SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-27-2012, 16:01   #1
Stevekozak
Returning video

Sks

Thinking about buying a Yugo SKS. What are things I should be looking for? Any tests to perform? What is a good price range for one in really good condition? Thanks!
Old 09-27-2012, 16:15   #2
m2hmghb

Personally I'd pass on the yugo and look for a Chinese made. The yugos didn't have a chrome bore and were used with corrosive ammo, the end result is they were cleaned a lot or the bore rusted. Chinese, Russian and a couple other nations used a chrome lining.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 00:39   #3
Hamilton Burger
Incompetent

Also the grenade launcher looks funny and the gas cutoff can be a pita.

As for price, $250 is a good price. I wouldn't pay more than $350 for an unissued.

You can get a used Winchester .30-30 for that.

Last edited by Hamilton Burger; 09-28-2012 at 00:43..
Hamilton Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:48   #4
Hawaiiglock

I own two Yugo's, one was "unissued" the other was "good-very good" (bore looked brand new) when I purchased them. The bores are not chrome lined but as long as you keep them clean it's no big deal. Heck a few times I've taken them to the range, put a couple hundred rounds down the pipe, and then tossed them back in the safe without cleaning them (I don't shoot corrosive ammo). A few months later I'll pull them out and the bores do not show any signs of rust. The 59/66's are heavier then Norincos, but they have a flip up Radium/Tritium night sight (mine are still bright). I haven't had any issues with the gas system on my rifles.
Hawaiiglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:00   #5
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
Personally I'd pass on the yugo and look for a Chinese made. The yugos didn't have a chrome bore and were used with corrosive ammo, the end result is they were cleaned a lot or the bore rusted. Chinese, Russian and a couple other nations used a chrome lining.
I agree. Not a fan of the huge ugly grenade attachment on the end of the barrel.

I do love the SKS, its a very underrated rifle.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:51   #6
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Personally, I don't think a chrome lined barrel is that big a necessity. (Neither did the Yugoslavians!) The Model 59 has a nice heavy barrel on it. The two I owned had spotless bores; and both of them shot inside 2 1/2" at 100 yards with crappy combloc ammo.

You have to be extremely careful the first time you shoot one of these carbines. If Cosmoline has congealed inside the bolt the FP might be stuck - or become stuck - inside the bolt. If that happens the pin can lock forward and the gun will suddenly go full auto on you. (At least one new purchaser has shot himself to death this way!) The best way to fire a newly acquired Yogo is to load it singly, and with no more than one round at a time.

Many Yugos do NOT have a firing pin spring; and this can cause problems. First thing I would do on a new Yugo is to get a big hammer, a machinist's drift punch, and a couple of blocks of wood. Then I'd bang the retainer pin out 'a the bolt and thoroughly inspect and clean the firing pin and channel out.

There are two things you can do to a, 'new' Yugo to make it a much safer, much better gun: First, get yourself a, 'Murray Safety Firing Pin'; and, second, get yourself an excellent, 'Kivaari trigger' from Tom Prince. Here ya go:

http://www.murraysguns.com/
http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

http://www.kivaari.com/
http://www.kivaari.com/SKS%20Target%20Match.htm

The Yugos are nice carbines. Don't worry, you'll get used to the grenade launcher. After awhile I didn't even know the thing was there. (It's the bayonet I don't like.)

Last edited by Arc Angel; 09-30-2012 at 06:56..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:18   #7
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
(It's the bayonet I don't like.)
Ha! I think the bayonet is the greatest part of my Yugo, only being surpassed by the one on my Mosin. Kind of like having the biggest jack-knife ever made.

But you are deaad on right about the firing pin. I've cleaned mine several times and gotta break down and get the spring kit. And you're double right about the BIG HAMMER needed to get the bolt pin out. I've never had to wail on any gun part that hard to get something to move.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:07   #8
Bob Hafler

Many people believe the Yugo is more accurate because it's not chromed lined like the others. The chroming process in the Com Bloc countries was not always so great. I've got a 1969 Yugo 59/66 a1 and you'd swear the barrel was chromed lined with some outstanding rifling. I've never cleaned that rifle one bit different than any other rifle I own.
I guess it could be a problem if the owner doesn't know how to properly clean a rifle, but for those of us who do it's no big deal.

I agree you must make sure these rifles are cleaned of all cosmoline. Especially the firing pin. To this day I still check the firing pin to make sure it is free floating before I load the weapon.

I'm kind of used to checking though because Garands firing pins are free floating also.

Last edited by Bob Hafler; 09-28-2012 at 11:11..
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 17:58   #9
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

I love the SKS!!!

They are great rifles and can still be had for right around $300. You did miss the boat though.....they used to be 1/2 that price!

Chinese and Russian guns will be $400 or more. Search pawn shops and I'm sure you will come across a good deal at some point.

TGG

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 19:18   #10
GWG19

Hmm... I remember they sold for $100 new, unissued or referbushed.
Then again I bought my first AK copy with a milled receiver for $139.
GWG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 19:20   #11
unit1069

I saw a couple of great Norinco SKS rifles at the recent gun show for around $350. If I didn't already have a 1953 Russian SKS I would have jumped on one of them.

I'd stick with the Russian or Chinese commie SKS guns and forget about the satellite versions.
Old 09-28-2012, 19:25   #12
michael_b
BRC #1492

I had a Chinese paratrooper model at one time and LOVED it.

I have a Russian, 1952, all matching serials that I've never fired.

I personally like the quality of the Russians and Chinese ones better than Yugos.

Posted from my iPhone

"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"-Mushinto
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 20:01   #13
kf4zra
I miss ya Murph

Send a message via AIM to kf4zra Send a message via Yahoo to kf4zra

only the yugo 59/66 has the grenade launcher, grenade sites, radium flip up sites, and gas switch. the yugo 59 looks like most other sks rifles.

pretty much if you get a 59/66 and the gas switch is easy enough to move without tools, you shouldnt have a problem. firing 3 rounds through one would render the most pitted barrels shiny as new again.

I should know, i have cleaned/repaired over 100 of them for a dealer. i found them clogged with cosmoline. the cosmoline even kept some of the grass green that we found wedged into some of them. its almost like someone practiced with the rifle in the morning and in the afternoon dunked it into cosmoline. i found them with art on the stocks, intricate serbian crests carved into them, names, stickers like superman and my little pony stuck to the stocks.

I have the yugo 59/66, the yugo 59, the chinese M21 (no chinese character variant), a romanian, a russian from Izhevsk (lots more rare than the tula "star" version) and the albanian sks.

Looking for a russian stamped receiver sks, an east german, north vietnamese, and north korean variant, but they are very rare.

maybe its just the purist in me, but the plastic stocks, extended mags, bipods, scopes, etc, all just look silly to me on these guns. Its kinda like comparing a factory honda civic to a riced out one.

Happiness is a warm AK

If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
kf4zra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 20:17   #14
smokin762

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWG19 View Post
Hmm... I remember they sold for $100 new, unissued or referbushed.
Then again I bought my first AK copy with a milled receiver for $139.
Back in the early 90ís I paid $99.00 plus tax for my Chinese SKS. Shortly after, I bought an MAK90 for $120.00 from some guy taking it for a walk around the Gun Show. I also paid $279.00 for my Ruger Super Blackhawk.

I sure do miss those days. But I was making less money too.
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 00:23   #15
M1a65

Anyone have FTE problems with their Yugo, mines a nice single shot at the moment. Cleaned the day lights out of it and cannot see any noticeable defects why it would have FTE issues...
M1a65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:53   #16
Hamilton Burger
Incompetent

Gas set to grenade?
Hamilton Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:04   #17
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1a65 View Post
Anyone have FTE problems with their Yugo, mines a nice single shot at the moment. Cleaned the day lights out of it and cannot see any noticeable defects why it would have FTE issues...
What's the gas plug set on? Rifle or grenade?

http://www.murraysguns.com/sks_gv.htm

Suggest you call Ben Murray and discuss this problem with him.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:15   #18
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

The Yugo SKS is a very good rifle. I paid $65 for mine years ago, NIC (New in Cosmoline)

http://www.tech-sights.com makes a great M16 style sight for the SKS. I have it on my Yugo. Worth every penny!!

General Firearms Forum

Old 09-29-2012, 08:32   #19
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

That's beautiful wood, Glockdude1!
Old 09-29-2012, 08:35   #20
Ironbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiiglock View Post
I own two Yugo's, one was "unissued" the other was "good-very good" (bore looked brand new) when I purchased them. The bores are not chrome lined but as long as you keep them clean it's no big deal. Heck a few times I've taken them to the range, put a couple hundred rounds down the pipe, and then tossed them back in the safe without cleaning them (I don't shoot corrosive ammo). A few months later I'll pull them out and the bores do not show any signs of rust. The 59/66's are heavier then Norincos, but they have a flip up Radium/Tritium night sight (mine are still bright). I haven't had any issues with the gas system on my rifles.
Exactly what he said! I'd also like to add that I think the grenade launcher looks cool! You can also use blank rounds and a Bloom Automatic Golf Ball Launcher with your Yugo for some added coolness!

http://www.bloomautomatic.com/

I would also buy a Murray's spring loaded firing pin for your Yugo in order to prevent slam fire. All SKS's after a certain year (I forget which) were made with a free-floating pin. The Murray's pin returns it to a spring loaded pin, and requires no special tools at all to install. Instructions and videos on how to do this are all over youtube.

http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

While you're on the Murray's site, I'd also invest in a stainless steel gas valve. The stock valve has a tendency to get crusty, and it's also an easy swap-out for the new one.

http://www.murraysguns.com/sks_gv.htm

Lastly, there's a fellow on the SKS Survivor's forum who goes by the handle Kivaari. He does SKS trigger jobs for about $60.00. I'd seriously look at having one done in order to reduce creep and trigger pull.
Ironbar is offline   Reply With Quote