GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 22:22   #1
Altaris
Senior Member
 
Altaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 12,128
The Top 10 Reasons I Donít Believe in God

One of my friends emailed this to me today. It is a pretty long article, but I found it well done. Many of the points made are things we see going on here constantly.


http://churchandstate.org.uk/2012/04...elieve-in-god/
__________________
To Alcohol !
The cause of, and solution to, all of lifes problems
-Homer Simpson-
Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:24   #2
Lone Wolf8634
:):
 
Lone Wolf8634's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Under the bus
Posts: 6,548
A very well thought out list of arguments. Rational, logical and completely reasonable arguments that should, at the very least, make a person stop and think.

All of which have been repeated here over and over again with little to no effect. At least no effect on those that regularly post.

Hopefully they may be working on those that just read.
__________________
"Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self esteem, be sure that you are not, in fact, surrounded by A-holes." - William Gibson

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson
Lone Wolf8634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:29   #3
eracer
Where's my EBT?
 
eracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 6,722
Logic has no place where faith is accepted without question.
__________________
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:41   #4
ArrowJ
Senior Member
 
ArrowJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 276
I am a Christian. I appreciate these ideas. You are not going to talk me out of believing in God, and I am not going to talk you into it, but I am curious (as in I am not trying to stump you) as to your view on the where the "stuff" of the universe came from, and how life started. I am a theistic evolutionist and believe God used directed evolution after He created the stuff of the universe and life. Also, what about information theory...how does information i.e. the data encoded in DNA evolve? Again, I am just interested in your solution to these problems. I respect you regardless of your views.
ArrowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:54   #5
eracer
Where's my EBT?
 
eracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 6,722
The thing is, Arrow, that scientists can't explain what happened in the 'Before Time/Space.' Nor can they explain why quantum mechanics exposes so much absurdity at the building block level of the universe.

I for one believe that the answer to the debate between theists and humanists is simple: We are children, barely beginning to discern the truth.

Some theists are beginning to appreciate that the search for truth is not heresy.

That's a good thing. And many humanists are beginning to grasp the concept that the incredible complexity of the physical universe we are starting to understand points us to a spiritual (or at least metaphysical) puzzle that can't be ignored.

Again, we are barely beyond the infant stage in our understanding of the true nature of things. To bicker and argue about it is a toddler's game. We should all wonder (and wonder at) this amazing thing we call life.

Logic has its place, as does faith. We should all seek the truth - together.
__________________
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks

Last edited by eracer; 09-13-2012 at 06:55..
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:04   #6
ArrowJ
Senior Member
 
ArrowJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 276
Well put.
ArrowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:20   #7
RC-RAMIE
Senior Member
 
RC-RAMIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
That's a good thing. And many humanists are beginning to grasp the concept that the incredible complexity of the physical universe we are starting to understand points us to a spiritual (or at least metaphysical) puzzle that can't be ignored.
Can you expand on this point with some examples?
RC-RAMIE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:48   #8
bobandshawn
BOBO
 
bobandshawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tampa
Posts: 207
Good read...sums up things pretty well.

~Bob
__________________
Colt TALO CCO
Sig Sauer P220
Rock Island Compact Tactical
bobandshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:49   #9
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowJ View Post
but I am curious (as in I am not trying to stump you) as to your view on the where the "stuff" of the universe came from,
Well we are learning that simple elements like those that make up stars can be created from pure energy. With enough energy you can manufacture the building blocks of stars. And within stars other more complex elements can be created. So it's a bit of a chain reaction. The "stuff" didn't need to be there first. Just energy. As for where the energy comes from... I'm currently reading a book by Lawrence Krauss called "A Universe From Nothing". I'm trying to wrap my head around it but it seems they are close to understanding how particles can simply just appear from nothing. That "Nothing" is some how unstable and will always give rise to "Something"... I know it sounds crazy. I'm not gonna even try to explain it because as of yet... I don't understand it myself. But I'm learning.

Quote:
and how life started.
We are very close to recreating abiogenesis in a lab. In very basic terms we are close to understanding how, in the right conditions, RNA can simply come into being on its own via chemistry. And RNA is the foundation of DNA. And so on and so on. Apparently life is a chemical reaction and you just need the right mixture of ingredients to get it rolling. Why here? all the conditions are right. If they weren't we wouldn't be here to question it. And it's probably happening on other planets that just so happen to be in the right place with the right grocery list of ingredients.

Quote:
what about information theory...how does information i.e. the data encoded in DNA evolve?
I'd enjoy reading what some of our more learned members have to offer on that as well.

Last edited by Glock36shooter; 09-13-2012 at 10:04..
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:56   #10
Syclone538
Senior Member
 
Syclone538's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowJ View Post
I am a Christian. I appreciate these ideas. You are not going to talk me out of believing in God, and I am not going to talk you into it, but I am curious (as in I am not trying to stump you) as to your view on the where the "stuff" of the universe came from, and how life started. I am a theistic evolutionist and believe God used directed evolution after He created the stuff of the universe and life. Also, what about information theory...how does information i.e. the data encoded in DNA evolve? Again, I am just interested in your solution to these problems. I respect you regardless of your views.
I don't know. Not knowing does not mean a god did it.
__________________
Some people want freedom, even for those they disagree with, and some don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
...
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
...
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:03   #11
Syclone538
Senior Member
 
Syclone538's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Well we are learning that simple elements like those that make up stars can be created from pure energy. With enough energy you can manufacture the building blocks of stars. And within stars other more complex elements can be created. So it's a bit of a chain reaction. The "stuff" didn't need to be there first. Just energy. As for where the energy comes from... I'm currently reading a book by Lawrence Krauss called "A Universe From Nothing". I'm trying to wrap my head around it but it seems they are close to understanding how particles can simply just appear from nothing. That "Nothing" is some how unstable and will always give rise to "Something"... I know it sounds crazy. I'm not gonna even try to explain it because as of yet... I don't understand it myself. But I'm learning.
...
Lawrence Krauss has a lot of stuff on youtube. I have generally leaned toward the cyclical model, because matter energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted, as far as I know, and it answers the question of where matter/energy came from with, it's always been. Lawrence Krauss has made me reconsider that.
__________________
Some people want freedom, even for those they disagree with, and some don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
...
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
...
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:11   #12
JBnTX
God Bless Texas
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Between The Red And Rio Grande
Posts: 14,845
When you stand before God, tell him those 10 reasons.

(What I'd give to be a fly on the wall during that conversation.)
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:13   #13
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
When you stand before God, tell him those 10 reasons.

(What I'd give to be a fly on the wall during that conversation.)
The old fear tactic huh? Believe or face his WRATH! LOL. How silly.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:15   #14
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone538 View Post
Lawrence Krauss has a lot of stuff on youtube. I have generally leaned toward the cyclical model, because matter energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted, as far as I know, and it answers the question of where matter/energy came from with, it's always been. Lawrence Krauss has made me reconsider that.
It's bending my mind a little but I'm trying to consume as much of it as possible.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:17   #15
JBnTX
God Bless Texas
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Between The Red And Rio Grande
Posts: 14,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post

The old fear tactic huh? Believe or face his WRATH! LOL. How silly.

Tell HIM that, too.....
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:20   #16
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Tell HIM that, too.....
I'll even spit in his mouth for ya. If I met such a being I'd have a few bones to pick with them about how poorly they designed everything.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:35   #17
JBnTX
God Bless Texas
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Between The Red And Rio Grande
Posts: 14,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post

I'll even spit in his mouth for ya. If I met such a being I'd have a few bones to pick with them about how poorly they designed everything.

Would that be before or after God revealed his intentions to you?
Before or after you gained full awareness of his plan for you and all mankind?
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:39   #18
Glock!9
Senior Member
 
Glock!9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 3,397
Send a message via AIM to Glock!9
I grew up in a Fundamental Baptist home and church, I am now in my mid 30s with a wife and 3 kids. i want nothing to do with Fundamental Baptists and I truly struggle with some of those 10 questions. I will say I do not think it was well written but i understand where he is coming from.
The problem I see on both sides of this debate is anger, intolerance and even hate.
In this forum alone the discussion turns downward right away.
__________________
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Glock!9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:52   #19
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Would that be before or after God revealed his intentions to you?
Before or after you gained full awareness of his plan for you and all mankind?
Either way. I'd want to know why 99% of all species to ever in habit this planet went extinct? Why people are born with deformities and genetic diseases that cause them to suffer greatly (I mean he designed them right?)? And why He allows innocent people to suffer if he claims to love them so much? And why... if he's so damn perfect can't he have pulled of his wonderful mystical plan without leaving a trail of broken and suffering people in his path. There is no plan, and your imaginary friend isn't there.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:03   #20
JBnTX
God Bless Texas
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Between The Red And Rio Grande
Posts: 14,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Either way. I'd want to know why 99% of all species to ever in habit this planet went extinct? Why people are born with deformities and genetic diseases that cause them to suffer greatly (I mean he designed them right?)? And why He allows innocent people to suffer if he claims to love them so much? And why... if he's so damn perfect can't he have pulled of his wonderful mystical plan without leaving a trail of broken and suffering people in his path. There is no plan, and your imaginary friend isn't there.

What amazes me is that compared to all that's knowable in this universe, mankind's total knowledge is less than one drop of water in all the world's oceans.

Yet with that extremely limited knowledge, some people can declare, with certainty, that there's no God.

And if there is a God, he must really be screwed up.

Do you really think you've got it all figured out?
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 20:39.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,153
335 Members
818 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31