouldn't that make a Rolex a terribly expensive piece of junk?

Last edited by Fed Five Oh; 09-29-2012 at 11:03..
Fed Five Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:38   #159
2-8 Marine
Limp Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockinNJ View Post
Uh, I think you just confirmed my point. I would never drive a nice car in NYC, unless I had to.
The point is, millions of people drive expensive cars, wear expensive watches, jewelry, clothes, hand bags, shoes. sums of money, ie: valuables, etc in major cities, suburbs, country settings all over the country without being robbed, mugged, murdered and so on. The question is if you're so damned afraid for your possessions, why limit it to just your watch? Do you only wear jeans and a sweatshirt everywhere? Do you never carry money on your person?

There are three types of people in the world; those that can count and those that can't.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:41   #160
2-8 Marine
Limp Member

Quote:
3 breitlings, a handful of Rolexes, two g-shocks, one luminox... and a plethora of cheap crap.
And this proves what? How does this substantiate in anyway your original comment? I see you ignored the question yet again. Come on, you're a professor. You can come up with an answer.

Last edited by 2-8 Marine; 09-29-2012 at 12:18..
Old 09-29-2012, 11:45   #161
2-8 Marine
Limp Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
My iPhone shows the time, as does my desktop, and there's a clock in every one of my vehicles. I don't need a watch. Besides, it isn't safe to wear one while operating woodworking machinery or power tools.
Not good for you or the watch. I salute your common sense Sir. A very valid reason indeed.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:11   #162
maxmanta

Quote:
Watches have become just as weak of a point for me over the years as guns.

I have had 2 Breitlings. One Chrono SuperOcean and a Navitimer World (The Navitimer was just recently sold) and this past week I picked up a brand spanking new 2012 SS Rolex Submariner Date. I also have a Luminox 3081.BO for the manual labor.

Anyone else with a similar addiction? I would love to know I'm not the only one with a second ridiculously expensive hobby.
Breitling Colt Ocean Quartz that I've worn every single day for the past twelve years. It's actually made an indentation in my wrist. There's no other watch that I want.
maxmanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:11   #163
michael e

Fossil, cheap and I like them. Good enought for me, it tells me the time and thats all i need.
michael e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:34   #164
Anglin_AZ

Sometimes it'shard to choose...

The Okie Corral
Glock 17OD - Glock 21-SA XD45 Tactical-Beretta Neos-Delton AR-15-Benelli Nova-Ruger LCP w/CT-Savage Arms BTV 64-Mosin Nagant(Old Faithful)-Ruger Security Six-Ruger SR9c-Uberti Cattleman-Marlin 336-Tikka T3 Lite-S&W Model 36
Anglin_AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:41   #165
professorpinki
Bumbling idjit

Quote:
And this proves what? How does this substantiate in anyway your original comment? I see you ignored the question yet again. Come on, you're a professor. You can come up with an answer.
Actually, not a professor.

I answered your question that you posed directly.

My point is that just because people don't say anything or seem to notice doesn't mean they don't notice at all. Every movement you do makes you judged by those around you - even by the prissy Paris Hilton and Nicky Minaj wannabee teens. And, certain actions and things that surround you enhance the motive of would be attackers. Like not locking your doors. But you should know that, being that you're on here at Glock Talk, and being that your handle suggests you were in the Corps. Lack of having been attacked yourself does not equate to lack of risk of attack.
professorpinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:53   #166
Jack23
I. B. Glockin'

I have 3 watches that I wear for appropriate occasions.

. Timex Explorer - huntin', shootin', fishin' workin', etc
. Elgin Gold/Stainless steel with one diamond - for medium nice
. Wife and I have matching Fossil watches for super nice.
G-17, G-23, G-21, G-36, Ruger blackhawk, ss, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark II, Ruger SP101, British Webley MKI .455, Kel-Tec P32, S&W top break .38, S&W 24-3 .44spl N frame Colt 1903 .32, Heritage .22 Combo, Colt AR-15, LE6920.
Jack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:59   #167
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
Not good for you or the watch. I salute your common sense Sir. A very valid reason indeed.
Thank you. I've worked for and with guys who are missing fingers from accidents on table saws and chop saws, and I have friends who are amputees. I refuse to join them. I was taught in 8th grade shop class not to wear jewelry or anything else that might get caught in a machine, and have heeded my shop teacher's warnings my whole life.
Old 09-29-2012, 13:15   #168
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
I've never been asked once -- not a single time -- if my watches were fake. In fact, I have only received polite compliments on occasion.

And I've never been mugged for it.

Were I to be mugged, I would simply buy a new one the next day and let my homeowners company figure out the damage.
The only thing I can guess is that I look young (early 30's) and when not at work I am normally in sandals, a tshirt, and jean shorts. Not the attire most people would associate with someone wearing an expensive watch. It is just like when I walked into Cadillac to buy my last car. I was completely ignored for about 20 minutes before I finally approached a salesman for assistance. I can only attribute it to the fact that I was dressed as I mentioned above when I walked in the door.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 13:42   #169
devildog2067

Quote:
Keeps better time than the rolex.
The cheap automatic movement that Invicta uses in the Pro Diver series is a seriously nice movement for $25. When I built watches for my groomsmen a few years ago, that's the base movement that I used.

But if you honestly think a Miyota 8215 beating at 21.6 kbph can keep "better" time than a COSC certified 3135 beating at 28.8 kpbh, you have another think coming.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 13:46   #170
Roger1079

Quote:

Question. If my cheap piece of junk keeps better time than a Rolex, wouldn't that make a Rolex a terribly expensive piece of junk?
I am not an Invicta basher in any way, however I assure you that under almost all conditions, the Invicta Pro Diver DOES NOT keep more accurate time than a Rolex.

The Invicta uses a Swiss Sellita SW200 movement which is adjusted for 4 positions. The Submariner uses a Rolex 3135 movement which is adjusted for 5 positions and also temperature variation. Positions are dial down, dial up, crown down, crown up, and so on. What this means is that in those adjusted positions, the watch movement is less likely to have a variance in seconds.

Common sense will tell you that more adjusted positions as well as taking other factors into account will equate to a more accurate timepiece. No automatic movement is perfect, and ALL of them will lose or gain seconds over the course of a day, but your statement about the Invicta being more accurate than a Rolex is completely inaccurate.
Old 09-29-2012, 13:49   #171
2-8 Marine
Limp Member

Quote:
Actually, not a professor.

I though maybe not, that's why the

I answered your question that you posed directly.

The question was, Of all the people you came in contact with yesterday, how many of their watches did you notice. I never saw an answer direct or otherwise.

My point is that just because people don't say anything or seem to notice doesn't mean they don't notice at all.

This is the only valid comment you've made regarding my original post that you quoted. But, you have absolutely no way of knowing how many people may or maynot have noticed my watch over a 30 year span. Do you?

Every movement you do makes you judged by those around you - even by the prissy Paris Hilton and Nicky Minaj wannabee teens. And, certain actions and things that surround you enhance the motive of would be attackers. Like not locking your doors. But you should know that, being that you're on here at Glock Talk, and being that your handle suggests you were in the Corps. Lack of having been attacked yourself does not equate to lack of risk of attack.
None of this last paragraph has anything to do with my original post that we've been discussing. Just more "BS".

Last edited by 2-8 Marine; 09-29-2012 at 13:50..
Old 09-29-2012, 13:50   #172
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
The cheap automatic movement that Invicta uses in the Pro Diver series is a seriously nice movement for $25. When I built watches for my groomsmen a few years ago, that's the base movement that I used.

But if you honestly think a Miyota 8215 beating at 21.6 kbph can keep "better" time than a COSC certified 3135 beating at 28.8 kpbh, you have another think coming.
When I looked up the Invicta SWISS AUTOMATIC PRO DIVER
Model 9937 the Sellita SW200 movement came up as the installed movement. Are they using Japanese movements in some of their Diver Pro's?
Old 09-29-2012, 13:59   #173
devildog2067

Quote:
When I looked up the Invicta SWISS AUTOMATIC PRO DIVER
Model 9937 the Sellita SW200 movement came up as the installed movement. Are they using Japanese movements in some of their Diver Pro's?
The cheaper Pro Divers (the 89xx series) uses the Miyota, the more expensive ones (the 99xx series) used ETA 2824 or 2836s until a few years ago, and now use the Sellita SW200 or SW300 (clones of the 2824/2836).

Both the Sellita and Miyota movements come out of Chinese factories. The Sellitas are assembled in Switzerland, to Swiss specs with Swiss quality control. I've torn down several of those movements and they are quite good.

However, again--if you expect the lowest-grade ETA or Sellita movement to perform to the same level as a COSC certified 3135, you're going to be sorely disappointed. The ETA 28xx ebauche is a fantastic, well-designed movement, but it takes a lot of careful tweaking to make one run to within COSC specs. A lot of the lowest-grade ones never will.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 14:20   #174
Fed Five Oh
NRA Member

Quote:
No automatic movement is perfect, and ALL of them will lose or gain seconds over the course of a day, but your statement about the Invicta being more accurate than a Rolex is completely inaccurate.
I didn't say all Invicta's are more accurate than all Rolex's.

The question was if my cheap piece of junk Invicta keeps better time than a Rolex, doesn't that make the Rolex a terribly expensive piece of junk?

My buddy has a submariner. My invicta Pro Diver keeps better time. Pisses him off to no end. Add to that his wife thinks the pro diver looks better than his submariner because the center links in the bracelet are polished and he really gets steamed.

BTW, my every day wear pro diver has the Miyota movement.

I can't remember which ETA movement is in my Swiss Invicta.

I'm not a Rolex basher. When both daughters get out of college, I will finally purchase a submariner. I like them, but since I don't have the spare change at this point in time, I gotta go with what works reliably, looks good, and is affordable.

I just get tired of the same garbage that is posted by a certain individual when Invicta is mentioned.
Fed Five Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 14:29   #175
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:

It doesn't.