SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-16-2012, 17:59   #21
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsaneok View Post
I tried WSF but it spewed out of the Dillon measure with haste. Seemed like a waste.
What was the specific problem? I used WSF for some 9mm loads (4.0 gr with 147 gr MG CMJ) and it seemed to work fine.

Richard
Old 09-16-2012, 18:21   #22
justinsaneok

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
What was the specific problem? I used WSF for some 9mm loads (4.0 gr with 147 gr MG CMJ) and it seemed to work fine.

Richard
I was trying to say it leaked all over the place. It came out around the charge bar on the measure. It rained powder with every pull of the handle. I should have just said that.
justinsaneok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 19:02   #23
F106 Fan

Quote:
I was trying to say it leaked all over the place. It came out around the charge bar on the measure. It rained powder with every pull of the handle. I should have just said that.
That seems odd! It has been a few months since I loaded those 9mm rounds but I don't recall any spillage.

I'll look for it the next time I make that load.

Richard
Old 09-16-2012, 19:28   #24
unclebob

Measure your powder bar and powder bar spacer and then call Dillon one or both are cut undersize. You should have no leakage.
GSSF Life Member
Old 09-16-2012, 20:07   #25
justinsaneok

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
Measure your powder bar and powder bar spacer and then call Dillon one or both are cut undersize. You should have no leakage.
Interesting. I'll get on that. I thought that was lame myself.
justinsaneok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 20:40   #26
ETNSHOOTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIN2010 View Post
AA#5 with 5.5 - 6.0 grs under 180gr plated.
I use 5.5 gr. of AA#5 in my SR40 with a Lee 175 gr. TC bullet that I casted my self and it shoots very good and very little leading. power pistol is good too.
ETNSHOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 22:48   #27
fredj338

Quote:
You need a new measure or charge bar. There is always some small leaking w/ really fine ball pwoders but shouldn't be an issue w/ WSF.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 22:50   #28
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpruitt54 View Post
Interesting, this not the first time I've heard HP-38 described as a spherical ball powder. There must be a loose definition of the term spherical. HP-38's individual particles are small flat disks. Where Accurate #2's individual particles are small spherical granules. So, I am confused as to how the two products can be called spherical powders. I am new to all this.
Well the term ball powder & spherical are interchangeable, but not identical. Ball powder is just that, small round grains. Spherical is a flattened ball powder, not a true flake. It's mostly in how it is made as much as the shape. Flake powders are cut, ball/spherical are formed.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 09-23-2012 at 22:50..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:39   #29
m2hmghb

I like Power Pistol in 40. I use Titegroup for light loads with lead but that's it.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:44   #30
Rinconjoe

Send a message via Yahoo to Rinconjoe
I use WSF. 180 gr fmj
Old 09-25-2012, 05:48   #31
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
I like Power Pistol in 40. I use Titegroup for light loads with lead but that's it.
Tightgroup smokes a lot with lead, You should try solo 1000 or WST.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:54   #32
m2hmghb

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
Tightgroup smokes a lot with lead, You should try solo 1000 or WST.
Not for Cowboy Action loads or for mouse fart loads in 45. YMMV

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:11   #33
scccdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkis18 View Post
I'm going to start loading .40 pretty soon (have dies and about 1200 cases, once fired collected from desert shooting) but had some questions before I start.

First, I would prefer to load either 180 or 155gr FMJ as that is readily abundant at my gun shop. which is generally preferred around here for shooting in glocks? A lot of the posts I have seen say go light. ***I am getting an M&P40C soon***

My current powder stash only consists of Titegroup and Unique. I've seen a few Unique references but when I test threw a load last week it looked like it didn't leave much room for the bullet, if any. Plus it's dirty as a mofo in my experience but haven't loaded any hot loads with it to compare. My concern with Titegroup though is would it add to the bulge problem on high end loads? If using Titegroup should I go with a lighter load to help make safety checks easier?

Any other powders to consider that could be used versatile? I saw a good number of people endorsing Power Pistol. The ultimate goal would be to use one powder for .38sp .40 and .45acp or at least 2 of them. Less inventory just makes life easier!

I won't open the can of worms about shooting lead in Glocks. But my friend prefers FMJ in his baby (XDm40 3.8) and with him splitting the cost of supplies buying jacketed it's an easier sell to shoot jacketed through everything. I know, bad reason but anything he pays for is worth it!

here's some prospect loads I've gathered lately;
155gr JSP
5.4-5.9gr Titegroup (Lee manual)

180gr FMJ
5.0-5.6gr Unique (forum listed)

180gr TMJ
4.2-4.7gr Titegroup (forum listed)

Thanks for any advice.
Those are good powders, but I use Hodgdon HP-38 and load the minimum load for plinking with 165 grain FMJ. Works for me........DOC
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:31   #34
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
Not for Cowboy Action loads or for mouse fart loads in 45. YMMV
Titegroup will always smoke more then Solo or WST because TG has Nitro in it and Solo and WST do not.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:22   #35
glk36lvr

Hey guys, newbie to GT. In regards to loading the 40 s&w, i would highly recommend getting a .40 "bulge removal" die from either Lee,redding or rcbs. Regular resizing dies will not remove the bulge caused by Glocks unsupported chamber because it's too far back on the case. If reloaded without removing "bulge" on case it could result in a case failure! It happened to me. luckily no one was injured and damage to gun was minor(broken mag release).I dont reload the 40 until i remove the bulge first.
glk36lvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 17:02   #36
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by glk36lvr View Post
Hey guys, newbie to GT. In regards to loading the 40 s&w, i would highly recommend getting a .40 "bulge removal" die from either Lee,redding or rcbs. Regular resizing dies will not remove the bulge caused by Glocks unsupported chamber because it's too far back on the case. If reloaded without removing "bulge" on case it could result in a case failure! It happened to me. luckily no one was injured and damage to gun was minor(broken mag release).I dont reload the 40 until i remove the bulge first.
Will these myths ever die?
GSSF Life Member
Old 09-29-2012, 20:50   #37
shotgunred
reloading nut

apparently not!
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:49   #38
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Well the term ball powder & spherical are interchangeable, but not identical. Ball powder is just that, small round grains. Spherical is a flattened ball powder, not a true flake. It's mostly in how it is made as much as the shape. Flake powders are cut, ball/spherical are formed.
Not that it is too terribly important, but there is also a practical reason for the differences in semantics. "Ball" is a registered trademark of Winchester. So if it is a spherical powder made by Winchester, it is "Ball" powder. Otherwise other manufacturers must use a term other than "ball."

Example: When Accurate made no. 7 & no. 9 in Belgium up until a couple of years ago, they were round-shaped but called "spherical." The newer lots made in USA are flattened, but still referred to as "spherical."
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 17:56   #39
plasticslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by glk36lvr View Post
Smh...

Sent from a bush outside your window...
Old 10-02-2012, 20:41   #40
igolfat8

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticslap View Post
Smh...
OK, I give, what is Smh...?
igolfat8 is offline   Reply With Quote