GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 13:41   #1
Chris Brines
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 479
Is it safe to leave a round chambered in a Mossberg 500?

Just wondering. I keep a Mossberg 500 in my trunk, and just took the buttstock off of it and put the pistol grip on. I've never really expected to have to use it, but there have been quite a few armed robberies in my area lately, one of which the assailant walked up to a guy who was getting groceries out of his trunk.

So I keep the Mossberg in my trunk, and want to know how safe (or unsafe) it may be to leave a round chambered. Meaning all I'd have to do is pick it up, switch the safety "off", and pull the trigger. I always leave the safety on, and even in an SD situation, doubt it would really hinder anything, because it is right where my thumb would go anyway.

I'd like to avoid having to cock it before firing if at all possible, because if someone has a gun in their hand, that sound might make them more inclined to start shooting me, whereas if the first thing they saw was the barrel of my 12 gauge, the last thing they'd see would be 9 pellets of 00 buckshot making them really "holy".

Is this safe? Or should I just leave the chamber empty?
Chris Brines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 16:02   #2
glockrod
NRA-Endow. Life
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: East of center, SC
Posts: 2,032
Do you have trunk gnomes???

They may set off the 500, but otherwise, I dont see how it could be a problem.

I am sure that someone with more authority on the subject will offer a better opinion, but unless you plan on locking a BG in your trunk, you should not have a problem having in a ready condition.

Rod
__________________
NRA Member - Endowment Life
glockrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 16:58   #3
BenjiEDF
Senior Member
 
BenjiEDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 834
I'd consider getting a shotgun scabbard and leaving it loaded with the safety ON in there. Reasoning: to keep anything from snagging on the trigger guard and keep the shotguns finish from getting all scuffed up from loose items in the back.

I did see one video a while back were a guys safety didn't work properly after he installed an aftermarket pistol grip. Make sure that works ok.
__________________
"There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it." ~Ron Paul

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 17:20   #4
aippi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,635
Pistol grip and model 500 don't go together well. I seems it would be better without a round in the chamber and the safety off. You then hit the disconect which is in a good place on the 500 and rack the weapon. Seems this is going to be faster then fumbling with a PG model 500 and tang safety.

Also, a sear works as designed but I doubt it would be designed to hold in the violence a car crash. I don't consider any weapon being transported in a vehicle in any type of case as being safe with a round in the chamber.
__________________
J.D. McGuire, Owner
AI&P Tactical, LLC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 17:46   #5
20SFLV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 220
You also want to check the law as some states prohibit keeping a loaded rifle/shotgun in the car. Loaded in some states means round in the chamber. Don't know about Texas, but in Nevada you could keep rounds in the magazine, but not in the chamber if you are going to go for a drive.
20SFLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 20:23   #6
vafish
Senior Member
 
vafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia
Posts: 24,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
Pistol grip and model 500 don't go together well. I seems it would be better without a round in the chamber and the safety off. You then hit the disconect which is in a good place on the 500 and rack the weapon. Seems this is going to be faster then fumbling with a PG model 500 and tang safety.

Also, a sear works as designed but I doubt it would be designed to hold in the violence a car crash. I don't consider any weapon being transported in a vehicle in any type of case as being safe with a round in the chamber.
+1

With the Mossberg safety location it is difficult to engage with a pistol grip.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years,
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 20:58   #7
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
Pistol grip and model 500 don't go together well. I seems it would be better without a round in the chamber and the safety off. You then hit the disconect which is in a good place on the 500 and rack the weapon. Seems this is going to be faster then fumbling with a PG model 500 and tang safety.

Also, a sear works as designed but I doubt it would be designed to hold in the violence a car crash. I don't consider any weapon being transported in a vehicle in any type of case as being safe with a round in the chamber.
Agreed on all counts.

Full stock, empty chamber is the way to go. I would say hammer down and safety on, so it's run pump, hit safety and ready to go.

Also, most carjackings/parking lot robberies are at VERY close range from what I understand, and a shotgun is going to be pretty unwieldy. If you can't CCW, then I'd suggest a handgun in a secured location in the vehicle.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 21:21   #8
BenjiEDF
Senior Member
 
BenjiEDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Agreed on all counts.

Full stock, empty chamber is the way to go. I would say hammer down and safety on, so it's run pump, hit safety and ready to go.

Also, most carjackings/parking lot robberies are at VERY close range from what I understand, and a shotgun is going to be pretty unwieldy. If you can't CCW, then I'd suggest a handgun in a secured location in the vehicle.
I agree on both his and your input too. I want to add that I really think it is important to carry a good pocket knife at all times. Something small like a Spyderco Delica (just an example). Maybe you already thought of it or it's already covered but I'm amazed sometimes with people who CC "sometimes" but never carry a blade.
__________________
"There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it." ~Ron Paul

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 22:16   #9
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiEDF View Post
I agree on both his and your input too. I want to add that I really think it is important to carry a good pocket knife at all times. Something small like a Spyderco Delica (just an example). Maybe you already thought of it or it's already covered but I'm amazed sometimes with people who CC "sometimes" but never carry a blade.
I carry a sharpened prybar (also called a Strider RW-1) in my pocket every day, especially since I can't carry a handgun when I go to work.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 23:07   #10
BenjiEDF
Senior Member
 
BenjiEDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
I carry a sharpened prybar (also called a Strider RW-1) in my pocket every day, especially since I can't carry a handgun when I go to work.
That looks like a gorgeous instrument that could sing some songs if the player knew how to make music. Pricey, but nice.
__________________
"There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it." ~Ron Paul

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 23:34   #11
aippi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20SFLV View Post
You also want to check the law as some states prohibit keeping a loaded rifle/shotgun in the car. Loaded in some states means round in the chamber. Don't know about Texas, but in Nevada you could keep rounds in the magazine, but not in the chamber if you are going to go for a drive.

I think in Texas it is only against the law to have an unloaded gun. I also wish the Main Manufacturers that are in places like NY, IL, MA and many of the accessory manufacturers like in CA would tell those states to stop making BS laws against their products or they will pack up their Shops and take their tax base and payrolls move to TX and other gun friendly states. Thiink of the Millions these companies pay in local and state taxes and the millions in payrol they pay in the states they manufacture in. Money talks. And sorry for getting of topic but it is a sore spot to be in a BS gun state like MI and God Bless TX for getting it right.
__________________
J.D. McGuire, Owner
AI&P Tactical, LLC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer

Last edited by aippi; 09-22-2012 at 23:48..
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:55   #12
TexasGlockster
Senior Member
 
TexasGlockster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Republic of TX
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
I think in Texas it is only against the law to have an unloaded gun. I also wish the Main Manufacturers that are in places like NY, IL, MA and many of the accessory manufacturers like in CA would tell those states to stop making BS laws against their products or they will pack up their Shops and take their tax base and payrolls move to TX and other gun friendly states. Thiink of the Millions these companies pay in local and state taxes and the millions in payrol they pay in the states they manufacture in. Money talks. And sorry for getting of topic but it is a sore spot to be in a BS gun state like MI and God Bless TX for getting it right.
Amen to that. God bless the Republic of Texas.

As to the OP's original question: go for it. Not because of any legal issue but you might want to consider buying a gun safe for your shottie. IMHO I would never want to give a criminal a loaded weapon and a car/trunk is not particularly secure on its own. Fort Knox makes a good one that is imperfect for this use because where it opens. That said, it might give you a place to start looking. CHECK IT OUT HERE. I don't know much about it and whether it would work with a pistol grip but THIS might be another option. Neither of these provide immediate action but once the trunk is over you could access either pretty darn quickly (I can open a simplex lock I have in under 2 seconds).
TexasGlockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:11   #13
itsnitro
Got Sig?
 
itsnitro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: LA
Posts: 2,072
Send a message via AIM to itsnitro
I was told by the trainers at my previous dept. that the way the safety is designed, if you were up drop a loaded shotgun, it would discharge. Now I obviously do not have much experience with shotguns so not sure if that's true or not. We used Remington's, can't remember the model. True or false or on between?

Signed, confuzzed.


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
Glock 26 - Sub Club #7797
Sig P226 - Sig Club #7797
Florida Glockers #7797
itsnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:34   #14
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289
 
DustyJacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Missouri, East of KC
Posts: 6,152
I believe that would be an accident waiting to happen.

And in many states, illegal.
__________________
"...our quick technology allows use to indulge our deepest stupidity and tastelessness with out first thinking...."
DustyJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:39   #15
eracer
Where's my EBT?
 
eracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 6,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
I carry a sharpened prybar (also called a Strider RW-1) in my pocket every day, especially since I can't carry a handgun when I go to work.
Please explain to me what $500 gets you in a pocket knife that $80 wouldn't.

I'm not being critical, since I know jack about knives. But, like watches, I just don't understand the value of really expensive ones.
__________________
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:43   #16
smokin762
Senior Member
 
smokin762's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Agreed on all counts.

Full stock, empty chamber is the way to go. I would say hammer down and safety on, so it's run pump, hit safety and ready to go.

Also, most carjackings/parking lot robberies are at VERY close range from what I understand, and a shotgun is going to be pretty unwieldy. If you can't CCW, then I'd suggest a handgun in a secured location in the vehicle.



OP,

I stumbled upon a guy selling mountable magnets for firearms at the Gun Show. You just mount it where you want to hide it. Then attach the firearm to it. The firearm has some resistance coming off of it but not too much that would cause a problem.

I bought this for a trunk application. I figured if my hands are in the trunk already, then I want something quick that I can grab in a bad situation. Handguns are way more maneuverable in an enclosed situation. By the time you swing around a shotgun, I would think it would be your demise.

Tactical Shotguns
__________________
NRA Life Member
CCW License Holder
My goal is to survive. Whatever the problem might be.

Last edited by smokin762; 09-23-2012 at 08:46..
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:53   #17
smokin762
Senior Member
 
smokin762's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
I carry a sharpened prybar (also called a Strider RW-1) in my pocket every day, especially since I can't carry a handgun when I go to work.
In Ohio, That knife could get you into trouble. There is no state law on length of blades that can be carried. Each city has their own laws when it comes to edged weapons. It seems that any knife over 2 is considered to be bad. If a person has a CCW and feels the need for a backup weapon, they are better off carrying a spare handgun. Mine is a J-Frame in a pocket holster on the left side.
__________________
NRA Life Member
CCW License Holder
My goal is to survive. Whatever the problem might be.
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:05   #18
aippi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,635
A Remington Shotgun will not discharge if dropped. I have a video of me beating the crap out of a loaded 870 with a mallet to prove this after that BS news report on this from CBS or ABC or one of those anti-gun networks.

I beat the weapon so hard I was knocking the trigger pins out and it still did not discharge. The entire law suit is prue BS against a manufacturer by attorny's wanting to score big. Which is why it fadded away.

Can you make it discharge? I am sure you can with enough force. Maybe dropping from a three story building onto payment or maybe even loaded in the trunk of a car that was just hit by another car. Don't want to find out by doing that mess. But dropping it or beating it with a mallet will not make it discharge.
__________________
J.D. McGuire, Owner
AI&P Tactical, LLC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:15   #19
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
Please explain to me what $500 gets you in a pocket knife that $80 wouldn't.

I'm not being critical, since I know jack about knives. But, like watches, I just don't understand the value of really expensive ones.
Ability to hold an edge under abuse, ability of the blade to resist abuse (hence me referring to it as a sharpened prybar), how tight the blade locks to the frame when open, corrosion resistance... In short, a lot of advantages to a well made knife.

Plus, I didn't pay anything for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin762 View Post


OP,

I stumbled upon a guy selling mountable magnets for firearms at the Gun Show. You just mount it where you want to hide it. Then attach the firearm to it. The firearm has some resistance coming off of it but not too much that would cause a problem.

I bought this for a trunk application. I figured if my hands are in the trunk already, then I want something quick that I can grab in a bad situation. Handguns are way more maneuverable in an enclosed situation. By the time you swing around a shotgun, I would think it would be your demise.

Tactical Shotguns
As an alternative, look at the G-Code RTI holsters. G-Code sells RTI mounting discs by themselves, and they can be screwed to just about anything. Screw a disc into whatever location you like, and get an RTI holster of your choice - or get the adapter for a Serpa or Safariland holster. Holster mounts to disc, gun goes in holster. When you take the gun out of the car, you can simply dismount the holster (takes 2 seconds) and all that is left is a flat plastic disc that looks like nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin762 View Post
In Ohio, That knife could get you into trouble. There is no state law on length of blades that can be carried. Each city has their own laws when it comes to edged weapons. It seems that any knife over 2 is considered to be bad. If a person has a CCW and feels the need for a backup weapon, they are better off carrying a spare handgun. Mine is a J-Frame in a pocket holster on the left side.
I mostly carry it as a utility knife, and not a weapon, but it can serve that purpose too. Unfortunately, firearms are verboten in my line of work (can't have them on the property, and Florida's parking lot law doesn't apply here), so a knife is all I can carry when going to or from work.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:01   #20
smokin762
Senior Member
 
smokin762's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,243
I'll have to check into that holster. Thanks for the tip.

I understand about the employer thing. The H.R. Dept at my work said, just keep it out of the building. They don't seem to care about the parking lot for now.
__________________
NRA Life Member
CCW License Holder
My goal is to survive. Whatever the problem might be.

Last edited by smokin762; 09-23-2012 at 12:05..
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:34.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 864
252 Members
612 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31