Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-24-2012, 00:05   #1
willy1094

Send a message via AIM to willy1094
Gun stolen then returned with a message

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...190158697.html

While the person that took the gun didn't use their BEST judgement, I don't see a need for police to try to charge them. It is obvious that the person was not stealing the gun.
willy1094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 00:12   #2
youngdocglock

Carring a loaded gun in a cars is fine.....leaving it in the car.....unlocked......not so much

I have made this post on my phone. If I spell like a two year old. Blame Android. Not me
Old 08-24-2012, 00:20   #3
Rock Hound
Earth Churner

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy1094 View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...190158697.html

While the person that took the gun didn't use their BEST judgement, I don't see a need for police to try to charge them. It is obvious that the person was not stealing the gun.
But they did steal it regardless what they do with it afterward. They also stole his ammo. Oh and wth were they doing in someone else car anyway? A late night complimentary shampoo and vacuum?
Rock Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 00:25   #4
youngdocglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Hound View Post
But they did steal it regardless what they do with it afterward. They also stole his ammo. Oh and wth were they doing in someone else car anyway? A late night complimentary shampoo and vacuum?
Was probably a friend or neighbor. Who knew it sas there. And did they really steal the gun. Doesnt say anywhere that it left his property, just that it moved from his car to his porch. In that case.....no theft just unauthorized transport of about 15 feet.

"Mike Maisonneuve told local police that a gun with bullets and a knife were stolen from his unlocked car in his driveway,*WPBF-TV reports.But when he started to go back into his house, he noticed a bag next to the door with words scrawled on both sides."

I have made this post on my phone. If I spell like a two year old. Blame Android. Not me

Last edited by youngdocglock; 08-24-2012 at 00:26..
youngdocglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 00:27   #5
HKUSP.40

Not that I support the suspect's actions...but there's no denying that he/she made a factual statement. I highly doubt that his vehicle just HAPPENED to be "randomly" picked to be burglarized. Odds are the gun owner ALWAYS keeps his gun in his unlocked vehicle and someone who knows he does did this. Chalk it up to lesson learned and move on. No need to waste police resources on an irresponsible gun owner's mistake.
HKUSP.40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 00:43   #6
willy1094

I agree, it had to be someone that knew this person and knew that this person left the gun in the unlocked car. Since the gun was located (from what I understand the article as saying) on the porch the entire time I took it as whoever took the gun just moved it. I don't think you would just get into someone's car but this person had a very valid point to make. The point made will probably stick with this guy a lot longer than someone just telling him it is not a good idea. I can imagine how it is a good idea to charge a person with armed burglary for something like this. Maybe the police should show this much aggression towards a real criminal. But them again, they may have just made that comment to deter others from doing this and shoved the report in some deep dark place to never be looked at again.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:43   #7
n0leafcl0ver

i think this is a great story,on the other hand... if a kid would have gotten in the car, gotten the pistol and killed someone or himself it would only give those gun snatchin lib's more ammo.
n0leafcl0ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:49   #8
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Two wrongs don't make a right. The guy that took the gun needs to be arrested and charged for his crime regardless.

On another note, the guy who left the gun unattended needs his permit pulled.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:20   #9
willy1094

The gun was never taken, just moved. Charge him for the theft of the ammo. Either wad, you really think ARMED burg is the proper charge? I also have to say that sometimes a wrong can make a right. Not saying this is such a case, or that it isn't either.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:53   #10
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

I'm not seeing any intent to permanently deprive the moron of his lucky charm.

So in AZ, no case. And I'd laugh at the gun owner who called this in.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 13:20   #11
poodleplumber

Quote:
The gun was never taken, just moved. Charge him for the theft of the ammo. Either wad, you really think ARMED burg is the proper charge?
Regarding the armed burglary, I am afraid they might be saying that the "burglar" armed himself momentarily with the pistol that you (and I) think was moved, and that they are saying was stolen and returned.

I hope that either they don't solve the case, or that the charges are thrown out. It seems to me the person who committed this "crime" was a Good Samaritan sort, more responsible than the firearm owner.

I can't help pointing out that under Florida law, it is a crime to leave a firearm in a place accessible by a child, so I have to wonder how it is twisted around that the negligent person is facing no charges and the person who unloaded an abandoned pistol and returned it to its owner is being pursued by law enforcement.
poodleplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 13:40   #12
Gunnut 45/454

They both need to be charged- gun owner for leaving a loaded -unsecured friearm about- and the good natured thief for be a thief! He could have done the right thing called POPO an let them handle it! Sounds like the gun was just laying in the car?

Last edited by Gunnut 45/454; 08-24-2012 at 13:42..
Gunnut 45/454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 16:10   #13
Schlitz

Is this worth wasting law enforcement's time? The guys gun wasn't stolen and he was taught a lesson. Honestly, if I were the "victim" I would be so embarrassed. The last thing I would do is call the cops and the media to show everyone how stupid I was. This guy was just made a fool of, and now he's on TV?
Old 08-25-2012, 02:11   #14
Rock Hound
Earth Churner

He must have ran in frantic circles....

Quick call the cops! Someone broke into the truck and stole my pistol!

Oh, darn quick honey, call em back and tell em nevermind. Its right here.

Too late dear...

Uh, hi officer..um.....
Rock Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:05   #15
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
Is this worth wasting law enforcement's time? The guys gun wasn't stolen and he was taught a lesson. Honestly, if I were the "victim" I would be so embarrassed. The last thing I would do is call the cops and the media to show everyone how stupid I was. This guy was just made a fool of, and now he's on TV?
Heck, maybe the police need to find the person and give him/her a Commendation Certificate..."In recognition of "Joe/Jane Citizen" for pointing out to a dumb*** that he really is a dumb***."

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:19   #16
guitargene82
Taggin along...

Oh...

Port st lucie... That explains it! I wonder if it's the guys wife that called 911 when Mcdonalds ran out of fries?
Old 08-25-2012, 06:29   #17
Rovingarcher

I don't think the cops are looking too hard for the concerned neighbor.It is obvious he (the owner) took it out of his car and showed the neighbor his nice loaded gun at one time or another.There were 2 children killed with loaded guns left in vehicals last winter in the Seattle Tacoma area.One was a cops kid.I'll never know why a guy would leave a loaded gun in his car with kids,let alone one in the chamber.The kids were youg enough that neither could have worked the action to load it.
Rovingarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 14:36   #18
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Two wrongs don't make a right. The guy that took the gun needs to be arrested and charged for his crime regardless.

On another note, the guy who left the gun unattended needs his permit pulled.
Seriously? While I don't agree with what he did. Locked in truck of car/doors locked would have been better.
I guess I should have been arrested for Grand theft auto, theft of firearms, radios, equipment? We had a City cop who didn't lock squad. I mentioned it a number of times/told him I was going to steal it if he kept it up. So I did. I happen to be in town/see him run in for chow/office/etc I would walk over to squad, hop in, take off. Then call him on local channel about a white crown vic in swamp, rolled in ditch/etc. He comes out and NO crown vic. So he has to ask me to bring it back. Soon he learnded to lock it. (I had keys but only took it if unlocked)
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 16:08   #19
dkf

So the person(s) that took the firearm were SO concerned about the gun being stolen they left it outside of a door for anyone to come pick it up? Yeah ok.

The person trespassed on his private property and opened the door to his car and took an item out of it. I'm not saying keeping the gun in his car was a good idea but he was basically a victim of theft.

Going by the reasoning of many here if you forget to lock the door or window to your house it is your fault if someone comes in takes your stuff and moves it all around. Yeah real sound logic there.

Quote:
Seriously? While I don't agree with what he did. Locked in truck of car/doors locked would have been better.
I guess I should have been arrested for Grand theft auto, theft of firearms, radios, equipment? We had a City cop who didn't lock squad. I mentioned it a number of times/told him I was going to steal it if he kept it up. So I did. I happen to be in town/see him run in for chow/office/etc I would walk over to squad, hop in, take off. Then call him on local channel about a white crown vic in swamp, rolled in ditch/etc. He comes out and NO crown vic. So he has to ask me to bring it back. Soon he learnded to lock it. (I had keys but only took it if unlocked)
So I take it you do not have supervisors to report that to? I would have reprimanded BOTH of you.
Quote:
I guess I should have been arrested for Grand theft auto, theft of firearms, radios, equipment?
If a civilian would have done the same thing you did they would be charged, no doubt about it. Oh thats right, "thin blue line" makes it ok.

Last edited by dkf; 08-26-2012 at 16:14..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 16:52   #20
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Oh, there is a perfect example of what not to do.

How did the guy know it was there, was he just checking all the unlocked cars in the area to see what they had?

At least two people in that neighborhood need to get a lot smarter quickly.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 16:58   #21
TheExplorer

We recently had a rash of "unloked" car break ins by me and there were three loaded guns taken from glove boxes. That kind of negligence really bothers me. They caught the guys, but of course no guns at their place. There should be a law against that if there isn't. I didn't hear of any of the owners being charged with anything.

Last edited by TheExplorer; 08-26-2012 at 17:00..
TheExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 17:14   #22
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExplorer View Post
We recently had a rash of "unloked" car break ins by me and there were three loaded guns taken from glove boxes. That kind of negligence really bothers me. They caught the guys, but of course no guns at their place. There should be a law against that if there isn't. I didn't hear of any of the owners being charged with anything.
It is illegal to steal a gun, BUT it got stolen anyway. Just because there is law for something does not mean it will be at all effective or prevent anything.

What will most likely happen is you just will not have the victims of the theft report that the gun was stolen.

Last edited by dkf; 08-26-2012 at 17:14..
Old 08-26-2012, 17:24   #23
TheExplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
What will most likely happen is you just will not have the victims of the theft report that the gun was stolen.
UNTIL, it is used in a crime. Then the owners will be up $%@!( creek for not reporting it.
Old 08-26-2012, 17:32   #24
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExplorer View Post
UNTIL, it is used in a crime. Then the owners will be up $%@!( creek for not reporting it.
In a perfect world maybe. The serial numbers will probably be gone by then or the gun will end up at the bottom of a river.
Old 08-26-2012, 17:35   #25
TheExplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
In a perfect world maybe. The serial numbers will probably be gone by then or the gun will end up at the bottom of a river.
Agreed.