SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-20-2012, 00:19   #1
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

What is your favorite brass for reloading .223 and why?

I have a ton of Lake City brass and Prvi (PPU headstamp). Then just a little Remington, Federal, PMP, etc...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:23   #2
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

I'm fine with the major brands for general purpose. LC, Remington, Hornady, Winchester. I don't care for Federal brass in .223. For target loads, I just use the same headstamp in the batch. I don't spring for Lapua because it's too expensive for my needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:56   #3
Hoser
Mall Ninja

Lake City for most of my rifles is fine. A huge majority of the 223 that I shoot is through an AR-15 or my M-16RR.

My 223 bolt gun for Prairie Dogs and Coyotes is actually a 223 Ackley. I use Lapua brass for it.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:04   #4
F106 Fan

Most of the brass I had laying around was Federal and it has worked fine. I just bought a few thousand mixed once-fired and I have no idea what they are. Don't care...

For my AR-15, anything will do. It's not going to shoot much better than 2 MOA regardless of what I do. With an inconsistent 8-10# trigger, I have no great expectations.

Now, for my .223 precision stuff, I have been using those same Federal cases. Since my grandson can shoot about 1-1/2" group at 300 yards with a Savage Long Range Precision Varmint and a somewhat dubious scope, I have no issue with the brass. But I want to keep the AR brass separate.

So, for precision loads, I will buy a couple of hundred Lapua cases. It's not like I'll ever load multiple thousands of the precision stuff.

Richard
Old 08-20-2012, 07:10   #5
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Federal cases are too thin in the case head, loose primer pockets and other problem with weakness. Remington cases are too soft and the rims get pulled out of shape or torn. Winchester cases seem pretty good. Hornady cases are the same as Winchester cases. Nosler cases are the same as Federal cases.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:29   #6
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozer View Post
Lake City for most of my rifles is fine. A huge majority of the 223 that I shoot is through an AR-15 or my M-16RR.

My 223 bolt gun for Prairie Dogs and Coyotes is actually a 223 Ackley. I use Lapua brass for it.
I use primarily LC along IMI, and Federal brass. All my brass is acquired free mostly once fired from ranges, matches and friends. We get alot of LEO's at our Tac rifle matches and squading up with them you can clean up.
Reloading

Hozer, do you find significant improvements in using Lapua brass for your bolt gun? I've been debating if the results would justify the cost.
&
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 13:07   #7
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Lake City is my favorite. Remington is the most convenient because they aren't crimped.
Old 08-20-2012, 13:55   #8
Hoser
Mall Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
Hozer, do you find significant improvements in using Lapua brass for your bolt gun? I've been debating if the results would justify the cost.
When shooting at small targets out to 500-600 yards, yes it is worth it.

I figure 500 pcs of brass will last the life of my barrel shooting 55gn Blitzkings or Ballistic Tips and 75 gn AMAXs.
Old 08-20-2012, 14:19   #9
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozer View Post
When shooting at small targets out to 500-600 yards, yes it is worth it.

I figure 500 pcs of brass will last the life of my barrel shooting 55gn Blitzkings or Ballistic Tips and 75 gn AMAXs.
It would be kinda nice to just have one type of brass for the bolt only, and if you say it makes a difference. I certainly take your word for it.
Are you annealing the .223 Lapua? How often?
&
Old 08-20-2012, 18:11   #10
Pardoner

Gov surplus 5.56 brass....

Why, because I have more than 2000 lbs of it.
Pardoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 19:23   #11
dkf

I take it Norma brass is up to par with Lapua?
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 19:39   #12
Hoser
Mall Ninja

Quote:
It would be kinda nice to just have one type of brass for the bolt only, and if you say it makes a difference. I certainly take your word for it.
Are you annealing the .223 Lapua? How often?
I anneal my 338 Lapua and 50 BMG brass every reload. 308, 260 and 243 every other reload. 223 and 223 Ackley, every three to four reloads. 300 Whisper, when I feel like it. And that isnt that often. I made 500 cases of 300 Whisper out of Lapua brass for my Whisper bolt gun. (223 AI / 300 Whisper switch barrel) I annealed them just cause I could.
Old 08-20-2012, 19:40   #13
Hoser
Mall Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
I take it Norma brass is up to par with Lapua?
It is a little softer, but excellent quality.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:50   #14
shotgunred
reloading nut

The free brass I pick up at the tac rifle matches. Why it is all once fired and free.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:23   #15
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

OK, Thread resurface time...

I received 200 pieces of Lapua .223 match brass as a birthday gift and I am gonna get at least another 100 to rotate through my bolt gun. I'm really happy that I won't have to deal with sorting through all my mixed brass anymore that will strictly be dedicated to the AR and training match loads.

Questions:
1.) Should I FL resize and resize and then form fire? I will then neck size with a Lee collet die, for 4 firings?
2.) Annealing? after 4 firings what method? I'm thinking manually using electric drill and socket with 450 templaq (should I even bother with Templag?).
2. After annealing, would FL sizing and trim with my 650 and RT1200B be OK to start the process again?

calling Hoser
&

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 09-28-2012 at 12:24..
Old 09-28-2012, 13:26   #16
fredj338

I'll shoot anything in my ARs. If I ran a precision bolt gun, I would feed ti Lapua or RWS or Norma first.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:09   #17
Hoser
Mall Ninja

Quote:
calling Hoser
I would not run Lapua 223 in a AR-15 unless I am shooting at small targets at 600 yards with a very accurate rifle.

Save the Lapua brass for your bolt gun.

If you anneal, without a doubt use Templaq. I would not anneal until maybe your 4th or 5th reload.

I completely FL resize all virgin brass. Cant hurt and might help, sets everything to square one.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:33   #18
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
I would not run Lapua 223 in a AR-15 unless I am shooting at small targets at 600 yards with a very accurate rifle.

Save the Lapua brass for your bolt gun.

If you anneal, without a doubt use Templaq. I would not anneal until maybe your 4th or 5th reload.

I completely FL resize all virgin brass. Cant hurt and might help, sets everything to square one.
Exactly the info I need. I'll only be using this for my bolt gun, no worries there. Thanks Hoser
&