SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-27-2012, 20:47   #41
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
You don't take advice very well and bought a bunch of stuff that really isn't going to serve you well in the long term or that you don't even need. Pretty much everything but the press and the manual and maybe the powder measure.
Understood. I considered things are did lots of Internet reading... Many people have started out with stuff like this as I've observed on the Internet, and they appear to be pleased. Of course it's shoestring way to go, but for me it was a way to give it a whirl. If I really like it and find it to be financially beneficial for me, I'll step up the setup and chalk some of it up to education... The dies and such are usable if I eventually choose to go to a Turret press and such so really the scale is probably the biggest waste at worst.
Old 09-27-2012, 20:52   #42
fredj338

Good luck, keep us posted. Keep in mind advice is free, but knowledge is priceless. Take advantage of those that know more than you. That goes for everything in life.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 21:36   #43
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
Curious about why to lube cases? I never lube pistol cases.

With carbide dies it is optional on a press with a lot of mechanical advantage. The OP is using a little hand press.

Even on a large press, the entire process is smoother with the lube. I loaded pistol for a lot of years without lube but after I started using Hornady One Shot, I won't be doing it any more.

The thing about HOS is that it is an aerosol spray and it isn't like the RCBS lube that came with my first press. That stuff was sticky and generally unpleasant to use. HOS is more like spray lanolin.

There is no need to remove it from the completed round. Just shoot 'em.

Richard
Old 09-27-2012, 21:46   #44
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
With carbide dies it is optional on a press with a lot of mechanical advantage. The OP is using a little hand press.

Richard
Great point there, actually.

Thanks.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 21:56   #45
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYT 2BER View Post
I'm sure you're right and ill get there sooner than later... Just couldn't swing that much for scale yet... I'll load light to avoid any problems, but I'll step up to something more appropriate like you've described when getting more "aggresive" with charges.
How are you going to know you are loading light?

We just went through this with another new user:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...m#post19377225

Start at page 4

At the very minimum you need a set of RCBS Check Weights to validate the scale.

It's not my business how you reload so there's no reason for me to rant on about the scale. So, I won't...

But you have been warned by others. It would be best if you paid attention.

Richard
Old 09-28-2012, 07:03   #46
Colorado4Wheel

Other then the dies, if you start actual producing ammo regularly, you won't use any of that stuff for pistol in the future.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:18   #47
RYT 2BER

Quote:
How are you going to know you are loading light?

We just went through this with another new user:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...m#post19377225

Start at page 4

At the very minimum you need a set of RCBS Check Weights to validate the scale.

It's not my business how you reload so there's no reason for me to rant on about the scale. So, I won't...

But you have been warned by others. It would be best if you paid attention.

Richard

The scale is a Frankford Arsenal and it comes with a calibration weight

Furthermore, the scale gets excellent reviews:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/175...24BrandPopProd

Thats literally hundreds of reviewers,the majority of which seem to be very pleased. Doesnt make it a sure thing, but again, just because it isnt very expensive doesnt mean its a disaster either...

With all due respect, if it was that bad, you'd be hearing about people like this blowing up and kb'ing all over the place.

I go to ranges all the time... Ive yet to see a kb in person, and Ive yet to have anyone Ive ever shot with ever report it. Its something Ive only seen in pictures on the internet. Again, that doesnt mean it cant happen but with all due respect, you guys are describing it like its a sure thing with this scale.

Last edited by RYT 2BER; 09-28-2012 at 08:24..
RYT 2BER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:42   #48
F106 Fan

Quote:
Every digital scale comes with a 'calibration' weight. For many scales, the calibration weight is somewhere near the end of the range. This scale goes to 750 grains so I would expect the calibration weight to be about 100 times larger than what would actually be measured.

Check weights, OTOH, are much closer to powder charge weights. If I am measuring a 42.2 gr charge, I want a 50 gr check weight. With a combination of smaller weights, I could also set the check weight to 40.0 gr.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSe...+check+weights

A calibration weight is necessary to check the range of the scale but it provides no assurance that the scale reads correctly in the area of interest.

Your choice on the scale. Did you read the part where one user pointed out that it can't be used to trickle charge?

And yes, when I was loading a few rifle rounds yesterday, I did indeed use a check weight of 50 gr on my RCBS ChargeMaster and the Dillon D-Terminator I use as a second check. I want the charge to be as consistent as possible with a digital scale. The goal is to put all the shiny bullets in the same hole.

Richard
Old 09-28-2012, 09:09   #49
ColoCG

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice.... I know it might not have been perfect but here was the final order:

PH393939 UNIVERSAL RELOADING TRAY $5.99 1 $5.99
LEE90101 LEE PRIMER POCKET CLEANER $2.49 1 $2.49
LEE90100 LEE IMP. POWDER MEASURE KIT $7.99 1 $7.99
PH836017 BULLET PULLER $12.99 1 $12.99
LY9816049 49TH EDITION RELOADING HANDBOOK $17.99 1 $17.99
LEE90965 LEE 4 DIE SET 40 S&W/10MM CARBID $36.99 1 $36.99
PH205205 DS-750 DIGITAL RELOADING SCALE $23.99 1 $23.99
LEE90230 LEE AUTO PRIME $15.99 1 $15.99
PH672060 ECONOMY ELECTRONIC CALIPER $20.99 1 $20.99
LEE90600 BREECH QUICK LOCK CHANGE BUSHING $6.49 2 $12.98
LEE90180 BREECH LOCK HAND PRESS KIT $39.99 1 $39.99

You will also need caliber specific shell holders for the Lee auto prime. The shell holder that come with the dies will not work.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/412...nd-w-10mm-auto
Old 09-28-2012, 09:13   #50
RYT 2BER

Quote:

Your choice on the scale. Did you read the part where one user pointed out that it can't be used to trickle charge?
Yes but you guys said trickling was bad for pistols so my plan was to use a dipper on the scale to get close and then just fine tune at that point..
Old 09-28-2012, 09:14   #51
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoCG View Post
You will also need caliber specific shell holders for the Lee auto prime. The shell holder that come with the dies will not work.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/412...nd-w-10mm-auto
Crap you're kidding me!

**EDIT Thank you for telling me.. I just bought it off eBay... easier to buy a $2 part off ebay then from a large online store...

Last edited by RYT 2BER; 09-28-2012 at 09:34..
Old 09-28-2012, 09:36   #52
ColoCG

Quote:
Crap you're kidding me!
No sorry, I can sympathizewith you. I started reloading much like you are, with a Lyman 310 nutcrcker hand press about 45yrs. ago. The only difference i sI did purchase a good Ohause beam scale. It is the single most important piece of equipment you can have. I also weighed every charge for .38 and .44mag. Yes it was very tediouse but it did produce decent loads. Within a yr. I purchased a SS bench press.

A powder trickler isn't bad for pistol, but it also can be slow and time consuming.

Good Luck.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:02   #53
F106 Fan

Quote:
Yes but you guys said trickling was bad for pistols so my plan was to use a dipper on the scale to get close and then just fine tune at that point..
I read the review over at Midway. I don't know that the person posting the review has any credibility whatsoever.

However, it seems that the scale wants to take one stable reading and then start from zero for another measurement.

If so, you won't be able to put a dipper full in the pan and then trickle the remainder.

As I said, I don't know if the person writing the review has the foggiest notion about how to use the scale. Every digital scale I have ever used takes repeated measurements.

Richard
Old 09-28-2012, 10:06   #54
fredj338

Quote:

Furthermore, the scale gets excellent reviews:

Thats literally hundreds of reviewers,the majority of which seem to be very pleased. Doesnt make it a sure thing, but again, just because it isnt very expensive doesnt mean its a disaster either...

With all due respect, if it was that bad, you'd be hearing about people like this blowing up and kb'ing all over the place.

I go to ranges all the time... Ive yet to see a kb in person, and Ive yet to have anyone Ive ever shot with ever report it. Its something Ive only seen in pictures on the internet. Again, that doesnt mean it cant happen but with all due respect, you guys are describing it like its a sure thing with this scale.
Look, everyone wants to justify their decision, look at the current political mess of an election. You bought a crappy scale. I don't care what the reviews are . I would 90% of those reviews are from noobs like you that haven't used it enough to really have a good opinions. Again, ask for advice from those that know then choose to ignore it, your kind of on your own then. Again, good luck, I have a feeling you will need some.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 09-28-2012 at 10:08..
Old 09-28-2012, 11:09   #55
superhornet

I like to use dippers and build them specific for the powder load I wish to shoot. Build them both for pistol and rifle. Use a .380 or 9mm case cut down for the pistol. Use a 30/06-or 45-70 for rifle......Weigh the charge I desire, mark the charge on the case and cut it down to acheive the load result. Works great...Handloaded results---When I could hold a pistol steady, won a G17 at Ft. Benning many years ago. Rifle loads--300WSM--W760-180gr Accubond--loaded for a friend who hunts---One buffalo, one moose, one elk, one black bear, one caribou and numerous whitetail. And, these are all mid-range loads, not max....I do use some Dippers in the Lee Kit, but mostly make my own...dippers do work..
superhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:42   #56
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Look, everyone wants to justify their decision, look at the current political mess of an election. You bought a crappy scale. I don't care what the reviews are . I would 90% of those reviews are from noobs like you that haven't used it enough to really have a good opinions. Again, ask for advice from those that know then choose to ignore it, your kind of on your own then. Again, good luck, I have a feeling you will need some.
Look Im not going to argue with you. But really... Im not trying to justify anything.

I did ask for advice.. I have with this as well as other things in my life solicited advice from multiple sources. Furthermore, Im sorry you are offended that I took an initial shortcut to save some money. It seems more like you are offended that I didnt just blindly do exactly what you said, without utilizing any of my own thoughts or judgements whatsoever.

Well, Im not wired that way. I dont just say "how high" when someone says "jump". I used the information provided from a multitude of sources and made a decision. You want to call it justification? So be it.

But dooont you worry.. I will be SURE not to go asking for advice from y'all again.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:54   #57
RYT 2BER

Quote:
I read the review over at Midway. I don't know that the person posting the review has any credibility whatsoever.

As I said, I don't know if the person writing the review has the foggiest notion about how to use the scale. Every digital scale I have ever used takes repeated measurements.

Richard
I dont know why I am still involved in this conversation at this point but I dont know what youre talking about.

You keep saying "the person" and "the review".

I posted up a link to midway with 112 reviews and an amazon link with another 46 reviews. That is 168 reviews predominantly positive.

Last edited by RYT 2BER; 09-28-2012 at 12:55..
Old 09-28-2012, 13:18   #58
fredj338

Quote:
Look Im not going to argue with you. But really... Im not trying to justify anything.

I did ask for advice.. I have with this as well as other things in my life solicited advice from multiple sources. Furthermore, Im sorry you are offended that I took an initial shortcut to save some money. It seems more like you are offended that I didnt just blindly do exactly what you said, without utilizing any of my own thoughts or judgements whatsoever.

Well, Im not wired that way. I dont just say "how high" when someone says "jump". I used the information provided from a multitude of sources and made a decision. You want to call it justification? So be it.

But dooont you worry.. I will be SURE not to go asking for advice from y'all again.
I'm not offended, nothing you could do or say to me would offend me. I just get a little tired of people that ask for advice then totally ignore it. Why ask? Like my son that asked me about his girlfriend; I told him she would dump him at first chance, so they married anyway. He now listens to solicited advice from those that know better.
I wish you well, really. I would rather see people reload on cheap stuff than not reload at all, but you did ask for opinions, maybe take some of the advice??

Last edited by fredj338; 09-28-2012 at 13:21..
Old 09-28-2012, 16:37   #59
F106 Fan

Quote:
I dont know why I am still involved in this conversation at this point but I dont know what youre talking about.

You keep saying "the person" and "the review".
I referred to a review I read at MidwayUSA.

Here is the web page and the first review at the bottom is what I was talking about.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/175...grain-capacity

Richard
Old 09-29-2012, 10:49   #60
PCJim

The real point should be that, of all the reloading equipment that one needs, the scale is the single most important component that you should never go cheap on. Trust me that from experience I can tell you that inexpensive digital scales will wander and your charges (in a high pressure case to begin with) could become dangerous.

Remember that in reloading, you are creating controlled explosive devices that, within certain parameters, are generally safe. Overcharge a single round due to a $30 scale and the resulting damage to yourself and your firearms could easily run in the thousands, including damages that cannot be repaired.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote