SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:35   #51
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

I just check my phone.

Ive never had a fancy expensive watch before though, those might fit comfortably. Maybe someday ill geta aweome watch, a friend and i went and checked a bunch out once, the rolexes are sweet with the smooth second hand travel. I can always dream
Old 09-28-2012, 09:36   #52
HexHead

Been on my wrist every day for the last 3years, 5days....

The Okie Corral

And you guys that just use your cell phones, it's the modern equivalent of the pocket watch. And just as convenient.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:46   #53
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

But way more confortable and i already have it on my, no need to add an unconfortable thing onto my wrist.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:49   #54
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexHead View Post
Very nice. The Yachtmaster is an underappreciated model. Never understood what the fuss was until I tried one on.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:50   #55
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
But way more confortable and i already have it on my, no need to add an unconfortable thing onto my wrist.
A watch isn't uncomfortable at all. Even a heavy watch only weighs a couple of ounces.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:50   #56
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-8 Marine View Post
Good for you and great choice. I too own a Submariner but in two-tone stainless/18K gold, with blue dial and bezel. I also bought a stainless, Sub C for my Son.
Its very strange but you'll likely find many of the same folk on GT that will drop a bundle on a high end pistol/rifle/shotgun/automobile/motorcycle/boat, etc, will complain or even condemn someone who appreciates a quality, high end watch purchasing same. Go figure. Personally, I don't get it.
Well, I wasn't going to post on this thread, but you've inspired me. You don't get it? Why we'll spend money on an awesome gun, but not a fancy watch? Well listen up:

1. I have no need for a watch. Clocks are all around me everywhere I go. They're on my computer (I can see the time right now, for example). They're in the halls where I work. They're in meeting rooms on the wall. Etc, etc. They're on my cell phone, there is a clock in my car. Worst case scenerio, I ask somebody nearby, they pull out their phone, and tell me. Basically, there is no need to own a watch. Whereas with guns, there often is a VERY REAL need.

2. A cheap watch works just as well as an expensive one. They both tell you the time of day. I can buy a cheap watch for ten bucks. Sure, it might break in a couple years. Buy a new one. You can't say the same thing for guns. Cheap ones are less accurate, and far more likely to malfunction.

3. In today's modern society, I don't want to be constantly reminded of what time it is. I've got enough stress in my life without having the time staring at me from my own arm. If I want to know what time it is, I'll find out (as mentioned in #1, I can look at a computer, or a clock, or ask someone). I think that not worrying so much about time can actually lower your stress, which contributes to quality of life and may even extend your life. Win win. If I need to be somewhere at a certain time, I plan for it, and keep track of time. Easy to do.

4. For special functions, they can be useful. I do have a watch with GPS for running. It set me back a hundred bucks. But it is a great tool for my workouts. I also wear it while I'm coaching soccer games.

5. Based on 1-4 above, a logical observer can see that while some things like guns, cars, etc, serve very practical purposes, and buying a good one will give very different results than buying a cheap one (compare my volvo xc wagon to your Ford Fiesta for example), shelling out a bunch of money on a fancy watch serves no real purpose. A five or ten dollar watch will tell you exactly the same time as your five thousand dollar watch. Expensive watches are simply jewelry.

I'm not condemning or complaining about people who buy expensive jewelry, but you need to own up to what it is. It is a luxury item that has very little useful purpose. Some people like those. Fine. Maybe you can impress your friends. Impress the ladies. But that is all it is, just a way to show off to people.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Louisville Glocker; 09-28-2012 at 09:52..
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:53   #57
hpracing007

My daily is a Seiko my mom gave me like... 12 years ago. Keeps great time. I use the chrono everyday, whatever watch I get next has to have one.

Last edited by hpracing007; 09-28-2012 at 09:54..
hpracing007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:54   #58
phil evans

let the smugness begin - again.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:57   #59
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Glocker View Post
Well, I wasn't going to post on this thread, but you've inspired me.
How many times have we had this thread? I only ask because I'm curious if you cut-and-pasted this response, or actually typed it out. Looks like most of the usual suspects are here already, anyway, except Yo.

Quote:
1. I have no need for a watch. Clocks are all around me everywhere I go.
Good for you.

I go plenty of places where there aren't any clocks. I suppose in some of those places I could hang some (like next to my shower, for example, I don't have any clocks in the bathroom) but it's easier just to bring my watch since I'm already wearing it.

Quote:
Basically, there is no need to own a watch. Whereas with guns, there often is a VERY REAL need.
I'd argue with the modifier "often"--other than my time in the military, I have never ever "needed" a gun. More than once, I've "needed" a watch on a hike or climb.

Quote:
2. A cheap watch works just as well as an expensive one.
Actually, often better.

Quote:
3. In today's modern society, I don't want to be constantly reminded of what time it is. I've got enough stress in my life without having the time staring at me from my own arm.
I'm far more stressed out if I have to worry about whether I'm late or not, but to each his own I guess.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:22   #60
podwich

Quote:
Well, I wasn't going to post on this thread, but you've inspired me. You don't get it? Why we'll spend money on an awesome gun, but not a fancy watch? Well listen up:

1. I have no need for a watch. Clocks are all around me everywhere I go. They're on my computer (I can see the time right now, for example). They're in the halls where I work. They're in meeting rooms on the wall. Etc, etc. They're on my cell phone, there is a clock in my car. Worst case scenerio, I ask somebody nearby, they pull out their phone, and tell me. Basically, there is no need to own a watch. Whereas with guns, there often is a VERY REAL need.

2. A cheap watch works just as well as an expensive one. They both tell you the time of day. I can buy a cheap watch for ten bucks. Sure, it might break in a couple years. Buy a new one. You can't say the same thing for guns. Cheap ones are less accurate, and far more likely to malfunction.

3. In today's modern society, I don't want to be constantly reminded of what time it is. I've got enough stress in my life without having the time staring at me from my own arm. If I want to know what time it is, I'll find out (as mentioned in #1, I can look at a computer, or a clock, or ask someone). I think that not worrying so much about time can actually lower your stress, which contributes to quality of life and may even extend your life. Win win. If I need to be somewhere at a certain time, I plan for it, and keep track of time. Easy to do.

4. For special functions, they can be useful. I do have a watch with GPS for running. It set me back a hundred bucks. But it is a great tool for my workouts. I also wear it while I'm coaching soccer games.

5. Based on 1-4 above, a logical observer can see that while some things like guns, cars, etc, serve very practical purposes, and buying a good one will give very different results than buying a cheap one (compare my volvo xc wagon to your Ford Fiesta for example), shelling out a bunch of money on a fancy watch serves no real purpose. A five or ten dollar watch will tell you exactly the same time as your five thousand dollar watch. Expensive watches are simply jewelry.

I'm not condemning or complaining about people who buy expensive jewelry, but you need to own up to what it is. It is a luxury item that has very little useful purpose. Some people like those. Fine. Maybe you can impress your friends. Impress the ladies. But that is all it is, just a way to show off to people.

Enjoy.
You spend your money on what you value. It's simply that.

You find a thread in which people post about some nice stuff they have and you react with...whatever it is you just posted. This says a lot about you. If you post something nice that you bought with your money (whether car, gun, watch, house, ring, whatever), I'm going to respond with something congratulatory. I'm not going to interject my opinion on how I'd never spend my money on that, it's pointless, you're a showoff, etc.

In short, get over yourself.
podwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:26   #61
harlenm

This is what I've worn for the last few months.

The Okie Corral
harlenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:26   #62
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

Quote:

Enjoy.
Ever think that the very same computer, cell phone, and meeting rooms are creating/causing FAR more stress than wearing a watch?
Old 09-28-2012, 10:34   #63
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

People that say people have expensive watches just to show off. They say a $20 watch is just as good as a $10k watch. They say they have a clock on their cell phone.

Most likely the very same people with the latest iPhone/Android whizbang cellular device. Would the cheap ass pay-as-you-go phone not allow you to make calls?

It amazes me, that people will poo-poo you for spending your money how you see fit, yet get so defensive when someone poo-poo's them.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:39   #64
*ASH*

own alot of watches , but been wearing my Halios Puck for months .
Old 09-28-2012, 10:45   #65
2-8 Marine
Limp Member

Quote:

2. A cheap watch works just as well as an expensive one. They both tell you the time of day. I can buy a
cheap watch for ten bucks. Sure, it might break in a couple years. Buy a new one. You can't say the same thing for guns. Cheap ones are less accurate, and far more likely to malfunction.

Enjoy.
Wow! All that to explain why YOU don't wear an expensive watch. You must have a lot of time on your hands. Unfortunately You missed my point entirely.
You don't want an expensive watch, Okay. Don't buy one. I got no beef with that. But Why cry and moan and piss on the idea that someone else might enjoy having, owning and wearing one? I think your last paragraph and especially the last line describes your attitude quite well. And, YES you are "Condeming and Complaining". You don't want one so why should anyone else. The world is not all about YOU! But, thanks . . . you missed my point but have proven it perfectly.

There are three types of people in the world; those that can count and those that can't.
2-8 Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:50   #66
2-8 Marine
Limp Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntmedik View Post
People that say people have expensive watches just to show off. They say a $20 watch is just as good as a $10k watch. They say they have a clock on their cell phone.

Most likely the very same people with the latest iPhone/Android whizbang cellular device. Would the cheap ass pay-as-you-go phone not allow you to make calls?

It amazes me, that people will poo-poo you for spending your money how you see fit, yet get so defensive when someone poo-poo's them.
Thank you Sir, my point exactly.

There are three types of people in the world; those that can count and those that can't.
2-8 Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:41   #67
roger123

Rolex Submariner that my wife got me for our 25th wedding anniversary. Love it.

The Okie Corral
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:28   #68
GlockinNJ

Quote:

The Okie Corral

That's a gorgeous watch. Maybe someday...
GlockinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:35   #69
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Do you wear two wedding rings?

Do you carry two guns?

Do you load-balance your pockets?
It isn't the watch causing his imbalance........
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:50   #70
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:

The Okie Corral

And you guys that just use your cell phones, it's the modern equivalent of the pocket watch. And just as convenient.
That is very nice. It would look nice on my wrist.

hey, whaddya know? It does look nice on my wrist.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 09-28-2012 at 12:51..
Old 09-28-2012, 12:53   #71
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:

Enjoy.
Maybe one day, if you can swing it, you'll change your mind and buy a decent watch.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:54   #72
Skeet732
NRA Life Member

I've worn a watch 24/7/365 for 50 years. My father would by a watch ~Timex-type and if I liked it a lot , he'd just take it off his wrist and give to me, still makes me smile and he's been dead 26 years. Currently I'm wearing a Omega Seamaster Chronometer. Two more Omegas and a Swatch watch at home. The watch my father wore in WW II and my godfather's gold pocket watch in the gun safe. I actually don't give a flying ******** what anyone thinks about the watch I wear
Skeet732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:59   #73
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-8 Marine View Post
Thank you Sir, my point exactly.
Old 09-28-2012, 13:01   #74
fowl intent

I have a couple of old Seamasters, a TAG, and a few Invictas, but I have worn a Citizen Ecodrive for the past 3 years, and probably will continue wearing it until it wears out, or the sun stops shining.
fowl intent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 13:07   #75
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagrat View Post
The kind of chick that'll drop drawers for a Rolex wearer will probably have a dose of cupid's measles.
Wrap that rascal.