SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-19-2012, 18:35   #21
DonD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta92guy View Post
no offense sir, but who do you think you are supporting when you fill up with gasoline????
That comment doesn't cut it. We aren't self sufficient in gas production, we either buy from without or do without and the latter isn't an option. There are US and friendly countries who produce fine weapons and even then I prefer to buy US when possible. Don
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 18:44   #22
socialwork911

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD View Post
That comment doesn't cut it. We aren't self sufficient in gas production, we either buy from without or do without and the latter isn't an option. There are US and friendly countries who produce fine weapons and even then I prefer to buy US when possible. Don
don---way to go...
as you see from my screen name, I'm a SW'er...who was a first responder on 9/11....working with area residents, those who made it out of the towers...and police/fire personnel who had difficulties during(yea-not all could handle it) and after.....guess I'm affected too....but for me and my house, when I can I buy USA..and support countries that support us...the only middle east country I'd buy from is Israel...nice guns too
given the current issues....that's the way i roll....you make your own decisions
Old 09-19-2012, 18:48   #23
Walk Soft

I have both and I shoot the Caracal a lot better.
Walk Soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 18:55   #24
jp3975

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD View Post
Try back in a decade and see how it fares. Don
Dont need to. It was designed by a weapons designer for Glock and the same guy who made the Steyr pistols that are renowned for being excellent guns.

They are regarded as wonderful pistols by everyone who's tried them.

And beyond that, the German govt put them through the harshest tests that pistols are put through and its NATO approved.

All the nay sayers are just haters imo.

Quote:
Before being put into production the Caracal pistol was evaluated through independent tests. These tests were carried out by the Federal German Armed Forces Technical Center for Weapons and Ammunition (WTD 91) in Meppen, Germany[5] which included metallurgic and composite analysis, functional fitness-for-purpose and quality evaluation, endurance firing, environmental exposure, safety and accuracy tests. A certificate was issued by the Bundeswehr Technical Center for Weapons and Ammunition (WTD 91) in May 2006 after the pistol successfully complied with the NATO D14 standard, the German Federal Police Standard and the German Federal Armed Forces Technical Purchasing requirements. These tests are the most stringent test protocols ever devised for a service firearm.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caracal_pistol

Last edited by jp3975; 09-19-2012 at 18:56..
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 18:57   #25
jp3975

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkyoursix View Post
Hate to break it to you but Glock is an Austrian company with an American subsidiary.
Yep...I think that guy needs to sell his Glocks and buy an M&P or XD.

As for me, I could care less where a gun comes from. I want the best available for the price point.

Like it or not, it seems like Caracal is it.

Last edited by jp3975; 09-19-2012 at 18:58..
Old 09-19-2012, 18:59   #26
jp3975

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialwork911 View Post
american workers is the issue..and our $$$ don't go back to fund army's against the usa....buy what you want..i'm not here to convince you
Last time I checked UAE is an ally.
Old 09-19-2012, 19:18   #27
checkyoursix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp3975 View Post
...According to this guy it is.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-vs-caracal-c/

Trying to sell my Steyr to get an F model.
Your conclusion is not really representative of the conclusions of the article though. The article has many a praise for the Caracal, but the conclusions are towards the Glock for two very fundamental reasons: the sights were inadequate in the dark and the gun doesn't have any reliability record. Here is an expert:

Quote:
So would I pick the Caracal for my EDC? Probably not. There are two issues that lead me away from the Cat.
I usually donít use black targets for range reports because they donít photograph well, but thatís what I had for my first date with the Caracal. Shooting at black B24s, I discovered immediately that a black gun aimed at a black target using black sights in dim light is a recipe for failure. It was just too hard to get the gun on target with the QAS.
Since most confrontations occur at night, and most home invaders donít wear brightly colored Hawaiian shirts with white trousers, Iím thinking that the sights might be a problem in the real world. Still, thatís nothing that canít be fixed with a new front sight (all thatís needed). RF will modify and report.
The real issue for me: the plastic Arab lacks the Glockís record of reliability. Even though TTAGís testers have thrown well over a thousand rounds of God-knows-what downrange with the Caracal C with only a single bum bullet, Iíd only consider the C for my Every Day Carry (EDC) after the gunís reliability and durability were proven through some kind of torture test. Or a longer track record.

Bertrand Russell
checkyoursix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 19:24   #28
MrVvrroomm

I own both Caracal C & F. I have put a LOT of rounds through both of them. I'm a Caracal fan.

The Glock 19 is a better gun, period.

Certified Glock Armorer
MrVvrroomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 19:40   #29
socialwork911

Quote:
Last time I checked UAE is an ally.
i haven't heard them stand up against attacks...one arab country to another...too much oil involved maybe
Old 09-19-2012, 19:42   #30
jp3975

Quote:
Your conclusion is not really representative of the conclusions of the article though. The article has many a praise for the Caracal, but the conclusions are towards the Glock for two very fundamental reasons: the sights were inadequate in the dark and the gun doesn't have any reliability record. Here is an expert:
You must have missed this line:

Quote:
Meanwhile, is the C better than the Glock 19? Yes. Yes it is.
That was the last line of the article before specs.

The issues he mentioned he admitted where minor. For starters they where in reference to the unusual quick sights which few people get. So that is a non-issue.

Reliability has also been well proven. By the German Govt as well as posters here who have put several thousand rounds through theirs in a day.
Old 09-19-2012, 19:44   #31
jp3975

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialwork911 View Post
i haven't heard them stand up against attacks...one arab country to another...too much oil involved maybe
I havent heard YOU stand up against the KKK. Therefore you must be racist.

Saying you havent heard them stand up against terrorism is a very weak argument.
Old 09-19-2012, 19:51   #32
s&wfan

All of the plastic guns are roughly equal in terms of quality of build, reliability, and durability. You basically have HK and then below them you have everyone else.

I buy M&P to support an American company, but Sig, GLOCK, Beretta, and HK all provide American jobs.

I would not have a problem with buying a gun made in UAE. HK sold guns to our enemies during the early days of the war in either Afghanistan or Iraq, don't see people boycotting them.

Gun companies exist to sell guns. If Beretta and Armalite want to have guns made in Turkey, Springfield wants to have guns build in the Philippenes(sp?), Brazil, and Croatia... Just buy the best gun you can find.

I don't like M&P only because they are made in the USA. I buy them because all of the German/Austrian guns kicking Smith's butt made them R&D their tails off, which resulted in one hell of a pistol. Granting US companies your dollar without expecting them to earn it does no one any favor.
s&wfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:16   #33
checkyoursix

Quote:
You must have missed this line:

That was the last line of the article before specs.

The issues he mentioned he admitted where minor. For starters they where in reference to the unusual quick sights which few people get. So that is a non-issue.

Reliability has also been well proven. By the German Govt as well as posters here who have put several thousand rounds through theirs in a day.
You do have a point for sure, but so have I since the author also says he wouldn't choose it as an EDC. I am not entirely sure the sights are a minor issue, in my experience sights make a world of difference when it comes to hit fast or miss fast.

As for the reliability I am sure it will be fine, the designer is a first class individual and the gun felt well made when I shot it.

Bertrand Russell

Last edited by checkyoursix; 09-20-2012 at 05:17..
checkyoursix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:30   #34
ZO6Vettever

I understand the frames are made from glue and ground camel hoofs. It must be true, I read it on line!

Remember, we're all on the same side!

Army Vet Dec 1965 - Dec 1971
ZO6Vettever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:50   #35
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
The sights can be changed, so that's no issue at all.

What IS an issue, and a major one, is that current 9MM GLOCK pistols are crap.....complete and utter crap.

I have owned 13 GLOCK pistols, and would not buy a current 9MM GLOCK at this point.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:12   #36
jbglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustin View Post
I can't stand the way that guy writes...

Any way I am eager to try out a Caracal. If it shoots better then I will switch over. After about 2k rounds through 3 different 9mm Glocks (19,26, then 17) I still shoot high and left. I'm thinking there might be a better polymer option out there for me. I can shoot one ragged hole all day with a 1911 but that is to be expected with the best trigger out there.
It's you. I can do that with a good 1911 or a Glock.

What exactly is the country of origin for the Caracal? I mean is it a terrorist friendly country?
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:43   #37
plouffedaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbglock View Post
It's you. I can do that with a good 1911 or a Glock.

What exactly is the country of origin for the Caracal? I mean is it a terrorist friendly country?

Caracal's are produced in Germany and the UAE. Imported by Caracal USA (some have been imported by Waffen Werks and Davidsons) in Alabama.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:44   #38
jbglock

What little reading I just did leads me to believe that UAE is an ally in the fight against terrorism. Am I missing something?
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:39   #39
DaBurna

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
Caracal's are produced in Germany and the UAE. Imported by Caracal USA (some have been imported by Waffen Werks and Davidsons) in Alabama.

Nah Plouff.... Vaffen (W's are V's in German) Verks is in K'ville, TN

SAI (Stey'rs Importer) here in Trussville, AL is the newest importer... Both of my pistols came from Bud's and were of the Waffen Werks Variety...
DaBurna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:48   #40
douggmc

Quote:
I havent heard YOU stand up against the KKK. Therefore you must be racist.
Well ... He is a racist. At least according to his first post. Making decisions based on someone's / a group's ethnicity leaves no other explanation.

Replace the word "Arab" with "White/Caucasian" and read his post out loud to yourself.

Last edited by douggmc; 09-20-2012 at 12:51..
douggmc is offline   Reply With Quote