Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:07   #1
alwaysshootin

How to get carry, to Put In Bay, Ohio?

Going to travel north to spend a weekend in Put In Bay. Taking a ferry ride, from Port Clinton! How can I legally get my carry weapon to my destination? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-18-2012, 11:41   #2
sourdough44

Does the ferry prohibit it? I'd think there would be a way to do it. Lock it in your trunk, spare tire bin?

Last edited by sourdough44; 09-18-2012 at 11:42..
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 13:52   #3
Chup

The Ferry was posted, I carried mine IWB just like I always do. Nobody said a thing.
Chup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 13:53   #4
Chup

The Ferry was posted, I carried mine IWB just like I always do. Nobody said a thing.
Chup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 16:41   #5
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chup View Post
You know, I will carry in a grocery store that is posted, without hesitation! A ship, ran by the Coast Guard, though, and being posted, can you imagine if you got caught?

Was there a couple of summers ago, and yes it is well posted. Kind of like walking into a federal building, or court house type of posting, with I'm sure stiff penalties if caught. I wasn't checked either, but my mothers purse was. Last time, we were just visiting for the day, so I went back to the truck, and locked it up. This time we are staying for the weekend.

I have hundreds of miles of travel, many stops in between. I want to carry, so I'll ask again, is there a legal way to get my carry to my destination?
Old 09-18-2012, 20:14   #6
paintballwannab

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysshootin View Post
You know, I will carry in a grocery store that is posted, without hesitation! A ship, ran by the Coast Guard, though, and being posted, can you imagine if you got caught?

Was there a couple of summers ago, and yes it is well posted. Kind of like walking into a federal building, or court house type of posting, with I'm sure stiff penalties if caught. I wasn't checked either, but my mothers purse was. Last time, we were just visiting for the day, so I went back to the truck, and locked it up. This time we are staying for the weekend.

I have hundreds of miles of travel, many stops in between. I want to carry, so I'll ask again, is there a legal way to get my carry to my destination?
Unless I'm not catching something they're not operated by the USCG, Miller boat lines and jetexpress are normal companies that offer a service.

The only way I know of to do it no questions perfect would be to either borrow a friends boat, or rent a private charter to take you out there.

Have you tried calling either of the ferry services and asking them, it maybe something that comes up often enough and they've made arrangements for such situations.
paintballwannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:25   #7
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballwannab View Post
Unless I'm not catching something they're not operated by the USCG, Miller boat lines and jetexpress are normal companies that offer a service.

The only way I know of to do it no questions perfect would be to either borrow a friends boat, or rent a private charter to take you out there.

Have you tried calling either of the ferry services and asking them, it maybe something that comes up often enough and they've made arrangements for such situations.
Thank you, I will do just that!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:51   #8
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Sneak it into your wife's purse.

She doesn't have a clue what all is in there.

If she gets caught she will simply think she forgot about putting it there.

Last edited by bustedknee; 09-19-2012 at 10:53..
bustedknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 15:51   #9
paintballwannab

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
Sneak it into your wife's purse.

She doesn't have a clue what all is in there.

If she gets caught she will simply think she forgot about putting it there.

man that's just wrong...funny....but wrong
paintballwannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:25   #10
steveksux
Massive Member

Check with the coast guard, a certain size/class of vessel will be a federal matter and have serious repercussions is caught. Similar to having one on a plane if I'm not mistaken. I think if they have to file security plan with CG, it's off limits. I asked about a riverboat cruise because it might stray into Canadian waters, that wasn't a problem, but the vessel was off limits due to size/# of passengers making it a certain class of vessel under CG jurisdiction.

Call the Coast Guard, check the CG forum here. it's one thing to risk civil infraction for a posted business, quite another thing to risk a federal beef.

AT LEAST I would lock it unloaded in the trunk and try to get by on the new fed law on traveling with firearm.
Appearing to give serious effort to being legal looks a lot better than trying to push the envelope when you've screwed and relying on officials discretion whether to charge you or not. I would NOT want to have it on me in that case.

Randy

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited by steveksux; 09-28-2012 at 08:35..
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:43   #11
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballwannab View Post
Thank you all. This is all that was needed! Had a great time!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:01   #12
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

the USCG does not enforce state gun laws. the USCG enforces federal laws. there are no federal laws which the USCG will enforce against carrying a handgun on a privately owned, run, or operated u.s. registered boat.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 09-28-2012 at 09:01..
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 21:46   #13
Skid_on_Roadkill

My co-worker just went in July, took Miller Ferry to/from Put-in-Bay.
He claims "fat people" were blocking sign.
Carried all day long.
No one knew.