Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-12-2012, 19:25   #1
Pete7072

New Jersey Compliant WASR ?

Did a search, couldn't find anything. Looking for a New Jersey compliant WASR-10 Rifle. Shot one down at my brother-in-laws in a "friendly" state, and now I want one bad. The only problem is, I live in New Jersey. I know the rules of having one, and what has to be done to make it "compliant", but can I go to PA, buy one, and then make it NJ Compliant, or does anyone know where a shop sells them in New Jersey? Thanks
Pete7072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 21:10   #2
WASRfan

What exactly is a Jersey-compliant WASR??

As an aside; I once had a 1927A1 "fake" TSMG that I sold to a NJ guy, via a NJ FFL; the 10rd TSMG drum and 20rd 30's-vintage mags were GTGO, but the 30rd mags and 50rd drum was shipped to a bud in PA...
WASRfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 21:31   #3
G22Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7072 View Post
Did a search, couldn't find anything. Looking for a New Jersey compliant WASR-10 Rifle. Shot one down at my brother-in-laws in a "friendly" state, and now I want one bad. The only problem is, I live in New Jersey. I know the rules of having one, and what has to be done to make it "compliant", but can I go to PA, buy one, and then make it NJ Compliant, or does anyone know where a shop sells them in New Jersey? Thanks
When I lived in the glorious Garden State I did just that. I bought a Saiga online and had it shipped to PA. They worked on it there and then I took it home
G22Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:23   #4
m2hmghb

NJ compliant is basically AWB compliant with 15 round mags. You do need to check the list to make sure the WASR isn't specifically mentioned by name, if it is you're screwed.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:33   #5
Pete7072

Yeah, it's a real PITA.... Things Like No bayonet lug...Just ridiculous. I was just more curious if any known Shops in the State of ridiculous laws had any in stock, or had any converted already. I was thinking about going out to PA to get one, and then converting it. It just sucks that you will have to spend upwards of $400 to order it, then spend another $100 + to get in converted.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:17   #6
Navitimer

I have sympathy for you guys that have to have your rifles neutered. I like Chris Christie, but NJ's gun laws are silly (along with NY, CA, etc.). Anyway, back to your question. Check out the Saiga 12/Saiga Rifles forum, as there are several guys on there with very nice NJ-compliant AKs. You can build a Saiga that will comply, and you'll end up with a true Russian-made AK built the way you want it. Hope this helps! Please post pics when you score your AK.
Navitimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 17:49   #7
Pete7072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navitimer View Post
I have sympathy for you guys that have to have your rifles neutered. I like Chris Christie, but NJ's gun laws are silly (along with NY, CA, etc.). Anyway, back to your question. Check out the Saiga 12/Saiga Rifles forum, as there are several guys on there with very nice NJ-compliant AKs. You can build a Saiga that will comply, and you'll end up with a true Russian-made AK built the way you want it. Hope this helps! Please post pics when you score your AK.

It isn't Christie ( and I'm not a fan of his at all ) that pushed these laws through, it was the democrats prior to him. I was actually considering doing a build, and buying everything little by little, just not too sure if I have the skills to do it. It's not exactly stripping down a mosin nagant or shotgun.
Old 09-15-2012, 18:08   #8
m2hmghb

ARs are a lot easier in that respect. 300 blackout will get you about the same performance out of an AR as an AK and it uses 5.56 mags which are easy to find in 15 round configuration. If you reload it's an even better round, you can go up to 200 grains or down to 100 grains.

Christie has done some good things, and some bad things in the state, but I'm glad it's him instead of Corslime. So many people have screwed things up in NJ, Corslime especially. It was him that made it a requirement for magazines to be permanently modified to 15 rounds or less, instead of being able to put a block in place.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 19:51   #9
Pete7072

Well as a LEO, I am obviously not a fan of Christie, but that's neither here nor there....

On the AR subject, I currently own one. I am not a fan of them. Great accuracy, very little recoil. During a training session, I had fired around 500 rounds through my department issued Colt M4. It began to malfunction, and had multiple FTF's. I had to remove the bolt, and spray it down with BreakFree CLP, before continuing to shoot.Then this began to happen to just about everyone who was shooting one through out the day. This is one of the reasons, my department has switched to the new HK 416's. Amazing rifles.... I know, I know, When will an average guy shoot 500 + rounds on a given day. However if I go to the range for an entire day, I will.

Back to the WASR subject... I feel that really anyone can go into a local gun store, and purchase a NJ compliant AR-15 w/o a problem. I have yet to meet anyone that owns a WASR or similiar rifle. I loved shooting it, while on vacation. Not as accurate as an AR, but like I said anyone can buy an AR.

Last edited by Pete7072; 09-15-2012 at 19:53..
Old 09-16-2012, 00:34   #10
WASRfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7072 View Post
Well as a LEO, I am obviously not a fan of Christie, but that's neither here nor there....

On the AR subject, I currently own one. I am not a fan of them. Great accuracy, very little recoil. During a training session, I had fired around 500 rounds through my department issued Colt M4. It began to malfunction, and had multiple FTF's. I had to remove the bolt, and spray it down with BreakFree CLP, before continuing to shoot.Then this began to happen to just about everyone who was shooting one through out the day. This is one of the reasons, my department has switched to the new HK 416's. Amazing rifles.... I know, I know, When will an average guy shoot 500 + rounds on a given day. However if I go to the range for an entire day, I will.

Back to the WASR subject... I feel that really anyone can go into a local gun store, and purchase a NJ compliant AR-15 w/o a problem. I have yet to meet anyone that owns a WASR or similiar rifle. I loved shooting it, while on vacation. Not as accurate as an AR, but like I said anyone can buy an AR.
Only thing I know of Christie is that his state has severe limits on the 2A. No other amendment has such restrictions - can only read black and white magazines, only attend approved churches, etc. NO ONE WOULD TOLERATE THAT.

How did the citizens allow this to happen to their 2A rights?

Rant over.

Too bad on the Colt. Supposedly anything less "cant be run hard" as the AR snobs like to say.

I hear you on the 500rds. When I take my semi's to the range, you need to shoot 500rds to make the trip worth the bother.

Too bad on the WASRs - they're in every Dunhams in PA.

Last edited by WASRfan; 09-16-2012 at 00:40..
WASRfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:03   #11
Pete7072

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASRfan View Post
Only thing I know of Christie is that his state has severe limits on the 2A. No other amendment has such restrictions - can only read black and white magazines, only attend approved churches, etc. NO ONE WOULD TOLERATE THAT.

How did the citizens allow this to happen to their 2A rights?

Rant over.

Too bad on the Colt. Supposedly anything less "cant be run hard" as the AR snobs like to say.

I hear you on the 500rds. When I take my semi's to the range, you need to shoot 500rds to make the trip worth the bother.

Too bad on the WASRs - they're in every Dunhams in PA.

Yeah, and there's nothing that's going to change for the good in New Jersey as for as 2nd amendment goes. On the WASR subject, I believe I can go into a store in PA, and if I get lucky, buy it. I will just have to get it converted to NJ Standards, before I bring it into New Jersey. Unless someone knows a PLace on the PA border, that will convert one for me, if I get it shipped to them.

Last edited by Pete7072; 09-16-2012 at 07:06..