SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:29   #21
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
some people can declare, with certainty, that there's no God.
I claim that YOUR God doesn't exist because I know you sacred text to be faulty and man made. I can't say for sure if there is a more complex being out there than us. There isn't any proof one way or the other. I don't need to understand the entire universe or be able to answer all of man's burning questions to know that your particular man made God is just an archaic pipe dream.

Quote:
And if there is a God, he must really be screwed up.
If it is your God yes... because we're screwed up and he made us in his image.

Quote:
Do you really think you've got it all figured out?
Enough to shoot down your miserable mythology.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:35   #22
SPIN2010
Searching ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
I'll even spit in his mouth for ya. If I met such a being I'd have a few bones to pick with them about how poorly they designed everything.
I believe the exact quote from satan was: Skin for Skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life.
SPIN2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:46   #23
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIN2010 View Post
I believe the exact quote from satan was: Skin for Skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life.
Hmmm... a quote from a being that was invented by men. Interesting. Here is another "Up, Up, and Away" (Superman).
Old 09-13-2012, 12:21   #24
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
What amazes me is that compared to all that's knowable in this universe, mankind's total knowledge is less than one drop of water in all the world's oceans.

Yet with that extremely limited knowledge, some people can declare, with certainty, that there's no God.

The atheists world is indeed a small and limited one.

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:28   #25
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
The thing is, Arrow, that scientists can't explain what happened in the 'Before Time/Space.' Nor can they explain why quantum mechanics exposes so much absurdity at the building block level of the universe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roering View Post
The atheists world is indeed a small and limited one.
Quote:
What amazes me is that compared to all that's knowable in this universe, mankind's total knowledge is less than one drop of water in all the world's oceans.

The Ekpyrotic Universe: Colliding Branes and the Origin of the Hot Big Bang - Justin Khoury (Princeton), Burt A. Ovrut (Univ of Pennsylvania), Paul J. Steinhardt (Princeton), Neil Turok (Cambridge)

Quote:
We propose a cosmological scenario in which the hot big bang universe is produced by the collision of a brane in the bulk space with a bounding orbifold plane, beginning from an otherwise cold, vacuous, static universe. The model addresses the cosmological horizon, flatness and monopole problems and generates a nearly scale-invariant spectrum of density perturbations without invoking superluminal expansion (inflation). The scenario relies, instead, on physical phenomena that arise naturally in theories based on extra dimensions and branes. As an example, we present our scenario predominantly within the context of heterotic M-theory. A prediction that distinguishes this scenario from standard inflationary cosmology is a strongly blue gravitational wave spectrum, which has consequences for microwave background polarization experiments and gravitational wave detectors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Geko45; 09-13-2012 at 12:31..
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:32   #26
G23Gen4TX

I only need one reason. It sounds like BS. That's it.
G23Gen4TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 13:46   #27
ArrowJ

Quote:
But it seems they are close to understanding how particles can simply just appear from nothing. That "Nothing" is some how unstable and will always give rise to "Something"... I know it sounds crazy.
I do not know. You have this man made document saying something inccredible happened, that neither he can explain fully nor you can wrap your mind around fully, but we are supposed to take it on faith that given enough time we will understand the full truth of this amazing claim that something can come from nothing? A little ironic perhaps.
ArrowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 14:04   #28
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowJ View Post
I do not know. You have this man made document saying something inccredible happened, that neither he can explain fully nor you can wrap your mind around fully, but we are supposed to take it on faith that given enough time we will understand the full truth of this amazing claim that something can come from nothing? A little ironic perhaps.
Not on faith, on math. A theory of elementary particle physics is not written in english, it is is written in mathematics. We try to come up with a set of analogies to try to describe the math in ways we can understand (strings, branes, waves, etc), but this is not the actual theory. This is referred to as an interpretation. Interpretations can be flawed and inconsistent and strange and that's ok because their only purpose is to help us conceptualize the math, but the math has to work out correctly every time (actual results match predicted results) in order for the theory to be considered valid and in this case they do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 09-13-2012, 14:07   #29
Glock36shooter

Quote:
It isn't perfect. But it's supported by tons more research and brilliant minds than what went into the construction of your book. So no... not really ironic.
Old 09-13-2012, 14:12   #30
2@low8

TO: Glock!9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock!9 View Post
I grew up in a Fundamental Baptist home and church, I am now in my mid 30s with a wife and 3 kids. i want nothing to do with Fundamental Baptists and I truly struggle with some of those 10 questions. I will say I do not think it was well written but i understand where he is coming from.
The problem I see on both sides of this debate is anger, intolerance and even hate.
In this forum alone the discussion turns downward right away.
Hope I don't break any forum rules for you Glock!9, but take a long read at www.stufffundieslike.com

Many, many folks have been where you have been...Myself included. PM me if you like.
Old 09-13-2012, 14:33   #31
ArrowJ

Quote:
It isn't perfect. But it's supported by tons more research and brilliant minds than what went into the construction of your book. So no... not really ironic.
Okie dokie.
ArrowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 14:38   #32
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
I'm sensing sarcasm here, but not sure which way you were going with it?

Last edited by Geko45; 09-13-2012 at 14:38..
Old 09-13-2012, 17:04   #33
muscogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock!9 View Post
I grew up in a Fundamental Baptist home and church, I am now in my mid 30s with a wife and 3 kids. i want nothing to do with Fundamental Baptists and I truly struggle with some of those 10 questions. I will say I do not think it was well written but i understand where he is coming from.
The problem I see on both sides of this debate is anger, intolerance and even hate.
In this forum alone the discussion turns downward right away.
Me too. I was 41 before I was able to break the brainwashing.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 17:28   #34
muscogee

Quote:
I am a Christian. I appreciate these ideas. You are not going to talk me out of believing in God, and I am not going to talk you into it, but I am curious (as in I am not trying to stump you) as to your view on the where the "stuff" of the universe came from, and how life started. I am a theistic evolutionist and believe God used directed evolution after He created the stuff of the universe and life. Also, what about information theory...how does information i.e. the data encoded in DNA evolve? Again, I am just interested in your solution to these problems. I respect you regardless of your views.
We will never know all about creation there is to know. If time is infinite, no matter how far back we go, there will always be something before.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 17:48   #35
Sarge1400

Quote:

Yet with that extremely limited knowledge, some people can declare, with certainty, that there's no God.

If you've been paying attention (you haven't), you'd remember the countless times that atheists have admitted to not having it all figured out. But, we continue to figure out more and more as time progresses, and occasionally have to modify what we believe due to new evidence being uncovered.
YOU, on the other hand, think you've got it all figured out (god did it), and intentionally bury your head in the sand (or some other dark place) and refuse to look at anything else, lest your precious little fairy tale be torn to shreds.
We seek the truth, whatever it may be. You hide from it.
Sarge1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 18:20   #36
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Summed up: he hates God.

Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 18:48   #37
Sarge1400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Manelishi View Post
Summed up: he hates God.
Riiiiiiight. I also hate the Easter Bunny, Santa, Odin, The FSM, leprechauns, aliens, chupacabra, and the plethora of other mythical beings. [/sarcasm off]. Intentional or not, you are a laugh a minute, thanks for the entertainment. Now, put your special helmet on and go outside to play.
Old 09-15-2012, 18:57   #38
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge1400 View Post
Riiiiiiight. I also hate the Easter Bunny, Santa, Odin, The FSM, leprechauns, aliens, chupacabra, and the plethora of other mythical beings. [/sarcasm off]. Intentional or not, you are a laugh a minute, thanks for the entertainment. Now, put your special helmet on and go outside to play.
I can understand why you hate God, but I wonder how much a nutter you must be to hate the Easter Bunny, Santa and the others. To which "special helmet" are you referring? Unlike myself, who you seem to believe is "a laugh a minute" you are not even remotely clever or humorous.

Last edited by Green_Manelishi; 09-15-2012 at 19:08..
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 18:59   #39
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge1400 View Post
Real effing nice, pal. Odin slays the Frost Giants for you and you hate him.

John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 19:08   #40
Sarge1400

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Real effing nice, pal. Odin slays the Frost Giants for you and you hate him.

It's just that I'm jealous of big, muscular Norske dudes. They get all the hot chicks.