Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:25   #41
blacktalon606

There is a huge body of information studying fire, ems, police, soldiers and the like. I didn't say it wasn't stressful. What does that have to do with anything? You are saying you don't wanna work with people because the job is stressful and you are assuming certain people can not hack it.

Who else won't you work with? Would you refuse to work with someone with PTSD? Those peer review studies you just mentioned have found that MOST FF/EMS/LEO's who show up at a mass trauma scene show signs and symptoms of PTSD. That doesn't mean they can't be a FF. That means they need to get whatever help they need, and keep moving forward.

It is appropriate to say... "Bill isn't pulling his own weight around here, and I don't wanna work with him if he doesn't get it together." It is not appropriate to say, "people with bipolar disorder don't belong in FF, or medicine, or police or any other role." Psych problems are an INDIVIDUAL thing, not a blanket and it is more wide spread than you know.
blacktalon606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:44   #42
blacktalon606

Quote:
Originally Posted by D25 View Post
Didn't you just show yourself one?
That's not a real choice when you love your job.
blacktalon606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:00   #43
Da-Squad
Capt/Ret.

[quoteWe tell them to get ahold of those fears, to over come those fears. We tell them to be a Man. We tell them to Man the F*uck Up!! ][/quote]

Someone has to keep the makers of the "No Fear Firefighting" and "We Fight What You Fear" along with some other ridiculuse decals and t-shirts in buisniess
Da-Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:42   #44
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktalon606 View Post
There is a huge body of information studying fire, ems, police, soldiers and the like. I didn't say it wasn't stressful. What does that have to do with anything? You are saying you don't wanna work with people because the job is stressful and you are assuming certain people can not hack it.

Who else won't you work with? Would you refuse to work with someone with PTSD? Those peer review studies you just mentioned have found that MOST FF/EMS/LEO's who show up at a mass trauma scene show signs and symptoms of PTSD. That doesn't mean they can't be a FF. That means they need to get whatever help they need, and keep moving forward.

It is appropriate to say... "Bill isn't pulling his own weight around here, and I don't wanna work with him if he doesn't get it together." It is not appropriate to say, "people with bipolar disorder don't belong in FF, or medicine, or police or any other role." Psych problems are an INDIVIDUAL thing, not a blanket and it is more wide spread than you know.
A lot of people are misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder which is the same as manic depression. If you stay up for days on end and then crash for days etc that may be bipolar disorder. They also say that these women teachers who have sex with the young men suffer from bipolar disorder. I have seen this disease up close and if the people are truly bipolar I doubt if they would be leo etc. I have suffered from PTSD for years and it is a memory that never goes away. Would I be dangerous to others... Only if they are the people who caused the injury.I would bet that the op would be a ok as a firefighter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote