Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:37   #21
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
A Remington Shotgun will not discharge if dropped. I have a video of me beating the crap out of a loaded 870 with a mallet to prove this after that BS news report on this from CBS or ABC or one of those anti-gun networks.

I beat the weapon so hard I was knocking the trigger pins out and it still did not discharge. The entire law suit is prue BS against a manufacturer by attorny's wanting to score big. Which is why it fadded away.

Can you make it discharge? I am sure you can with enough force. Maybe dropping from a three story building onto payment or maybe even loaded in the trunk of a car that was just hit by another car. Don't want to find out by doing that mess. But dropping it or beating it with a mallet will not make it discharge.
Thats good to know. I was always taught 870's arent drop proof and why I keep the chamber empty with a full tube.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:52   #22
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin762 View Post
I'll have to check into that holster. Thanks for the tip.

I understand about the employer thing. The H.R. Dept at my work said, just keep it out of the building. They don't seem to care about the parking lot for now.
I have a G-Code OSH riding on my range belt setup right now, and have an XST (edit: whoops, wrong name) retention holster en route right now. Both are configured for RTI. As soon as I can remember what I did with it, and decide where to put it, I'm going to mount an RTI disc in a discrete location in my car for long-distance trips. Lock in holster, 229 in holster (Retention or open top as appropriate), and hit the road. When I need to get out, draw from mounted holster, and insert into IWB holster. If need be, I can then remove the mounted holster from the disc, and hide it in the glove box.

Last edited by WoodenPlank; 09-23-2012 at 12:54..
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:57   #23
smokin762

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
I have a G-Code OSH riding on my range belt setup right now, and have an XST (edit: whoops, wrong name) retention holster en route right now. Both are configured for RTI. As soon as I can remember what I did with it, and decide where to put it, I'm going to mount an RTI disc in a discrete location in my car for long-distance trips. Lock in holster, 229 in holster (Retention or open top as appropriate), and hit the road. When I need to get out, draw from mounted holster, and insert into IWB holster. If need be, I can then remove the mounted holster from the disc, and hide it in the glove box.
I have collected edged weapons for the past 20 years. I love their usefulness.
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:58   #24
1rocket69

Best way to carry a shotgun (IMO) is what we call Hot Standby.

Safety off/ with empty chamber/ pull the trigger--leave safety off.

Fully load the tube and store it. To get it into fight mode all you do is rack the slide which is much faster than popping the safety off.

Safe to carry, drop, crash etc and super fast to get into action.
1rocket69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 13:08   #25
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin762 View Post
I have collected edged weapons for the past 20 years. I love their usefulness.

One of my good friends (same one that provided me with the RW-1) recently got me started in them. It's a disease almost as bad as AR-15s....
Old 09-23-2012, 13:13   #26
smokin762

Quote:
One of my good friends (same one that provided me with the RW-1) recently got me started in them. It's a disease almost as bad as AR-15s....
When I started, all Buck, Case and many other brands of knives were U.S. Made.

At one time, I had over 80 knives in my collection. Now, I just collect self defence type knives.

Enjoy your new hobby. I have for years.
Old 09-23-2012, 13:16   #27
Chris Brines

This is how it is positioned in my trunk. Nothing for the finish to get damaged on. it's in a gun case, that is opened. Those are empty gas cans just fyi lol....I like the full stock better but the PG is for maneuvaribility. I think I'd be able to maneuver a PG shotty much more swiftly. Currently with 7 in the tube, nothing in the chamber, safety on. Maybe I'll switch it off.

Tactical Shotguns
Chris Brines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 13:22   #28
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brines View Post
This is how it is positioned in my trunk. Nothing for the finish to get damaged on. it's in a gun case, that is opened. Those are empty gas cans just fyi lol....I like the full stock better but the PG is for maneuvaribility. I think I'd be able to maneuver a PG shotty much more swiftly. Currently with 7 in the tube, nothing in the chamber, safety on. Maybe I'll switch it off.

Tactical Shotguns
PG might be more manouverable, but it's going to be significantly harder to aim effectively at anything much past contact range. Chances are, in an open parking lot, you might need that extra reach the full stock and proper sight picture will give.

Empty chamber, hammer down safety on means 2 distinct actions to make the weapon ready. If someone tries to snatch the shotgun as you open your trunk, it can buy you the time needed to draw a handgun, or otherwise defeat the attacker's attempt to take it.

Finally, I would suggest a way of securing it when needed. If your car got broken into, you wouldn't want that shotgun being such a ripe target.
Old 09-23-2012, 13:23   #29
smokin762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brines View Post

Tactical Shotguns

That must be a Texas thing. My female cousin came up from Texas last year for a visit and she had the same thing in her trunk. But it was in 20 gauge.

Old 09-23-2012, 16:30   #30
TexasGlockster

Quote:
PG might be more manouverable, but it's going to be significantly harder to aim effectively at anything much past contact range. Chances are, in an open parking lot, you might need that extra reach the full stock and proper sight picture will give.

Empty chamber, hammer down safety on means 2 distinct actions to make the weapon ready. If someone tries to snatch the shotgun as you open your trunk, it can buy you the time needed to draw a handgun, or otherwise defeat the attacker's attempt to take it.

Finally, I would suggest a way of securing it when needed. If your car got broken into, you wouldn't want that shotgun being such a ripe target.
I agree. See previous post.
TexasGlockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 17:44   #31
cdog533
Zombie Killer

If you are paying attention, you should see that trouble coming. If a methhead is braining you with a tire iron whilst your are putting the Keystone Light in your trunk, YOU messed up and no weapon will help.

Let's assume you see 3 bad guys coming your way.

So, you have two choices IMHO:

1) Like it is, round in chamber w/safety on. But remember that safety can be hard to use with the PG. Pull shotty, throw safety off.

2) Safety OFF, no round in chamber. Pull shotty, and just rack it.

Note: The racking sound does not scare bad guys. A shotgun does not scare bad guys. Rounds on target are what stops bad guys.

I think the pistol grip is fine for short range car protection or house clearing. Everyone hates them, but isn't Hickok45 making 100 yard shots with a PG in video somewhere? For 5-10 yards, you'll be fine.

Last edited by cdog533; 09-23-2012 at 17:47..
cdog533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:41   #32
TeeJay37

I think a handgun would be easier to actually bring to the target in this situation, especially since you said they were armed robberies. Imagine the thug with a gun already on you seeing you swing around with a shotgun. How easy would it be for him to spot it. Now think about a pistol. You could have it pretty well hidden until you get all the way around and you could even have it in some type of close-to-body hold already ready to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog533 View Post
Note: The racking sound does not scare bad guys. A shotgun does not scare bad guys. Rounds on target are what stops bad guys.
+1

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
TeeJay37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 14:49   #33
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Get a permit to carry a handgun. Having a Shotgun in the trunk of your car to prevent a robbery is next to useless.

You more likely to get it stolen then to have the perfect situation where you are opening the truck while you see a thug approaching you.
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 15:50   #34
aippi

If the chamber is empty and the safety off the quickest way to disconect is to pull the trigger and rack it. that saves a move to the disconect and a move to the safety. DO NOT DO THIS AS IT IS NOT SAFE.......... so with that said being as I am in this business and have 3 Million Dollars in liability insurance, that is the fastest way to get a pump shotgun load........BUT DON'T DO IT AS IT IS NOT SAFE........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer

Last edited by aippi; 09-25-2012 at 15:51..
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 17:51   #35
Unk

+1 1rocket69. Chamber empty, action NOT cocked, safety off.

I'd lose the fruit pistol grip stock...you're giving up a vertical or horizontal buttstroke option.

Gun in the trunk makes me think your best option is to floor it if you see trouble coming as you are basically screwed when it comes to firearm access.

Best.
Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:07   #36
Doughnutman_923

Send a message via Yahoo to Doughnutman_923
If a child or someone else you don't want holding a loaded weapon can get your car keys: I would say no. Otherwise, go for it!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:12   #37
HexHead

What! And lose the tactical advantage of working the pump, making the BG crap his pants from the sound alone?

In my state, you can only have a long gun with ammo in it in your vehicle if you also have a carry permit. But you still can't have one in the chamber.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 17:17   #38
ca survivor

It's been said that the racking of the slide has change the intentions of many BGs.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:44   #39
Vigilant

Quote:
Agreed on all counts.

Full stock, empty chamber is the way to go. I would say hammer down and safety on, so it's run pump, hit safety and ready to go.

Also, most carjackings/parking lot robberies are at VERY close range from what I understand, and a shotgun is going to be pretty unwieldy. If you can't CCW, then I'd suggest a handgun in a secured location in the vehicle.
Exactly.
Old 09-30-2012, 23:35   #40
Inebriated

Turn safety off (usually doesn't matter, but being PGO and Mossberg, it's just easier to leave it off)
Load tube
Pull bolt back (lifting shell up)
Top the tube off

You get full capacity, without chambering a round. If you need it, slide the bolt home, and you're ready to go.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote