GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 12:32   #26
G23Gen4TX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,152
I only need one reason. It sounds like BS. That's it.
G23Gen4TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 13:46   #27
ArrowJ
Senior Member
 
ArrowJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
But it seems they are close to understanding how particles can simply just appear from nothing. That "Nothing" is some how unstable and will always give rise to "Something"... I know it sounds crazy.
I do not know. You have this man made document saying something inccredible happened, that neither he can explain fully nor you can wrap your mind around fully, but we are supposed to take it on faith that given enough time we will understand the full truth of this amazing claim that something can come from nothing? A little ironic perhaps.
ArrowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 14:04   #28
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 13,342


Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowJ View Post
I do not know. You have this man made document saying something inccredible happened, that neither he can explain fully nor you can wrap your mind around fully, but we are supposed to take it on faith that given enough time we will understand the full truth of this amazing claim that something can come from nothing? A little ironic perhaps.
Not on faith, on math. A theory of elementary particle physics is not written in english, it is is written in mathematics. We try to come up with a set of analogies to try to describe the math in ways we can understand (strings, branes, waves, etc), but this is not the actual theory. This is referred to as an interpretation. Interpretations can be flawed and inconsistent and strange and that's ok because their only purpose is to help us conceptualize the math, but the math has to work out correctly every time (actual results match predicted results) in order for the theory to be considered valid and in this case they do.
__________________
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 14:07   #29
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowJ View Post
I do not know. You have this man made document saying something inccredible happened, that neither he can explain fully nor you can wrap your mind around fully, but we are supposed to take it on faith that given enough time we will understand the full truth of this amazing claim that something can come from nothing? A little ironic perhaps.
It isn't perfect. But it's supported by tons more research and brilliant minds than what went into the construction of your book. So no... not really ironic.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 14:12   #30
2@low8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 586
TO: Glock!9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock!9 View Post
I grew up in a Fundamental Baptist home and church, I am now in my mid 30s with a wife and 3 kids. i want nothing to do with Fundamental Baptists and I truly struggle with some of those 10 questions. I will say I do not think it was well written but i understand where he is coming from.
The problem I see on both sides of this debate is anger, intolerance and even hate.
In this forum alone the discussion turns downward right away.
Hope I don't break any forum rules for you Glock!9, but take a long read at www.stufffundieslike.com

Many, many folks have been where you have been...Myself included. PM me if you like.
__________________
If you are interested in Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats see www.solbergfarm.com
2@low8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 14:33   #31
ArrowJ
Senior Member
 
ArrowJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
It isn't perfect. But it's supported by tons more research and brilliant minds than what went into the construction of your book. So no... not really ironic.
Okie dokie.
ArrowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 14:38   #32
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 13,342


Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowJ View Post
I do not know. You have this man made document saying something inccredible happened, that neither he can explain fully nor you can wrap your mind around fully, but we are supposed to take it on faith that given enough time we will understand the full truth of this amazing claim that something can come from nothing? A little ironic perhaps.
I'm sensing sarcasm here, but not sure which way you were going with it?
__________________
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."

Last edited by Geko45; 09-13-2012 at 14:38..
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 17:04   #33
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock!9 View Post
I grew up in a Fundamental Baptist home and church, I am now in my mid 30s with a wife and 3 kids. i want nothing to do with Fundamental Baptists and I truly struggle with some of those 10 questions. I will say I do not think it was well written but i understand where he is coming from.
The problem I see on both sides of this debate is anger, intolerance and even hate.
In this forum alone the discussion turns downward right away.
Me too. I was 41 before I was able to break the brainwashing.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 17:28   #34
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowJ View Post
I am a Christian. I appreciate these ideas. You are not going to talk me out of believing in God, and I am not going to talk you into it, but I am curious (as in I am not trying to stump you) as to your view on the where the "stuff" of the universe came from, and how life started. I am a theistic evolutionist and believe God used directed evolution after He created the stuff of the universe and life. Also, what about information theory...how does information i.e. the data encoded in DNA evolve? Again, I am just interested in your solution to these problems. I respect you regardless of your views.
We will never know all about creation there is to know. If time is infinite, no matter how far back we go, there will always be something before.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 17:48   #35
Sarge1400
Senior Member
 
Sarge1400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
What amazes me is that compared to all that's knowable in this universe, mankind's total knowledge is less than one drop of water in all the world's oceans.

Yet with that extremely limited knowledge, some people can declare, with certainty, that there's no God.

And if there is a God, he must really be screwed up.

Do you really think you've got it all figured out?
If you've been paying attention (you haven't), you'd remember the countless times that atheists have admitted to not having it all figured out. But, we continue to figure out more and more as time progresses, and occasionally have to modify what we believe due to new evidence being uncovered.
YOU, on the other hand, think you've got it all figured out (god did it), and intentionally bury your head in the sand (or some other dark place) and refuse to look at anything else, lest your precious little fairy tale be torn to shreds.
We seek the truth, whatever it may be. You hide from it.
Sarge1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 18:20   #36
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter
 
Green_Manelishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On the edge but not quite over ...
Posts: 6,591
Summed up: he hates God.
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 18:48   #37
Sarge1400
Senior Member
 
Sarge1400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Manelishi View Post
Summed up: he hates God.
Riiiiiiight. I also hate the Easter Bunny, Santa, Odin, The FSM, leprechauns, aliens, chupacabra, and the plethora of other mythical beings. [/sarcasm off]. Intentional or not, you are a laugh a minute, thanks for the entertainment. Now, put your special helmet on and go outside to play.
Sarge1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 18:57   #38
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter
 
Green_Manelishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On the edge but not quite over ...
Posts: 6,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge1400 View Post
Riiiiiiight. I also hate the Easter Bunny, Santa, Odin, The FSM, leprechauns, aliens, chupacabra, and the plethora of other mythical beings. [/sarcasm off]. Intentional or not, you are a laugh a minute, thanks for the entertainment. Now, put your special helmet on and go outside to play.
I can understand why you hate God, but I wonder how much a nutter you must be to hate the Easter Bunny, Santa and the others. To which "special helmet" are you referring? Unlike myself, who you seem to believe is "a laugh a minute" you are not even remotely clever or humorous.

Last edited by Green_Manelishi; 09-15-2012 at 19:08..
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 18:59   #39
John Rambo
Raven
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 8,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge1400 View Post
Riiiiiiight. I also hate the Easter Bunny, Santa, Odin, The FSM, leprechauns, aliens, chupacabra, and the plethora of other mythical beings. [/sarcasm off]. Intentional or not, you are a laugh a minute, thanks for the entertainment. Now, put your special helmet on and go outside to play.
Real effing nice, pal. Odin slays the Frost Giants for you and you hate him.


John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 19:08   #40
Sarge1400
Senior Member
 
Sarge1400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Real effing nice, pal. Odin slays the Frost Giants for you and you hate him.


It's just that I'm jealous of big, muscular Norske dudes. They get all the hot chicks.
Sarge1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 19:09   #41
BuzznRose
Senior Member
 
BuzznRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Posts: 339
Why do atheists even give a crap about folks who have Faith? Make no sense to me.

But another observation wis while they are swift to argue with Christians and Jews, they are tolerant of Muslims. Scared?


"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway."
-- John Wayne
__________________
"The wolf cares not, how many the sheep be." Plato
BuzznRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 19:11   #42
Sarge1400
Senior Member
 
Sarge1400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Manelishi View Post
I can understand why you hate God, but I wonder how much a nutter you must be to hate the Easter Bunny, Santa and the others. To which "special helmet" are you referring? Unlike myself, who you seem to believe is "a laugh a minute" you are not even remotely clever or humorous.
Watch out, Narcissus, your ego is showing.
Sarge1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 19:18   #43
Sarge1400
Senior Member
 
Sarge1400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzznRose View Post
Why do atheists even give a crap about folks who have Faith? Make no sense to me.

But another observation wis while they are swift to argue with Christians and Jews, they are tolerant of Muslims. Scared?


"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway."
-- John Wayne
Because your 'faith' is used to try to legislate what you think is 'right'. I'm tolerant of any person of any faith who keeps it to themselves and doesn't try to make laws based on......well, nothing, really. I don't support Sharia in the U.S. any more than I support a law against buying booze on Sunday because some religious nut thinks it's a sin.
Sarge1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 19:19   #44
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter
 
Green_Manelishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On the edge but not quite over ...
Posts: 6,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge1400 View Post
Watch out, Narcissus, your ego is showing.
Oh good. All that "self esteem" practice seems to be working.
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 19:21   #45
Sarge1400
Senior Member
 
Sarge1400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Manelishi View Post
Oh good. All that "self esteem" practice seems to be working.
In spades.
Sarge1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 19:24   #46
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter
 
Green_Manelishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On the edge but not quite over ...
Posts: 6,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge1400 View Post
Because your 'faith' is used to try to legislate what you think is 'right'. I'm tolerant of any person of any faith who keeps it to themselves and doesn't try to make laws based on......well, nothing, really. I don't support Sharia in the U.S. any more than I support a law against buying booze on Sunday because some religious nut thinks it's a sin.
Why are you in a RI forum? Trying to shout down the believers? It's not working. You are simply one man lost in the wilderness, raging at the God in whom you don't believe.

Though now I see part of your problem. You ran out of MD 20/20 on a Sunday morning and had to wait until Monday to get completely blootered.
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 19:33   #47
Sarge1400
Senior Member
 
Sarge1400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Manelishi View Post
Why are you in a RI forum? Trying to shout down the believers? It's not working. You are simply one man lost in the wilderness, raging at the God in whom you don't believe.
I'm not lost anywhere. I don't rage against that in which I don't believe, that would be silly. However, idiots piss me off, and you made the list.

Though now I see part of your problem. You ran out of MD 20/20 on a Sunday morning and had to wait until Monday to get completely blootered.[/QUOTE]

Mad Dog is too expensive, Thunderbird is my drink of choice; it's like formaldehyde, only in a neater bottle.
Sarge1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 19:38   #48
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter
 
Green_Manelishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On the edge but not quite over ...
Posts: 6,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge1400 View Post
I'm not lost anywhere. I don't rage against that in which I don't believe, that would be silly. However, idiots piss me off, and you made the list.
Whether or not you believe you are raging against God, your continued presence in this room seems to indicate otherwise, and that you insist all of us listen to your tantrums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge1400 View Post
Mad Dog is too expensive, Thunderbird is my drink of choice; it's like formaldehyde, only in a neater bottle.
Why am I not surprised. You might want to seek out a mission that caters to mens with your particular addiction. You will find Jesus there, waiting for you to come to your senses and put away the hate.
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 20:37   #49
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzznRose View Post
Why do atheists even give a crap about folks who have Faith? Make no sense to me.

But another observation wis while they are swift to argue with Christians and Jews, they are tolerant of Muslims. Scared?


"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway."
-- John Wayne
Well, if the Muslims want everyone to take off work on Fridays so we will all have three day weekends, I'm with them. If they want to start cutting off hands, I'll argue with them. So far they're not asking for much in the U.S. so there's nothing to argue about.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley

Last edited by muscogee; 09-16-2012 at 08:25.. Reason: typo
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 20:39   #50
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Manelishi View Post
Why are you in a RI forum? Trying to shout down the believers? It's not working. You are simply one man lost in the wilderness, raging at the God in whom you don't believe.
Because it's humorous. Glad you're back. You're always good for a laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Manelishi View Post
Though now I see part of your problem. You ran out of MD 20/20 on a Sunday morning and had to wait until Monday to get completely blootered.
Now, now, now, Matthew 22:36-40.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley

Last edited by muscogee; 09-15-2012 at 20:44..
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:13.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,235
370 Members
865 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42