Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-14-2012, 13:11   #1
S.Kargoh

So, prize guns...?

Reluctant to post this, because I know the "official" info is out there, and I don't want to sound like I am complaining.

But basically, just wanted to hear how the process went for you.

I sent in a certificate for a g26 gen 4 around July 10 or so with an ffl copy and the form and a check for the upgrade fee. I think I remember it saying that you had to also include tax on the upgrade fee only. So my upgrade fee was 35$ buti just included a tax of 25% because I didn't know which figure to use.
So I haven't heard anything back, so I checked with the bank and that check cleared on august 13th. I assume everything is progressing normally.

But will I receive a notice from glock or gssf or ffl when gun is shipped? Who pays shipping?

I have not worked with this ffl before but selected it because it was close and cheap. It is a pawn shop. A nearby gun shop wanted 85$ for a transfer fee. Yikes. Another shop said that I had to pay them tax on the value of the firearm , even though it was free.

So now I am cornfused and my memory is dull on what I remember when I first started the process. Tell me about your timeline and process.

Thanks
S.Kargoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 13:43   #2
yobohadi
Peon Trainee

I am of little help with the GSSF process, but I do know that picking your FFL is possibly the most important decision you will ever make in your lifetime. You should take more time with this than picking out your children's pediatrician, your fiancee, or even your fantasy football team.

And I would stay away from the FFL that wants to charge $85 for 10 minutes of their time. I assume that they just didn't want to deal with the transfer.
yobohadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 13:46   #3
JTSmith
gfdrńł

The tax is whatever your state tax is.

All of my guns have been inconsistent as far as the time in between sending off payment, the check being cashed, and the FFL contacting me to pick it up.
JTSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 14:02   #4
SARDG

Remember, Glock says 150 day delivery - that's 5 months. I've been advised several times that Glock makes guns in batches, in which case you'd have to wait for G26s to roll around on the line.

You know state tax isn't going to be 25% (I hope) so that was gross overkill. Glock will not call you when it is shipped. Come on S., you know Glock better than that... It's up to your FFL to call you when it comes in; that's why you need to supply your phone number at the top of the certificate.

Since Glock doesn't have a line for adding shipping, I came to realize that Glock pays it. The ONLY charge I get from my FFL is his regular Xfer fee - 25 bucks.

In January you'll get a 1099.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 14:10   #5
S.Kargoh

Ok, thanks everyone. I kinda figured all that from my previous reeadings but it was starting to get cloudy In my mind.

I am not really worried about waiting time, moreso that I crossed all the I's and dotted the t's. Or something like that.

Yeah, I figured the tax was overkill. But it was still only 8$ or something. I figured I would err on the cautious side. Just in case there was some other special tax I didn't know about.
Old 09-14-2012, 14:17   #6
SARDG

It also says that a pen and ink signature FFL is required, but when I spoke with Donna last, she said the ATF relaxed that and a copy is good. HOWEVER, don't take that word for gospel as the next time you order, it may have changed again.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:14   #7
MajorD

as mentioned it all depends on what guns are being produced at the time, demand, etc. they cash the check as soon as they get it but then the gun takes more time,sometimes a lot more. I'd imagine that a 26 wouldn't be as long as some others. I did this last year (had two winning certificates and they shipped both guns at the same time.) IIRC, sent certificates in around early september and guns showed up in december (a 26 gen 3 and 19 gen 4)
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:31   #8
misunderestimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobohadi View Post
I am of little help with the GSSF process, but I do know that picking your FFL is possibly the most important decision you will ever make in your lifetime. You should take more time with this than picking out your children's pediatrician, your fiancee, or even your fantasy football team.

And I would stay away from the FFL that wants to charge $85 for 10 minutes of their time. I assume that they just didn't want to deal with the transfer.

Not to side track a thread,but with more and more guns being purchased on line, Our local gun stores are not making there money on selling guns so they are going to have to pay the bills by the transfers. I am ok and understand Guns stores should be able to make money on a transfer if they did not make money on the sale of the gun.Its fair and reasonable ,Now if you bought 12 guns a year from a FFl then he should waive the fee,And although it looks like 10 minutes of there time they had to go thru allot to become an FFL
misunderestimated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:38   #9
misunderestimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Kargoh View Post
Reluctant to post this, because I know the "official" info is out there, and I don't want to sound like I am complaining.

But basically, just wanted to hear how the process went for you.

I sent in a certificate for a g26 gen 4 around July 10 or so with an ffl copy and the form and a check for the upgrade fee. I think I remember it saying that you had to also include tax on the upgrade fee only. So my upgrade fee was 35$ buti just included a tax of 25% because I didn't know which figure to use.
So I haven't heard anything back, so I checked with the bank and that check cleared on august 13th. I assume everything is progressing normally.

But will I receive a notice from glock or gssf or ffl when gun is shipped? Who pays shipping?

I have not worked with this ffl before but selected it because it was close and cheap. It is a pawn shop. A nearby gun shop wanted 85$ for a transfer fee. Yikes. Another shop said that I had to pay them tax on the value of the firearm , even though it was free.

So now I am cornfused and my memory is dull on what I remember when I first started the process. Tell me about your timeline and process.

Thanks
My last gun sat at the FFL for 2 weeks as he said he was not sure whose gun it was. Stay in touch with your FFL.

I will check my calender from last year for the time it took from certificate to in my hands. I know it sounds crazy but i enjoy the time waiting for my guns as it gives me a distraction from the day to day concerns wondering where my new gun is
Old 09-22-2012, 11:50   #10
misunderestimated

Last Year I sent in my sons certificate, We ordered a G31C on December 8th 2001 and then picked it up at our LCS on Feb 16th 2012 about 10 weeks, He claimed it was sitting for 2 weeks so it took around 8 weeks to get to store.
Old 09-22-2012, 13:33   #11
mike g35

All I know is I'm still waiting on my cert from Marietta. I didn't pay tax on my last one, only paid a $30 transfer fee which is being waved on the one I'm waiting on now. Can't believe I gotta file Glock taxes this year. LOL But I'll do it with a smile LOL

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 09-23-2012, 12:14   #12
misunderestimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
All I know is I'm still waiting on my cert from Marietta. I didn't pay tax on my last one, only paid a $30 transfer fee which is being waved on the one I'm waiting on now. Can't believe I gotta file Glock taxes this year. LOL But I'll do it with a smile LOL

By the way congratulation on winning more then one certificate

Do they send you the form when they issue the certificate? Or when you redeem the certificate. I only ask this wondering if you could redeem one certificate one year and the other next year.Also how much do you have to pay
Old 09-23-2012, 12:28   #13
mike g35

Quote:
Originally Posted by misunderestimated View Post
By the way congratulation on winning more then one certificate

Do they send you the form when they issue the certificate? Or when you redeem the certificate. I only ask this wondering if you could redeem one certificate one year and the other next year.Also how much do you have to pay
They send you a certificate, you chose your model Glock on the certificate and then mail it back (filled out completely) along with a copy of the FFL you want it sent to. A few months later.....new gun arrives. There are upgrade fees for different models and to get gen 4 guns.

Old 09-23-2012, 14:01   #14
9mmdude

I put my certificate in the second week or so of June and got it at the third week in July to the dealer. I ordered a Gen3 26 so I think supply and demand does in fact play a role. I got a gun that was new but manufactured years ago. Thought it was weird that the serial number was so old but it came with a gen4 recoil spring. (NCK Serial #).
9mmdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:53   #15
S.Kargoh

Update:

Got my gen4 26 in. (you may have seen my pic thread).

I think I submitted certificate some time around July 10.
Won it at Portland June 2-3.

So, 80 days or so. FFL called to say I got a package. They let me open it, which was good. 3 mags. Casings test was 8-10-2012.

FFL asked how much I paid. I told them it was a prize gun that I paid 35$ plus tax on. The original guy I talked to wasn't there. These guys looked confused. Said I had to pay them tax on bluebook value of gun. Plus transfer.

Whatever. I didn't want to argue, so I paid it. Not sure if
ecessary.

Then I asked for copy of the ffl with ink signatures for next two certificates I will be getting. They said they would just email electronic. I tried to explain that while the atf accepts electronic copies and faxes, the gssf requires the old "paper copy with ink signature." They looked confused, even skeptical, even untrusting of my explanation.

They produced a paper copy, sans ink. I said I needed the ink signature, but they were uncooperative-in that they didn't know what I was talking about and the actual ffl holder wasn't there. Ugh. This is the second place to throw a fit about the ink ffl. The first place argued , "they can't give me the original license" even though I tried to explain that it was a copy with ink signature. They told me they can't let customers have that, as it would be illegal.

Used to get transfers all the time in Az when I lived there. Easy peasy and cheapy.

Why so much haranging nowadays?

Oh well. Got my first "free" gun at $35+tax upgrade +66$tax and transfer + New sights at ~$100.

Last edited by S.Kargoh; 09-28-2012 at 08:59..
Old 09-28-2012, 09:50   #16
SARDG

Quote:
Update:

Then I asked for copy of the ffl with ink signatures for next two certificates I will be getting...

They produced a paper copy, sans ink. I said I needed the ink signature, but they were uncooperative-in that they didn't know what I was talking about and the actual ffl holder wasn't there. Ugh. This is the second place to throw a fit about the ink ffl. The first place argued , "they can't give me the original license" even though I tried to explain that it was a copy with ink signature. They told me they can't let customers have that, as it would be illegal.

I think ATF dropped that requirement. Call Donna.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:04   #17
S.Kargoh

I know the atf will accept faxes and electronic copies. But gssf... Their paperwork checklist says they must have it.

Will call to see next time.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:37   #18
mike g35

Quote:
I know the atf will accept faxes and electronic copies. But gssf... Their paperwork checklist says they must have it.

Will call to see next time.
S., let us know what you find out.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:48   #19
PM720

I am thinking you got double taxed here too. Check with your local tax professional.

Scott
PM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 15:47   #20
BK94

I just take the cert and a check with all paper work filled out in a envelope already addressed and stamped, Ask them to enclose a signed copy of there FFL and mail it in. Havent had a problem yet, they call me when it comes in fill out the paper work toss him a $20 and say thanks.
NRA Life Member
BK94 is offline   Reply With Quote