SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:10   #61
scccdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Down toward Stuttgart probably..? I hunt, but never could get into duck hunting. (Or bird hunting or fishing - basically, I hunt mammals I guess.) But duck hunting seems the worst of all of them to me personally. Getting up before dawn? Sure, do it most days. But get up before dawn just to put on rubber pants and stand in cold water? Not for me at all.

I always tell people that you can't say "duck hunting" without saying "duh".

Again +1. One of my favorite lines in these discussions is that ALL shtf situations have one thing in common. Whether it's Katrina, an ice storm, the LA-King riots or even WW2, they have one common factor - they all ended at some point. That "some point" may be 72 hours or it may be 72 months; but it does eventually arrive. And when it arrives, we'll have to be ready to deal with the fallout of our actions taken in the interim. The authorities, our neighbors, and the man in the mirror all need to be able to believe that what we did during "that time" was right.

There are some who say that education is the most powerful thing in the world and some who say that love is the most powerful. Personally, I've come to believe that regret may be the most powerful thing, and I've already got enough of that in my life. I suspect that anyone with decent character likely has more of it than they want.

Would I do 'whatever' it took to protect my family? Sure. But that doesn't mean I have to look forward to it, or do it lightly.

On the "which approach" question (fight, flight, etc), the best way to not get hit imo is to not be a target, at least not any more than can be avoided - you never lose a fight that you don't get into. I may or may not get shot by the guy shooting in my direction, but I absolutely WON'T get shot by someone who's NOT shooting in my direction.

It's not practical or logical to think that we can guarantee we avoid all conflict - if it was, we could all sell our guns. But it's prudent & logical to do everything in our power to avoid as many as our conscience allows. If ethics, morality, or just lack of options, make a fight necessary, then by all means fight like a rabid dog on meth; but that's way down on my list as far as personal preferences.
Been to Stuttgart only once,but have hunted White River, various private land (made friends with a logger who hunted),and Bayou Meade (?). But I'm past those years,gotten lazy!....... DOC
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:21   #62
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by scccdoc View Post
Been to Stuttgart only once,but have hunted White River, various private land (made friends with a logger who hunted),and Bayou Meade (?). But I'm past those years,gotten lazy!....... DOC
Bayou Meto probably; good area.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:31   #63
ICARRY2
NRA Life Member

What "non-threatening" person is he going to send and how is that person going to find out who has what without being detected?

Also, what makes him think I'm going to just sit and watch him and 30 criminal street gang members roll up to my front door without doing anything (like opening fire) while he tries to force his way into my home?

As someone noted earlier gangs are about fear and intimidation.
His videos are merely meant to intimidate us. He and most gangbangers are a bunch of welfare twats without a brain or an ounce of common sense.

They will die off or be too weak to start heading for the burbs.
ICARRY2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:40   #64
scccdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Bayou Meto probably; good area.
Killed a ton of ducks in there, good times
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 13:07   #65
beatcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICARRY2 View Post
What "non-threatening" person is he going to send and how is that person going to find out who has what without being detected?
It could happen by accident. Some poor lady w/child is starving and you give them some food...a group stops them and shakes them down for the food and intel. "Yeah, the gray house with the long driveway", "..really, how many guys live there?".

Most people are not going to shoot down an unarmed person walking up to the house, let alone torture someone. They fear being held accountable for their actions, as well as being restrained by moral fiber.

We all start with a store some food and take a few precautions mentality here and then progress to concertina wire and sandbags because there's always a "what if" or an escalation of the scenario. People can't even survive a hurricane, but are going to use small unit tactics?

Last edited by beatcop; 09-11-2012 at 13:08..
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 13:24   #66
PaulMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcop View Post
It could happen by accident. Some poor lady w/child is starving and you give them some food...a group stops them and shakes them down for the food and intel. "Yeah, the gray house with the long driveway", "..really, how many guys live there?".
Man, woman, small child, and baby in arms of mother walk up and ask for help - see what they can see and report back?

Have all binoculars and scopes disappeared because TSHTF? Or is it that they only work in the hands of the good guys.

------

I think much of what the guy in the video says is true - some preppers have all the answers, think like defenders not attackers, think the attackers are stupid etc.

The army has war games just for these reasons - to find out the weaknesses in their plans.
PaulMason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 13:25   #67
mac66
Plant the seed

Reality check time...

In the 20th and 21st century to date, name one catastrophic event in this country that precipitated the kind of scenarios you guys are talking about?....(cricket sounds )

What on God's green earth makes you think that the US will suddenly go Barbarian?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 13:35   #68
PaulMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
Reality check time...

In the 20th and 21st century to date, name one catastrophic event in this country that precipitated the kind of scenarios you guys are talking about?....(cricket sounds )

What on God's green earth makes you think that the US will suddenly go Barbarian?
Where did anyone said it did or would?

Last edited by PaulMason; 09-11-2012 at 13:51..
Old 09-11-2012, 16:39   #69
ICARRY2
NRA Life Member

Quote:

Most people are not going to shoot down an unarmed person walking up to the house, let alone torture someone. They fear being held accountable for their actions, as well as being restrained by moral fiber.

We all start with a store some food and take a few precautions mentality here and then progress to concertina wire and sandbags because there's always a "what if" or an escalation of the scenario. People can't even survive a hurricane, but are going to use small unit tactics?
Thats my point. Those people stand out.

When people start asking questions or strangers start needing help, I start getting very quiet and become very alert.
ICARRY2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 18:23   #70
Unistat

Quote:
Reality check time...

Nobody is saying it will, however, three points.

1. Google Normalcy Bias. Your post is the very definition of it.

2. The barbarians are already here. They are always there within any civilization, supressed until there is a catastrophy that allows them to act with relative impunity. What do you think the criminal element is?

3. Even without a nationwide breakdown, individual areas of the U.S. may experience periods of disaster or unrest that cause local conditions where this type of threat exists. Off the top of my head, in the 20th Cen. we had the Great Depression and all sorts of riots. In the 21st we had Katrina and the current trend of flash mobs ransacking businesses and neighborhoods.

History is the ultimate "Reality Check." You were the one to invoke it, I hope you can learn from it. Disasters happen. Bad people and mobs act barbarous. Smart people prepare for that.

No society lasts forever or unscathed. What is magic about the 20th & 21st Century that makes you think civil war or other major disruption can't happen in the future? The vast majority of humanity has historically lived with the threat of displacement and barbarianism.

We have been fortunate (and I believe especially blessed) that in America this there has not been an existential threat on our soil for 250 years. The rest of the world, including advanced 1st world countries, have not been that blessed.

Last edited by Unistat; 09-11-2012 at 18:47..
Unistat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 20:28   #71
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Reality check time...

So, because its been a little over a hundred years since its happened, that means it can't ever happen again?

No one is saying its going to, or it will, or when. We're simply talking about what could happen.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:24   #72
beatcop

That "normalcy bias" pretty much nailed it down.

The USA may have a decent track record, however humanity doesn't...Serbs, Croats, Liberia, etc.

The old "thin veneer of society" saying comes into play. Sometimes the appearance of a good defense just keeps honest people honest....or at least from entertaining thoughts of shopping at your house.

Quote:
You guys really believe in all this Jericho prepping **** don't you? Crazy
-seatbelts, full tank of gas, full shelves, a gun, etc....it's called cheap insurance. I think it satisfies some primitive brain need...some people have been deprogrammed over thousands of years to even acknowledge "safety issues".

Last edited by beatcop; 09-12-2012 at 07:30..
Old 09-12-2012, 08:25   #73
Foxtrotx1

Quote:

The USA may have a decent track record, however humanity doesn't...Serbs, Croats, Liberia, etc.

The old "thin veneer of society" saying comes into play. Sometimes the appearance of a good defense just keeps honest people honest....or at least from entertaining thoughts of shopping at your house.

-seatbelts, full tank of gas, full shelves, a gun, etc....it's called cheap insurance. I think it satisfies some primitive brain need...some people have been deprogrammed over thousands of years to even acknowledge "safety issues".
I understand being prepared for bad weather, but the complete downfall of society?

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:37   #74
PaulMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrotx1 View Post
I understand being prepared for bad weather, but the complete downfall of society?
My thinking is that if a person doesn't like guns, don't buy one. But, don't take away people's right to have a gun. If a person doesn't wants to prepare for rain but not to prepare for a hurricane that is their choice.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:37   #75
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

No well thought out plan survives first engagement.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:40   #76
PaulMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
No well thought out plan survives first engagement.
“He who fails to plan, plans to fail”
Old 09-12-2012, 08:44   #77
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrotx1 View Post
Insurance is just that,no matter what the cause or need.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:14   #78
beatcop

Downfall? Probably not likely.

Some freak incident: EMP, swine flu, etc. Localized issues due to weather, civil issues (riot, summit meeting). The EMP scenario would be ugly...I wonder what the threat assessment from the 3 letter agencies is.
Old 09-12-2012, 18:01   #79
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:

In the threat/risk assessment business they have a little thing they use called a risk/threat assessment matrix. This matrix helps one figure out what the threats are and what to spend your time, energy and money on to protect or mitigate those threats. The determining factors are "Probability, Vulnerability, Criticality and Mitigation." Probability is frequency/likleyhood of occurrence. Vulnerability is how susceptible you are to a specific threat/risk. Criticality is what impact it will have on you and Mitigation is what countermeasures or things are in place to lessen the impact should it occur.

One places numerical value on each from lowest to highest and then figures out a base value. Using the highest average value determines the priority one places on addressing the threat.

For example, one calls the police department and finds out the biggest threat in ones neighborhood is the theft of lawn mowers from unsecured garages. So the person does a matrix and determines they yes it is very likely to happen since he has a lawnmower in an area where they are being stolen. He is vulnerable because he has an unsecured garage and it is critical because he cuts grass for a living. He does not have homeowners insurance so has nothing to mitigate his loss.

So he goes on Glock Talk to find out what to do. Some people suggest a lawn mower rifle, while some suggest a shotgun. Others debate whether a 9mm or 45 is best for penetration. Eventually someone suggests that gangs of lawnmower thieves present a problem so you need a tier one AR with a mountain of ammo.

Hey, don't have normalcy bias, it could happen.

Some EMT guy suggests wearing soft body armor to bed with night vision goggles while mounting a flame thrower on a hot dog cart.

That completely off topic debate swirls around in the bowl for a week or two before someone calls for a reality check. "Hey, just lock your garage" says he. Reality check boy is angrily denounced as buzz kill and party pooper and sheepishly slips away to watch from the side lines from now on.

mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 18:26   #80
beatcop

^ lol I have a been issued a few risk matrix templates from the .mil
A 15 minute block of instruction would probably go a long way in helping folks make more sound decisions.