SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-28-2012, 17:06   #21
RDW
BTDT

Of course I would!
Formerly Posted as "Big Dawg #383" (10/2000)
Joined John Birch Society in 1961; when others were Hippie Scum & NOW they're running our Country!

I'm MUCH MORE Conservative NOW.
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 17:21   #22
kenpoprofessor

According to many here, you should just be a good witness and let the cops handle it. You're not qualified to clear your own home, much less a riot of this nature.

My answer, as was said above, if they're old enough to hurt other people, they're old enough to get hurt right back .

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde
Old 04-28-2012, 17:58   #23
hagar

I ALREADY know which kids in the neighborhood I'm going to shoot first in case of TSHTF. Although there are 2 less recently since momma did not pay the mortgage and they got evicted.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:56   #24
countrygun

Why would you let a neighbor do something that you would shoot a stranger for? Seems like it would take away the justification for shooting anyone at all in the circumstances
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:58   #25
dango

To get respect you got to give respect , yes , I will shoot anyone trying to harm what is mine , even my brother !
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:51   #26
dcc12

After watching a show on the 20th anniversary of the Rodney King riots, where the media interviewed people involved at the time. Rioters, LAPD, Korean merchants, citizens. The thoughts of the rioters today was truly scary. Yes if that time comes and you cannot evacuate to safe ground lots of ammo and shoot to wound I don't want dead bodies stinking up the neighborhood, and I do want fellow rioters to feel the need to carry their buddies to help.
dcc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 14:04   #27
AZL

[QUOTE=dcc12;19128703]After watching a show on the 20th anniversary of the Rodney King riots, where the media interviewed people involved at the time. Rioters, LAPD, Korean merchants, citizens. The thoughts of the rioters today was truly scary. Yes if that time comes and you cannot evacuate to safe ground lots of ammo and shoot to wound I don't want dead bodies stinking up the neighborhood, and I do want fellow rioters to feel the need to carry their buddies to help.[/QUOTE]

I am NOT flaming you here...please don't take it that way...

I don't think people engaged in violent and riotous behavior are going to stop to carry anyone anywhere in the extreme majority of cases, by their very actions, they have abandoned any and all humane behavior, and they may not BE with friends or people they know...merely part of a general mob.

Shooting to wound is NEVER good juju. You must think "Shoot to stop, and do so by the fastest most effective means possible" Remember if a shot is JUSTIFIED it is by definition necessary to STOP an act capable of inflicting "immediate and otherwise unavoidable death or grave bodily harm"

Some places DO allow one to use lethal force in protection of property...but you had better know the pertinent case law where YOU live. Many jurisdictions allow the use of lethal force to stop the arson of an OCCUPIED structure, or one a reasonable person would BELIEVE to be occupied. But you have to be able to articulate this....possibly an elderly neighbor or a house with children...

Then again a house in close proximity to yours could REASONABLY be believed to cause your home to burn also, especially when FIRE/EMS would be stretched so thin as to not be able to respond...so, you have to be able to articulate that.

There are a LOT of variables that could be discussed and argued about for hours and hours and pages and pages...the salient point is: Be careful, sadly doing what is MORALLY right isn't always what is LEGALLY right.

Yet another reason why I love living out in the middle of nowhere. My neighbors are ranchers, dairy farmers, cotton farmers, and other folks who likewise HATE living in the city. None of us are given to riotous behavior.

I think however it is very wise to plan for something SOON. The Trayvon case could bring in a verdict of not guilty, and that very well could spark a riot (ease up mods...I am NOT starting a Trayvon thread...just citing a likely example relevent to the present day).

So....if you are FORCED TO FIRE TO STOP AN IMMEDIATE AND OTHERWISE UNAVOIDABLE THREAT OF DEATH OR GRAVE BODILY HARM...be able to articulate WHY you were FORCED to act in the manner in which you did to STOP the threat. (notice FORCED was used a lot? That is a particularly good word if you are FORCED to fire in self defense or in defense of others whom you have the legal right to protect)

All I am sayinig is think it all the way through!
AZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:41   #28
crazycathed

a couple shots from one of my 50's loaded with HP rounds would stop that real quick
Old 08-14-2012, 05:21   #29
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
This is purely a hypothetical question but would you shoot rioters near your home if they were burning the homes and cars and beating the residents down? Here is another addition..what if the rioters were kids from your own neighborhood? Would you shoot them down without compunction to save yourself and other and your property?

In my opinion I think it would be justified if anarchy breaks out.
Of course I would. Who are you thinking you might have to shoot, if not your neighbors? How often do you see a riot where people meet across town to get it started? If you are in the middle of a riot, at your home, your neighbors are the rioters.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:35   #30
Bluestreakfl

If it meant the survival of myself and my loved ones, I wouldn't hesitate. The neighbors on one side are an older couple, I'd make sure they were safe or have them hunker down with us. The other neighbor, well I've never actually met him. He's got a bit larger property, surrounded by fence and trees, motion sensor lights everywhere, and cameras. I just have a feeling anyone trying to enter his property would leave in pieces. We live down a little dirt road off a main state road. It used to be I could sit out back and just listen to the frogs and crickets, but now more often, I hear the sound of someone's rap rumbling everything in a 1/2 mile radius, and the riff raff seems to be slowly encroaching. Hope I never have to worry about it, but I'm prepared if it were to happen. One poster on a similar thread said something that made perfect sense and kinda brought an evil grin to my face. Something to the effect of the first shot goes to the leader, right to the gut or groin. The screaming cries of pain are demoralizing to the rest of the mob. Next shot goes to anyone who runs to aid him.

Sent from my phone booth
G27 Gen3, Mossberg 500A, Mossberg 702 Plinkster, Armi Salvinelli 12gauge Strapgun. Florida Glockers Club #941
"Politics is 2 wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote."
Bluestreakfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 17:20   #31
Yrdawg
Senior Moment

As said...better know the law. Sometimes when the smoke clears the good guys become bad guys under the " law " . When and if my situation becomes the protecting of safety and even life ...all bets are off. The ID of the offender matters not.

We live at the dead end of a dirt road, very hard to surprise me and even harder to over run me.

My encouragement to every one is to get out of towns ASAP.
Yrdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 22:03   #32
AZL

Someone brought up a good point..."neighbor" does NOT necessarily equal "friend".

After having lived for some years in a so-called "neighborhood" in a city before moving to our current digs out in the desert...I couldn't count a single "neighbor" a "friend". True...some were folks we'd wave to, or wave to us. Some looked upon my wife and I as "the cops down the street" and thus...either hated us for our jobs, or avoided us for whatever other reason. My next-door neighbors were in their 60's and were as close to friends as we got there.

The dynamic has changed I suppose in the Home Owner's Association developments many find themselves in. When I was a wee lad...we still had "friends and neighbors" you could count on.

It is just one of the many things that suck nowadays.

"If you take your hands off the back of my cruiser one more time, I will make your birth certificate a worthless document." Me Again

Last edited by AZL; 09-10-2012 at 22:04..
AZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:58   #33
ZO6Vettever

Quote:
Let's say around 17 and they are burning homes and cars. Beating people with tire irons too. Like a typical riot.
Yes, that is self preservation if not self defense.

Remember, we're all on the same side!

Army Vet Dec 1965 - Dec 1971
ZO6Vettever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:02   #34
PaulMason

Quote:
This is purely a hypothetical question but would you shoot rioters near your home if they were burning the homes and cars and beating the residents down? Here is another addition..what if the rioters were kids from your own neighborhood? Would you shoot them down without compunction to save yourself and other and your property?

In my opinion I think it would be justified if anarchy breaks out.
You should move to a better neighborhood.
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:07   #35
HoldHard

Detroit. July 23, 1967. 43 dead. 1,189 injured.

My next door neighbor handed out his gun collection to selected neighbors he trusted, making sure they were armed.

I clearly remember my father getting a side-by-side 410 shotgun and a handful of shells.

Some things have changed in 45 years. Some have not.

HH

The Furball Forum

The Furball Forum

The Furball Forum

Last edited by HoldHard; 09-17-2012 at 11:43..
HoldHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:14   #36
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

when my life or my families is threatened, I will use deadly force to protect myself and my family.

Why is "who is threatening my life" a consideration?

I was on a jury where two jurors worried that convicting a pedophile would "hurt his reputation". Who doesn't matter, lives do.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:20   #37
rohanreginald
Novice

I know that I have one neighbor who would join me in afire fight if rioting were to envelope our neighborhood.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 09-17-2012, 16:35   #38
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Yes especially if it was my neighbor who is a damn yankee yard nazi.

Old 09-17-2012, 16:43   #39
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

~ "Would you shoot rioters if they were neighbors?" ~

My "Neighbors" are not like that.....If they turned into ignorant Zombies and started doing the things "ignorant" zombies do.... well of course...its do or die.
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 18:12   #40
jtull7
Pistolero

You guys live in the wrong neighborhoods.

I would never live in a neighborhood where I thought my neighbors would riot, no matter what the provocation.

I have great respect for my neighbors, and they have great respect for me. They are honorable and non-violent people. We take care of each other.

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-*****.
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote