Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:43   #126
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post

You know, I like Rolex watches but I'm not sure I'd ever want to wear one. From what I've heard, they have an un-rivaled penchant for attracting unwanted attention (Thugs, dumasses, etc.)
That's just silly. Do you insist on driving a primered beater car so you won't get carjacked?

Don't wear it on your vacation to Nigeria and you should be ok.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:53   #127
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by podwich View Post
Sounds fun. And, for the record (in case it wasn't obvious), my first line of text was intended as sarcasm.
The car is a blast to drive when it works. There is something about being able to start the tires spinning at a 70mph roll that just puts a smile on my face. The same can be said for the lopey idle that shakes the entire car. Unfortunately it spends more time on the lift at the shop than it does on the road.

And yes, I know it was sarcasm. I think I might have taken that course in college at some point.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:04   #128
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
So because you don't like something, that means others can't, either?
Actually unless my sarcasm detector is broken all of a sudden, I think that entire post was quite full of it.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:21   #129
HexHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Very nice. The Yachtmaster is an underappreciated model. Never understood what the fuss was until I tried one on.
The dial and the bezel insert are solid Platinum. The lugs are curved differently than on a Sub, so the watch wears flatter. All the links are solid. The Sub I had before was very light weight in comparison, this weighs as much as a Panerai I had. I like that it's actually kind of stealthy in that it doesn't look like a Sub. And I love the red lettering, a nod to some of the most collectable Rolexes, and the red second hand.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:30   #130
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
That's just silly. Do you insist on driving a primered beater car so you won't get carjacked?

Don't wear it on your vacation to Nigeria and you should be ok.
Believe it or not, this Submariner has garnered me more attention from strangers in the 1 week I have owned it than both of my Breitlings did over the last several years, and the Navitimer sticks out like a sore thumb with the huge dial.

As of last night, 5 total strangers now made mention of it. 3 of them asked if it was fake, one complemented me on it, and the last one was actually the one that surprised me the most.

It was a merchant selling cell phone accessories at a center kiosk at my local mall. I was walking by and out of nowhere I hear him say "Is that a Submariner Date or a GMT Master? I can't tell from this distance." I replied with, "It's a fake." and continued walking. He then responded with "Bull****, sell it to me then. I'll give you $500 for it right now. Nice profit for you on a fake watch." I just kept walking without saying anything else.

Obviously the guy could tell it was genuine, but from literally 15 feet away while walking this took me by total surprise. I love the watch, but actually don't really care for the attention that it definitely attracts. If it keeps up like this, the SuperOcean might be returned to daily wear and the Rolex left for special occasions.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:36   #131
GlockinNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post

Obviously the guy could tell it was genuine, but from literally 15 feet away while walking this took me by total surprise. I love the watch, but actually don't really care for the attention that it definitely attracts. If it keeps up like this, the SuperOcean might be returned to daily wear and the Rolex left for special occasions.
and that's the problem with nice watches - you can become a target by wearing one. I don't own a Rolex but if I did, I would limit myself to wearing it someplace safe, like work. I would never wear it walking around NYC for example.
GlockinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:41   #132
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexHead View Post
The dial and the bezel insert are solid Platinum. The lugs are curved differently than on a Sub, so the watch wears flatter. All the links are solid. The Sub I had before was very light weight in comparison, this weighs as much as a Panerai I had. I like that it's actually kind of stealthy in that it doesn't look like a Sub. And I love the red lettering, a nod to some of the most collectable Rolexes, and the red second hand.
That watch is gorgeous. I love how the steel dial looks with that bezel. Those lugs were actually why I was originally looking for a pre 2010 Sub. They match the curves of the watch so much better than the new versions wider lugs.

Last edited by Roger1079; 09-29-2012 at 06:43..
Old 09-29-2012, 06:41   #133
HexHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
To each, his own opinion. I don't like Hi-points or Invictas either, but I'm not going to try to tell you not to post them.
At least Invicta is a legitimate brand that stands on it's own. I have far more respect for someone that wears a Sub looking Invicta than a fake Rolex.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:43   #134
HexHead

Quote:
The watch is gorgeous. I love how the steel dial looks with that bezel.
The dial is solid platinum.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:47   #135
Roger1079

Quote:
The dial is solid platinum.
I know. I was referring to the color of the dial with that bezel. Rolex refers to the dial color as "steel". You definitely know your history too. The Sea Dwellers you are referring to with the red text on the dial are some of the most sought after watches that the company has ever produced.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:58   #136
HexHead

Quote:
You know, I like Rolex watches but I'm not sure I'd ever want to wear one. From what I've heard, they have an un-rivaled penchant for attracting unwanted attention (Thugs, dumasses, etc.) I think I'd rather have something like an Omega Seamaster or a Tag Heuer. They are arguably just as nice but they don't attract near the attention that a Rolex would.
I've been wearing Rolexes since 1983, my YachtMaster is my fifth one. In all that time, I've has one person ask if it was a real one. It was a mid-size DateJust (which you practically never see) which might have prompted the question. I purposely bought that one because it was stealthier than the typical DateJust. I've had two people comment about my current one. One was a guy that had just gotten one of the new DateJust II models, and the other was a guy wearing a TT GMT that was thinking about trading up. So much for all that attention they draw.
Omega makes a nice watch, at one point between my wife and I we had nine of them. Granted, they've stepped up their game with the Co-axial movements, but I never had one that ran as well as any of my Rolexes. Not in terms of accuracy nor power reserve. And to compare a Tag to a Rolex is just, well laughable.

Of all the watches I've had, this is the one that garnered the most attention and comments...

The Okie Corral

Absolutely, the most comfortable bracelet ever, too.

Last edited by HexHead; 09-29-2012 at 09:27..
Old 09-29-2012, 07:15   #137
Roger1079

Quote:
At least Invicta is a legitimate brand that stands on it's own. I have far more respect for someone that wears a Sub looking Invicta than a fake Rolex.
Agreed. Invicta also has a few models that are similar in appearance to the Breitling for Bentley line. As the saying goes, imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

That being said, I would take ANY Invicta over a fake rolex.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:52   #138
2-8 Marine
Limp Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed Five Oh View Post
Invicta Pro Diver Automatic.

Looks like a Rolex Submariner.

Costs 1/50th of the rolex.

Keeps better time than the rolex.

Blondes can't tell the difference.

Makes submariner owners stomp their hankies.
But in fact it IS NOT a Submariner.

There are three types of people in the world; those that can count and those that can't.
2-8 Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:07   #139
cgjane

[QUOTE=fnfalman;19466812]Seadweller 4000. I can dig it.[/QUOTE

I love the seadweller, it's my favorite Rolex:
The Okie Corral

Never had the itch for a submariner because I have a 1966 Tudor snowflake:
The Okie Corral

And the only Omega I own:
The Okie Corral

Last edited by cgjane; 09-29-2012 at 08:10..
cgjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:13   #140
2-8 Marine
Limp Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed Five Oh View Post
I see, so everythiing being equal, you would rather pay more for the name.

Makes sense. NOT!!!!!!

Sigmund Freud had a theory about people like that.
Do you really believe when you purchase a high end, quality product that's been around for years and sells millions steadily for those years that you're only paying for the name? ie: Rolex is exactly like a Timex except for the name.

There are three types of people in the world; those that can count and those that can't.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:17   #141
JDennis

It depends on what I am doing on what watch I wear. Have 2 Breitlings for work, a tag I never wear anymore, a tissot and my beater watch and one of my favorites a Reactor. The reactor is a beast and lifetime warrantied against breaking (other than the crystal) and was only a few hundred bucks. And believe it or not, get way more compliments from non-watch aficianado's on the tissot and reactor than the Breitlings.

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

Last edited by JDennis; 09-29-2012 at 08:25..
JDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:30   #142
2-8 Marine
Limp Member

Quote:
Yeah Invicta's aren't outright knockoffs of Rolex but it's obvious what they are trying to look like. That's fine. The Rolex Submariner is a really cool looking but still elegant design but not everyone can afford one. I was referring more to outright counterfits of Rolex, which is what I thought you were talking about at first. Then I read back a little further. I wasn't talking about Invicta.

You know, I like Rolex watches but I'm not sure I'd ever want to wear one. From what I've heard, they have an un-rivaled penchant for attracting unwanted attention (Thugs, dumasses, etc.) I think I'd rather have something like an Omega Seamaster or a Tag Heuer. They are arguably just as nice but they don't attract near the attention that a Rolex would.

With all respect, what you've heard is wrong. I've worn a Rolex of one type or another everyday for the past 30 years and on only TWO occasions has anyone noticed that I was wearing a Rolex. Yes, I've heard occasional comments like "nice watch" and such but only twice was it actually recognized as being a Rolex. Most people won't recognize a Rolex when they do see one. In all your travels and dealings with people yesterday, how many times did you notice anyones watch? Unless you're into watches, probably the answer is none.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:36   #143
Rancher

Just got a new Rolex Sub c SS date within the last month or so. Thanks to the folks here for pointing me to TRF, great place to buy. It is my second Sub, got my first when I was a 23 yo. LEO. Had sold it my wifes last year of medical school after wearing it for years to help buy a new vehicle. Think I made around $900 on the sale. So glad to have another on my wrist, like having an old friend back in my life. Really like the improvements/changes on the new Sub's.

I also have a Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish X-Plus with the professional one series bracelet collecting dust for now. Nice watch, just not a Sub. I have a nice $400 Luminox that is also stainless I wear with a Zulu strap on occasion, nice watch. Running and swimming I wear a Timex Ironman.

Been a "watch guy" since age 12 when I got my first Citizen, always a diver style. Guess it is hard for some to understand. Scum will try and rob you for anything, but hopefully CC will prevent any issues! I am not going to not wear something or drive something out of fear. Just not in my DNA. Weird reading on a gun board how some are afraid to do or wear something out of fear of it being taken from them.

Rancher
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:42   #144
2-8 Marine
Limp Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockinNJ View Post
and that's the problem with nice watches - you can become a target by wearing one. I don't own a Rolex but if I did, I would limit myself to wearing it someplace safe, like work. I would never wear it walking around NYC for example.
and that's the problem with nice cars - you can become a target by driving one. I don't own a BMW but if I did, I would limit myself to driving it someplace safe, like work. I would never drive it around NYC for example.

Ridiculous!

Old 09-29-2012, 08:48   #145
07 LMB Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCav View Post
current go-to favorite

The Okie Corral
Nice! I've been trying to decide whether I want that watch (but non-UTC with rubber strap) for a while now - can't make up my mind.

Currently wear this:

The Okie Corral

Last edited by 07 LMB Z06; 09-29-2012 at 08:49..
07 LMB Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:52   #146
Marine123

Quote:
Watches have become just as weak of a point for me over the years as guns.

I have had 2 Breitlings. One Chrono SuperOcean and a Navitimer World (The Navitimer was just recently sold) and this past week I picked up a brand spanking new 2012 SS Rolex Submariner Date. I also have a Luminox 3081.BO for the manual labor.

Anyone else with a similar addiction? I would love to know I'm not the only one with a second ridiculously expensive hobby.
Yes I am guilty, I used to collect watches, I had about 12 but my economic status right now doesn't allow me to buy more I had to sell a couple. :(

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Marine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:23   #147
Rustydude

Nope, no watch, don't need one. my wife will let me know what time it is. such as, it's time to go to work, its time to walk the dog, its time to fix the garage door, its time to stop at her mothers...... when she is not around, I can simply ask the Girlfriend what time it is
Rustydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:32   #148
professorpinki
Bumbling idjit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-8 Marine View Post
[/B]

With all respect, what you've heard is wrong. I've worn a Rolex of one type or another everyday for the past 30 years and on only TWO occasions has anyone noticed that I was wearing a Rolex. Yes, I've heard occasional comments like "nice watch" and such but only twice was it actually recognized as being a Rolex. Most people won't recognize a Rolex when they do see one. In all your travels and dealings with people yesterday, how many times did you notice anyones watch? Unless you're into watches, probably the answer is none.
Some people consider it common courtesy to not point out the fact that someone is wearing a watch of significant value, just like some people consider it to be common courtesy to not remark on the abundance or lack of abundance of money in someone else's wallet at the check out line... but people do notice.

Last edited by professorpinki; 09-29-2012 at 09:32..
professorpinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:41   #149
Leigh

Quote:
Outside of their overly large models, Invicta has copied every other watch on the planet. Not bashing them, just a simple fact.

I own a dozen or so watches, one being an Invicta 'Sub homage' but they are what they are; inexpensive timepeices.

I also wear Timex Expeditions and cheap Casio G-Shocks...it's all good.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:42   #150
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Actually unless my sarcasm detector is broken all of a sudden, I think that entire post was quite full of it.
He pulls that crap most every time we have a watch thread here.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote