SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:46   #1
USMC_G19
Ham Salad

Storing Antibiotics

What is the consensus in stockpiling pet meds for human use in the event we canít run down to Walgreens to pick up a prescription for amoxicillin? From what I have read the pills are the same as those for human consumption, just labeled differently for legal reasons. And if you were to go that route would storing them in a deep freeze extend their shelf life past the expiration date?

http://www.calvetsupply.com/category...ord=antibiotic
Old 09-18-2012, 09:00   #2
John Rambo
Raven

Yes. And yes.

Heat and moisture destroy antibiotics. Keep them cool and dry and they'll last longer. There may be some exceptions as some may have an ingredient or two that don't react well to freezing, but for the most part they should be safe to freeze and it will greatly extend their shelf life. Just take a whole lot of care to make sure frost/ice doesn't develop on them.
John Rambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 17:47   #3
houseflipper

I was told dark cool place (not freezing). Refrigerator in a black plastic bag for mine, if I had any.
houseflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 18:04   #4
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseflipper View Post
I was told dark cool place (not freezing). Refrigerator in a black plastic bag for mine, if I had any.
Many of the ingredients in antibiotics involve freezing in the prep process. For the most part, it won't hurt them. Obviously, there are bound to be exceptions. Rather than a plastic bag, consider something like a container with a rubber gasket and some of the silica crystals in it. You really need to keep the moisture off of them or that cold does little good.
John Rambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 20:07   #5
Smacktard

Tagged

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."
- Joseph Goebbels, Minister of Propaganda in Nazi Germany.
Smacktard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:12   #6
USMC_G19
Ham Salad

So something like a small metal container with a good seal. Im assuming that one should wait for it to come to room temp before opening to reduce the risk of condensation on the meds.

Last edited by USMC_G19; 09-19-2012 at 06:12..
USMC_G19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 18:08   #7
houseflipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Many of the ingredients in antibiotics involve freezing in the prep process. For the most part, it won't hurt them. Obviously, there are bound to be exceptions. Rather than a plastic bag, consider something like a container with a rubber gasket and some of the silica crystals in it. You really need to keep the moisture off of them or that cold does little good.
They are sealed in the original bottles but I can always up the protection. If I had any.
houseflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 18:21   #8
FH Alum

What about food saver style vac seal bags? This would keep out moisture and O2.

Also, remember it was not until the 80's that drugs had to have an expiration date. Most will be ok for a long time if stored smartly.
FH Alum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:56   #9
garyo

I agree with FH, if stored smartly they will last a very long time. I have used 1% cortizone creme over 5 years old, and it worked perfectly. Also used some wart remover over 10 years old and it worked fine. Most of my analgesics are over the expiration date, and they work just fine also. Of topic, but just a quick note about bleach expiration. I have been experimenting with very old bleach that I have. It may not be full power and you can smell that it is not, so I just add a tad bit more to what ever I am doing and it also works just fine. Very little ever gets tossed at my house. Rotation is key, which explains why I have so much old stuff.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:15   #10
nursetim

Not medical advice, I wouldn't take old tetracycline as it can turn poisonous.
nursetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:22   #11
Mr.Pliskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursetim View Post
Not medical advice, I wouldn't take old tetracycline as it can turn poisonous.
Does doxycycline also turn poisonous? Ive heard it both ways.
Mr.Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:25   #12
garyo

During some research I found this guy. He seems sincere and does seem to know what he is talking about.

http://www.doomandbloom.net/archives

Fish antibiotics youtube by him also:

All this stuff is available from Amazon.
Old 09-30-2012, 17:12   #13
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
be aware that the livestock and pet meds have differing pH levels based on their needs. if it differs from humans, and most do, there is a strong possibility of developing abcesses at the injection site as your body tries to fight off the meds. fish antibiotics are neutral pH as they are designed to be placed in the water.

that said, i do know alot of older horsemen who use some oral meds available for horses with no issues, but the pH abcess info came from a friend of mine who is a vetrinarian.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:17   #14
Liff

Sealed, Dry, Dark, and Cool.

Oxygen is bad, water is bad, light is bad, and high temperature is bad.

Think of medicine like you think of milk, just with a different time frame.

Milk in the jug loses some of the vitamins due to the light compared to the cardboard 1/2 gallon size. Milk lasts longer in the refrigerator than on the countertop. If you put the cap back on, the milk lasts longer too.

And this is the most important: Milk is not good one day and bad the next (black or white), it goes through a continuum from good to bad, just like medicine, just like all other chemicals, just like food in storage, just like shoes as you wear them down, just like our bodies wear out.
Liff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:24   #15
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A Shooter View Post
be aware that the livestock and pet meds have differing pH levels based on their needs. if it differs from humans, and most do, there is a strong possibility of developing abcesses at the injection site as your body tries to fight off the meds. fish antibiotics are neutral pH as they are designed to be placed in the water.

that said, i do know alot of older horsemen who use some oral meds available for horses with no issues, but the pH abcess info came from a friend of mine who is a vetrinarian.
I don't think I will be injecting anything.

How does the pH impact oral antibiotics?