SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-24-2012, 22:46   #1
CompleteNerd

Opinion on a cheap old revolver?

Hey folks,

Well I suppose I was asking for this. The wife is pregnant and I'm sitting here feeling the pressure to get my CHL and a gun. I was trying to incrementally get my wife accustomed to the idea of a firearm but my timetables, of course, had to be moved up.

But with timetables moving up I'm also having to move forward without the amount of money I would like to spend.

I have been taking a very serious look at the police trade-in model 64's on J&G. $279, .38 special, basically some old beater guns ready to be abused.

So here's my question: what are your thoughts on the S&W model 64? Specifically the NY-1 version. Is this worth the money? Concealability seems like a bit of an issue here, I would love to hear your thoughts on this as well.

And to get to the Glock portion I mentioned...I haven't gotten a chance to look around too much lately, but are there any Glock options that aren't going to run me over about three hundred and fifty dollars?

Admittedly, I have pretty much come to terms with not having a Glock just yet and having to dream. Cost is a HUGE factor right now with an unexpected pregnancy, but as the future father and husband I need to figure out a way to make sure my little family is protected at all times.

Thanks guys & gals, and hopefully you all have a great day.
CompleteNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 22:57   #2
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

It's just a fixed sight stainless steel K-frame. Nothing special, yet highly serviceable. If the gun isn't beaten to hell and fallen apart, then that price is damn good. It's not a pocket gun but with a decent belt holster, I don't see what the problem is for concealment.
Old 09-24-2012, 23:04   #3
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Good gun. simple and functional. Price is good too. I would buy it right now (for myself) at that price.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 23:54   #4
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Agreed.

I started out shooting handguns on a Model 10 HB, very similar (4" blued K frame) and if the action isn't beaten to hell they're good shooting and soft recoiling.

A 4" K isn't the ideal CCW piece but it's certainly hideable especially in winter.

If you have someone around who knows wheelguns, have them eyeball it, check the timing and forcing cone if possible. If it's an NYPD gun, it could be totally screwed or nearly unfired.....never know.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:59   #5
countrygun

I agree with all of the above and will add two things

IMO the Smith "K" frames like the 64 are one of the finest all around revolvers in existence.

If you are considering CCW with it, or any handgun, please do yourself a big favor. I know cash is tight but really, get yourself the best holster you can. No $15 specials. The holster makes or breaks the effectiveness and comfort of concealed carry. IMO the best holster for CCW of a 4" K is the Milt Sparks Summer special inside the waistband. I admit to not having tried all the holsters out there, but that one is kind of my gold standard. Most folks don't think of a 4" in an IWB holster but it is a very overlooked option that can work well when a bulky cover garment is out of the question.

There are a number of good outside the waistband rigs. I am partial to the "pancake style for concealment.

Make sure you have a belt that is up to it too.

I would raher carry my 4" K frame .38 (mine is a model 10) in a quality holster than one of my best expensive very accurate .45s in a cheap rig.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:02   #6
4 glocks

S&W are good revolvers. I have seen police trade in Glocks for about $350.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:29   #7
Berto
woo woo

Low on zoot factor, but a K frame S&W .38 is still an excellent self defense handgun, about as proven as they get.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:35   #8
Berto
woo woo

Oh yeah, the NY-1 is a great shooter... but if you're new to DA revolver shooting, it will take getting used to. Once you do master DA revolver though, you'll find those skills transfer to other handguns nicely.

25yrds

General Firearms Forum
Old 09-25-2012, 12:20   #9
Bruce M

I agree that a K frame is a great revolver. I also think though that in some ways a Glock that might be had at 350 or a Ruger 9mm for less than 300 could be an even better deal when the ammunition cost is factored in.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 13:01   #10
G36's Rule

CompleteNerd, what state are you in? You said CHL so I thought maybe Texas, but need you to clarify.

My question has a point, if you are a Texan.
G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 14:53   #11
CompleteNerd

G36,
I'm up in Washington actually. So technically I believe I should have said CPL. A little mistake while I was trying to get my thoughts in order.

And thanks everybody, I more or less wanted to get the thoughts of the more experienced before I sprung that way. It looks like buds has model 10s for 269 right now so I may just swing that way as well.

Last edited by CompleteNerd; 09-25-2012 at 14:53..
CompleteNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 16:54   #12
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

The model 64 is one of my favorite revolvers. I have several of them all over the place.
My Detroit Police 64 is in right next to me in my desk drawn.

The model 64 is the stainless version of the model 10.
While the older model 10's with the half moon front sight are a classic. When buying a used police trade in I would go stainless every time. Light scuffs can be blended out with an eraser, and you have the corrosion resistance of stainless steel.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 17:44   #13
bac1023

Good, solid revolvers for sure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 00:04   #14
PzGren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
Oh yeah, the NY-1 is a great shooter... but if you're new to DA revolver shooting, it will take getting used to. Once you do master DA revolver though, you'll find those skills transfer to other handguns nicely.

25yrds

General Firearms Forum

That is an ISSF target! Looks very familiar.

And good results from the S&W 64, that is good shooting, as expected from you.
PzGren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:11   #15
G36's Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteNerd View Post
G36,
I'm up in Washington actually. So technically I believe I should have said CPL. A little mistake while I was trying to get my thoughts in order.

And thanks everybody, I more or less wanted to get the thoughts of the more experienced before I sprung that way. It looks like buds has model 10s for 269 right now so I may just swing that way as well.
The reason I ask is this, if you take your CHL course in Texas with a revolver that is all you can carry. I don't know what the law is in Washington.
G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:17   #16
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
Quote:
Opinion on a cheap old revolver?
There is a difference between "cheap" and "inexpensive". Model 64's are "inexpensive" right now.

And they're not old...they're experienced.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:12   #17
gunsmoke92

What CajunBass said! And no offense to any one, just my opinion, but I'll take a $279 S&W 64 over a $350 + Glock every day of the week. Believe me, you can't loose with a Smith.
S&W Club #92, Snubbie club #92, The 21 Club #92, The Big Dawg club #1992
gunsmoke92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 20:47   #18
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
"Opinion on cheap old revolvers"

The more I think about it the more it bothers me when you used the word "cheap" to describe S&W 64 revolvers. There is nothing cheap about them.

How about $280 is the least expensive quality stainless steel revolver there is that is worth owning to defend yourself and love ones?
Old 09-26-2012, 22:36   #19
Caver 60

If you haven't already read this sticky from the top of this forum, please do so.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1049606
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:30   #20
Taphius

Summit gun broker has g22's for 349. You might be able to pull off a win on a SP2022 for ~350 off of gunbroke.

Jet guns has the lc9 for 338, sr9c for 402. Kahr CW40 for 340ish. Buds has all the PX4 pistols on sale right now but for 399, the new s&w sd pistols are quite inexpensive as well.

Last edited by Taphius; 09-27-2012 at 05:40..
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
revolver, s&w 64