SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-27-2012, 20:51   #1
taters

Earmuffs

I am looking for the best earmuffs. Cost is NOT a consideration
Right now I am using a peltor $100 earmuffs. But when I shoot my 30 06. I'd better have some foam earplugs in too. Thanks for any advice
Old 09-28-2012, 08:25   #2
ron59
Bustin Caps

So why not just continue to double up, instead of dumping lots of money?

I only shoot pistol. When I shoot outside, I have a set of those custom molded rubber-type ear plugs that do a great job. However.... until recently I did all of my practice at an indoor range. Inside-the-ear protection just wasn't enough. Muffs alone weren't great. So I just doubled up when I was inside. I don't care for the foam plugs, I would use plugs like these:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/486...r-25-db-1-pair
with the muffs over them. Worked great.

(Couldn't find a pic of the actual inserts I use, you don't want a string attached as that will compromise the seal of the muff. But they were rubber type with little flanges like that. Can be cleaned and used indefinitely, whereas the foam ones get gunky over time. And yes, I clean my ears often/thoroughly.)

LASTLY... I say this, as when I look at Midways selection of muffs, I don't see one pair that claims to do better than 30db of protection.

Here's a set on Amazon that claim to do 33db:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003U5SGR6/?tag=hyprod-20&hvadid=15466388859&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=339533684395350386&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&ref=asc_df_B003U5SGR6
For $265? Screw that. Gotta think doubling up with an inner ear plug and then a good muff will do as good a job if not better, for far cheaper. But hey.... it is your money.

Quote:
“WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!”

Last edited by ron59; 09-28-2012 at 08:29..
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 19:52   #3
4Rules

I generally use Peltor too.

Doubling up is probably always going to be a sensible option, because the quietest muffs are generally too large for a proper cheekweld when you're shooting a rifle.

For pistol shooting, I understand that MSA Sordins are among the best available.
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 20:35   #4
SouthpawG26

I always double up with earplugs. Ive used 60-70$ Peltor 6s and the 300$ Peltor Comtac. Both eventually died after about 5 years of hard use.

Now i use 50$ Howard Leight Impact Sport R01526 that has many of the features of the expensive Comtac and comparable MSA Sordins Supreme Pros. Just two AAAs, single volume control, and no removing of cups and foam for a battery swap.

A bonus is the microphone jack to plug in your iPod or phone, and the icing on the cake is the low profile scalloped shape of the earmuffs that makes achieving a good cheek weld on a long gun easier than with most of the other muffs.
Pic:
Peltor 6 left, Howard Leight Impact sport right.
General Competition

Last edited by SouthpawG26; 09-28-2012 at 20:37..
SouthpawG26 is offline   Reply With Quote