Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-26-2012, 19:38   #1
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Ubuntu 12.04 Launcher Autohide Issues

I've researched this for the better part of the day and I can't seem to find the cure.

I can no longer autohide the launcher and then get it to reappear again using the mouse. I know it's there as I catch a glimpse of the animation when minimizing windows but I can no longer place the mouse on the left edge or alternately the left corner and get it to reappear. I can use the super key to bring it up.

A recent upgrade included a new Nvidia update which doesn't appear to have changed anything. I have recently installed Docky and Wine.

I've turned off Docky to see if that was affecting things but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I have the Unity plugin checked under Compiz and I've lowered the reveals and sensitivities to no avail. I have tried changing these settings in My Unity and Ubuntu Tweak. I've re-installed all the packages under the package manager.

I'm not sure what to try next. Any suggestions?

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:56   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix View Post
I've researched this for the better part of the day and I can't seem to find the cure.

I can no longer autohide the launcher and then get it to reappear again using the mouse. I know it's there as I catch a glimpse of the animation when minimizing windows but I can no longer place the mouse on the left edge or alternately the left corner and get it to reappear. I can use the super key to bring it up.

A recent upgrade included a new Nvidia update which doesn't appear to have changed anything. I have recently installed Docky and Wine.

I've turned off Docky to see if that was affecting things but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I have the Unity plugin checked under Compiz and I've lowered the reveals and sensitivities to no avail. I have tried changing these settings in My Unity and Ubuntu Tweak. I've re-installed all the packages under the package manager.

I'm not sure what to try next. Any suggestions?
Hmm, I'm not sure on that one (I don't autohide, and just dock the side bar). I don't think Docky would make any settings changes like that, but now that I think about it, it's entirely possible. You'll probably just have to go through the settings individually, and try to figure out what it changed.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:12   #3
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Hmm, I'm not sure on that one (I don't autohide, and just dock the side bar). I don't think Docky would make any settings changes like that, but now that I think about it, it's entirely possible. You'll probably just have to go through the settings individually, and try to figure out what it changed.
Yep.. I've gone through everything I can think of and now I'm having problems getting it to wake up from the screen saver and other anomalies.

I think it's time to nuke it from orbit and do a fresh install. I don't have the time, patience or knowledge to do much more than I have at this point... the learning continues.

Old 09-27-2012, 14:47   #4
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

One thing I will always praise Ubuntu for is ease of install.

Took all of 23 minutes to format the appropriate partition, complete a fresh install and set everything up the way I like it. I spent WAY more time trying to go through all my tweaks and search for answers on the net.

Old 09-27-2012, 15:04   #5
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
One thing I will always praise Ubuntu for is ease of install.

Took all of 23 minutes to format the appropriate partition, complete a fresh install and set everything up the way I like it. I spent WAY more time trying to go through all my tweaks and search for answers on the net.
I've been there, believe me... and I totally agree.

Did you reinstall Docky, and if you did, did it result in the same problem?

IGF
Old 09-27-2012, 15:08   #6
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
I've been there, believe me... and I totally agree.

Did you reinstall Docky, and if you did, did it result in the same problem?

IGF
I did, the only thing I haven't re-installed was Wine. Everything is running the way it should.

It's odd, I only installed it to play some Starcraft the day prior. Now I'm hesitant to try again

Old 09-27-2012, 16:00   #7
NMGlocker
BOOM headshot

For the casual user Ubuntu/Linux is great, right up until something screws up then it's a royal PITA.
I switched a laptop over from Win7 to Ubuntu to use as a internet surfing machine, works great with no worries about malware. But like you, I found that if something doesn't work it's time to format and reinstall.
Old 09-27-2012, 16:08   #8
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGlocker View Post
For the casual user Ubuntu/Linux is great, right up until something screws up then it's a royal PITA.
I switched a laptop over from Win7 to Ubuntu to use as a internet surfing machine, works great with no worries about malware. But like you, I found that if something doesn't work it's time to format and reinstall.

This is the first re-install I've done since ten point sumtin.

I've had great luck with the forums addressing weirdo issues.

I blame this entirely on me, I did a LOT of tweaking and meddling and broke it.

Nothing changes I've spent a life time changing things trying to make them better

Old 09-27-2012, 16:37   #9
NMGlocker
BOOM headshot

I've played with Ubuntu off and on since 9.1
When everything works it's great, but when it's "broke" it sucks (especially if your geek days are behind you and all you want to do is plug and play).
Old 09-27-2012, 16:51   #10
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
I've played with Ubuntu off and on since 9.1
When everything works it's great, but when it's "broke" it sucks (especially if your geek days are behind you and all you want to do is plug and play).
Honestly, I've had less issues with Ubuntu than I've had with Windows and it's almost always my fault

I've never had a virus, I've been online since Christ developed the US Robotics 300 baud modem but I insist on using beta software and customizing.

I'm not a power user, I need a word processor, spreadsheet, email and internet. I bet I'm pretty close to the majority user. Everything I need can be had for libre

Old 09-27-2012, 18:48   #11
NMGlocker
BOOM headshot

Never tried to get a Dell laptop wireless card recognized by Ubuntu (pre-12.04) ehh?
Exercise in frustration.
Old 09-27-2012, 18:54   #12
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Never tried to get a Dell laptop wireless card recognized by Ubuntu (pre-12.04) ehh?
Exercise in frustration.
Nor sir I have not

Old 09-28-2012, 08:18   #13
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Exercise in frustration.
Hmm, Most of them are Broadcom's if I recall. *Most* Broadcom's work quite well starting around Ubuntu 10.04, as Ubuntu put the restricted driver and firmware in the repositories and you could easily install them via the "Additional Driver Manager"

IGF
Old 09-28-2012, 15:02   #14
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Hmm, Most of them are Broadcom's if I recall. *Most* Broadcom's work quite well starting around Ubuntu 10.04, as Ubuntu put the restricted driver and firmware in the repositories and you could easily install them via the "Additional Driver Manager"

IGF
When you helped me with one of my installs, one of the things you lead me through was the broadcom drivers install. I politely followed everything you told me to do, but the truth is I already knew that part. I'm pretty computer illiterate but I was able to find the broadcom solutions through a quick google search and successfully get it done on a prior occasion. I just wanted to get that off my chest

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 20:47   #15
MySiK26

Send a message via AIM to MySiK26

Quote:

IGF
You recall correctly, sir. You have helped me with this, as well, when I first got started with Linux on an old Dell, I believe it was with Ubuntu 10.04 too. I'm actually taking a Linux class this semester

Last edited by MySiK26; 10-02-2012 at 20:48..
MySiK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 20:54   #16
MySiK26

Send a message via AIM to MySiK26

Quote:

I'm running 12.04 as a virtual machine, with Docky installed on it. Before I installed Docky, the auto-hide feature worked fine. After installing Docky, sometimes it pops out just pulling the mouse over it, and sometimes I have to keep pushing the mouse to the left to make it pop out. And sooometimes... I have to hit "super" just to make it pop out, otherwise, it stays hidden completely. I've got most of what I need down on Docky, and I've gotten used to just hitting "super" when I want the launcher. It was kind of irritating at first, but I'm over it.
MySiK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 21:16   #17
Linux3

It's been years since I had to nuke and re-install because of a problem. Think of it as a learning experience.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/14553...-not-come-back

I think the reason users are so willing to do a re-install is because it's so dead easy but where's the learning curve in that?

Back to the Broadcom issue. That was a problem with proprietary drivers and not a fault of Linux. I was the person responsible for purchasing a lot of Dell laptops, hundreds, and I never had a problem because I spec'd Intel wireless cards. lol

Also NVidia graphics.

Anyway, just because Ubuntu is so easy to install and configure don't give up so easy. Usually the fixes are surprisingly easy too. Google around, even if you don't find your solution you will learn a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Linux3; 10-02-2012 at 21:17..
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote