Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-16-2012, 19:24   #1
emjei

Striker Safety Plug POLISHING

Hey guys....does anyone tried to polish or even file the Safety Striker Plug in order to get rid of the Gritty trigger feeling ?

As part of the Fulcrum Kit you get a more rounded plug but I think the OEM can be made that way...any thoughts ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
emjei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 21:04   #2
emjei

Gunsmithing

Attached Thumbnails
Gunsmithing - Click for larger version  
Old 09-16-2012, 21:25   #3
cciman

I have both, I can't say that it makes much difference in a tactical or SD gun.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:36   #4
emjei

In a M&P it makes a difference...Im just curious if I can file an OEM and make it round

Old 09-17-2012, 06:05   #5
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjei View Post
In a M&P it makes a difference...Im just curious if I can file an OEM and make it round

Please don't ruin it with a file. What you see was machined and re-chromed or coated with a nickel finish.

Chucking it up in a mandrel and turing it with emory cloth is going to cut through the finish also.

Many times parts are made from softer material and then coated with a harder outer coating to produce a cheaper longer lasting piece.
Just an opinion.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:22   #6
emjei

Can you give more tips on how to do it ?

Last edited by emjei; 09-17-2012 at 06:25..
Old 09-17-2012, 10:32   #7
Dave.1

Sorry I don't have a link, but a very smart guy over at the M&P Boards used this method several years ago to solve the grit problem. I think it was mp9werks. I haven't been there in quite a while.

He took a small roll pin, removed the spring from the striker block and ground the pin to fit the hole in the striker block. He then chucked it up in his Dremel Tool and polished the block on low speed.

This solved the gritty trigger problem the M&Ps were having long before Apex came out with their products.

Dave
Dave.1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:19   #8
soomz

I changed mine with a titanium plug and honestly I don't feel too much of a difference. you can check this video out to get an idea on how its done.

http://youtu.be/D-jQ0UOM7XQ (1of2)

(2of2)
soomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:03   #9
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

I've got both. All by itself a reshaped safety button head ain't going to make much of a difference. I don't like the one in the picture because in addition to reshaping the side profile, (Which gives the most improvement.) the head's flat profile has, also, been reduced in size - Which is not good.

Older Glock striker (FP) safeties are solid steel; newer, 'cost effective' ones are nickel plated. Unless you intend to have the modified part replated (Which CAN be done if you want to go to the trouble of finding a shop.) I'm going to suggest that you leave the newer nickel plated safety buttons alone.

Besides, the new longer steeper, 'sear kick-plate' angle on Glock's most recent trigger bars makes cleaning up and smoothing out a Glock trigger's, 'let-off' a lot tougher. I've got two older (low serial number) third generation G-21's that have genuinely nice reworked and polished, but entirely stock, triggers in them.

However, I can't get the, 'let-off' on my newer (higher serial number) third generation G-19, with the newest version trigger bar inside, to be anywhere near as smooth and light. On the plus side, though, the newer G-19's, 'Safe-Action' is much less likely to, 'stack' than any of the older trigger bars I've worked on.

Nowadays, if you want a better trigger on a Glock you've got to think Vanek! http://www.vanekcustom.com/3.html

Last edited by Arc Angel; 11-29-2012 at 06:06..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:46   #10
emjei

I end up buying the one from ZEV..... Real difference ? Nahhh....

.25c with connector and spring set....yeahhhh

Gloh Gloh Glohhk..Feliz Navidad !!!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 20:16   #11
digilo

Polishing the entire outer surface of the plunger reduces grit. I don't reshape them, just break the sharp edge. Some of the gritty feel is the trigger bar sliding under it- but some of the grit is from the plunger moving in the slide. I polish the whole outer surface of the plunger, by chucking the plunger directly into a drill motor and spinning it against 400, 600, and 1000 grit paper. I also chuck the spring into the drill and polish the outer surface of the spring, as it moves in and out of a hole in the plunger, and if rough, can contribute grit. Then I polish the hole in the slide the plunger moves in, using sandpaper rolled up and chucked into the drill, then polish with a Q-tip with cotton wadding wound around it. This also works in the firing pin spring channel.

Yes to the M&P also! I did this to my M&P9C after looking at the prices of the Apex stuff, I just did the $.25 Glock trigger job to the M&P, and it smoothed it out a lot.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:57   #12
Veedubklown

I mirrored the finish of mine with a dremel felt tip and some polisher's rouge. By itself, it doesn't do much to your trigger. Polishing all the parts, and leaving that out, however, will make a noticeable difference. It won't make your trigger pull lighter, just smoother.